Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:26:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Metadisk - Blockchain Based File Sharing - Powered by Storj  (Read 39241 times)
pigheadbig

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Factom Use Case - Protecting Sony Pictures with Blockchain Technology

Watch how Blockchain Technology can protect Sony Pictures using Factom and Storj.

what's the relationship about Factom and Storj?
any link?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
l3mmy

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 09:01:19 PM

Factom Use Case - Protecting Sony Pictures with Blockchain Technology

Watch how Blockchain Technology can protect Sony Pictures using Factom and Storj.

what's the relationship about Factom and Storj?
any link?

Storj will eventually use factom to store metadata of files on the bitcoin blockchain,  if you look at the Whitepaper this is currently being done on its own with florincoin,  https://storj.io/storj.pdf

Bethecloud
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 09:18:43 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 09:48:10 PM by tokyoghetto

will farmers need to maintain a minimum amount of coins in order to use driveshare?

might be interesting to see what type of valuation Storj can achieve if every node required 10,000 coins to run, sort of like Darkcoin. This would help raise funds for the developers and community.

This can be even broken down based on the amount of HD Space being shared. So for every 1TB a node needs 1000 STJX. This could ensure that the people hosting aren't some hacked servers or a pentuim 286 on an unreliable internet/electricity grid.

This might also stop or hinder blackhats from using stolen storage space to run nodes, as they will have to invest in a node in order to participate.

l3mmy

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 10:51:06 PM

will farmers need to maintain a minimum amount of coins in order to use driveshare?

might be interesting to see what type of valuation Storj can achieve if every node required 10,000 coins to run, sort of like Darkcoin. This would help raise funds for the developers and community.

This can be even broken down based on the amount of HD Space being shared. So for every 1TB a node needs 1000 STJX. This could ensure that the people hosting aren't some hacked servers or a pentuim 286 on an unreliable internet/electricity grid.

This might also stop or hinder blackhats from using stolen storage space to run nodes, as they will have to invest in a node in order to participate.

Currently to use the software sjcx is considered a software license, however in the future that may change.

I like the having to invest to use it however that could present some issues for adoption as the 10,000 per fairly distributed would be 50,000 nodes and nobody would have and sjcx to buy space on the network.

Keep coming with great ideas! #bethecloud
mjc

Activity: 588

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2014, 11:30:01 PM

Currently to use the software sjcx is considered a software license, however in the future that may change.

I like the having to invest to use it however that could present some issues for adoption as the 10,000 per fairly distributed would be 50,000 nodes and nobody would have and sjcx to buy space on the network.

I thought the 10,000 SJCX to be involved in Test Group C was just to rise barrier and have the parties show active interest in the technology.  I didn't think that was going to be an on going requirement.  As you noted that would limit the number of nodes to 50,000 and remove all SJCX from the market place.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
l3mmy

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:53:56 AM

I thought the 10,000 SJCX to be involved in Test Group C was just to rise barrier and have the parties show active interest in the technology.  I didn't think that was going to be an on going requirement.  As you noted that would limit the number of nodes to 50,000 and remove all SJCX from the market place.

There is nothing written one way or another regarding that.  Storj also reserves the right to future crowdsales so there could be some rewards as far as access to future crowdsales.  Time will tell.

Bethecloud
majdog

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:24:23 AM

People would need to keep their computers on for this to work right? What if you need to access your data and they turned their computer off? Great idea though, I'm excited to see how this turns out.
Un4givn85

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:35:48 AM

Sounds like it is extremely secure!
mjc

Activity: 588

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 01:56:10 AM

People would need to keep their computers on for this to work right? What if you need to access your data and they turned their computer off? Great idea though, I'm excited to see how this turns out.

The files are broken into pieces called shards.  Each Shard is written to 3 or more computers, similar to how a RAID drive does.  This creates a fault tolerance to the network.  A heartbeat is sent to each node and if the node is found to be offline then the shard that were on that node are replicated elsewhere.

So a file that contains 5 shards could be saved to 15 different computers.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
tokyoghetto
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:04:00 AM

The number to run the node can always be lowered to further decentralization. I just see this as a way to discourage theft of storage space by blackhats. It would also increase the value of Storj giving the community and developers access to more funds to further development.
p4ch1nk0

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:13:21 AM

I imagine people would have an incentive to leave their computers on 24/7 to earn more. I know I certainly will. I also imagine that file storage would have redundancy for safety reasons.
tokyoghetto
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:19:22 AM

I imagine people would have an incentive to leave their computers on 24/7 to earn more. I know I certainly will. I also imagine that file storage would have redundancy for safety reasons.

you need to leave your computer running. storj uses "heartbeats" to check the status of a node. If a node drops (ie you turn off your server), it will seek out another node to copy the file you hosted, then it will end your contract. It does this so 3 copies (minimum) of the hosted file is available online at all times. When you contract ends you will no longer be paid storj because you are no longer providing the service of hosting the encrypted files.
p4ch1nk0

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:51:19 AM

you need to leave your computer running. storj uses "heartbeats" to check the status of a node. If a node drops (ie you turn off your server), it will seek out another node to copy the file you hosted, then it will end your contract. It does this so 3 copies (minimum) of the hosted file is available online at all times. When you contract ends you will no longer be paid storj because you are no longer providing the service of hosting the encrypted files.

There's no way to resume a contract? That's a bit silly. What if I need to turn off a server for maintenance? Do I have to start a new one?
l3mmy

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:54:21 AM

There's no way to resume a contract? That's a bit silly. What if I need to turn off a server for maintenance? Do I have to start a new one?

The heartbeat frequency may be set so there is time for that and some files may not need as many checks as often.  Part of the reason for test group A is gathering data to figure out what is needed.
aparajita241

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 07:01:48 AM

You all got me interested. But I have a simple question Huh. This seems a bit complicated from a normal man's perspective. I mean should a normal/ not so technosavy person opt for this kind of service , do we really need it and is it available across all platform?
DeltaForce103

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 07:15:11 AM

You all got me interested. But I have a simple question Huh. This seems a bit complicated from a normal man's perspective. I mean should a normal/ not so technosavy person opt for this kind of service , do we really need it and is it available across all platform?

Not at this stage, when it's still in the beta. But once the service is online and available to the public, there's no reason why it should be anymore complicated to use than other file sharing services and available cross-platform. A lot of the advantages discussed here convert into real benefits in terms of cost and security for the average consumer.
fireblond

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

Thrive

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 07:22:21 AM

The platform will be very simple and easy to use you don't have to worry. I think anyone will enjoy using It  Smiley

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     T H R I V E     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
THE PREMIUM DECENTRALIZED AD MARKETPLACE
Facebook    Twitter    Linkedin    Telegram    Medium    TGE PRIVATE ROUND  |  January 15th, 2018  ]
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 07:51:04 AM

Don't think there's a big deal to resume a previous contract. Just turn your node back up again and get another contract in the queue.
#tip - run it on a Linux box, you will have better uptime on it.

KazakhPrince

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 08:09:22 AM

I like the idea to keep a minimum SJCX to run dark-coin , but see how dark coin ended , Massive pump and dumps .. we should learn from other coin's mistake , or would be great to give more preference to nodes that hold more SJCX ?
hammouti

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 09:34:06 AM

that a great idea
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: