Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:37:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Necronomicon thread: Altcoins which are dead.  (Read 43841 times)
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:38:56 AM

That's an impressively long list...

It could become a valuable resource to developers wanting to resurrect a coin.

“God does not play dice"
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
derBruchpilotPro

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 12:40:25 PM

1. I think some exchanges are more quick than others to delist dead/broken altcoins. I'd rather err on the side of being slow to declare a coin dead (not fair to those holding it to prematurely write off their investment, in my opinion, if they can do something to salvage the coin.) Attempts to rescuscitate coins (Lovecoin, Asiacoin, etc.) complicate the question of what constitutes a dead altcoin.

Poloniex announced they were delisting yin coin and yang coin and both coins networks were dead. A couple of days later poloniex announced they were not delisting them after all, the dev came up with new plans and the networks started moving gain. You can never be too sure a coin is really dead.

Yep. Piratecoin made a last dead cat bounce as allcrypt has become online, but now its also dead.

NEM/XEM!!!
gielbier

Activity: 914

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 01:44:58 PM

Launched Nov 1 2013, by 'Red Kendra' (a newbie account with no ID/email information) Skeincoin was a coin with 32-coin block reward and a 2-minute block time.  The Proof-of-work was a two-round hash, with the first round using the Skein hashing algorithm and the second round using SHA-2.  Because there are no ASICs that do Skein, that made Skein the limiting factor in proof-of-work.  Accordingly, many coins were donated to Botnet operators. Launch was apparently smooth.    
This is just a shameless lie. If you say stuff like that give a source.

Also not a dead coin. (multiple devs working on it and innovation is happening, but apparently you rate coins by marketcap only,if that is the case. I'll buy some more of them.)

PS. Guess where the Myriad SkeinMiner comes from. (Both Minerd, POCLBM-skc, and CGminer-Skein)

SkeinCoin should not be on this list for many reasons.

█████▄
██▀   ▀██
██     ██
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▄
▄██▀  ▀██▄▄████▄▄██▀  ▀██
██       ███   ███       ██
██▄  ▄██▀▀████▀▀██▄  ▄██▀
▀████▀   ▄███▄   ▀████▀
▄██▀ ▀██▄
██     ██
██▄   ▄██
▀█████
          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄    ▄▄
Prasaga
                                                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████████▄
██████████████████▄
████████████████████▄
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
WHITEPAPER     
►  TECH WP
►  COMMERCIAL WP
iGotAIDS

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 01:49:15 PM

SKC and MYR have the same 'dev.'
gielbier

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 01:51:03 PM

No they don't
RedKendra !== 8bitcoder.
Reorder did the CGskein and POCLBM-skein miner.

(Just looking at the list. CloudCoin, wasn't CoinGen the first time, only the second time.)

█████▄
██▀   ▀██
██     ██
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▄
▀████▀   ▄███▄   ▀████▀
▄██▀ ▀██▄
██     ██
██▄   ▄██
▀█████
Prasaga
████████████████▄
██████████████████▄
████████████████████▄
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
WHITEPAPER     
►  TECH WP
►  COMMERCIAL WP
iGotAIDS

Activity: 104

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 01:55:30 PM

Sorry but you are wrong there, they are one in the same. In fact RK has a lot more alt names you may mot be privvy to as well as quite a few other coins. Not that there is anything wrong with that..,
gielbier

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 02:15:35 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2014, 06:24:49 PM by gielbier

Sorry but you are wrong there, they are one in the same. In fact RK has a lot more alt names you may mot be privvy to as well as quite a few other coins. Not that there is anything wrong with that..,
Any proof that he is also behind Myr? (RedKendra came from the Zeta team)

(Who are you behind this sockpuppet? )

█████▄
██▀   ▀██
██     ██
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▄
▀████▀   ▄███▄   ▀████▀
▄██▀ ▀██▄
██     ██
██▄   ▄██
▀█████
Prasaga
████████████████▄
██████████████████▄
████████████████████▄
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
WHITEPAPER     
►  TECH WP
►  COMMERCIAL WP
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 06:23:44 PM

Also not a dead coin. (multiple devs working on it and innovation is happening, but apparently you rate coins by marketcap only,if that is the case. I'll buy some more of them.)

PS. Guess where the Myriad SkeinMiner comes from. (Both Minerd, POCLBM-skc, and CGminer-Skein)

SkeinCoin should not be on this list for many reasons.

The reason I'm focusing on Market cap is to try to avoid arguments.  If you make some sort of squishy judgement call that takes a dozen different things into account and values each one subjectively, then there's no end of arguments about whether something does or does not belong here and ultimately it just comes down to whether I personally like the innovations, the rhetoric, and PR literature that a coin's devs/promoters are spinning. 

Instead I wanted a simple, clear line that people can see for themselves rather than arguing about.  It's not about what anybody likes, it's about what is true and what is false and hopefully what everybody can see to be true or false.  Dead coins have zero market cap.  So, I picked some number arbitrarily close to zero but still big enough that coins which have reached it are still visible, and use that number as my cutoff point.

Skein had development in its favor, a good community, and made some contributions.  Part of what I hope to find out here is whether that's enough to help it escape death.  I hope that it is.  If not then it's an object lesson for everybody who'd like to launch an altcoin that these things are not a guarantee of success.

wmcorless

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

paccoin

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 06:44:02 PM

Paccoin is alive and well. Its like Mark Twain said, “Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated”

Got Paccoin?
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:47:21 PM

If it's alive, who is tracking its market cap?
memecoin

Activity: 308

★YoBit.Net★ 1400+ Coins Exchange

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:36:35 AM

• AmericanCoin is not a coingen coin. The network no longer communicates with the Litecoin network, and even when it did, it didn't cause the AMC network to fork.
  • AndroidTokens is not a coingen coin.
  • Bottlecaps isn't dead. It has a market cap of approximately 20K USD.
  • The original CloudCoin was not a coingen coin.
  • Doubloons is not a coingen coin.
  • EZCoin isn't dead. It has a market cap of greater than 20K USD.
  • Gamecoin is not a coingen coin.
  • The original Onecoin (ONC) was not a coingen coin.
  • The original PowerCoin was not a coingen coin. It was killed in a 51% attack.

These are just a few of the corrections I found while skimming your list.

Am I spamming? Report me!
Victorius

Activity: 73

...math, you can trust math.

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 09:27:44 AM

Why silicon valley coin died? wasnt concept of giving it to tech people good? was it scam or what?

LISK    Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:09:57 PM

okay, here's a list of coins generated via coingen, as maintained automatically by the coingen site.  I haven't listed all of these because with a lot of them there's no evidence that they even launched. 

http://coingen.bluematt.me/status.html

Gamecoin, Cloudcoin, Doubloon, Onecoin, and Americancoin have definitely  been generated by coingen.

If there've been multiple coins by those names, then certainly the fact that at least one of them was a coingen coin is an important part of the history, and may be one of the reasons why it's dead.  And honestly it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead.

Androidtokens, though was definitely my mistake; the coingen coin was 'androin' and I misread it.  Thanks for the info.

Regarding Bottlecaps and EZcoin, please provide a source for your information and I'll be happy to correct the list.  I observed that they've been delisted from coinmarketcap at http://coinmarketcap.com/all.html - where else should I be looking? 

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 05:54:48 PM

http://crypto-prices.com/

When I can't find a price on coinmarketcap, these guys usually have the coin listed.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:33:30 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2014, 06:57:59 PM by Cryddit

First, thanks for the additional information resources.

According to http://crypto-prices.com/CAP, Bottlecaps has traded today at under USD$0.006.  According to http://www.cryptocoinexplorer.com/, Its current block height is 443657.  At 10 coins per block, that's a market capitalization of $26619.  It's Alive!

According to http://crypto-prices.com/EZC, EZcoin has traded today at under USD$0.00113.  According to http://altexplorer.info/chains/EZC/block_crawler.php, its block height is currently 389905.  According to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220103.0, through that range it's creating 50 coins per block. That works out to a market cap of USD$21445, so it does NOT belong on the list.  So I'll go fix that.

That was kind of a pain in the butt to look up.  Hmm, if they're doing that well, I wonder why coinmarketcap dropped them?

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:44:01 PM

Today, added Bitleu, H2Ocoin, and RainbowCoin. 
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:48:19 PM

I'm not ignoring the advice that Paccoin isn't dead; but I'm having big trouble trying to confirm it. 

I found a blockchain explorer that gives its current block height and verifies that the blockchain is still running (currently at a block height of 274920).  But that's not enough to know that it's still meaningfully alive. 

I have not found any exchange which lists a current price for Paccoin,   Without that basic information I can't even try to calculate a market cap that would take it off this list.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:34:21 AM

I think some coins are just very thinly traded, which is why Coinmarketcap may delist them. Not dead, but in kind of suspended animation. ;-)

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
memecoin

Activity: 308

★YoBit.Net★ 1400+ Coins Exchange

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:06:54 AM

That was kind of a pain in the butt to look up.  Hmm, if they're doing that well, I wonder why coinmarketcap dropped them?

CMC is not the is-all, end-all authority. I understand that you are basing a coins health by market cap, but market cap means nothing to the health of a coin's network.

• Coingen.io Registration - 2013 December 29
  • Gamecoin - 2013 May 12
  • Cloudcoin - 2013 July 24
  • Americancoin - 2013 May 28
  • Onecoin - 2013 June 13
  • EZCoin - 2013 May 29

These coins could not possibly have been created by Coingen.io. If you are keen to the history of it all, maybe you should mention that they are not the ones that were/are listed on exchanges.

Am I spamming? Report me!
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:01:32 PM

iirc, he did offer his services for a considerable while before actually putting up a website about it.  I'll see if I can find anything that confirms the status of these coins - or for now, I'll at least update them to show that they launched before coingen.io was registered. 

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: