Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:56:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation  (Read 113272 times)
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:42:07 AM

Michigan Colocation 's temp.s have been stable for me but after you mentioned about their temps, I looked back at my stats and it seems their ambient temps have slowly risen.

My SP10 is currently:
Temp Front / Back T,B
    35 °C / 78,80 °C

Cheers,
QG

Thanks QG,

Here are my stats :

I have some on 38 °C, terrible Sad Anything else is just perfect with them: connection uptime, remote access, etc... Heat issue should have been fixed this week, but unfortunately, we have to wait another week or two Smiley Because of that, I have total hashrate lower for ~1TH/s.

Here is, what they told me first time I have asked them about their service:

Will let you know, when they fix the temps.

Cheers!
QuiveringGibbage (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 08:21:00 AM

woo high temps. 8 stacked in 1 spot would sure create a lot of heat.

i don't know what one a/c unit can do but at lease they are working on it.

@RoadStress; how much was the bill at the end of the month for your 19c hosting? They charged by the KWh right?

Cheers,
QG

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:49:41 AM

@RoadStress; how much was the bill at the end of the month for your 19c hosting? They charged by the KWh right?

It's a standard 90euros/KW (not kWh) which translates to 90*1.3KW=117 euros=160$ per month for SP10

psahx

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:54:32 AM

It's a standard 90euros/KW (not kWh) which translates to 90*1.3KW=117 euros=160$ per month for SP10

F**k me, for $80 a month I am losing ~1TH every second  Cry Maybe even more, with your nice 16 Co intake temp.

Angry Angry Angry

P.S. How much did you pay for setup? Did you send them mounting ears or cables?

Offtopic:
Code:
Temp Front / Back T,B
    16 °C / 59,65 °C
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:03:37 AM

F**k me, for $80 a month I am losing ~1TH every second  Cry Maybe even more, with your nice 16 Co intake temp.

Angry Angry Angry

P.S. How much did you pay for setup? Did you send them mounting ears or cables?

Offtopic:
Code:
Temp Front / Back T,B
    16 °C / 59,65 °C

The default installation fee is 150 euro, but I managed to get a better price for having more than 1 unit and with the SP30 units promise to be hosted with them too. I didn't send them mounting ears or cables.

psahx

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:33:05 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 01:26:06 AM by psahx

The default installation fee is 150 euro, but I managed to get a better price for having more than 1 unit and with the SP30 units promise to be hosted with them too. I didn't send them mounting ears or cables.

Next time, I am gonna host my miners with them, for sure...

Meanwhile, the temperature situation is getting worse and worse. Is it safe at all?!?!?!?

DevonMiner

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:41:23 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2014, 07:55:55 PM by DevonMiner

Meanwhile, the temperature situation is getting worse and worse. Is it safe at all?!?!?!?

You should be OK, I've seen mine run at up to 41 degrees intake on the odd occasion, but of course the hash rate lowers ... that's why they are on their way to Iceland for a nice cold home.

I can't remember the cut-off point, but Sponds have built in an auto shutdown into the system, so you shouldn't damage the miner if it gets too warm.

EDIT: Think I read somewhere that it shuts down for a specific period of time and then tries to mine again ... if it's not happy it tries again later.
psahx

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:53:33 PM

You should be OK, I've seen mine run at up to 41 degrees intake on the odd occasion, but of course the hash rate lowers ... that's why they are on their way to Iceland for a nice cold home.

I can't remember the cut-off point, but Sponds have built in an auto shutdown into the system, so you shouldn't damage the miner if it gets too warm.

I have noticed, that one of ASIC chips is DEAD already. 1535 to go  Angry

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:18:47 AM

I have noticed, that one of ASIC chips is DEAD already. 1535 to go  Angry

You should lower the speed of the miner imo. 40 degrees is crazy, but yes there is a thermal shutdown(can't remember the value).

psahx

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 05:20:09 AM

You should lower the speed of the miner imo. 40 degrees is crazy, but yes there is a thermal shutdown(can't remember the value).

No comment. I do not know what to do. The only thing remains for me to wait and hope, that Michigan Colocation will have their additional chiller installed soon. But from my recent conversation with them, it looks like about 2 weeks or even more wait time Sad Hopefully the weather will help...
Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:16:31 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2014, 12:32:11 PM by Collider

No comment. I do not know what to do. The only thing remains for me to wait and hope, that Michigan Colocation will have their additional chiller installed soon. But from my recent conversation with them, it looks like about 2 weeks or even more wait time Sad Hopefully the weather will help...
Well, around 40°C seems like a violation of any normal DC cold aisle temperature....

It truly seems less than professional, I dont know any DC that would allow cold aisle temperatures above 30°C.
(which would be the maximum temperature according to TOS, and should never be reached)

This shows that HVAC engineering isn´t trivial at all, and professionally equipped facilites (rightfully) charge more for these services.

I have been very pleased with Advanias´services so far, and my unit hasn´t reached more than 22°C, while intake temperature is usually between 18°C and 20°C (in summer!).

While the upcoming sp30s should be a little less temperature sensitive (increased airflow per W / less leakage at higher chip temperatures), cooler units should again guarantee maximum performance.
MichColo

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 08:59:16 PM

All,

Just wanted to touch base on what's currently happening right now with our data center temps.
We had an AC unit that has been "problematic", fail this weekend, and with some warmer temps, obviously we're seeing the blunt of it.
A contractor is currently working on the failed unit and expects to have that back up tomorrow.

We've also got an emergency AC unit that we've rented, that is currently being installed, to help alleviate the temps that you're seeing.
This is currently being done as I type this as well.

Next week, we've got the 1st of 2 new Liebert A/C units being installed, and expect the work on a 2nd to follow shortly after.

psahx

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:02:44 PM

All,

Just wanted to touch base on what's currently happening right now with our data center temps.
We had an AC unit that has been "problematic", fail this weekend, and with some warmer temps, obviously we're seeing the blunt of it.
A contractor is currently working on the failed unit and expects to have that back up tomorrow.

We've also got an emergency AC unit that we've rented, that is currently being installed, to help alleviate the temps that you're seeing.
This is currently being done as I type this as well.

Next week, we've got the 1st of 2 new Liebert A/C units being installed, and expect the work on a 2nd to follow shortly after.

Nice, thank you!
DevonMiner

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:24:03 PM

Doesn't seem too professional to me, MichColo should have had redundancy and back-up plans.

If your dead ASICS don't come back to life after a cool down in temps ... they cost you.

MichColo

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:44:52 PM

Doesn't seem too professional to me, MichColo should have had redundancy and back-up plans.

If your dead ASICS don't come back to life after a cool down in temps ... they cost you.

While I appreciate your opinion, you're well off base.
We've been in the data center business for years. We're not a "fly-by-night mining center".

Unfortunately, we had some units fail and in a worst case scenario, our redundant unit also failed.
As mentioned, we've been in the process of bringing a new unit online, which was a planned upgrade. These unit problems escalated the install of one of two, and had us bring in an emergency AC rental to help overall.

DevonMiner

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:00:22 PM

We've been in the data center business for years. We're not a "fly-by-night mining center".

Unfortunately, we had some units fail and in a worst case scenario, our redundant unit also failed.
As mentioned, we've been in the process of bringing a new unit online, which was a planned upgrade. These unit problems escalated the install of one of two, and had us bring in an emergency AC rental to help overall.

You may have been in the business for years ... which actually makes the current situation worse with your reply.

>> Unfortunately, we had some units fail and in a worst case scenario, our redundant unit also failed.

So, you didn't have proper pre-planning in place for worst case scenario then. Not meaning to shoot you, but if some units fail  ... and at the same time the redundant unit 'also' fails ... there is no robust plan in place.

MichColo

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:20:19 PM

You may have been in the business for years ... which actually makes the current situation worse with your reply.

>> Unfortunately, we had some units fail and in a worst case scenario, our redundant unit also failed.

So, you didn't have proper pre-planning in place for worst case scenario then. Not meaning to shoot you, but if some units fail  ... and at the same time the redundant unit 'also' fails ... there is no robust plan in place.

I don't think you're understanding the current situation. You're basing your opinion on partial information you're getting through an internet forum.

Unit failed.
Redundant unit kicked in to take up some of the load.
Plan for worst case scenario: Bring in emergency air unit. Bring in emergency contractors to repair failed units.
Still have other units working to keep temps from hitting 150 degrees.

We've got multiple overhead units in a 25k+ sq foot data center. We run additional units to ease the workload of each individual unit. When one fails, they all work harder. When 2 fail, they work VERY hard and sometimes, depending on the heat you're experiencing, it's extremely hard to overcome those losses.

It's quite easy to sit back and play Armchair Data Center Operator. You can conjure up whatever you would like to, the fact is, as I mentioned, this was all worst case scenario or better put, a "perfect storm".
We put emergency AC units into play right away, called in emergency mechanics to fix damaged units and moved up project dates on additional unit installs.

Serious question, not a troll...
Out of curiosity, have you ever been in a data center?
Have you ever been in a data center that has 100 or more mining machines running at the same time?
DevonMiner

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:58:53 PM

I don't think you're understanding the current situation. You're basing your opinion on partial information you're getting through an internet forum.

Partial? I can only go by what you have written on this forum.

"It's quite easy to sit back and play Armchair Data Center Operator" ... now that I don't do ... I only comment on things people experience & what I have experienced myself.

"perfect storm" ... planning sorts that one.

>> Out of curiosity, have you ever been in a data center?
>> Have you ever been in a data center that has 100 or more mining machines running at the same time?

No .. but should I? How would that help? If I said yes ... would that make my any reply diffrent? No ... When I choose a hosting solution it is based on cost/reliability/feedback/TEMPS/SLA and an averaged view from others in the forum community who have used them.

If possible can you post a copy of your SLA please?

MichColo

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:23:55 PM

First off, I want to be clear that my responses here are not intended as combative, i'm just addressing the comments made. I don't want you, or anyone else to think im "attacking" or trying to deviate from the situation.

Partial? I can only go by what you have written on this forum.

Right, that's exactly my point. For you to call us unprofessional, or judge our "backup plan" without even knowing what our "backup plan" is, is forming an opinion regarding a situation that you don't have a fair, full group of facts to form said opinion.

"It's quite easy to sit back and play Armchair Data Center Operator" ... now that I don't do ... I only comment on things people experience & what I have experienced myself.

Technically, that's exactly what you're doing. It's quite easy to play the role of a keyboard jockey and judge something that you don't know about. (I say "you don't know about" based off the fact that you don't know our cooling, our redundancy situation, or our "backup plans")...

"perfect storm" ... planning sorts that one.

Again. Based off the fact that you don't know what we have in the data center for cooling, or how it's set up, or what our redundancy is, you can't judge what the "perfect storm" is, or how you would plan. There's only so far your department of redundancy department can go. We unfortunately found out.

>> Out of curiosity, have you ever been in a data center?
>> Have you ever been in a data center that has 100 or more mining machines running at the same time?

No .. but should I? How would that help? If I said yes ... would that make my any reply diffrent? No ... When I choose a hosting solution it is based on cost/reliability/feedback/TEMPS/SLA and an averaged view from others in the forum community who have used them.

Would it make the reply different? Possibly. I don't know how you plan to plan, or what your knowledge of data center inner workings are.
I can only tell you this.. Mining machines break out unGodly heat. There's a reason all data centers aren't taking machines in.
IMO (and the reason I asked) if you have been down an aisle with multiple mining machines, you would know how fast the temperatures rise and once they have risen, that it isn't as easy as "flipping a switch" to bring them back to normal.
My reason for asking was, if you had been in a data center, versus a data center with a mining machine section, you get a better grasp on what the area is like.

Our stats from the past have been posted. We run a very cool, climate controlled data center, and as mentioned, that was one of the reasons people have gone with us.
Did we plan on losing AC units? Of course not.
Did we try to combat the rising temps when we had failures? Of course.
Could we plan on losing multiple units all at once? Yes, and we did. It's something that happens on an extremely rare basis, something that is considered the worst case scenario, and we executed the plan based off the threat of losing multiple units.
Did we bring in an emergency air unit to execute an emergency plan? Yes.

You stated that we didn't have a plan in place, when the fact is, we did, we executed, we are living in it right now.
psahx

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 03:07:43 AM

Hope the ASICs are used to Middle East high temps, and will survive until we got the temps fixed Smiley They are tough Israeli ASICs, I believe they are capable to resist even more extreme Smiley

Regarding costs, this temps already cost me. My units are mining ~100 GH/s below my expectations (worse scenario). After fixing the temps, I will be able to figure out, how much hash power I have lost, due to several days of extreme heat.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: