Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:54:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FS: PCI-Express Extender Cables(w/ Molex)*GPU Dummy Plugs*PSU Adapters  (Read 83010 times)
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:52:45 PM

It depends on whether your PSU is a single rail or multi rail. Also the gauge of the wire supplying the molex connectors should be taken into consideration. On some cheap secondary (~350W) PSUs I was using the molex connectors which had approximately 20-24 AWG wire, I melted both the molex connector and wire connected to a 5850 via molex to 6-pin adapters.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pokermon919

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:39:37 PM

Shorting the presence detect pins should correct this issue, one would bridge pins A1 & B17 as in this picture:

A 24-ga wire should slide right into place without forcing.

This is something that seems to effect a small percentage of motherboards, while on the majority it won't be necessary.

Ok shorting the pins work! If your comp won't pick up from a pcie 1x slot short it like this picture. At first it didn't work for me probably because I didn't have a solid connection since the holes are so small.
Thor

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:55:26 PM

I have just received several of these cables and seem to be running into a problem not described anywhere else here.

If I have a card plugged into an adapted x1 ->x16 cable (plugging the extender into an x16 slot) the computer refuses to boot at all.  Using a combination of sapphire 5850s and 5870s on a Crosshair IV Formula motherboard.  This happens even if I am only plugging in one of the cards that works when plugged straight into the motherboard, so I am confident it isn't any sort of ATX power issue.  I have tried with, and without, the pins shorted as shown in many of the diagrams here.

I appreciate any help or insight anyone here may be able to offer.

Thank you.
Cablesaurus (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 05:07:16 PM

I have just received several of these cables and seem to be running into a problem not described anywhere else here.

If I have a card plugged into an adapted x1 ->x16 cable (plugging the extender into an x16 slot) the computer refuses to boot at all.  Using a combination of sapphire 5850s and 5870s on a Crosshair IV Formula motherboard.  This happens even if I am only plugging in one of the cards that works when plugged straight into the motherboard, so I am confident it isn't any sort of ATX power issue.  I have tried with, and without, the pins shorted as shown in many of the diagrams here.

Thank you.

Hi Thor, some motherboards will boot with the 1x->16x adapter plugged into the 16x slot, however in many cases you would need a straight 16-16x cable. Send me an e-mail to sales@cablesaurus.com and I can get a replacement in order if necessary.

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:40:18 PM

Thank you.

I've also noted that some of the low-end microATX boards with one X1 and one X16 slot will not support use of both slots simultaneously.  I have a couple of machines with cards in the X16 slot to which I was hoping to add another card using the X1 to X16 adapter.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 08:39:01 PM

I've also noted that some of the low-end microATX boards with one X1 and one X16 slot will not support use of both slots simultaneously.  I have a couple of machines with cards in the X16 slot to which I was hoping to add another card using the X1 to X16 adapter.

That'd be motherboard related if booting 2 cards wasn't supported, unrelated to using an extender.

Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:10:38 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my third card. I have this motherboard and 3 5870. Two are in pci e x16 slots and working OK. I bought x16 to x1 converter to get the third in, but my computer doesn't recognize the third card - I can only see 2 in device manager.
I am running Windows7 and already tried the solution suggested earlier in this thread shortening A1 and B17. I'm sure I did it right because I checked the connection with multimeter.

sc8nt4u

Activity: 286

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 11:18:21 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my third card. I have this motherboard and 3 5870. Two are in pci e x16 slots and working OK. I bought x16 to x1 converter to get the third in, but my computer doesn't recognize the third card - I can only see 2 in device manager.
I am running Windows7 and already tried the solution suggested earlier in this thread shortening A1 and B17. I'm sure I did it right because I checked the connection with multimeter.

Haha, I like the picture. Sorry I can't help you though.
Coma

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:14:47 AM

For the 1x 16x w/Molex conector it states:
# The molex connector helps prevent physical cable damage and possible motherboard wear from running a dual-GPU video card through an extender cable

I don't know if I need a molex conector. Does this means it is better but not necessary in any case?
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:38:20 AM

# The molex connector helps prevent physical cable damage and possible motherboard wear from running a dual-GPU video card through an extender cable

I don't know if I need a molex conector. Does this means it is better but not necessary in any case?

Take a look at this: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=44

If all you've got is one card, you don't need the molex connector, as the cable itself can handle the current that the card draws from the motherboard.  The problem is when you're running multiple cards, the power drawn through the motherboard all adds up, and can potentially melt something.

I don't know the exact point at which you need the molex connector.  I went with it for the single 5970 on my 5-card rig.  Maybe I could have gotten away with not using it, but I didn't want to take the chance.
Coma

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:14:28 AM

Take a look at this: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=44

If all you've got is one card, you don't need the molex connector, as the cable itself can handle the current that the card draws from the motherboard.  The problem is when you're running multiple cards, the power drawn through the motherboard all adds up, and can potentially melt something.

I don't know the exact point at which you need the molex connector.  I went with it for the single 5970 on my 5-card rig.  Maybe I could have gotten away with not using it, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Following those instructions I can play it safe I guess.
Great link, thanks.
Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 06:28:49 AM

Hi,

I am running Windows7 and already tried the solution suggested earlier in this thread shortening A1 and B17. I'm sure I did it right because I checked the connection with multimeter. [/img]
Your picture is awesome. Smiley Do you have a Dummy Plug inserted into the card? That's likely why it's not detecting, in Windows a display always needed to be connected to your card, whether real or via GPU Dummy Plug.

mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 08:59:07 AM

Hi,

I am running Windows7 and already tried the solution suggested earlier in this thread shortening A1 and B17. I'm sure I did it right because I checked the connection with multimeter. [/img]
Your picture is awesome. Smiley Do you have a Dummy Plug inserted into the card? That's likely why it's not detecting, in Windows a display always needed to be connected to your card, whether real or via GPU Dummy Plug.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think you are wrong. Dummy plug is not necessary for the card to be recognized as a device. In my experience dummy plug is only necessary to initiate GPU. In any case, I've tried it just to be sure with and without dummy plug. Also, I tried booting up with a monitor plugged in - no luck. One more thing - I tried taking out one of the working cards from pci e x16 and inserting the extender there, but it also didn't work. Unfortunately, the only conclusion I arrive is that the extender got damaged in transport although I cannot see any obvious damage. Is there any way to check it?
anatolikostis
Legendary

Activity: 2026
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:33:36 AM

PCIe 1x -> 16x Adapter Extender Cable

Does it fit to HD5xxx without doing additional manipulation?
I mean without need to do jumper...
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:54:17 PM

Cablesaurus : do you have any pics of the soon to come mining chassis? 

Thanks Smiley

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 03:16:44 PM

PCIe 1x -> 16x Adapter Extender Cable

Does it fit to HD5xxx without doing additional manipulation?
I mean without need to do jumper...

1x -> 16x Adapter will work for any 16x card from the 1x slot. Bridging is only used on generally lower end motherboards that have trouble detecting, and is independent of the card you use.

Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 03:20:00 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2011, 03:35:27 PM by Cablesaurus

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I think you are wrong. Dummy plug is not necessary for the card to be recognized as a device. In my experience dummy plug is only necessary to initiate GPU. In any case, I've tried it just to be sure with and without dummy plug. Also, I tried booting up with a monitor plugged in - no luck. One more thing - I tried taking out one of the working cards from pci e x16 and inserting the extender there, but it also didn't work. Unfortunately, the only conclusion I arrive is that the extender got damaged in transport although I cannot see any obvious damage. Is there any way to check it?

The 1x to 16x Extender will not work from all motherboards from a 16x slot. It generally must be used from the 1x slot to your 16x card.
Every card I've used regardless of extender requires a dummy plug to initiate especially with Windows, and must remain plugged in for the duration of the cards use. This is required for any non crossfired card.

Edit: Saw your PM that things are working now, thanks for the update.

Wes1180

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:05:50 AM

I have this motherboard and the xfx 6950, i am thinking about getting another one.

So I'd get one of the x1 to x16, but would I need the molex connection?
And how would I put the gpu in the case as the cable would cause a gap between the x1 and the card wouldn't it?
Also how would I use that open ended x1 slot? would that mean that you'd have to take off the one you have and put that in its place?
Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 05:49:47 PM

I have this motherboard and the xfx 6950, i am thinking about getting another one.

So I'd get one of the x1 to x16, but would I need the molex connection?
And how would I put the gpu in the case as the cable would cause a gap between the x1 and the card wouldn't it?
Also how would I use that open ended x1 slot? would that mean that you'd have to take off the one you have and put that in its place?

Hi there,
- Molex connected cables are needed solely for 5970 and 6990 users
- We're working on our hardware chassis, pictures will be up this weekend and shipments will begin as soon as possible
- The open ended slot will fit right onto your 16x card, it is designed to fit your current slot and card

Cablesaurus (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 05:56:55 PM

For all those curious about the newly arriving Mining/Computer Hardware Chassis, pictures will be up of the first model this weekend and orders will begin.
This model will be a rack mountable solution.

Shipments will take about a week to begin, more details and pictures to follow.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: