Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 08:47:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Single Bitcoin will Worth $100K - Do You Believe it?  (Read 13551 times)
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:10:38 PM

Coins have been already lost and many much will be lost. People forget the private keys and good bye to the coins.

True that coins will be lost and have already. But so far just half of the target amount has been mined. With 2-sig wallets the loss risk will be reduced. Even if a lot coins are lost it will not be a problem because the protocol may be changed to allow smaller units than Satoshis. Or there will be a consense after longer time to remine lost coins that ha not been touched over many year (20+).

There have been so many predictions on the end scenarios of Bitcoin that I do not believe in a single one anymore. Compare it to IPV4. Same problems and still after 40 years it is alive and used around the world.
CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:41:37 PM

I have a question:  how many Americans have 21 million dollars?

My guess is quite a few.  I think 100K will be easily attainable for bitcoin given time.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 06:49:21 PM

I have a question:  how many Americans have 21 million dollars?

My guess is quite a few.  I think 100K will be easily attainable for bitcoin given time.

Yeah, the thing to think about here is that we are moving (I think) towards referring to coins as "bits." When it really comes down to it, nobody would need to have $100k t0 make Bitcoin worth $100k+. Just like none of us have $1b, yet there are trillions of dollars in USD alone. Each person has PART of what is available. The same goes with Bitcoin.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
JessyMatt (OP)

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 08:11:40 PM

Before it reaches $100k, most people would have sold it all. That will just leave a minority group holding lots of bitcoin. Less people use bitcoin to transact, it becomes useless.

I agree...because of the lack of trust presently, most people will sell with a quick gain leaving a few investors with the vast!

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
xux99

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2014, 08:26:12 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2014, 10:33:44 PM by xux99

BitCoin will never probably go that high as it will face competition from newer better altcoins. The total market capitalization of all cryptocoins is expected to increase exponentially but BitCoin's share will gradually decrease.

r34tr783tr78

Activity: 481
Merit: 268

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 09:59:56 PM

It depends how the system is implemented, but in many cases the need of two signatures will increase the risk of coins being lost. Since there are two keys, there is twice the risk that one will be lost.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:05:17 PM

BitCoin will never probably go that high as it will face competition from newer better altcoins. The total market capitalization off all cryptocoins is expected to increase exponentially but BitCoin's share will gradually decrease.

At some point people have to collectively decide what they're going to get behind. You can't operate a very useful economy if it's hopelessly diluted by countless clones.
RandomPedestrianN9

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:06:34 PM

BitCoin will never probably go that high as it will face competition from newer better altcoins. The total market capitalization off all cryptocoins is expected to increase exponentially but BitCoin's share will gradually decrease.

At some point people have to collectively decide what they're going to get behind. You can't operate a very useful economy if it's hopelessly diluted by countless clones.

Why not? Competition is healthy.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:51:30 PM

Not to mention the majority of coins are still priced based on BTC. As long as this trend keeps going, BTC will always be the main one, and all the clones will always be dependent upon it.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:09:03 PM

It is healthy but not practical if you're trying to build an operating economy. If it sticks to speculation then that's another matter.

Buying a house with crypto would be a pain up the arse if you had to pay 50% BTC, 30% NXT, 10% Doge and a few other coins because none of their markets were liquid enough for big transactions.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:10:47 PM

altcoins are way behind

Were are the altcoin ATMs, where can you spend your altcoins?

Nowhere, and you can't

end of story.

Altcoins are just a pump and dump pyramid scheme and they don't serve much other purpose.

If any altcoin actually improves on some aspect of bitcoin, it will be far easier to just change that aspect of the bitcoin protocol rather than having to rebuild all the infrastructure over and over.

Bitcoin is finally getting some traction in the physical world and big online companies are starting to notice it and sometimes even thinking about implementing it, but they'll never even stop to think about using scamcoin 3000.
pinksheep

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:49:00 PM

100k is bearish for the long run, it might even get above a million.

What time frame do you mean by 'the long run'? Some of us are no longer in our 20s or 30s & hope that it'll get there sooner rather than later  Wink

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 12:10:21 AM

After 2nd bubble which will happen around late 2015, i think it's very possible. Bitcoin is financial revolution, actually the first real money out there.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:37:04 AM

Altcoins are just a pump and dump pyramid scheme and they don't serve much other purpose.

I completely disagree with this statement. I think if any altcoins can completely decouple from Bitcoin, they could go above and beyond it. The issue we have right now with Bitcoin is that it's so widespread with pools and miners that making hard forks (for major changes) is getting more and more difficult.

JimNastics

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 08:38:45 AM

BitCoin will never probably go that high as it will face competition from newer better altcoins. The total market capitalization of all cryptocoins is expected to increase exponentially but BitCoin's share will gradually decrease.

This deluded belief is going to cost a lot of people a lot of money. I say "a lot of" people, it's really just those in the current crypto communities who have been sucked in to the altcoin delirium (hey look, that's a cool name for another altcoin!). Bitcoin will be the only coin that ever gains mass adoption across the world, it's far too far ahead now. The only altcoins left standing will be those with some niche usage, such as absolute anon. The few genuinely useful altcoins (whenever they actually arrive) might make devs and a small group of early adopters wealthy, but Bitcoin is the safe place to be for the long run.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:30:41 AM

100k is bearish for the long run, it might even get above a million.

What time frame do you mean by 'the long run'? Some of us are no longer in our 20s or 30s & hope that it'll get there sooner rather than later  Wink

2018-2020

Bitcoin is pretty young, and I expect facebook-like growth.

I completely disagree with this statement. I think if any altcoins can completely decouple from Bitcoin, they could go above and beyond it. The issue we have right now with Bitcoin is that it's so widespread with pools and miners that making hard forks (for major changes) is getting more and more difficult.

Still far easier than trying to get an altcoin accepted by the mainstream. And once that new altcoin becomes outdated repeat the whole process again with yet another altcoin. And with mainstream I also mean venture capital, big industries (both online and offline), a lot of small industries, your local supermarket, etc.

Simply not gunna happen.

There's a reason coin map only shows the location of physical shops that accept bitcoin and lite coin. Because these are the two original coins and even lite coin does not come close to bitcoin.

After a few years there will most likely not be many Altcoins to begin with
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:37:16 AM

What a worthless news website. They are claiming in thailand bitcoin is illegal. lol

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:14:59 PM

Are you saying bitcoin is equivalent to gold? Bitcoin is virtual so how would people feel safe in investing if the traditional market crashes or a financial crisis occurs?

Bitcoin is not virtual.

You cannot create it out of thin air. You cannot replace it if the private keys are lost. The blockchain contains all the 21 million coins that can ever exist. no more. no less.

the number of coins available can only GO down (not counting the addition of coins until the year 2140) due to lost private keys.

each bitcoin or fraction of a bitcoin is a real object, digital yes, but REAL. REAL UNIQUE MATH.

The USD/FRN is virtual. It is not backed by anything physical or unique. It can be whipped into existence just because someone deposits cash into a bank account (look up fractional reserve lending). it can be printed in any quantity at any time by the federal reserve. In fact the only difference between USD/FRN's and Monopoly money is that the fed puts serial numbers on their paper.

It's not physical either so what is it?

Algorithmic / Abstract

It occupies the same realm as numbers. Of themselves they are an abstract quality, but applied to discrete objects they describe a reality.

Say you have 10 $1 bills. You can say you have 10 dollars, but the existence of a dollar is not intrinsically tied to that bill. You could equally have 1 $10 bill. So the dollar is abstract, physical representations of the dollar are real, but they are no more a dollar than a casascius coin is a bitcoin. The physical dollar bills, are tokens that represent the abstract entity of a "US Dollar". In bitcoin, the state of the blockchain represents the abstract entity of a "Bitcoin". Wallets are the 'dollar bills' of varying denominations.

So in terms of existence the dollar and the bitcoin are really not that much different. The ways in which transfer of ownership may happen share many parallels, although with fiat there is a monopoly over the electronic transmission (banking system). The biggest difference is the mechanism of creation - who is in charge of the money supply.

For better or worse, that seems to be the biggest disturbance to the status quo of the world's economy. Interesting times. I'm amazed people feel so sure that things will go one way or another. Never go full fiat/BTC Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:12:35 PM

Before it reaches $100k, most people would have sold it all. That will just leave a minority group holding lots of bitcoin. Less people use bitcoin to transact, it becomes useless.

Yes right, come up with a stupid premise and build silly deductions on top of that great! Like: "Before it reaches $100k, every person on earth will have some coins. That will have the coins equally spread out, and allow everybody transact over internet and nobody will be too rich or too poor."

i am satoshi
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:11:30 PM

It can happen, the other question is, will $100k will have the same value as now!? Earlier or later th US Dollar will be collapsing.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: