Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:45:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation  (Read 113272 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:13:39 AM

You should be OK, I've seen mine run at up to 41 degrees intake on the odd occasion, but of course the hash rate lowers ... that's why they are on their way to Iceland for a nice cold home.

I can't remember the cut-off point, but Sponds have built in an auto shutdown into the system, so you shouldn't damage the miner if it gets too warm.

I have noticed, that one of ASIC chips is DEAD already. 1535 to go  Angry

Interesting. I presume the line with X's is the chip?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:53:31 AM

To be honest, most servers and some miners (probably including the sp10) can handle high temperatures, it is variance in temperatures that puts much more stress on a unit.

You will typically see failure of chips / units right after bigger temperature spikes (or when they come down again), but you should be fine afterwards.

Don´t worry too much about 1 broken asic on a 192 chip unit...
I own one sp10 where 9 chips were disconnected from the very first day, and I am still getting my 1.5TH on it.
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:03:17 AM

Don´t worry too much about 1 broken asic on a 192 chip unit...
I own one sp10 where 9 chips were disconnected from the very first day, and I am still getting my 1.5TH on it.

Thanks Smiley Wish I could do 1.5 TH/s too. Unfortunately, I am not able to achieve that for obvious reasons.

Interesting. I presume the line with X's is the chip?

Yes. There are 192 Hammer ASIC chips in one SP10. They are marked from 0-191.
psahx

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:00:50 PM

Temps are back to 35 Co! I can see, that this is being taken care of. Hopefully will have lower figures, after you will be done with ACs.

Thanks MichColo.

QuiveringGibbage (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 10:44:18 AM

Temps are back to 35 Co! I can see, that this is being taken care of. Hopefully will have lower figures, after you will be done with ACs.

Thanks MichColo.

https://i.imgur.com/jn2igvv.jpg
I concur:

Temp Front / Back T,B
    32 °C / 74,76 °C

Cheers,
QG

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink
psahx

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:22:32 AM

Even better at night  Grin Grin Grin

Digital Fortress

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 11:23:44 PM

Howdy Forum,
I thought I would introduce ourselves as Seattle Data Center owners. We currently have over 2MW of miners in place and have been deploying a lot of individual machines recently. That said, we have learned a lot and we're happy to share our knowledge from a data center facility standpoint.

•   Market Knowledge http://dfcolo.com/bitcoin_terraminer_hosting/
o   2 MW of Bitcoin Mining operations currently under management in our datacenters.
o   With significant time and resources  spent learning Bitcoin mining operations  we have become well versed in this segment of our industry. We know how to anticipate and respond to your requirements based on extensive hands on experience in this industry.
o   Currently have hundreds of Spnondoolie 10’s plus many Antminers, Terraminers, KnC boxes and custom deployments in service.
o   Can, manage, deploy setup machines plus configure private VPNs, firewalls and DDoS protection as needed.
•   Infrastructure Seattle–
o   2N 1.5MW Caterpillar diesel generators with 3 days of fuel on site
o   N+1 Cooling on pressurized 24” raised floor
o   VESDA smoke detection and ECARO fire suppression
o   24x7 onsite staff, support and remote hands
o   Low latency redundant fiber backbone
o   Custom realtime RFID temperature and humidity monitoring  
o   True Green State, with Green Hydro Electric power

•   Culture –
o   Profitable and well-funded managing over 70,000 sq. ft.
o   Long history in this community and are building a company positioned for ongoing growth and longevity.
Video Tour http://dfcolo.com/seattle-data-center-video/
Call Kevin 877-720-0483 - 206-681-9732 info@dfcolo.com
Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 12:08:05 AM

Howdy Forum,
I thought I would introduce ourselves as Seattle Data Center owners. We currently have over 2MW of miners in place and have been deploying a lot of individual machines recently. That said, we have learned a lot and we're happy to share our knowledge from a data center facility standpoint.

o   2 MW of Bitcoin Mining operations currently under management in our datacenters.
o   With significant time and resources  spent learning Bitcoin mining operations  we have become well versed in this segment of our industry. We know how to anticipate and respond to your requirements based on extensive hands on experience in this industry.
o   Currently have hundreds of Spnondoolie 10’s plus many Antminers, Terraminers, KnC boxes and custom deployments in service.
o   Can, manage, deploy setup machines plus configure private VPNs, firewalls and DDoS protection as needed.

•   Culture –
o   Long history in this community and are building a company positioned for ongoing growth and longevity.

I confirm that our customers has hundreds of SP10 hosted by Digital Fortress.

Guy

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
jtoomim

Activity: 818
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 12:28:00 AM

Hi guys, quick check-in. We're still building the datacenter in central WA for mining. However, we are no longer working with the ASICSPACE crew, so we'll be using a different name. Policies and prices will remain largely the same, with rates around $70 to $90/kW/month.

Current progress: We our first warehouse leased in Grant County with about 1 MW of available power at the service entrance. Electrical work has begun. At this moment, there are 3 guys from one of the local electrical contracting companies putting in conduit for one of our 500 KVA feeders. (I'll probably release the name of the contracting company later so you guys can call and verify our existence and capacity, but I first need to brief them on what information they can and can't divulge.)

We've had a few delays, so we're not nearly as far along as I wanted to be at this point, but I left enough buffer time in the schedule that I still think we'll be ready to accept customers in September, and possibly even a few in August. It will be tight, though.

More information will follow as we get closer to coming online.

Hosting bitcoin miners for $65 to $80/kW/month on clean, cheap hydro power.
http://Toom.im
Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 05:55:22 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 06:32:42 AM by Collider

@Digital Fortress

What is the guaranteed / typical cold aisles temperature at digital fortress?

You are also more on the pricy side (charging at least 20.8 cents / kWh), did you consider building out mining capacity without some of the costly redundancies?

I am sure there are some more ways to optimise your pricing, as DCs in WA get 3-4ct/kWh electricity, some of these cost savings can surely be passed on to the customers.

Spondoolies is able to quote 16cts /kWh (115$/kW) in a WA facility (starting from a 2.7kW contract), I am wondering why you are quoting 20% more on a 10kW contract.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:40:01 PM

@All DCs: You need to realize that bitcoin mining doesn't need all the fancy and expensive backup stuff. The diesel generator isn't needed if it brings costs down. You need to see how much will the power be down in 1 year. We miners are ok with 1-2-3% of having the power down. I am sure that all electric problem can be fixed in a matter of hours/days and they don't occur frequently.

Bitcoin mining needs DCs that are like a chicken farm. Minimum investment that provides power and cold air. That's it!

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 03:02:21 PM

@Digital Fortress

... as DCs in WA get 3-4ct/kWh electricity... Spondoolies is able to quote 16cts /kWh (115$/kW) in a WA facility (starting from a 2.7kW contract), I am wondering why you are quoting 20% more on a 10kW contract.

Power costs in Seattle, where DF is based, are around $0.068/kWh. The sub-$0.04 stuff is all in central WA, where Titan (Spondoolies's contracted datacenter) and I are. My rates in Grant should be about $0.023/kWh once I get above 200 kW load. Titan's are probably similar. That's probably much of why DF is pricier than Titan.

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

@All DCs: You need to realize that bitcoin mining doesn't need all the fancy and expensive backup stuff. The diesel generator isn't needed if it brings costs down. You need to see how much will the power be down in 1 year. We miners are ok with 1-2-3% of having the power down. I am sure that all electric problem can be fixed in a matter of hours/days and they don't occur frequently.

Bitcoin mining needs DCs that are like a chicken farm. Minimum investment that provides power and cold air. That's it!

Roadstress, that's basically what we're doing. We're designing our system from the ground up with bitcoin mining (and mostly SP30s, since that's what Mike and I bought) in mind. No generator, no UPS, very low PUE, enough cooling for extremely high density (50+ kW/rack), and designed to be run near full capacity.

The PUDs around here all are pretty good in terms of power reliability. Chelan County PUD informally cited a figure of around 99.5% for power uptime, and I think that Grant and Douglas are similar. A diesel generator might get you 0.4% extra, and UPS another 0.09%. Diesel generators cost a lot more than 0.4% of the price of a bitcoin miner per kW, and battery backup is even worse.

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 04:09:41 PM

Roadstress, that's basically what we're doing. We're designing our system from the ground up with bitcoin mining (and mostly SP30s, since that's what Mike and I bought) in mind. No generator, no UPS, very low PUE, enough cooling for extremely high density (50+ kW/rack), and designed to be run near full capacity.

The PUDs around here all are pretty good in terms of power reliability. Chelan County PUD informally cited a figure of around 99.5% for power uptime, and I think that Grant and Douglas are similar. A diesel generator might get you 0.4% extra, and UPS another 0.09%. Diesel generators cost a lot more than 0.4% of the price of a bitcoin miner per kW, and battery backup is even worse.

I'm more than ok with 99.5% uptime. No need for diesel and UPS. Better focus on cheap and effective cooling.

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 04:51:57 PM

I'm more than ok with 99.5% uptime. No need for diesel and UPS. Better focus on cheap and effective cooling.

Yeah, me too. Overall uptime will be less than that, obviously, because there's also internet connectivity downtime, maintenance/system upgrade downtime, cooling downtime, and operator error downtime to consider, but I think we can keep those four well under 0.5% total.

On the flip side, miners often experience additional downtime due to problems with the miner or problems with the pool. I've got a few ideas for things we can do to reduce those issues with local automated monitoring and rapid responses with staff trained for bitcoin miners. I'll give more details after we've built it.

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3909

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:33:03 PM

Howdy Forum,

•   Culture –

I confirm that our customers has hundreds of SP10 hosted by Digital Fortress.

Guy

Thanks and welcome to BTCTalk. I think that it is important to quote the length of your contracts (or whether you require a contract) and the price per kw before potential discounts. People are quoting 20.8c-i don't know if this is accurate.
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:40:57 PM

@Digital Fortress

... as DCs in WA get 3-4ct/kWh electricity... Spondoolies is able to quote 16cts /kWh (115$/kW) in a WA facility (starting from a 2.7kW contract), I am wondering why you are quoting 20% more on a 10kW contract.

Power costs in Seattle, where DF is based, are around $0.068/kWh. The sub-$0.04 stuff is all in central WA, where Titan (Spondoolies's contracted datacenter) and I are. My rates in Grant should be about $0.023/kWh once I get above 200 kW load. Titan's are probably similar. That's probably much of why DF is pricier than Titan.

It seems that current WA datacenters are not passing almost any savings in electricity rates to consumers as the price in Michigan and WA are essentially the same despite electricity being 1/3-1/4 in central WA. Just a comment.
jtoomim

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 08:56:46 PM

It seems that current WA datacenters are not passing almost any savings in electricity rates to consumers as the price in Michigan and WA are essentially the same despite electricity being 1/3-1/4 in central WA. Just a comment.

Electricity usage is a small portion of the total costs of running a traditional tier 3 (>= 99.982% uptime) datacenter. This is reflected in their rates. They charge about 2-8 cents for electricity, and 12-18 cents for everything else.

Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:32:23 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 10:44:32 PM by Biodom

Electricity usage is a small portion of the total costs of running a traditional tier 3 (>= 99.982% uptime) datacenter. This is reflected in their rates. They charge about 2-8 cents for electricity, and 12-18 cents for everything else.

Then, why all this talk about hosting miners in WA. Any state, except NY and CA would do. It is either important or non-important, but it cannot be important enough for the hosting company (to be in WA) and non-important for customers. It does not make sense. Perhaps, I am pushing this point too much, but otherwise the whole thing does not work. Regarding the uptime: some people are running miners in their garages with almost the same success. All you need is a good proper ventilation with some air conditioning (as long as the temperatures stay below 82oF or so), disconnect detection (no connection) and periodic reboot (usually not the miners themselves, but the software)-and you are golden.
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:14:50 PM

Then, why all this talk about hosting miners in WA. Any state, except NY and CA would do. It is either important or non-important, but it cannot be important enough for the hosting company (to be in WA) and non-important for customers. It does not make sense. Perhaps, I am pushing this point too much, but otherwise the whole thing does not work. Regarding the uptime: some people are running miners in their garages with almost the same success. All you need is a good proper ventilation with some air conditioning (as long as the temperatures stay below 82oF or so), disconnect detection (no connection) and periodic reboot (usually not the miners themselves, but the software)-and you are golden.

Exactly. Miners just need the cheapest $/kW as possible. They can ignore the rest.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: