Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:33:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Metadisk - Blockchain Based File Sharing - Powered by Storj  (Read 39241 times)
zoro1

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 10:49:30 AM

The good think with metadisk is that it is opensourse, meaning that "anyone" can setup a node like this and use it to store files to storj network Wink

https://storjtalk.org/index.php
storj:decentralized cloud and much more!
kingnuze

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:15:22 PM

I know once Metadisk is operating fully for the general public Storj(sjcx) will dominate this space, if you look at in a corporate standpoint Storj has the potential to disrupt the whole cloud service industry and solidify Storj's market place.... Grin
bitofc

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:46:47 PM

From users' standpoint, user-friendly interface and usage is very important, with Metadisk's drag and drop UI, I think most users would find no problem using it.  Open source & end to end encryption makes more companies willing to store their data on Storj. 
hammouti

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 11:01:54 PM

i would love to participate in the Batch 2
how can i? and is it international?
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 12:51:24 AM

It's a global thing, why not?

More info here: http://storj.io/earlyaccess.html

Early Access Test Groups for DriveShare Beta

We have released the Early Access Plans for the DriveShare Beta, as announced on our forum and social media. Crowdsale participants get exclusive access to early farming software and applications.

Test Group A and B will be open only to crowdsale participants. Anyone can acquire 10,000 SJCX to participate in Test Group C.

There will be 3 Test Groups:

Group A Crowdsale participants holding 10,000 SJCX - Not Rewarded (Late 2014)
Group B All participants in the crowdsale - Rewarded (Early 2015)
Group C Anyone holding 10,000 SJCX or more - Rewarded (Early 2015)

SJCX can be purchased at any time and be added to your address balance to be able to qualify for Test Group C. Also your original crowdsale address can be topped up to and over 10,000 SJCX to be eligible for Test Group A.

“Not Rewarded” means Group A will only be helping with testing and will not earn coins for sharing their storage. “Rewarded” means you will earn SJCX to share your free storage during beta testing (Groups B and C).

At the time of testing, make sure you use a SJCX or Bitcoin address where you control the private keys; we do not recommend using an address from an exchange. There may be a need to verify you actually own the address before you are allowed to be a tester. We are still finalizing the details and we will make more announcements when closer to the early release.

In the interest of clarity, if you have any questions or something isn’t clear please ask by posting on our Q&A on StorjTalk and we will keep it in consideration when we get closer to release.

cryptoVIP

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 01:46:26 AM

I'd love to join the batch #2

huanix

Activity: 71

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:53:45 AM

Only people who participated in the original crowdsale in August can participate in Test group A and B. Anyone who has 10,000 SJCX can participate in Test Group C, but the time frame hasn't been announced yet.
fireblond

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

Thrive

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:12:57 AM

I'd love to join the batch #2
Sorry but from the looks of it I don't think you participated in the crowdsale so you won't be able to join batch 2 (B) However you can participate in Test group C if you  acquire 10 000 SJCX for more information you should checkout : http://storj.io/earlyaccess.html  Wink

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     T H R I V E     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
THE PREMIUM DECENTRALIZED AD MARKETPLACE
Facebook    Twitter    Linkedin    Telegram    Medium    TGE PRIVATE ROUND  |  January 15th, 2018  ]
entharal

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:07:43 PM

Due to the increase in value, the 10 000 SJCX "ticket" to enter the beta might be too steep for some.
hammouti

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:11:45 PM

Only people who participated in the original crowdsale in August can participate in Test group A and B. Anyone who has 10,000 SJCX can participate in Test Group C, but the time frame hasn't been announced yet.
too bad  Undecided can't wait for the official launch
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:35:25 PM

Due to the increase in value, the 10 000 SJCX "ticket" to enter the beta might be too steep for some.

agreed. its the equivalent of telling some one "here is the very first iPod, but it will cost you $350 to try it, if it works well, we will release 450 million iPods, but at a cheaper price."

There is only 44 million coins out in the wild out of a possible 500 million. The devs should release a block of coins, say 20 million, and put a sell wall well below the current market price say 4k SAT or even cheaper. it shouldn't cost 1.5 BTC to participate in a beta. They would still raise money, get more people involved in the beta, which will look amazing in regards to media and advertising.
kingnuze

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 10:25:47 PM

agreed. its the equivalent of telling some one "here is the very first iPod, but it will cost you $350 to try it, if it works well, we will release 450 million iPods, but at a cheaper price."

There is only 44 million coins out in the wild out of a possible 500 million. The devs should release a block of coins, say 20 million, and put a sell wall well below the current market price say 4k SAT or even cheaper. it shouldn't cost 1.5 BTC to participate in a beta. They would still raise money, get more people involved in the beta, which will look amazing in regards to media and advertising.

It will get more people involved... but can everyone's computers handle any problems that may occur, thats why Storj only wants those that can handle any problems that may happen and can give valuable feedback...
victerion

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:02:13 PM

People would need to keep their computers on for this to work right? What if you need to access your data and they turned their computer off? Great idea though, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

I imagine people would have an incentive to leave their computers on 24/7 to earn more. I know I certainly will. I also imagine that file storage would have redundancy for safety reasons.

you need to leave your computer running. storj uses "heartbeats" to check the status of a node. If a node drops (ie you turn off your server), it will seek out another node to copy the file you hosted, then it will end your contract. It does this so 3 copies (minimum) of the hosted file is available online at all times. When you contract ends you will no longer be paid storj because you are no longer providing the service of hosting the encrypted files.

There's no way to resume a contract? That's a bit silly. What if I need to turn off a server for maintenance? Do I have to start a new one?

Don't think there's a big deal to resume a previous contract. Just turn your node back up again and get another contract in the queue.
#tip - run it on a Linux box, you will have better uptime on it.

http://rs2img.memecdn.com/update_o_986903.jpg

most likely this ^. it seems to be a intuitive and simple enough UI. resuming a contract will most likely require no great effort.
heunland

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 11:26:21 PM

It will get more people involved... but can everyone's computers handle any problems that may occur, thats why Storj only wants those that can handle any problems that may happen and can give valuable feedback...

Well said, kingnuze, the early beta groups are targeted to people with some level of technical knowledge to be able to provide valuable feedback which will make the end product much more resilient upon release to the general public. And regarding the comment made by entharal, please remember that there is no requirement for anyone to buy a "ticket" - if you don´t believe it´s worth the current price of SJCX to be part of the beta testing groups, please be patient and wait for the final release to the general public. At that point you will be able to farm on DriveShare and earn SJCX without having any previous SJCX balance. The coins that are not currently in circulation are reserved so that Storj can raise more money in the future to continue development and to pay early farmers for contribution to testing the system. We need to keep these coins in reserve, there are relatively few people using SJCX and no one farming yet (for a reward). Please check the FAQ for more details here: http://storj.io/faq.html#faq-7-3 and join the storj community at https://storjtalk.org so you can actively participate in the community development and post your suggestions on the forum for discussion.
fox19891989

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 01:07:50 AM

If can't get 10k SJCX, they can join the final release, everyone can farm and get reward Cheesy
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 02:00:23 AM

so you are saying that the only way Storj can ensure beta testers give valuable feedback is by making it cost prohibitive for people to participate? Having money doesn't mean you are smarter. You can always get one person with 10,000 STJX who will give bad feedback.

Also, you want things to break during the beta phase, so issues can be addressed before public release. You don't to find out that storj has problems with 1000 nodes if the beta phases was only completed with 100 due to the 1.5 BTC "buy-in" required to participate.

There are plenty of people here who could contribute valuable time and energy to this project, but will choose not to participate due to the 10,000 STJX required. 
huanix

Activity: 71

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:48:21 AM

so you are saying that the only way Storj can ensure beta testers give valuable feedback is by making it cost prohibitive for people to participate? Having money doesn't mean you are smarter. You can always get one person with 10,000 STJX who will give bad feedback.

Also, you want things to break during the beta phase, so issues can be addressed before public release. You don't to find out that storj has problems with 1000 nodes if the beta phases was only completed with 100 due to the 1.5 BTC "buy-in" required to participate.

There are plenty of people here who could contribute valuable time and energy to this project, but will choose not to participate due to the 10,000 STJX required. 

Sometimes we're lucky enough to hop on board early, and sometimes we get stuck playing catch-up... It's all part of the game. 10,000 SJCX is cost prohibitive, but it sets a fair barrier of entry for those who are really invested in the project. (No, I don't have 10,000 SJCX... still debating whether I can afford it - prob not.)
entharal

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:08:18 PM

This phase of the project is basically a closed beta, because just having 10k SJCX is not enough, you need to have been a crowdsale participant as well. So it basically is an invite-only closed beta. In later stages, anyone will be able to participate, so there is going to be the open beta stage too. Hopefully the devs will anounce a more precise timeline soon.

Anyway, this is one of the most exciting developements in the crypto world, and it is refreshing to see a real, need-fulfilling project alongside all those useless coins (that have a larger market cap then storj, btw, but that's another story and oddity of this world)
aparajita241

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:30:48 PM

Although 10k Storj is a bit too expensive but the coin is based on a revolutionary idea and it has all its bases covered and can be a huge success. Imagine if the coin is an instant hit then the return these early adopters might get. More often than not the early adopters always get the profit by investing in these kind of projects.
applesaucey

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:08:18 PM

It can definitely be profitable. The actual "product" Storj is offering is rock-solid. And I, for one, will definitely use it. My only concern is whether the public actually cares enough to be smart about their security. A lot of times, success is about who gets to market first. And with people heavily invested (space-wise) in things like Dropbox, laziness about moving could outweigh the protection they'd get from moving to Storj.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: