Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:44:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Starfish BCB - Loans and Deposits  (Read 60451 times)
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:37:07 PM

All of my (admittedly small) withdrawals have been done within 24 hours.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatrickHarnett (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:22:43 PM

To date meeting withdrawal requests has still been achieved reasonably quickly (basically within a day).  If I was to receive a request for 2k from one of my largest depositors, I do not see a good reason why that would or could extend beyond a couple of weeks allowing me to sensibly move or liquidate some assets.  If everyone asked for their funds back (16k), that would take a lot longer.

Can you give a specific upper bound?
What if you received a withdraw request from everyone, today?

As discussed directly with you, and as set out above, a request to extract 16,000 BTC would take a long time.  In order to generate returns to pay interest takes time and effort and perhaps it isn't appreciated that there are not simple quick tricks generating income.  I have a diversified portfolio of investments, a good mix of customers and carry the risk from bad loans and the timing of requests.  As such, it also requires me to carry higher liquid funds than something like a bricks and mortar bank.  Also, as I have said above, the past two weeks have seen many more coins sent out than received.  That is a mix of nervousness from people wanting to put coins under their mattress, my decision to largely halt deposits (although I have allowed some), and meeting commitments from my own funds.

I am not going to set a "specific" upper bound as to do so would likely see it breached at some time in the future (say if the ten largest depositors decided to leave).  If this is not acceptable, please send a withdrawal request and I will process it as rapidly as possible.
mik3

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:35:21 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2015, 06:57:35 PM by mik3

Patrick is awesome, took care of my btc and gave good return, now withdrawn with no problems, thank you.
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 10:31:50 PM

I've been doing a couple of loans the past few days and bitcoinland appears to be settling down a bit.  I've also allowed a few new accounts based on specific requests.  Therefore, I'm re-opening deposits for accounts up to 100BTC.  As usual, funds will be applied to loans and investments in low risk ventures (including fixed rate bonds and some mining because they still generate decent returns). 
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 10:53:07 PM

Please note the discussion and in particular the following assessment at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105285.msg1153048#msg1153048

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:23:07 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2012, 05:58:05 PM by sadpandatech

Please note the discussion and in particular the following assessment at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105285.msg1153048#msg1153048

I'm going to be nice and just leave it at this. That guy has serious issues and his motives are any thing but trying to look out or anyone but number 1.

You can't look at APR when loans are on a weekly or monthly scale.

He intentionally left out that you have stopped deposits when the market got too volatile when using that as a reason to state another lender was legit.

Sadly, I just don't have the energy to go put it straight. It's disturbing to see some others there eating out of his palm with the severe lack of any technical analysis of the short term industry.

One more to add to my ignore list is all.

Might be helpful if you have more of your borrowers come in here and post in the thread that they are borrowing at 2% per week and happy to do so. I think it will be a long time in the Bitcoin world before it is feasible to not have MPR = to real world APR. That is how I consider it because of the quick turn over nature of BTC. In the future it will need to be adjusted and I'm fairly sure that it will be those who are much more adept in finance than Micon that will know when that should be.

That is all.

cheers,
 Panda

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:25:41 PM

I'm going to be nice and just leave it at this. That guy has serious issues and his motives are any thing but trying to look out or anyone but number 1.

You can't look at APR when loans are on a weekly or monthly scale.

He intentionally left out that you have stopped deposits when the market got too volatile when using that as a reason to state another lender was legit.

Sadly, I just don't have the energy to go put it straight. It's disturbing to see some others there eating out of his palm with the severe lack of any technical analysis of the short term industry.

One more to add to my ignore list is all.

Might be helpful if you have more of your borrowers come in here and post in the thread that they are borrowing at 2% per week and happy to do so. I think it will be a long time in the Bitcoin world before it is feasible to not have MPR = to real world APR. That is how I consider it because of the quick turn over nature of BTC. In the future it will need to be adjusted and I'm fairly sure that it will be those who are much more adept in finance than Micon that will know whne that should be.

That is all.

cheers,
 Panda

+1 sorry for the massive quote I'm on my phone,  but Micoin seems to be deliberately ignoring the fact that the basis of this lending is very short term loans, whilst mentioning sealswithclubs at every opportunity. I wonder what *he* is up to.
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 08:17:13 PM

I would like to apologise for the crap in the lending section.  I thought it would be useful to seek some clarification about what it would take for Starfish to achieve the mythical Micon seal of approval.  What that turned out to be was essentially revealing the details of every piece of business that I transact in bitcoinland.  Despite the fact that it doesn't all take place in the blockchain, and providing a couple of references, my concern that they would focus on any gaps was rapidly confirmed.  I do not think exposing customer details in such a blatant way is a good idea and so I've given up on that for now and will let those that think I have poor judgement and am running a scam continue to believe so.

Also of interest, I exchanged pm's with nrd525 regarding his nine-point checklist for ponzi spotting.  I was applying it to my Kraken Fund and entities like a real bank or a corporate like Apple.  I considered it would be useful if he provided an assessment.  I received a nice reply which, other than saying he wouldn't like to be associated with me, where he asked a couple of sensible questions that I answered for him.  Apparently I baffle him doing what I do here.
sadpandatech

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 09:45:05 PM

Well, lets baffle them all some more.  I am submitting a loan request to your inbox at an insane APR. ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:16:14 PM

Well, lets baffle them all some more.  I am submitting a loan request to your inbox at an insane APR. ;p

Beware, you'll be accused of being a shill and encouraging children to lose their pocket money.  Based on how BS&T people were treated, that is a risk for you (and others).
sadpandatech

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:25:21 PM

No worries here, m8. Like you, I'm a big boy and contrary to what some of the more rabid 'white knights' may believe, there are a lot more highly intelligent peoples around here who can maths and stuffs than they give the community credit for. ;p I'll admit I suck at 'Log' math though. Stuff makes me wanna gouge my eyeballs out. =)

- GA

PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:41:18 PM

No worries here, m8. Like you, I'm a big boy and contrary to what some of the more rabid 'white knights' may believe, there are a lot more highly intelligent peoples around here who can maths and stuffs than they give the community credit for. ;p I'll admit I suck at 'Log' math though. Stuff makes me wanna gouge my eyeballs out. =)

I had trouble with partial derivatives so fail comp methods, but I did pass my 1st year calculus and thought the algebra paper deserved a better mark.  So only ended up with an undergrad science degree (double in Statistics and Computer Science) and post grad commerce degree (Operations Research).  But, I'm just a starfish.

BTW - loan funds on their way.
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 11:14:49 PM

I thought it would be useful to seek some clarification about what it would take for Starfish to achieve the mythical Micon seal of approval.  What that turned out to be was essentially revealing the details of every piece of business that I transact in bitcoinland. 

Nothing Mythical about it.  Anyone offering to borrow more money at 1% per week after having already borrowed ~$200k USD and with a positive balance sheet appears to be a scam.  I am willing to debate this with you.  Please answer me the following question about your balance sheet:

Quote from: PatrickHarnett
July 2012 activity (updated 1 August 2012)
 - 14 loans repaid  (approx 7800BTC)
 - 32 loans current (approx 8800 BTC)
 - 66 deposits (total approx 15400)
 - deposits repaid during the month (at call) >3600

Total liabilities (Deposits + other commitments) = 19,700
Total assets (cash, BTC, investments) = 37,100
Net assets 17,400BTC

this seems to me that you claim to owe 19,700 BTC to current depositors.  
you claim to have 37,100 BTC between cash / BTC / investments

Q:  Why would you ever need to borrow another satoshi at 1% if you have 17,400 BTC profit ?

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
sadpandatech

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 11:20:41 PM

Q:  Why would you ever need to borrow another satoshi at 1% if you have 17,400 BTC profit ?

Where did you come up with his net assets being labeled as 'profit' from this;

Net assets 17,400BTC

- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 11:29:04 PM

Anyone offering to borrow more money at 1% per week after having already borrowed ~$200k USD and with a positive balance sheet appears to be a scam.

Where do you calculate this vast richness from?
If he borrows at 1% and lends out at 2% per week then he would have profit of;
$200,000 ^ .01 = $2000

That's not quite enough to retire on. And is likely barely enough to invest much more time in than what he does now.

Not even sure where you got 200k from;

For July we see;
 - 14 loans repaid  (approx 7800BTC)

if we calculate it on 1% borrowing percent and 2% lending % per week.
 - 14 loans repaid  (approx 7800BTC)  brought in 624BTC for the month
and
 - 66 deposits (total approx 15400)  got paid out 616BTC for the month

Leaving the Lending institution with a gain of 8BTC from loans

- GA

PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 11:35:05 PM

Why would I require more deposits?  Actually I don't.
Where are all of these other "riches"?  It's no secret I have a BS&T account - the numbers shown covered everything.  But Starfish deposits don't go there.  I now also have Kraken to account for and have had 7Seas for a while.  If I split them up, then it would be easy to hide things between accounts, so taking an overall picture was logical.
WifeOfStarfish

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:19:46 AM

I thought it would be useful to seek some clarification about what it would take for Starfish to achieve the mythical Micon seal of approval.  What that turned out to be was essentially revealing the details of every piece of business that I transact in bitcoinland. 

Nothing Mythical about it.  Anyone offering to borrow more money at 1% per week after having already borrowed ~$200k USD and with a positive balance sheet appears to be a scam.  I am willing to debate this with you.  Please answer me the following question about your balance sheet:

Net assets 17,400BTC

Hmmm...On the one hand we have Micon's unqualified opinions and on the other - a starfish with a masters degree in commerce. It's down to the wire but I think the starfish has the tiniest edge re. credibility.
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 05:37:57 AM

Net assets 17,400BTC

Hmmm...On the one hand we have Micon's unqualified opinions and on the other - a starfish with a masters degree in commerce. It's down to the wire but I think the starfish has the tiniest edge re. credibility.

1) I'm a college drop out, I have no degrees of any sort.

2) I expect this question to be dodged over and over, so I'm going to keep posting it and "Starfish" is going to keep not responding:

Net assets 17,400BTC

Do you claim to have 17,400 BTC in profit?   

Total liabilities (Deposits + other commitments) = 19,700  <---- this is the total number of deposits you have on hand from your "investors" ?

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2012, 05:43:42 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2012, 05:56:05 AM by Rassah

Sorry to chime in, but I have a masters in finance, and work for a banking entity, so have experience in lending and such, and this starfish thing also doesn't seem right to me. From what I've read, it doesn't seem that Patrick is trying to deliberately scam people, but it very much looks like he is promising something that will be impossible to deliver.
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2012, 05:52:36 AM

Total liabilities (Deposits + other commitments) = 19,700  <---- this is the total number of deposits you have on hand from your "investors" ?

I'm sorry that I have not pointed you to the previous posts:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61262.msg1127390#msg1127390
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61262.msg981017#msg981017

Currently Starfish BCB deposits are 16851 - I update this every week in this thread (as customers are fully aware).  

I also have 5500 in liabilities under the Kraken Fund (you'll find that over in securities, limited to 25 people, restricted account limits, uncertain earnings),
4173 in BS&T deposits that I set up as a favour for three people that asked if I would do that for them, and 162 BTC in 7Seas.

Do I claim to have 17000 in profit, not at the moment, the M2M is about 13,200.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: