Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:22:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Necronomicon thread: Altcoins which are dead.  (Read 43841 times)
ed89217

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:34:18 PM

okay, here's a list of coins generated via coingen, as maintained automatically by the coingen site.  I haven't listed all of these because with a lot of them there's no evidence that they even launched. 

http://coingen.bluematt.me/status.html

Gamecoin, Cloudcoin, Doubloon, Onecoin, and Americancoin have definitely  been generated by coingen.

If there've been multiple coins by those names, then certainly the fact that at least one of them was a coingen coin is an important part of the history, and may be one of the reasons why it's dead.  And honestly it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead.

I'm not convinced this list is a very reliable indicator that a coin is dead. Bitcoin is currently on the coingen list between cybercoin and jean!

cybercoin
Waiting for 6 confirmations of 0.11 BTC sent to 1NRXAaUPRU4H8CLLxemtGvJzmiMNmn9H27
Not Started

bitcoin
Waiting for 6 confirmations of 0.16 BTC sent to 1PkmJs49MmEUrBiBBy1VsYehZsE94c5j3C
Not Started

jean
Waiting for 6 confirmations of 0.01 BTC sent to 1CSdhjKLDNYoCidRG15CuW3oadRoRSGKs8

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:35:27 PM

Today added Limecoin (currently market cap 4406), Gaelcoin (currently market cap 4038), Polcoin(currently market cap 3802), and icoin(currently market cap 2554).

Icoin in particular has had a spectacular drop;  I have noted a former market cap of $14700 for it and I think that was only a week and a half ago.  Limecoin, at the same time, had a market cap of about $19400, so it has dropped "only" about 75%. 

It seems that when the bottoms drop out of these, they drop very fast.  Which I wouldn't really have noticed except that I happened to keep former market cap information a few days ago. 
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:03:53 PM

Added Rotocoin, Cryptographic Anomaly, and Electronic Gulden.

galaxy

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:18:23 AM

Silicon Valley Coin - Claimed sending out a mailer that said "free money" to people in Silicon Valley would spark mass adoption. The pitch was that someone influential would get their junkmail invitation to receive 600 worthless coins, then head right to their computer and start downloading the wallet from some website that would be completely foreign to them. Then said person would say WOW, Im going to talk to my friends and get this thing going. Not a joke. The early investors/miners, dev, and his sockpuppets were dead serious. The thread is a classic example of a pump and dump attempt.
galaxy

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:31:49 AM

This is a really great idea. I hope more people post details they know! It would be amazing if we were able to get back to the beginning, catch up, then stay on top of it.

Truly a great idea.

You started just in time to pull it off
galaxy

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:39:03 AM

Electric (Volt) - Started by "Deviant Two". The owner of mining pools, a self proclaimed Christian who was also involved in the Cryptorush exchange.
boymilk

Activity: 74

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:34:16 PM

What about Tenebrix and Fairbrix? Tenebrix was the first scrypt coin and Fairbrix was a clone of Tenebrix without the premine. Litecoin was heavily based on Fairbrix I believe.

Are they considered dead or not?
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:23:39 PM

What about Tenebrix and Fairbrix? Tenebrix was the first scrypt coin and Fairbrix was a clone of Tenebrix without the premine. Litecoin was heavily based on Fairbrix I believe.

Are they considered dead or not?

Yes, in fact they are dead.  Or at least, no longer traded. Thanks for the headsup; they just hadn't popped up in any of the spots I found on my initial search.  So I added them today.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:25:52 PM

Silicon Valley Coin - Claimed sending out a mailer that said "free money" to people in Silicon Valley would spark mass adoption.

Thanks for the info, on Silly Valley coin and Electriccoin.  Like I said, if I have to hunt all this stuff on my own I'll probably never catch up! 

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:34:02 PM

I just saw that Aphroditecoin was traded today. 

And that at the price it was traded, the market capitalization for it is standing at US$ SIXTEEN dollars.

That's kind of stunning.  People are still running a block chain that represents a currency ALL OF WHICH could now be bought  cheaper than a pizza.

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:06:29 PM

Today added VirtualMiningCoin(VMC) to the list. 

Also updated Cannacoin - someone wrote to tell me it isn't dead, and to be fair its market cap is over $5K at the moment.  We'll see if it makes it for 90 days.

I notice Bellacoin and Skeincoin are back over $5K too.  I hope those make it out of the grave, but I'm not going to play favorites. 

And I notice Aphroditecoin's whole market cap has declined from less than the price of a pizza to less than the price of a decent hamburger.  But it's still there.  What's up with that?

LivingDeath

Activity: 443
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:22:11 PM

JesusCoin will be back after three days.
tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 09:09:50 PM

This is a great list and it'd be nice to see it hosted somewhere.

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 09:58:32 PM

LoveCoin(LOVE)
Uh, love is good, right?  I mean ...  Well, okay, but what did a cryptocurrency supposedly have to do with love? Created via Coingen.

Link to revival thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=615965.0

where you will also find explanation what we're aiming to do with it.

And it's not a coingen coin, where'd you get that idea from?

“God does not play dice"
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:48:14 PM

On the coingen.io site there's a list of coins that people have paid him to generate.  One such coin was named 'lovecoin'.  I don't know whether it's the one you're working with, or whether a coingen framework was where the previous dev started, or what.  But there's definitely been a 'lovecoin' generated via coingen.

I went and investigated about Lovecoin in order to update it properly and make sure that there's a proper distinction between the first round and the relaunch in this list. 

It's a real shame about the scammy first version, 'lovecoinproject' vanishing with the premine, etc.  Best of luck trying to resurrect this. 

If you don't mind me asking, what's your motivation here?  Why would you come in behind a fairly clearcut case of a scam, and try to relaunch or 'redeem' this thing? 
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:14:19 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what's your motivation here?  Why would you come in behind a fairly clearcut case of a scam, and try to relaunch or 'redeem' this thing? 

No I don't mind at all, it's a fair question.

But first of all I'm not totally convinced that the original coin operator was committing a premeditated scam, although of course
he was after financial gain like everybody else. That is still something we will find out.

My decision to keep the coin afloat was influenced by two factors, 1) The immediate cause was that I wanted to react against unprofessionalism in the coin creation business  2) more than that I like the idea and the theme of the coin - whatever its original purpose - and I see a possibility of re-crafting it as an instrument with which the community can prove that crypto isn't just about numbers and greed, it can embody social innovation and advance the evolution of decentralized communities.

So my intentions are a bit idealist, and time will tell how irrational they are...

I remembered after posting that there was another coin of the same name, and that is possibly the Lovecoin created by coingen.

“God does not play dice"
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:12:53 PM

Today I went and learned the sad sad story of Etoken.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=436750.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=403597.0

A 'rare' coin with a one-coin per block reward -- except that there were two 'special' blocks that paid a million each.  It was managed with periodic bonus multipliers, whose harmonic periods created a pattern of constructive reinforcement.   Which was, of course, destructive to the value of the coin.

Did they not look at the source code and realize what it meant?  Could they not do math?  Or did they make the more profound mistake of implicitly trusting a completely unknown, untraceable human being? 
dobbscoin

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

The End Times are Upon Us

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 07:20:34 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 04:09:48 AM by dobbscoin

For purposes of this discussion, I'm going to count any coin as DEAD, even if its blockchain is still running, when it is currently either delisted from all exchanges, or when it ought to have been because its total market capitalization has wandered south of US$5000.  

Nothing will be taken off this list until or unless it claws its way out of the grave by having its market capitalization climb over US$5000 and stay there for 90 days.    

Dobbscoin (BOB)
current status: dead as a ...  well, dead.  Created via Coingen.

Can't argue with your definition, as stated - tho market capitalization of DobbsCoin (BOB) value as compared to USD is about as valid as counting the coin dead because of it's initial coingen roots. Coingen has many issues, all of which have been completely overcome over this projects learning curve. Coingen is for the most part a solid platform with commit historys all the way back to Bitcoins Initial Commit in August 2009 and once repaired has proven itself a worthy service. Shit.. coingen got me into crypto to begin with, so it was certainly worth the .2 BTC just for the experience, not to mention the fun I've had the last five months. I can imagine the same can be said for a bazillion shitcoin 'developers'.

As to an DobbsCoins (or any private currencies)'s relevance to the USD as a qualification for your death sentence:  Not everyone's intention is profit. Besides, by this time next year you may not even be able to buy a sandwtch with $5,000 USD. And by X-Day - After the Xists planetary carpet bombing, when THOSE WORTHY of "BOBS" LOVE are all wisked off the the Corporate SiN Galaxy aboard the 'Pleasure Saucers' ..your precious bitcoins wont be worth SQUAT, 'cos anyone who's been paying attention knows that Dobbscoin (BOB) is THE ONLY cryptocurency accepted there.. & THE PINKS WILL BE BUMMIN' -oh yes!! It is TRUE.

The ONLY Crypto-Currency accepted on the Pleasure Saucers.
"BOB" brings a NEW DESTINY for the abnormal. (BOB) comes to JUSTIFY our sins;
to UNMASK the Conspiracy, and to get us back the SLACK they stole away!

When two or three are gathered in my name, and I am not there; do you not feel my hands in your pockets? - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR NOTHING?
Then you've come to the right place.
http://www.dobbscoin.info
DON'T  GET  FORKED *
SUPPORT THIS PROJECT AND FOLLOW
IT ON TWITTER @DobbsCOIN
 FACEBOOK: The Dobbscoin Conspiracy

DOWNLOAD WALLETS

HOME PAGE: http://www.dobbscoin.info
 Explorerhttp://explorer.dobbscoin.info
 Pool: http://pool.dobbscoin.net 
 Faucet: http://faucet.dobbscoin.info
 Spin Game: http://dobbsspin.dobbscoin.info

ALL Spin Game Losses GO DIRECTLY TO FAUCET.
 May the LUCK PLANE BE WITH YOU.

21 Mil Total Coins / ZERO PREMINE 
ETERNAL SALVATION OR TRIPLE YOUR MONEY BACK

WE KNOW: Dobbscoin is NOT one of those "Pre-mined as much in the Genesis Block as are created the first six months", 'mega coins'
like people seem to want.. and it's not some misspelled Japanese animal meme that everyone told you *YOU NEED*
..and it's not one of the coins that got created by TheCabal of exchange developers
and exchange developers friends that your allowed to want so much..

It's an honest to goodness, unattractive to pumping and dumping, long term,
good faith crypto currency, people always pretend that they allegedly want.

Avoid False Prophets, Cultivate appropriate Slack.

GET RIGHT WITH "BOB" - http://www.subgenius.com
http://www.dobbscoin.info

(BOB) Dobbscoin is the Officially Approved crypto-currency of the Church of the SubGenius, a TWENTY+ Year old UFO 'parody religion/SEX Cult' that targets many better known belief systems. The Church of the SubGenius teaches a complex belief system that focuses on the clip-art Deity, J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, and shines the light upon A Global Conspiracy bent on stealing your Slack. Of course, what 'religion'/Cult would be complete without UFO's, ..tons of SEX and a grand Armageddon scenario.  More: Wikipedia

"BOB" Dobbs in the Media
  • The Church of the SubGenius has been featured in: Playboy, WIRED, Rolling Stone, and preformed hundreds of successful Live Night Club Shows. "BOB" even has Nationally Distributed Video ARISE (Polygram). Not to mention "BOB" is endorsed by most major Counterculture Heroes and Subculture artists.
  • The Band 'SUBLIME' (1), shipped a 23 track '40 OZ OUNCES TO FREEDOM' CD through Skunk Records - with a Dobbshead on it.
  • The Band 'DEVO' (2) is SubGenius as fuck! (see below)
  • Negativland: You may have never heard of Negativland, but you've probably heard clips of their stuff as bumper music on late night programs such as Ground Zero w/Clyde Lewis.
Famous SubGenii include:
  • Robert Anton Wilson(3): "Pope BOB" was an ordained minister in the Church of the SubGenius, wrote for and was featured in the Three Fisted Tales of "BOB" book, and also featured "BOB" in The Illumanatus Trilogy; one of the many books he authored himself.
  • Patrick Volkerding(4) of Slackware Linux: 'Slackware' -duh
  • Timothy Leary,
  • Ken Kesey,
  • PeeWee Herman (click for image),
  • Wierd Al,
  • R. Crumb (Subculture Comics: Fritz the Cat/WEIRDO), drew & wrote for "BOB".
  • Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller IS a PAID Minister/Member of The Church of the SubGenius.
  • Jello Biafra to name just a few
More about Famous SubGenius

The Church of the SubGenius even has three weekly Syndicated Radio Shows, in 15 Markets.
WCSB Cleveland, WREK Atlanta & KPFA Berkeley, Ca, as well as countless of minor broadcast networks.

The Atari - ST (5)
At the time the Atari ST started shipping, a limited set of GEM fonts were included within the ROMs. These fonts featured the standard 8x8 pixel graphical character set for the ST (the main in-ROM "font" for GEM, and text-mode TOS operations in color modes) and contains a recognizable facsimile of the face of J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, (the figurehead of the Church of the Subgenius).

The FACT is.. (BOB) DobbsCoin is about Slack,
It's about FIGHTING The Conspiracy, and it's about getting BACK what THEY Stole away.
And if we just so happen to 'Survive The Great Cataclysms Through UFO Transport, while taking control through liberated weirdness by tapping our secret 'Abnormality Potential. ..then FUCK YES, I'll have TWO.

(1): 40 OZ OUNCES TO FREEDOM' CD initially/ltd. released with a Dobbshead on it. (no shit)(link1) (link2) (link3).
(2): Devo actively embraced the Church of the SubGenius in concert (source: Wikipedia). Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO produced the audio for The Bobacatto, and you can watch him HERE speaking on The Conspiracy, the life-changing power of "BOB" and Slack. (source: ARISE The SubGenius Movie : Polygram Video).
(3): Wilson also joined the Church of the SubGenius, who referred to him as Pope Bob. He contributed to their literature, including the book Three-Fisted Tales of "Bob", and shared a stage with their founder, Rev. Ivan Stang on several occasions Winterstar-01 & Austin, TX. Wilson also founded the Guns and Dope Party, and its corresponding Burning Man theme camp. See also: Historia Discordia
(4): Patrick Volkerding, the software engineer known as the founder and maintainer of Slackware Linux distro, is a SubGenius. The use of the word Slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD." -Patrick Volkerding.
(5)Atari ST: Atari ST BASIC had a dobbshead easter egg (image)

ps: Send $1 to
       PO Box 181417
       Cleveland Hts, OH 44118
       Ask for Pamphlet #1!
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 01:06:03 PM

okay, here's a list of coins generated via coingen, as maintained automatically by the coingen site.  I haven't listed all of these because with a lot of them there's no evidence that they even launched. 

http://coingen.bluematt.me/status.html

Gamecoin, Cloudcoin, Doubloon, Onecoin, and Americancoin have definitely  been generated by coingen.

If there've been multiple coins by those names, then certainly the fact that at least one of them was a coingen coin is an important part of the history, and may be one of the reasons why it's dead.  And honestly it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead.

Androidtokens, though was definitely my mistake; the coingen coin was 'androin' and I misread it.  Thanks for the info.

Regarding Bottlecaps and EZcoin, please provide a source for your information and I'll be happy to correct the list.  I observed that they've been delisted from coinmarketcap at http://coinmarketcap.com/all.html - where else should I be looking? 

Sorry sir but they were not produced by coingen. They were done by hand using shakezula's cloning guide. We can battle it out all you want but the fact stands

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 02:30:28 PM

... it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead ...

I disagree. It is important to differentiate whether the coingen coin died or the hand-crafted coin died.

Regarding Bottlecaps ... please provide a source for your information ...

See the original 11-month-old commit:

https://github.com/bottlecaps-foundation/bottlecaps/blob/master/src/rpcdump.cpp#L50

Code:
    if (fWalletUnlockMintOnly) // ppcoin: no importprivkey in mint-only mode
        throw JSONRPCError(RPC_WALLET_UNLOCK_NEEDED, "Wallet is unlocked for minting only.");

Overwhelming balance of probability: not a coingen coin.

Cheers,

Graham
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: