Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:35:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY CHANGE(aka BIP hell)?  (Read 10297 times)
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:26:16 PM

seriously people(Garvin and Luke)!
why the hell keep changing things all the time? this is about to get very annoying!

fork the code please, and start your own coin! this that you are doing are not helping bitcoin.

DON'T FIX IT, IF IT'S NOT BROKEN.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cm68jd

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:30:13 PM

What? There are many flaws in bitcoin and Gavin is doing a great job of addressing them. I personally hope BIP 17 or a standard solution is decided on, but I would never hope that bitcoin remains unchanged. Bitcoin can become so much better than it is now.
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:32:40 PM

What? There are many flaws in bitcoin and Gavin is doing a great job of addressing them. I personally hope BIP 17 or a standard solution is decided on, but I would never hope that bitcoin remains unchanged. Bitcoin can become so much better than it is now.
agree, but they are right now introducing fancy features and bugs and flaws.

these people are crazy you know?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:34:15 PM

yeah, allowing your wallet to be stolen is not broken. having to remember/transfer super long addresses is not broken Roll Eyes

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:36:56 PM

yeah, allowing your wallet to be stolen is not broken. having to remember/transfer super long addresses is not broken Roll Eyes
i have been using bitcoin for some time, i have never got my wallet stolen.
you people are crying about some collective delusion you are having.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:43:51 PM

please read the actual proposal. it will tell you the reasons for implementing it.
>this problem never occurred to me, therefore it doesn't exist at all

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:52:50 PM

please read the actual proposal. it will tell you the reasons for implementing it.
can you please explain it to me, so even my small unintelligent mind can understand it?

Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:55:55 PM

can you please explain it to me, so even my small unintelligent mind can understand it?

I think it's pretty simple:

Many people *have* had their bitcoins stolen, and this is a problem that we need to address before we can expect widespread bitcoin adoption.

Multikey is a very important feature, that will allow better services to emerge, which will drive further bitcoin adoption.

Gavin is doing a great job, and you should show him some respect.
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:01:56 PM

I think it's pretty simple:

Many people *have* had their bitcoins stolen, and this is a problem that we need to address before we can expect widespread bitcoin adoption.

Multikey is a very important feature, that will allow better services to emerge, which will drive further bitcoin adoption.
OP_CHECKMULTISIG, please explain the reason to change the protocol in a non compatible way
people should protect their bitcoin better, it is not a good reason for protocol change.

Gavin is doing a great job, and you should show him some respect.
i do, when he is not acting like a child. P2SH is childish.

DiThi

Activity: 156

Firstbits: 1dithi

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:19:09 PM

OP_CHECKMULTISIG, please explain the reason to change the protocol in a non compatible way
people should protect their bitcoin better, it is not a good reason for protocol change.

Tell me how we can do m-of-n signatures, or escrow without trusting a third party (or with a third party only in case of dispute).

Those "fancy features" are, in my humble opinion, the killer features that will guarantee bitcoin's success. It requires the consensus of the network, however.

1DiThiTXZpNmmoGF2dTfSku3EWGsWHCjwt
piuk
expert

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 07:26:57 PM

Tell me how we can do m-of-n signatures, or escrow without trusting a third party (or with a third party only in case of dispute).

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0011.

kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:30:16 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0011.
+1

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 07:44:22 PM

Those "fancy features" are, in my humble opinion, the killer features that will guarantee bitcoin's success. It requires the consensus of the network, however.
I couldn't agree more.  Bitcoin without these features is still pretty "killer"…but these features are really going to set it apart from everything else.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:45:19 PM

I couldn't agree more.  Bitcoin without these features is still pretty "killer"…but these features are really going to set it apart from everything else.
HOW? OP_CHECKMULTISIG, already exists, what more do you need?

DiThi

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:51:00 PM

Ok, I misread PIP 11 the first time. Then why they're pushing PIP 16/17 so hard? While I think it will be needed, I don't think it's a priority. The first thing we need is GUI support for what we already have.

kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:53:53 PM

HOW? OP_CHECKMULTISIG, already exists, what more do you need?

There are already a couple threads discussing this. Have you read them?
sure but they are bullshit. the point in them is: sender don't have to pay, the receiver do. and mining pool, can put different fees on different transactions. this is not a reason to break stuff

DiThi

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 08:09:29 PM

After much thought I came to realize what's the main purpose of PIP 16/17 while we already have PIP 11: The reason is secure wallets that are always multisig without superlong addresses. We'll also have space savings in the chain.

We need PIP 16/17 but what's urgent is PIP 11 in client GUIs.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 08:13:51 PM

After much thought I came to realize what's the main purpose of PIP 16/17 while we already have PIP 11: The reason is secure wallets that are always multisig without superlong addresses. We'll also have space savings in the chain.

We need PIP 16/17 but what's urgent is PIP 11 in client GUIs.

No we don't. BIP 11 is dead on arrival.

The receiver gets all the benefit and the senders pays for it.  WTF?

You ask me to pay you with some super long address and I will say NOPE.
You try to cashout from Mt. Gox to some super long address and they will say NOPE.
You open an online store and try to get customers to pay to some super logn address and they will say NOPE.

BIP 16/17 is what makes BIP 11 USEFUL in the real world.    
kokjo (OP)
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 08:20:21 PM

ever heard of send to self?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 08:23:27 PM

ever heard of send to self?

Which provides no security.  Any trojan or wallet stealer would simply intercept the funds sent to "insecure" addresses.  If the addresses are secure well you didn't need multi-sig anyways.

Plus multi-sig usefulness goes way beyond just secure wallets.  However w/ BIP 11 the entity "paying the cost" isn't the entity getting the benefit.  It is non-viable from an economics standpoint and likely to significantly increase rate of blockchain bloat if it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: