Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:03:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay - the first tech giant to accept Bitcoin?  (Read 6718 times)
_smudger_ (OP)

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:23:01 AM

I believe Ebay is the best company to target next (in accepting Bitcoin).

They have lagged behind the other tech giants and are always looking for the best way to catch-up.

Bitcoin could be the answer.

Also they have talked about it in the past ( http://smartbusinessbrief.com/ebay-considering-accepting-bitcoin-as-payment/) and they have recently added a digital-currency section (https://coinreport.net/ebay-digital-currency-section/).

If Ebay get's on board I believe there is no stopping Bitcoin then.

trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:25:52 AM

Since ebay owns PayPal, this is unlikely to happen.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:26:40 AM

If ebay implement a digital currency it is very likely to be something they control.

In fact didnt they apply for a patent or something similar for their own "e-cash".
_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:36:12 AM

They just need a push in the right direction  Wink

Paypal president David Marcus - "I really like Bitcoin"

https://coinreport.net/david-marcus-paypal-bitcoin/

Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 11:49:28 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2014, 12:17:42 PM by Chronikka

Paypal is not considered a bank but in many ways it operates like one. You can keep money in your account, spend it and accept money into the account like a bank . Also they offer debit card services, just like a bank would.

The reality is Bitcoin and Paypal are direct competition. More so than fiat and Bitcoin. Paypal is an internet Payment processor, dealing in cash. Bitcoin is a currency and payment platform that seeks to circumvent the need for middlemen. Bitcoin is designed to cut companies like Paypal out of the picture.

So in order for Ebay to accept Bitcoin, they will be making a conscious decision to accept less money via Paypal. I don't know if that is a good business decision for them. They pretty much have a lock down on their customer base by requiring Paypal on most transactions. And of course they levy a nice fee on all of those transactions. Why would they change that? If they did accept Bitcoin I can almost guarantee that they will have some sort of "service fee" attached to all bitcoin transactions in order to recoup lost Paypal money.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:00:34 PM

Paypal is not considered a bank but in many ways it operates like one. You can keep money in your account, spend it and accept money into the account like a bank . Also they offer debit card services, just like a bank would.

The reality is Bitcoin and Paypal are direct competition. More so than fiat and Bitcoin. Paypal is an internet Payment processor, dealing in cash. Bitcoin is a currency and payment platform that seeks to circumvent the need for middlemen. Bitcoin is designed to cut companies like Paypal out of the picture.

So in order for Ebay to accept Bitocin, they will be making a conscious decision to accept less money via Paypal. I don't know if that is a good business decision for them. They pretty much have a lock down on their customer base by requiring Paypal on most transactions. And of course they levy a nice fee on all of those transactions. Why would they change that? If they did accept Bitcoin I can almost guarantee that they will have some sort of "service fee" attached to all bitcoin transactions in order to recoup lost Paypal money.

Well said.
At this moment, eBay should have no incentive in accepting bitcoin now.

_smudger_ (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:03:59 PM

Whilst it's true we would expect Ebay/Paypal to be naturally competing with Bitcoin, we can't dismiss the possibility that they could have come up with a business model that embraces the digital currency.

They might realize that the technology is inevitable and be willing to implement something early on using the Ebay/Paypal brand.

Either that or be replaced eventually!

http://altcoinpress.com/2014/02/breaking-ebay-ceo-suggests-paypal-bitcoin-integration-coming/  

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 12:10:39 PM

It doesn't really matter whether David Marcus likes Bitcoin or not. He might be a genuine guy. But as long as Pierre Omidyar is the owner of Ebay / Paypal, I am 100% sure that they will never ever accept Bitcoin.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 01:28:25 PM

So in order for Ebay to accept Bitcoin, they will be making a conscious decision to accept less money via Paypal. I don't know if that is a good business decision for them. They pretty much have a lock down on their customer base by requiring Paypal on most transactions. And of course they levy a nice fee on all of those transactions. Why would they change that? If they did accept Bitcoin I can almost guarantee that they will have some sort of "service fee" attached to all bitcoin transactions in order to recoup lost Paypal money.

I think it'd be smart if paypal turned into a bitpay/coinbase type of company when it comes to bitcoin. Allowing merchants to accept btc and change it to fiat instantly.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2014, 01:32:28 PM

Actually they will/have separated those 2 companies I believe.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:24:06 PM

i dont think that bitcoin will ever be accepted by paypal i think paypal will never have anything to do with crytpo because it will hurt their business. althougt bitcoin would be great for paypal and avoid a lot of scammers and such

Chronikka

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:26:42 PM

Actually they will/have separated those 2 companies I believe.

Paypal is considered a division of Ebay. A wholly owned subsidiary, operated by Ebay inc.

There was a proposal from a 1% shareholder (Carl Icahn) like a month ago that would effectively separate the companies by creating a Paypal like spinoff. But Ebay's management disagreed and is urging other shareholders to vote against the proposal.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
kevindurant

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:12:33 PM

eBay is the last resort for Bitcoin, since Paypal is there.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:22:53 PM

That's why I am saying again and again that we should not pickup the begging bowl and stand in front of Pierre Omidyar. We should start a similar venture which accepts Bitcoins... Earlier there was Bitmit... but it vanished without a trace.
pokerFace2

Activity: 143

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:25:18 PM

Bitcoin = PayPal competition
Ebay will accept Bitcoin only when it will become necessary for Ebay to stay top auction site. In other word, not anytime soon.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4533

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:30:25 PM

paypal has damaged western union over the last decade.. why?
because paypal did NOT ask western union to accept paypal.

amazon is damaging paypal/ebay over the last few years.. why?
because amazon offers a better customer service and products that dont end up as cement wrapped in a box.

bitcoin is/will damage paypal, banks, amazon... why?
because we need to realise that we are the evolution of money and trade. we do not need the neanderthal to use us, we simply need to realise that we are better, and prove it by beating the neanderthals with skills, knowledge, better businesses and strategy.

here are some idea's
1) make a bitcoin version of ebay that is better then ebay - promote it. dont just sit there only talking about it within the community
2) in your area if you are having a hard time getting bitcoin locally. then become your local bitcoin service.
3) find other niche markets or services you feel would benefit from bitcoin. and start up a bitcoin version of that service/business
4) don't sit around waiting for other people to come into your area and do stuff for you. be inspired to do it yourself

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 04:34:03 PM

That's why I am saying again and again that we should not pickup the begging bowl and stand in front of Pierre Omidyar. We should start a similar venture which accepts Bitcoins... Earlier there was Bitmit... but it vanished without a trace.

+1.
It would create pressure for eBay to accept bitcoin, if we have more and bigger Bitmit-like sites.
freshdzine

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:36:12 PM

I hear talk about creating an EBAY for Bitcoin. Are people not aware of Bitcoin Shop? It accepts, Bitcoin, Dogecoin and Litecoin. It has been trading on the stockmarket under ticker symbol BTCS. Wildly in fact for the last few days. True Bitcoin supporters should support this stock and store as well. Lack of being informed in general about Bitcoin news and support seems to be in issue.  Embarrassed
Chronikka

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:48:30 PM

+1.
It would create pressure for eBay to accept bitcoin, if we have more and bigger Bitmit-like sites.

There are services like this out there. They are growing, but it takes time. Many of them don't just accept Bitcoin either but many other currencies. They are designed to be payment platforms, not limited to just one currency.

coinpayments.net is an example

redguard

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:54:21 PM

I always thought Paypal as the guy holding the money until you verify that you get what you ordered. If everything checks out, the vendor gets the money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: