Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:10:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero (XMR) Speculation thread  (Read 50211 times)
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 02:05:56 PM

I am interested to invest in Monero for the long term but I have many concerns.

- I use a virtual machine and I can't install monero on XP (32 bit), all platforms should be supported.

- When BTC is rising, LTC/BTC goes up but not monero, so we loose money, it seems difficult to grow without btc-e and bigger exchanges.

Why should anybody support a platform that is outdated like XP?
Should we support Amiga and Atari too?

We do support XP - we just don't support XP 32-bit until the embedded database is out (due to memory constraints).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JohnD

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 02:20:01 PM

- I use a virtual machine and I can't install monero on XP (32 bit), all platforms should be supported.

- When BTC is rising, LTC/BTC goes up but not monero, so we loose money, it seems difficult to grow without btc-e and bigger exchanges.

Is Monero a cryptocurrency for geeks only?

Don't forget the people that don't use the latest hardware.. They are numerous...

People with old hardware can always use Linux. Easy to install, easy to use.

I have no idea why so many people are still using XP. Using XP is the best way to loose all your coins.
Ryota

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 02:27:01 PM

Is Monero a cryptocurrency for geeks only?

Don't forget the people that don't use the latest hardware.. They are numerous...

People with old hardware can always use Linux. Easy to install, easy to use.

I have no idea why so many people are still using XP. Using XP is the best way to loose all your coins.

I don't use old hardware. I use a virtual machine for my wallets and XP is clean by default.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:10:39 PM

I don't use old hardware. I use a virtual machine for my wallets and XP is clean by default.

Please don't think that the unwelcoming answers are from Monero users! This thread is infested by trolls that are paid by other coins. The friendly answers come from actual Monero people Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:14:18 PM

Hey Ryota, the Monero team are going to address this once the embedded database is complete, which is one of the main things on the agenda at the moment.

We do support XP - we just don't support XP 32-bit until the embedded database is out (due to memory constraints).
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:17:02 PM

I would like to buy some Monero coins, but have not any idea how to do it. Did some googling, but didn't find any good help. If anyone could help! Thanks for any help!

Poloniex.com has the biggest volume. There are other exchanges on the OP of monero main thread.

I like Poloniex.  Because of the volume, bid/ask spreads are a bit lower.  Polo also has markets denominated in XMR, so that you could buy NXT, for example, with XMR.  

Seems like there might be opportunities for arbitrage between BTer and Polo, but I've never really tried it.  I suppose you could buy on BTer and move it to Polo, but if you're new to it, I think you're better off just opening an account at Poloniex.

One other thing I'll add...for me, anyway, and maybe I was just tired at the time, I had a hard time figuring out how to transfer BTC to Polo.  You have to go to "Balances" and scroll down a ways to see BTC.  Then you'll have to hit the button to generate a new BTC address.  Then transfer to that new address.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 03:56:33 PM

hitbtc has nearly same 24h volume like polo, 101k vs 96k usd. who is active trading there?

i dont know why, but i have inhibitions to go and trade there. Am i the only one?

Saw that on coinmarketcap to. At a first glance it looks very nice and you can even withdraw EUR/USD if you exchange your monero to btc. Unfortunately there's no direct XMR -> USD/EUR gate.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:50:24 PM

If you must run Windows XP as the host, and install the wallets in a VM, then  I suggest running GNU/Linux 64bit in a VM. Oracle Virtualbox still supports XP. Give the VM running Monero as much memory as possible. I believe one can run 64bit GNU/Linux in a VM with 32bit Windows XP as the host, using Virtualbox. https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46904. One must however enable CPU virtualization support in the BIOS. If your hardware is fairly recent then this should be possible.

My experience is mostly the other way around running Microsoft Windows guests on a GNU/Linux host. In fact I still run XP, 2000 and even NT4 with this setup. The biggest concern I do have with a GNU/Linux guest on a Microsoft Windows host is key-logging malware on the host intercepting wallet passwords and / or private keys. Granted this may be safer than running Monero directly on Microsoft Windows but some of the risk still remains. For this reason I have to strongly advise against giving any Microsoft operating system access to XBT or XMR wallet passwords and / or private keys and would recommend the Windows guest on GNU/Linux host approach instead.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
sparky999

Activity: 473

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 04:52:08 PM

I trade on HitBTC - I have no complaints at all. There is always a couple of hundred monero very close to spot and it seems to replenish very quickly allowing for substantial purchases with out moving the price at all.
whoknowsthisnose

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2014, 09:51:49 PM

I'm trading at hitbtc too, maybe for 6 weeks. In the beginning there were very profitable opportunities for arbitrage, but in the last 3 weeks it seems like bots are ruling: with a 5-digit-precision hitbtc mirrors the prices of Poloniex. Not always, but nearly always.

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 10:43:05 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 01:05:59 AM by David Latapie

Hi folks!

I got sick of all the altcoin pump and dumps around and dismissed all altcoins for 6 months and focused on BTC. But now i feel/see an increasing demand in alts with anonymity as a key feature.

I am sure you have done a lot more reading / researching on this matter.

What makes monero stand out in comparison to other alts like DRK for example?
Q: Prove me that Monero is not yet-another-shitcoin is a start.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 02:32:53 AM

hhaha  The trolls are really getting desperate.  Ive never seen such low quality tolling against monero, they are shifting tactics yet again.

vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 03:54:08 AM

Somebody is LOADING UP at Polo.  10,000 XMR at .0035.  Been there all day (at least) and just now starting to get some action. 
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 09:12:06 AM

Preliminary remark: don't even think of accusing me of shilling for BBR. If an altcoin community can't handle criticism, or even just critical questions, it isn't worth investing in, imo.

x-post from another thread. The rest of the thread can be safely ignored, full of shit posts.

Have you tried downloading the client? Everything is clunky and slow. I'm not really big on Cryptonote, but I tried Boolberry, just to see if the problem was endemic to Cryptonote, and it isn't. Boolberry was basically one click, fast and everything worked. Using Monero gave me the perception that it was put together by incompetents. These people are holding up a pile of shit and claiming that it's gold. The community is literally full of megalomaniac delusionals. At least put some effort into usability!

Absolutely agreed. I posted about this previously:

I've just attempted to install XMR wallet on OSX. visited the (awfully formatted) page at http://monero.cc/getting-started/ to extract the OSX setup in a tar.bz2 archive

I'm left with some cryptic error in the command line about boost librarys

Meanwhile the BBR wallet was a simple one click to setup

Right now, BBR just works- one click setup. It syncs faster than XMR. The interface is not in wireframe or mockup stage, it's out now and perfectly intuitive  It improves upon the anonymity of CN

It has inbuilt capability to reduce the size of the blockchain by 30-70% BBR features aliases, so you can send money to your friend tony by typing  @tony and clicking send , just like twitter messages. Meanwhile with XMR you are forced to copy and paste long sequences of numbers. BBR has completely open source GPU miners, that don't hold you to ransom by stealing hashpower or forcing a donation to the dev like with XMR.

BBR has got a much more attractive emission curve that actually had a bit of foresight. XMR was cloned verbatim without much thought it seems. greedy miners will love it though.. BBR has more sensible block times. with BBR there is more chance for ecosystem to mature to a level where a larger pool of participants can gain rewards, XMR will be 50% mined in a year, which has been a death sentence for other coins.  BBR will require less daily BTC inflow to maintain the current price, the list goes on.

Monero is praised as the 'only contender in the risk for global liquidity market' or some shit, claimed as the next litecoin, pumped all day long by rpietila and his band of merry men. Jumping on the trollbox is a harrowing experience because you get accosted by guys who ask if they can just take 2 minutes of your time to tell you about monero almost instantly. We're seeing 1000x price increase predictions for XMR. Not going to happen of course but it sounds good, and that's what matter- gives a target and a bit of hope. Who would want to miss out on 1000x gains? no-one so join the train! Meanwhile BBR is ranking barely above CleanWaterCoin, below applecoin, guldencoin, zccoin etc and constantly hemorrhaging. What a Sorry state of affairs. I know which one I see more upwards potential in

XMR proponents and shills will come here and spout the same story 'we are not taking part in a race' we're doing things slowly and gradually. Tortoise and the hare style. They make these insinuations BBR has rushed and that'll cost them the race that they are already losing for completely different reasons

If you haven't actually used the two, go and use them both side by side. BBR just works well, now. Perfectly decent user experience. I know I come across here like a massive BBR shill but it just boggles my mind to see the disparity in valuation. BBR is almost 5% of the price of XMR. you can literally nearly by 20BBR for every 1 XMR. The fundamentals are not in place to support that fuckery.

Looks like a reasonable enough post to me, but I can only evaluate some of the arguments made... the GUI aspect for example looks plausible to me, but I don't know what's supposed to be better about the BBR emission curve, for example.

So, any comments on the other points? Any stringent reason why I shouldn't shift part of my XMR holdings into BBR as a hedge?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Looks like a reasonable enough post to me, but I can only evaluate some of the arguments made... the GUI aspect for example looks plausible to me, but I don't know what's supposed to be better about the BBR emission curve, for example.

So, any comments on the other points? Any stringent reason why I shouldn't shift part of my XMR holdings into BBR as a hedge?

Replied to you in that thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=751095.msg8482531#msg8482531

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 10:33:01 AM

Replied to you in that thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=751095.msg8482531#msg8482531

Will respond there as well. Good answers, btw.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 11:27:15 AM

BLABLABLA

Are you gonna post this in every topic which is relevant to XMR? Please, this is just sad..

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 11:33:23 AM

Perhaps a self-moderated topic is the way to go next time.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:21:25 PM

Maybe you can make a new speculation thread and we let the moderator close this one? To much trolling going on here..

Low volume today worries me a bit, maybe it's just the calm before the storm  Cheesy

It might be good signal, volume is usually low before triangle breakout  Wink I am betting we are breaking upwards.
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 12:26:36 PM

Perhaps, but then we might be accused of censorship. Also I believe you already have a dedicated and moderated Monero speculation economics thread (which currently serves a similar purpose), I guess the good thing about mine is that it draws in the low level troll talk and hopefully leaves yours to be the place for more serious talk.

Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: