Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:08:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Foundation members are resigning!  (Read 8317 times)
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:02:18 AM

bitcoin foundation is only a slogan, if they dont do good for bitcoin, they doesn't matter

I think at the time when the Bitcoin Foundation was put together there was such a need.  Now I'm unsure all I'm sure of is this is in no way a good thing for Bitcoin.  Surprising how this has already turned out in a short amount of time if you ask me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:02:01 AM

If some kind of "bitcoin foundation" existed it should be anonymous, decentralized and apolitical with the only goal to collect funds for bitcoin protocol development. But for this purpose no foundation is needed. Developers could just post a donation address.

This has been my opinion for a while. The developers could at least provide this as an alternative option to paying for Bitcoin Foundation stuff.

A single multi-sig address, with a key from each full time core developer, would be ideal. Then they could come up with the number of minimum number of signatures to spend for themselves, and decide who gets what money and why for themselves. I suspect spending on things like permanent offices and full-time secretaries would get little consensus until they were sitting on a huge war chest.

I like this idea.  We should explore it more.   Maybe a separate thread?  A github?  This is after all an open source community.

Why complicate the obvious? I think devs know how to post a donation address...

But there needs to be an org to talk to lawmakers and the people who work hard there (different than the celebs) are making a difference at a very high level. People like Patrick Murck, Brian Gross, Elizabeth Plowshay, Jim Harper, Jinyoung Englund, and others.

People here seem to love to play the victim and fight all power. Even when that power is acting on their behalf. I think we are at a critical moment in the fight for our economic future and our bitcoin rights. Banks and other players are making there moves in a sensible organized way. While we bitch at each other and spew ridiculous conspiracy theories. That sort of thing is not going to get you anywhere with regulators.

You don't get it. Bitcoins potential stems from the technology behind it. Believing you can do deals with lawmakers in favor of Bitcoin is hopelessly naive.

Instead the one and only focus should be improvement of Bitcoins technology - for example usability, decentralized access and privacy. Bitcoin is a true technological revolution in finance. Such revolutions do not have to ask for permission by whatever crooks currently in charge, they just happen.

An organization such as the TBF where all members must reveal their identities and which tries to serve as a central access point for the ever growing governmental need for "regulation" is a disservice and danger to bitcoin, because all members of this organization (even assuming all adhere to the highest standard of integrity - which obviously isn't the case) can easily be blackmailed to harm bitcoin. - Ever thought about why Satoshi preferred to stay anonymous?

We don't need lobbying for bitcoin. We need government-shielded bitcoin technology from independent developers.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:44:19 PM

But again, look how much confusion there is. Brock was apparently "accused" of something 15 years ago, but there is no evidence or a trial or anything. Do you know something? If you do please call the police. I myself did not vote for him however an accusation is not enough to ask for his seat, which he was elected too. If something had been discovered it would be him leaving the foundation, not me.

People also seem to think the foundation represents anarchists and revolutionaries. In fact it represents bitcoin. Math is not moral or political and there are communists, libertarians, Jihadists, etc. using bitcoin. It is a global phenomenon and includes many people who would disagree with any of us. 
It is self delusion to think doing nothing will make all the regulators go away. There will be more laws the only question is what they will be.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:01:18 PM

But again, look how much confusion there is. Brock was apparently "accused" of something 15 years ago, but there is no evidence or a trial or anything. Do you know something? If you do please call the police. I myself did not vote for him however an accusation is not enough to ask for his seat, which he was elected too. If something had been discovered it would be him leaving the foundation, not me.

For me Brock is mostly irrelevant (he's innocent until proven guilty), it's not about a single person it's about the very structure and central aim of TBF that contradicts essential characteristics of bitcoin: decentralized, trustless (in relation to people) and apolitical. It's the entire TBF that is ill-constructed, undemocratic and a gateway for political influence on the bitcoin protocol. Therefore the whole thing must be disbanded.

People also seem to think the foundation represents anarchists and revolutionaries.

Proof? Who thinks  that? TBF represents only itself - its board and its members. These members are certainly not anarchists nor revolutionaries but well adapted to societal norms.

In fact it represents bitcoin.

An outrageous and impertinent claim. They've enthroned themselves as bitcoin overlords with ZERO legitimacy.

Math is not moral or political and there are communists, libertarians, Jihadists, etc. using bitcoin. It is a global phenomenon and includes many people who would disagree with any of us. 

You state obvious facts which never have been disputed and are in fact a counterargument against your defense of TBF.

It is self delusion to think doing nothing will make all the regulators go away. There will be more laws the only question is what they will be.

It was never claimed that regulators would go away. They will try to enforce regulation with or without TBF. But with TBF it will be much easier for them to accomplish their destructive goals because of the central TBF-bootlicker-access-point. And when they have achieved a bit of regulation they want more...

The problem of regulation must be circumvented and made obsolete through the advancement of bitcoin technology (>> enhanced privacy and decentralization).

You can't negotiate with people that have all the power who either don't understand bitcoin, are ignorant, or are actively combating bitcoins promise for the majority. To trust in the word of such people is plain dumb.
coindozer7

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:21:53 PM

Bitcoin Foundation had its purpose to help prosper Bitcoin but it has been strike by many negative feedbacks and outlooks.

It was never an Official central organization in the first place.

Let's see how it goes and what they announce at the upcoming conference in Amsterdam this coming weekend.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:48:38 PM

But again, look how much confusion there is. Brock was apparently "accused"...
Therefore the whole thing must be disbanded.
Must implies it will happen. Yet it is highly unlikely.
People also seem to think the foundation represents anarchists and revolutionaries.
Proof? Who thinks  that? TBF represents only itself - its board and its members. These members are certainly not anarchists nor revolutionaries but well adapted to societal norms.
How bout a few post above "TBF should be aware they're voicing for kinda anarchists-liberals people"

In fact it represents bitcoin.

An outrageous and impertinent claim. They've enthroned themselves as bitcoin overlords with ZERO legitimacy.
Where does it say that in our charter?

Math is not moral or political and there are communists, libertarians, Jihadists, etc. using bitcoin. It is a global phenomenon and includes many people who would disagree with any of us. 

You state obvious facts which never have been disputed and are in fact a counterargument against your defense of TBF.
Don't understand what your saying?

It was never claimed that regulators would go away. They will try to enforce regulation with or without TBF. But with TBF it will be much easier for them to accomplish their destructive goals because of the central TBF-bootlicker-access-point. And when they have achieved a bit of regulation they want more...
So do you pay taxes? Why are you a boot licker or something?
The problem of regulation must be circumvented and made obsolete through the advancement of bitcoin technology (>> enhanced privacy and decentralization).
That's just laughable.

You can't negotiate with people that have all the power who either don't understand bitcoin, are ignorant, or are actively combating bitcoins promise for the majority. To trust in the word of such people is plain dumb.
You can, and I do. And they do not have the power.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 07:59:15 PM

For what it's worth, here's Brock's response to the claims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQuJR80mUY

You can't expect him to do anything else but deny everything.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
asimoshe

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:05:45 PM

They have been given opportunity to do something good for the bitcoin community and used it to their advantange. Typical human being  Huh

Sad but true  Undecided
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:48:03 PM

For what it's worth, here's Brock's response to the claims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQuJR80mUY

You can't expect him to do anything else but deny everything.
Of course, but it's worth observing nonetheless.

His body language makes me incredulous.
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 01:43:26 AM

Charlie Shrem also looks to be a scammer: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=817069.0

Him and Karpleles as initial Foundation board members. Cripes

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 09:00:37 PM

I don't know how many members are in the foundation.Those who are resigning don't know what's the reason but it's really a bad news. Sad

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:08:58 PM

People also seem to think the foundation represents anarchists and revolutionaries. In fact it represents bitcoin. Math is not moral or political and there are communists, libertarians, Jihadists, etc. using bitcoin. It is a global phenomenon and includes many people who would disagree with any of us. 

Not sure why, but your posts on the bitcoin foundation are full of delusions.

Believing the things you do does not make them true....
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:11:12 PM

I don't know how many members are in the foundation.Those who are resigning don't know what's the reason but it's really a bad news. Sad
It was some months ago. Several people left for various reasons including that they felt the foundation was not transparent enough. At least a few ended up not leaving after all.

Oh, what things?

waaat?

Activity: 574
Merit: 104

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 09:56:58 PM

if you don't like the rotten and centralised foundation join the distributed, legitimate one here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2015, 02:50:26 PM by Spendulus

It was some months ago. Several people left for various reasons including that they felt the foundation was not transparent enough. At least a few ended up not leaving after all.

Oh, what things?
For example, your defense of Pierce.  Leave the pedo stuff aside, look at his long history of hard core drug use, which he admits to, IIRC.  So he publicly admits to felonies for which he has not been convicted.

I'm not saying that a lot of us don't have problems, or that they perhaps shouldn't be left buried in the past.  

But this attitude of yours that there's a transitional line between "good human" and "bad human" crossed when a court issues a felony conviction?   That's ridiculous.  

Second you allege that "the Foundation represents Bitcoin."  Well, maybe to a lot of people and for very good reasons The Foundation represented Mark Karpeles.  Ever heard of him?  

Ever looked at how many non profit foundations have multiple board members under criminal indictments?

Basically, NONE.  Not one in a thousand.  But you'd ignore that, apparently...

By your logic not only is Pierce innocent, but also Shrem and Karpeles, and many others who are well known scammers and hustlers.    Obviously, something is rotten in your logic there.  That is what I feel impelled to point out.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:12:25 PM

if you don't like the rotten and centralised foundation join the distributed, legitimate one here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934517.0
What do you think about the gemini winklevi exchange being centralized as hell but being praised as the saviour of bitcoin? is centralization good or bad for bitcoin?
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:38:56 PM

Oh, what things?
For example, your defense of Pierce.  Leave the pedo stuff aside, look at his long history of hard core drug use, which he admits to, IIRC.  So he publicly admits to felonies for which he has not been convicted.

I'm not saying that a lot of us don't have problems, or that they perhaps shouldn't be left buried in the past.  

But this attitude of yours that there's a transitional line between "good human" and "bad human" crossed when a court issues a felony conviction?   That's ridiculous.  

Second you allege that "the Foundation represents Bitcoin."  Well, maybe to a lot of people and for very good reasons The Foundation represented Mark Karpeles.  Ever heard of him?  

Ever looked at how many non profit foundations have multiple board members under criminal indictments?

Basically, NONE.  Not one in a thousand.  But you'd ignore that, apparently...

By your logic not only is Pierce innocent, but also Shrem and Karpeles, and many others who are well known scammers and hustlers.    Obviously, something is rotten in your logic there.  That is what I feel impelled to point out.

I understand. I would ask you to consider that I am not defending Pierce, Shrem, or Karpeles. I am trying to separate facts from accusations. I lobbied against Brock Peirce for his seat. But the election had him as the winner anyway. Should I disregard a fair vote because he was accused of something in the past? Should his drug use preclude him from serving? If so then why can George Bush do acid and coke and still be president? It's true that if Brock were convicted I would feel different. Not because he goes from being good to bad, but because the claim was seriously looked at and investigated by a court rather than a bitcoin forum.
Look at the case of Mark K. You would think from reading here that he stole the money at Gox. There is no evidence of that, but the people who lost money want to blame someone rather than face the idea that an anonymous thief took their money and it is gone forever. Maybe Mark did take the money, maybe not. We do not know. That's the fact, and all I'm saying. 

Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 04:41:25 PM

So you are basically telling me that this guy is resining and speaking about other people that they are doing crimes etc... and those people won't go to jail ? Could someone please explain why ?

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2015, 04:45:57 PM

So you are basically telling me that this guy is resining and speaking about other people that they are doing crimes etc... and those people won't go to jail ? Could someone please explain why ?
No. What crimes are you talking about?

Madness

Activity: 644

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 04:47:39 PM

No. What crimes are you talking about?

"Charlie Shrem engaging in alleged money laundering and associated crimes."
"Brock Pierce being associated with alleged pedophilia. (Now newly elected to an industry seat)"

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: