Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:02:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Necronomicon thread: Altcoins which are dead.  (Read 43841 times)
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:10:37 PM

Is feathercoin dead yet.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:34:06 PM

Protoshares(PTS) should not be in this list, its very alive.

Ah.  Found "Protoshares" in an old list but not with a current market cap.  "Bitshares" with a market cap of a little over $5M now has the symbol PTS.  I've removed Protoshares for the time being, on the assumption that I just blew it on following a name change.

UFO ist double listed.

Fixed, thanks.

Mousecoin (wallet-stealing-scam) is missing.

Ooooh, I didn't know about that one.  Thanks for the pointer.

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:34:53 PM

Is feathercoin dead yet.

Nope.  Market cap is still over $3M. 

spinnel

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:39:53 PM

Cryptocointalk has a section for DYING OTHER ALGO CRYPTOCOINS

https://cryptocointalk.com/forum/888-dying-other-algo-cryptocoins/

This contains Kimcoin, Kingcoin, Obamacoin, Secondscoin, and Zurcoin
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 02:56:29 PM

You should have different sections:

• Skeletons: Really dead, no way to revive them
  • Zombies: $0 < Market cap < $5000, alive blockchain
  • Warm bodies: $5000 < Market cap < $15000

Wink

georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 03:06:30 PM

Wink

Good point.

With that in mind, it should be possible to create a website that automatically tracks and estimates the "liveliness" of a coin.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:25:41 PM

Wink

I like the idea of organizing this better as well. Calling something like Rupayacoin dead, for example, doesn't seem right when instead it just seems to be very slow in maturing (market is slowly firming up on Bittrex I've noticed), rather than a flash in the pan.

We might want to organize it differently than market cap though, or with additional criteria. Thinking off the top of my head:
1. Is a coin delisted from all/most exchanges?
2. What is the coins volume on any exchanges that remain?
3. What is the status of the blockchain? Total hashrate for it?
4. Status RE: any scams or scandals involving the coin or dev?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:42:00 PM

Wink

I like the idea of organizing this better as well. Calling something like Rupayacoin dead, for example, doesn't seem right when instead it just seems to be very slow in maturing (market is slowly firming up on Bittrex I've noticed), rather than a flash in the pan.

We might want to organize it differently than market cap though, or with additional criteria. Thinking off the top of my head:
1. Is a coin delisted from all/most exchanges?
2. What is the coins volume on any exchanges that remain?
3. What is the status of the blockchain? Total hashrate for it?
4. Status RE: any scams or scandals involving the coin or dev?

I have the same issue on my site. When do you say a coin is dead? The more criteria, the more work it takes to verify each coin.

1. Is a coin delisted from all/most exchanges? - It takes forever for coins to be delisted
2. What is the coins volume on any exchanges that remain? - All exchanges or just major ones?
3. What is the status of the blockchain? Total hashrate for it? - Dead blockcain is obvious but what hashrate is cutoff?
4. Status RE: any scams or scandals involving the coin or dev? - Do launch issues count?
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:20:44 PM

I have the same issue on my site. When do you say a coin is dead? The more criteria, the more work it takes to verify each coin.

1. Is a coin delisted from all/most exchanges? - It takes forever for coins to be delisted
2. What is the coins volume on any exchanges that remain? - All exchanges or just major ones?
3. What is the status of the blockchain? Total hashrate for it? - Dead blockcain is obvious but what hashrate is cutoff?
4. Status RE: any scams or scandals involving the coin or dev? - Do launch issues count?

1. I think some exchanges are more quick than others to delist dead/broken altcoins. I'd rather err on the side of being slow to declare a coin dead (not fair to those holding it to prematurely write off their investment, in my opinion, if they can do something to salvage the coin.) Attempts to rescuscitate coins (Lovecoin, Asiacoin, etc.) complicate the question of what constitutes a dead altcoin.
2. I know it's more work to track, but volume should be irrespective of the exchange it is happening on. A coin that is dead on Mintpal but active on Allcrypt, odd as that might be, shouldn't be called dead overall.
3. Good question on hashrate. Anything more than 0 suggests the coin is technically still breathing (so to speak). But if only a few rigs are mining it and doing so less than 24/7, it creates the possibility of drops to 0 hashrate that would lead to delays in transactions. Can someone estimate (by math or experience) a reasonable minimum that is required for a blockchain to keep running with no transaction delays assuming difficulty adjustments and so on are not an issue? This might be a tricky one to strictly define.
4. Good point about launch issues; this is also a criteria that is going to be hard to define so it is more of a guideline than a strict criterion. Maybe let mention of launch issues drop after 90 days or so assuming the coin survives past them.

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:41:30 PM

Added a bunch of scamcoins (found a list in an old post) today.  Since these vanish after the scammers get the money, they fade from knowledge.  The exchanges drop them like a hot rock, the threads about them get shoved down to page 34, etc.  Not much evidence is left of them relative to how common they actually are.

Also added a long writeup on aircoin - wow.  There were so many things wrong with that, from the outset, that I just don't know where to start.  'Aircoin' can talk a good game, but no matter how well-spoken somebody is, math either works or doesn't work.  And people were treating it as though it was serious.  In fact, people still are!

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:46:21 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 08:28:24 PM by ebliever

Thanks for all your effort. This will be a fascinating subject as time goes by. Probably deserves more than an ephemeral bitcointalk thread. A Necromicon Museum website? ;-)

UPDATE: I do have one request: Can you make a note on coins you have listed, where they are separate from new, living coins? I'm concerned that you will be accused of spreading FUD about coins like Blackcoin and Fluttercoin which are doing well, but earlier incarnations (I assume) of those names appear on your list.

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 09:59:11 PM

Blackcoin and Fluttercoin, when first released, came out with wallets that contained malware. 

Later, non-malware versions of these wallets became popular. 

It is very hard to tell whether the malware was intentional or not.

Anyway, I went and had a look, and these do not in fact belong on the current list; their market cap is still way over the cutoff lines I'm using.  So I'll go delete them.
Blazr2

Activity: 218
Merit: 105

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 09:59:25 PM

Melange is not dead, nor is Offerings to Cthulhu. Quite to the contrary, we upgraded both wallets for heartbleed a couple weeks back and Offerings (not Cthulhucoin) has now been graced with transaction messaging--the first QRK clone to do so AND it didn't require a hard fork.

While we're on the topic, Doubloons was most certainly not a coingen.io coin, it predates the existence of that site by more than 10 months; though you're right, it is pretty much dead, so it can stay in the list.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 10:03:51 PM

Apologies; I thought they were gone.  Coinmarketcap is not tracking Melange, nor Cthulhucoin.

Where are they trading and what is their current market cap?

Blazr2

Activity: 218
Merit: 105

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 10:07:45 PM

Apologies; I thought they were gone.  Coinmarketcap is not tracking Melange, nor Cthulhucoin.

No worries, our coins are not designed to be profitable, but OFF trades on Allcrypt and Sci-Fi-Ex, and Melange only on Sci-Fi-Ex. Neither has much of a following, but development and mining persist.

Interestingly for your notes, Melange is a clone of Skeincoin Smiley Also, one other I noticed, PowerCoin (PWC) also predates coingen.io by at least 9 months time, was created by NWO. SKC is novel in its use of skein only as a PoW, but RedKendra being absent is odd, he's got many coins to look after.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 10:20:31 PM

rip </3

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2014, 11:23:28 PM

No worries, our coins are not designed to be profitable, but OFF trades on Allcrypt and Sci-Fi-Ex, and Melange only on Sci-Fi-Ex. Neither has much of a following, but development and mining persist.

Interestingly for your notes, Melange is a clone of Skeincoin Smiley Also, one other I noticed, PowerCoin (PWC) also predates coingen.io by at least 9 months time, was created by NWO. SKC is novel in its use of skein only as a PoW, but RedKendra being absent is odd, he's got many coins to look after.

Just today i was talking with the guys on IRC about the absentness of RedKendra being unusual. It has been almost a month and a lot of things have happened since then. Fortunately the wallet had the Heartbleed fix update, so probably RedKendra is lurking under another account, but no activity tends to spread FUD massively.... and count that this month one of the two main pools of SKC was shot down. Soon we will open a SKC Foundation pool to ammend this.

tattooist

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 10:12:04 AM

Great list..must have been a hell of a job to create it!

I'm not sure if RainbowGoldCoin (RAIN) should be on the list though..looks like thats just a real slow starter

These two should definitely be on your list ...

StandardCoin (STD) (who would have thought with such a name?)
MultiCoin (MUL)

IPO scams were the dev ran with the invested BTC

again..great list ,thanks for the effort!
derBruchpilotPro

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 10:46:06 AM

Lol, the "NecronomniCOIN".

Good to see there is some Selection in the Crypto Evolution.

EDIT: you failed to add FailCoin, or failed FailCoin to fail? Wink

NEM/XEM!!!
snapter

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

1. I think some exchanges are more quick than others to delist dead/broken altcoins. I'd rather err on the side of being slow to declare a coin dead (not fair to those holding it to prematurely write off their investment, in my opinion, if they can do something to salvage the coin.) Attempts to rescuscitate coins (Lovecoin, Asiacoin, etc.) complicate the question of what constitutes a dead altcoin.

Poloniex announced they were delisting yin coin and yang coin and both coins networks were dead. A couple of days later poloniex announced they were not delisting them after all, the dev came up with new plans and the networks started moving gain. You can never be too sure a coin is really dead.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: