Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 08:13:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay - the first tech giant to accept Bitcoin?  (Read 6722 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:31:38 PM

They should do it, even though Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal and the likes of it. This would mean a lot bothways. I wonder if this would be the next thing that would cause a spike in the price. We have been waiting for something for a long time now.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:43:27 PM

They should do it, even though Bitcoin is a competitor to Paypal and the likes of it. This would mean a lot bothways. I wonder if this would be the next thing that would cause a spike in the price. We have been waiting for something for a long time now.

5-6 months is not that long  Wink

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 06:51:58 PM

5-6 months is not that long  Wink
Well if you only see negative news in that period (mostly, major), it kind of is. Also if you look at the age of Bitcoin, 5-6 months represents a nice percentage.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:32:57 PM

i'm just hoping ebay chooses to join bitcoin instead of lumping "speech" (IE: money) with mastercard/visa to stifle bitcoin's development. they can still make money off of it, but probably as much if only paypal/fiat were used.
BitPhotos

Activity: 336

MTA, ACA

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:02:32 PM

the only reason i see this not working is because its p2p meaning if the seller doesnt ship the product, you can refund your paypal money, which you cannot do with bitcoin, UNLESS eBay acts as a third person holding the bitcoin until you receive your product, which could also lead to problems with people saying they never received it even if they did... overall i would love to see BTC accepted but just not sure of the functionality

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:09:12 PM

the only reason i see this not working is because its p2p meaning if the seller doesnt ship the product, you can refund your paypal money, which you cannot do with bitcoin, UNLESS eBay acts as a third person holding the bitcoin until you receive your product, which could also lead to problems with people saying they never received it even if they did... overall i would love to see BTC accepted but just not sure of the functionality
How are other retailers accepting Bitcoin? No this can't cause problems as the blockchain can verify if you have or have not received the coins. Also please note that with the amount of employees that Ebay has, they will probably figure out a model for themselves. They would find a solution that would work specifically on Ebay.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitPhotos

Activity: 336

MTA, ACA

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 11:35:40 PM

How are other retailers accepting Bitcoin? No this can't cause problems as the blockchain can verify if you have or have not received the coins. Also please note that with the amount of employees that Ebay has, they will probably figure out a model for themselves. They would find a solution that would work specifically on Ebay.
no im talking about sellers, if they dont send the product you payed for and you already payed... im not talking about the bitcoin protocol...

Davis14

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:01:04 AM

I really doubt bitcoin will be accepted by ebay considering paypal hates bitcoin and is the one that supports ebay.

*Link Removed*  [url=h
solimi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:34:11 AM

I think Paypal will not consider accepting bitcoins, because that EBAY is a financial trusteeship system, the use of a large number of idle funds, but also what Bitcoin spotted this, so they are a competitive relationship.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:11:37 AM

I'm actually pretty surprised that they are now acknowledging the fact that they are considering BTC. I thought for sure that they would introduce their own virtual currency before allowing the use of a decentralized one that they cannot control.
Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:34:49 AM

Only their consideration is a great step for us.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:43:24 AM

It does not matter that PayPal and Bitcoin are competing with each other.  You either improve your business or get replaced.  An example of this is Amazon launching the Kindle, which competes with their physical book sales. 
_smudger_ (OP)

Activity: 163

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 09:48:10 AM

It does not matter that PayPal and Bitcoin are competing with each other.  You either improve your business or get replaced.  An example of this is Amazon launching the Kindle, which competes with their physical book sales. 

It's true, these tech giants didn't get where they are today by ignoring new technology. Bitcoin is free at it's most basic level but it doesn't mean companies won't make a lot of money providing services on top of Bitcoin whether you like it or not. The internet is also free (-ish) but look at the money that has been made in this area.

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:53:27 PM

This is entirely wrong, and not how paypal would implement bitcoin. Paypal would simply treat bitcoin as a currency. Funding for your account could come from bitcoins, as could withdrawals be done in bitcoin. Paypal would charge a fee for the conversion, and for the payment. Bitcoin's irreversibility is no different than cash, which I can withdrawal from paypal already. Paypal can only control the funds you leave in your account, or give them access to. They can't take your USD back, unless you leave them somewhere you've already given them access to. Otherwise, your account simply goes negative. BTC IS NO DIFFERENT THAN USD FOR PAYPAL.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:24:03 PM

I had a dream about Bitcoins and Ebay a few months back.
I think its just a dream thought fellas  Shocked
lay785

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:45:40 PM

are there any sites like ebay with feedback and stuff that use only bitcoins?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 03:53:06 PM

with paypal/ebay ... the problem is :

- accept bitcoin for ebay transaction
- accept bitcoin for paypal intermediary system (FIAT equivalent)
- accept bitcoin in paypal account (no FIAT transfer)
- accept bitcoin in paypal and transfer to FIAT bank account (exchange system)

in my point, only the number 1 will be released in 2015.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 03:53:28 PM

Accepting Bitcoin would be extremely bad for Ebay's relationship with Paypal. I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.

The parasite called Paypal gives kickbacks to Ebay I'm sure.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 05:36:01 PM

Accepting Bitcoin would be extremely bad for Ebay's relationship with Paypal. I can't see this actually happening anytime soon.

The parasite called Paypal gives kickbacks to Ebay I'm sure.
You do realize that Ebay owns Paypal?  Cheesy
I'm pretty sure that they have considered this. But being behind with new technology might be bad as well for them.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:01:58 PM

are there any sites like ebay with feedback and stuff that use only bitcoins?

if there are, i bet ebay would spend lots of money to prevent it from growing.. either that, or ebay will buy it out. they tried to force craigslist to sell their website to them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: