Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:30:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto-currencies in 10 years  (Read 5708 times)
E-C.Guru

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:57:26 PM

Something is only worth as much as everyone agrees it's worth as much. I can declare that my $1 monopoly money is worth USD1000, but, would the rest of the world pay USD1000 for my $1 monopoly dollar?

No. But if you and your 1000 friends all agreed on that NuffCoin is worth 10 dollar you can all trade with eachother using a NuffCoin thats worth 10 dollar. If someone sells their share for an outside currency that don't have to affect the group of 999 individuals at all. It just means they changed 1 share-holder to another. Closed e-currencies will be a reality, trust me. Just like countries today close their markets for outside manipulation and take-over same will happen with e-currencies.

"Yeah but what if 10% of this 1000 group all did it at the same time"

Well, let me tell you something. The western world consists of super-societes with people moving back and forth between different cities(super societes) all the time. Most of the world DOES NOT. Most of the humans on earth live their whole lives in the community they grew up in. Hard to understand for a modern westerner perhaps, but a fact. And this is NOT going to change in the way that everyone becomes "modern people". QUite the opposite. The western world will become more like the third world and vice versa. Either way the majority of humans will live in smaller communities/huge families connected to the greater GLOBAL super-society thus making it a very necessary thing to protect your groups economy(energy/life-force) from the outside.
Nikinger

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:11:57 PM

Because of the increasing regulation and an obscure overcomplicated taxation system, crypto coins will never exists as an easy-to-use payment like PayPal, Credit Card or some future Apple or Amazon payment method. If the avarge Joe choices to invest in cryptos anyway, he has the choice between weeks long verification marathons OR travelling a long distance for a meeting with a shady person.

Due to lack of usability for legal purposes (see above), crooks will increasyly involve cryptos in illegal activities and because of increasing illegal activity, govs will tighten the restrictment until the solely posession of crypto is threatened with a fine or even jail.

Trusted computing, internet censorship and elimination of cash will accelrate the process of thinning out the blockchain nodes connectivity.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:20:23 PM

Something is only worth as much as everyone agrees it's worth as much. I can declare that my $1 monopoly money is worth USD1000, but, would the rest of the world pay USD1000 for my $1 monopoly dollar?

No. But if you and your 1000 friends all agreed on that NuffCoin is worth 10 dollar you can all trade with eachother using a NuffCoin thats worth 10 dollar. If someone sells their share for an outside currency that don't have to affect the group of 999 individuals at all. It just means they changed 1 share-holder to another. Closed e-currencies will be a reality, trust me. Just like countries today close their markets for outside manipulation and take-over same will happen with e-currencies.

If a small group agrees that 1 NuffCoin is worth 10 dollars, and uses this system to trade balances between group members, then how is NuffCoin different than an accounting system?  And what prevents there price from diverging from 10 dollars?  Are NuffCoins backed somehow?

Can you explain the value proposition of these private e-coins in more detail?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:27:24 PM

Because of the increasing regulation and an obscure overcomplicated taxation system, crypto coins will never exists as an easy-to-use payment ...

You don't see "increasing regulation" in the legacy financial system coupled with an "obscure overcomplicated taxation system" as an impetus for bitcoin adoption? 

One of the main advantages of bitcoin is that any user can send funds to any other user anywhere in the world without the assistance of a third-party or the permission of a government.  Bitcoin is designed to route around red-tape. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
MrBea

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

Bitcorns

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:58:52 PM

why do you think dogecoin and litecoin will still be relevant in 10 years, that sounds crazy to me.

dogecoin is dead already. its just no one has told the relatives yet and they are still holding on in hope that their dear dogecoin will come walking in with a bright smile on its face, filling the hole in their lives.

Dogecoin will be relevent exactly because the above negativity is very unattractive. 

Gathering bitcorns.
Campsis

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

WW3

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:12:45 PM

WDC $150
LTC $700
NMC $450

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:13:09 PM

Because of the increasing regulation and an obscure overcomplicated taxation system, crypto coins will never exists as an easy-to-use payment like PayPal, Credit Card or some future Apple or Amazon payment method. If the avarge Joe choices to invest in cryptos anyway, he has the choice between weeks long verification marathons OR travelling a long distance for a meeting with a shady person.

Due to lack of usability for legal purposes (see above), crooks will increasyly involve cryptos in illegal activities and because of increasing illegal activity, govs will tighten the restrictment until the solely posession of crypto is threatened with a fine or even jail.

Trusted computing, internet censorship and elimination of cash will accelrate the process of thinning out the blockchain nodes connectivity.

Coinbase already has a fairly easy payment system.
Who is waiting weeks?  I can buy coins instantly on Coinbase
as well.  And internet censorship would only hasten the
flock to distributed systems.

professorXY

Activity: 166

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:55:22 PM

hundreds of cryptosurrencies will go away and only 2-3 of them will remane. They will become popular worldwide
xsmoffx

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:58:38 PM

hundreds of cryptosurrencies will go away and only 2-3 of them will remane. They will become popular worldwide

which of the already existing currencies will become popular in your opinion?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:00:59 PM

generally agree...although could be maybe 5-7... 2 or 3 big ones and 3-4 lesser used but still
accepted

professorXY

Activity: 166

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:02:07 PM

I'm pretty sure one of them will be bitcoin. Other could be completely new
Nikinger

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:11:08 PM

Because of the increasing regulation and an obscure overcomplicated taxation system, crypto coins will never exists as an easy-to-use payment ...

You don't see "increasing regulation" in the legacy financial system coupled with an "obscure overcomplicated taxation system" as an impetus for bitcoin adoption?  
No.
I don't call it adoption if avarge Joe avoids crypto because he would have to do verification marathons before selling or buying crypto.
I don't call it adoption if avarge Joe avoids crypto because it requires a pile of paper for buying a coffee at Starbucks with crypto.
For the minor part of the population, cyber criminals, this is probably just a solvable problem because they doesn't have to bother with the compliciated taxation system anyway. They only have to find a way to buy or sell anonymously.

Coinbase already has a fairly easy payment system.
And internet censorship would only hasten the
flock to distributed systems.
Still ... yes. I don't think this "easy buy easy sell on Coinbase" will last long, not even 10 years.

As long as the internet censorship is "only" filtering for traffic and ports, cryptos could survive certainly.
But if the world wide censorshop really manages to go that far in allowing only connections to pre-defined nodes which requires a valid license and a mandatory certificate (no P2P traffic between arbitrary IPs anymore) combined with a mandatory trusted computing secured device to connect to the "internet", then I could imagine that all cryptos really disappear.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:13:04 PM

But if the world wide censorshop really manages to go that far in allowing only connections to pre-defined nodes which requires a valid license and a mandatory certificate (no P2P traffic between arbitrary IPs anymore) combined with a mandatory trusted computing secured device to connect to the "internet", then I could imagine that all cryptos really disappear.

If that happens, then we have bigger problems to worry about than Bitcoin.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:13:28 PM

why do you think dogecoin and litecoin will still be relevant in 10 years, that sounds crazy to me.

Dogecoin is an at all time high and Litecoin has a pretty big market cap. Please tell me why Lite and Doge won't be relevant.

lies
february 22: 0.00000214
may 11: 0.00000105

litecoin is still growing it is on par with bitcoin in 2012 (3 year old) it has projects still in the works.
dogecoin. apart from alot of hoarders and traders on unsecured exchanges (meaning not bitstamp or btc-e) i cannot see any innovation or methods to buy dogecoin direct. but you can deposit actual dollars into btc-e and buy litecoins. is used by actual merchants and there will be a litecoinlocal.com

so i would not put doge in the same category as bitcoin or litecoin

http://www.cryptocoinstats.com/priceforecaster.php

as you can see all altcoins have a short period of increased value and start to decline from there, litecoin seems to be the only exception for now, following the same trend as bitcoin. However even litecoin will most likely never replace bitcoin and will most likely fail as well as all the other altcoins.
cyberlink

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:17:14 PM

Just to imagine I think that only crypto currencies will exist, may be key will be integrated into human bodies, like in Johnny Mnemonic movie. But it's only fantasies. Everything depends now on government and how they will take bitcoin and other currencies.
Balls

Activity: 338

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:23:52 PM

They'll probably be gone and replaced by something else.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:26:42 PM

I think they'll always be around in some form. If they're not the same as they are now it'll be something similar based on the technology. It will b interesting to see if any countries actually adopt a crypto model, though I guess they'll usually like to keep the power for themselves.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:04:32 PM

Will be replaced by the next great innovation and will watch their market share dwindle down to nothing.

Nathonas

Activity: 280

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 06:56:07 PM

There will be one main crypto - probably Bitcoin, maybe Litecoin or something else. It will be accepted pretty much anywhere and used with plastic cards similar to credit cards. Smaller cryptocoins might be viable in specific fields.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
jkljb

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:30:33 PM

I'm pretty sure one of them will be bitcoin. Other could be completely new
NEM.  Grin

I believe that bitcoin is replaceable by another, with the price there on high, he probably worth some ten thousand, becomes merely speculative, because who accept a coin of 10 - 100K which has a range of hundreds of USDs every minute?

A coin that has a control deflation/inflation, price stability, fair distributed between big part of the population of the earth would be what one might call Ideal Money.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: