Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:47:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How often do you use BTC to buy something?
Whenever I can - 165 (28.7%)
Occasionally - 245 (42.6%)
Never, I wait for the price to go up - 165 (28.7%)
Total Voters: 575

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 62 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you USE your BTC?  (Read 30954 times)
Bibop

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:25:54 PM

There are not enough options by using BTC right now..
I hope it will improve someday.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:05:47 PM

There are quite a lot of options, actually. There is cryptothrift, which is similar to Ebay (but accepts BTC). There is Bitpremier, where you can buy luxury real estate for Bitcoins. There is agoracommodities, where you can buy Bullion for Bitcoin. I agree that Bitcoin shopping doesn't have the variety which Paypal / VISA shopping possess, but it is vastly improving.
bSpend (OP)

Activity: 430
Merit: 271

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:16:54 PM

I wonder when people say that they wait for the price to go up before spending, why not just buy more BTC at the current price and spend it. That way you'll still have the old stash intact, right? Smiley

Savings (a more appropriate word then "hoarding") are important for a healthy economy.  The demand to hold money (save it) affects the supply available for lending, and thus the risk-free interest rate.  

In the fiat world, the interest rate is reduced by the central bank below its market value to "stimulate the economy."  They achieve this interest-rate reduction by increasing the supply of money available for lending (out of thin air).  This punishes savers (the savers would have lent their money if the interest rate had been higher) and rewards inefficient businesses (inefficient businesses may have gone out of business with higher funding costs, making room for new innovative companies).

When you look at it like this, it becomes clear that any increase in the money supply by the central bank (e.g., to reduce interest rates) is a transfer of wealth from savers to inefficient businesses (and individuals with high debt levels).  

Savings makes the economy more efficient.  

I was talking more about the ratio of spending vs saving (very low for BTC, hence hoarding) and how it competes with fiat currencies, especially from the merchant perspective.. if there is no spending there is very little incentive for a merchant to bother about accepting BTC payments. Of course that saving is also positive, but excessive saving stifles the economy.

Use? It's a store of value, not something you use.  Shocked

Yes, it is a good store of value but so is gold, the advantage of BTC is that it can quickly move around unlike gold. On the other hand, its security is not as well established as that of gold (Bitcoin protocol is very new compared to how long gold has been around, some disastrous bug might surface any day and so on). So if Bitcoin is to be used only as a store of value it doesn't have a significant advantage over gold, that's why I think it's important that BTC is used actually as much as possible on the day to day basis.

Any time I see a store I definitely want to use Bitcoin, the problem is there just isn't any stores right now that supply the things I need, the only ones so far that have come close are games and computer components, I'll definitely be buying those with Bitcoin when I can. We're not there yet, but with companies like Overstock.com going for it, we're getting close, when I see my Jewellery supplier accepting Bitcoin etc. or Morrisons I'll be giddy because those are really the main places I spend my money.

Most things I want are just expensive one-off payments, e.g. Cintiq or Jewellery tools that will last for years, I have bought a game with Bitcoin and would have no problem doing so later.

Could you search for something that you need here http://www.bspend.com/ and let me know if you found it, I'm curious. Under links there are services such as accommodation booking, flights, tours etc. So there's so much that can be bought with BTC already

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 05:19:20 PM

Hoping Xapo will hurry up & get their credit/debit card out that is backed by a btc account. I will use it for everything at that point.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:11:32 PM

Savings (a more appropriate word then "hoarding") are important for a healthy economy.  The demand to hold money (save it) affects the supply available for lending, and thus the risk-free interest rate.  

In the fiat world, the interest rate is reduced by the central bank below its market value to "stimulate the economy."  They achieve this interest-rate reduction by increasing the supply of money available for lending (out of thin air).  This punishes savers (the savers would have lent their money if the interest rate had been higher) and rewards inefficient businesses (inefficient businesses may have gone out of business with higher funding costs, making room for new innovative companies).

When you look at it like this, it becomes clear that any increase in the money supply by the central bank (e.g., to reduce interest rates) is a transfer of wealth from savers to inefficient businesses (and individuals with high debt levels).  

Savings makes the economy more efficient.  

I was talking more about the ratio of spending vs saving (very low for BTC, hence hoarding) and how it competes with fiat currencies, especially from the merchant perspective.. if there is no spending there is very little incentive for a merchant to bother about accepting BTC payments. Of course that saving is also positive, but excessive saving stifles the economy.

How would you propose to differentiate savings that are "excessive" from savings that are "just right"?  Personally I don't see how, in a completely voluntary market like bitcoin, savings could ever be "excessive."  It seems that savings are always "just right" because otherwise free individuals would spend their bitcoins are acquire more. 

Right not bitcoin is primarily used as a store of value.  This is why the velocity of money for bitcoin (for trade of real goods and services) is small.  Moving forward to "bitcoin as a medium of exchange" I think it is better to focus on the creating jobs that pay in bitcoin, than it is to convince merchants to accept it.  This creates a more organic pool of demand for real goods and services priced in bitcoin: "why would I pay USD if I have to convert out of bitcoin first?"

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
elavenil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:16:21 PM

Of course i am using it. Right now most of my transactions i am using bitcoin only. I am stopped using my paypal on most occasions.

Malin Keshar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:51:36 PM

bitcoin will make markets that couldn't exist because of lack of an efficient way to move resources without paying a fuckton of taxes and maybe exposing your personal data. It is already happening in the market subforums, just give it time. I think that once enough critical mass is gathered, it will expand quickly, like btc price itself

And services are buyable things too, not only stuff you can have in your hands matters
nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:52:40 PM

I have .027 Bitcoins just sitting and waiting for the price to go up. Hopefully that .027 will be worth $500 someday.

nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:53:31 PM

I dont necessarily have anything that seems interesting to buy right now with the other amount of bitcoins that I have.

Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:14:04 PM

Hoarding can be an issue, but there is still a good amount in circulation. I did spend BTC previously, but not so much anymore. I would rather use altcoins such as Mintcoin instead. Mintcoin gives 20% interest in the first year, and I can use that, as it is essentially "free."
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:16:59 PM

As everyone knows one of the major problems with Bitcoin economy is hoarding. The idea of this poll is to find out whether the lack of spending in the BTC economy is mainly due to the lack of acceptance of Bitcoin payments, or is it that people can actually buy a good deal of stuff that they need with BTC but choose not to.

I just hoard them at the moment Tongue The price is too low to be buying stuff with it. Cold Storage FTW
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #PfPUZw9csEoWNtSg

Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:04:34 PM

I used to try and use Bitcoin but because of the volatility in value, I have trouble with it. I would rather use altcoins like Mintcoin since they are more expendable.
validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:10:00 PM

I mostly use bitcoins to buy virtual items but i want to start hoarding in the coming future.

CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:20:48 PM

I trade on mid-term / long-term. So I do tend to hoard. And I tend to sell when I can realize a good deal of profit.

Do I use my BTC?  Tongue

a7594li

Activity: 711

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:53:40 AM

I just hold BTC

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀████████▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ██████████   ▀▀██▄
▄██▀     ████████████     ▀██▄
██▀      ██████████████      ▀██
██▀      ████████████████      ▀██
██▀      ██████████████████      ▀██
▄██      █████████  █████████      ██▄
██      █████████    █████████      ██
██     █████████      █████████     ██
██    █████████        █████████    ██
██   █████████          █████████   ██
▀██ ██████████████████████████████ ██▀
████████████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████████   █████████
████████████████████     ███████
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  .A.P.H.E.L.I.O.N.  [    ] 
▄████████████████████████▄
████████████▀     ████████
███████████       ████████
███████████    ███████████
████████          ████████
████████          ████████
▀████████████████████████▀

██████████████████████████
████▀  ▀██████████████████
████▄  ▄██████████████████
████    ██    █▀    ▀█████
████    ██     ▄▄     ████
████    ██    ████    ████

███████████████▀▀▀▀███████
████ ▀███████▀      ▀▀▀███
████    ▀▀██▀        ▄████
████▄               ██████
█████▄             ███████
██████▄           ████████
███▀██▀▀        ▄█████████
████▄▄       ▄▄███████████

██████████████████▀▀   ███
██████████████▀▀  ▄█▀ ▄███
██████████▀▀    ▄█▀   ████
██████▀▀      ▄█▀    ▄████
██▀▀        ▄█▀      █████
████▄▄    ▄█▀       ▄█████
████████▄█▀         ██████
██████████   ▄     ▄██████
██████████ ▄████▄▄ ███████
  ▶  Whitepaper
▶  Website
▶  Register
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:14:18 AM

Use it on some gambling sites Grin Grin Grin

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:55:46 AM

I keep mine invested. I live in a very small town so not much opportunity to spend. When the time comes for a new computer I will use tiger direct and pay in bit coin. Same for Overstock if I need household goods etc. 

tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:58:29 AM

I absolutely use my bitcoins for transactions. I have been very vocal on here that the best (if not only) way to build bitcoin into a viable currency is through commerce and adaptation. Those that are buying bitcoin and holding are still valuable to our community. So, I do not wish to put them down in any way...the more people involved in any fashion, the better. But, true bitcoin growth will come though its usage as an everyday currency.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:59:57 AM

I keep mine invested. I live in a very small town so not much opportunity to spend. When the time comes for a new computer I will use tiger direct and pay in bit coin. Same for Overstock if I need household goods etc. 

You are aware of Gyft, right? I tend to spend a good deal of bitcoin at Gyft buying Amazon.com gift cards, and occasionally other gift cards.

hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:19:56 AM

Well hoarding is a nice way to contribute to the rising the price per btc, but well i dont believe in hoarding, i use btc whenever I can.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 62 »
  Print  

Jump to: