Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation  (Read 113272 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 10, 2014, 07:29:19 PM

GekkoHosting update:

ISP should be delivering interwebs to the shop tomorrow afternoon, so the cellular giblet that's been running without issue for a week now will be set back to failover. We're focusing on the move this week, but still expecting a few miners to show up and we'll try to get all hardware operating within 24 hours. After this week, service should be quicker. VPN access isn't available yet as we haven't set up the software yet because "we" are basically two guys that already worked collectively over 120 hours last week (that's just the M-F hours, weekends had more) trying to keep up with everything else that's been externally delayed or otherwise schedule-changed so we could keep this week free for the move.

We should also have a "hosting" page set up on our website, with a rate estimate calculator, and any inquiries can be directed to hosting@gekkoscience.com

There's also a first-draft "terms of service" document if anyone has any questions. http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/terms_of_service_v1.pdf

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jtoomim

Activity: 818
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 02:10:51 AM

Toom.im hosting update:

We're online. Our first customer's SP30s arrived two days ago. Our second customer's arrive tomorrow. Our 250V transformer is online. We have approximately 200 kW of unclaimed capacity available immediately.

Our cooling and hot air containment systems aren't completed yet, but we have enough of it online to keep temps around 24°C to 30°C. This should improve significantly over the next few weeks.

We have four SP30s and one SP10 running so far. All of the SP30s are getting over 4.45 TH/s, and the SP10 is getting 1491 GH/s.

Hosting bitcoin miners for $65 to $80/kW/month on clean, cheap hydro power.
http://Toom.im
dumo

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:20:53 PM

We got 50+ units currently running. Who wants to host them?

What insurance do all these new companies have to protect the equipment in case they go under, run off with the equipment etc.?

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:59:58 PM

50+ units of what?

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dumo

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:34:28 PM

Spondoolies-Tech hardware.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:38:01 PM

Ah. I could take in about 5 SP30 or 10 SP10 but we have a 15kW-per-customer limit because we'd rather help out regular folks than high rollers that already get the breaks. Unless you want to go piecemeal with your hardware, I can't really do much for you.

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 04:18:29 PM

What insurance do all these new companies have to protect the equipment in case they go under, run off with the equipment etc.?

50 SP30s or SP10s? We could host them all, in either case. Delivery date?

We (Toom.im) don't have insurance yet, but we'll get it soon. I intend to get liability insurance, plus insurance against theft or fire. I've been more focused on getting the datacenter to work than on the business side of things so far. By the way, were you asking literally about insurance, or more generally about assurance?

We're not likely to go bankrupt, as we're backed with a pretty sizeable chunk of change (we may be able to provide you proof of this if you want). We are also unlikely to take your equipment and run, since we're heavily invested into keeping this datacenter running (we have 67 SP30s of our own coming), and we have our names and identities published with respect to this operation. If you can think of any other assurances you'd want from us, name them, and we can try to provide them.

I'll give you (or anyone else) a tour of my DC via Skype (id: jtoomim), Facetime (jtoomim@jtoomim.org).

dumo

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 05:33:32 PM

Insurance. The assurances and tours will be for the insurance company's benefit.

Our hardware consists mostly of SP10 with a handful of 30's. Movement of most within 14 days.

Why not have someone establish a relationship now with an insurance company where you are, detail what is what. Once established even if it is necessary a foreign entity like us would consider taking out our own policy with them covering our concerns in your operation provided the rates are reasonable. You would need to establish this; detail what mining is and everything related to it and hosting. Then you could introduce us so that we do not have to explain everything to them including who you are and what it is all about, and review what exactly it is that they could offer and for how much.
flyonwall

Activity: 250
Merit: 100

RockStable Token Inc

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 05:57:33 PM

We are covered by a policy from Liberty Mutual. I can send you email with a scan of the insurance policy, just PM me.

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 06:05:31 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 06:41:01 PM by jtoomim

Insurance. The assurances and tours will be for the insurance company's benefit.

Our hardware consists mostly of SP10 with a handful of 30's. Movement of most within 14 days.

Why not have someone establish a relationship now with an insurance company where you are, detail what is what. Once established even if it is necessary a foreign entity like us would consider taking out our own policy with them covering our concerns in your operation provided the rates are reasonable. You would need to establish this; detail what mining is and everything related to it and hosting. Then you could introduce us so that we do not have to explain everything to them including who you are and what it is all about, and review what exactly it is that they could offer and for how much.

It's mostly a matter of me having way too many other things to do and the employees of mine who don't have too many things to do not knowing how to explain things in order to placate the flighty insurers. Part of it also is the fact that we only filed our LLC paperwork last week. Also, most of the insurance companies we've talked to simply refuse to insure datacenters, due to the enormous liabilities involved with data loss. The rest are taking their sweet time getting back to us. It's been a constant struggle to convince them that we don't have any data to lose, and we're just trying to insure the hardware. Trying to explain what bitcoin mining to insurance agencies would be ever so much more difficult. We'll do it soon, but this isn't something that we can accomplish in an hour or two.

We can handle your machines now. Do you have mounting brackets for the SP10s, or will we need to order some more? We only have 9 in stock right now.

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 06:43:38 PM

By the way, flyonwall, I notice your webpage lists SP30 as being 2.64 kW for 4.5 TH/s. My experience is that they use closer to 3.0 or 2.9 kW. You may want to update your website.

Performance of the SP30s we had in our DC yesterday:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.msg8341428#msg8341428

flyonwall

RockStable Token Inc

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 07:25:10 PM

It's mostly a matter of me having way too many other things to do and the employees of mine who don't have too many things to do not knowing how to explain things in order to placate the flighty insurers. Part of it also is the fact that we only filed our LLC paperwork last week. Also, most of the insurance companies we've talked to simply refuse to insure datacenters, due to the enormous liabilities involved with data loss. The rest are taking their sweet time getting back to us. It's been a constant struggle to convince them that we don't have any data to lose, and we're just trying to insure the hardware. Trying to explain what bitcoin mining to insurance agencies would be ever so much more difficult. We'll do it soon, but this isn't something that we can accomplish in an hour or two.

We can handle your machines now. Do you have mounting brackets for the SP10s, or will we need to order some more? We only have 9 in stock right now.

You need to talk to a local insurance agent. We called several, until we found somebody who spent the time and took a look at our setup. It took him sometime also to find an insurance company willing to do it. Liberty Mutual is it.

jtoomim

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 08:04:06 PM

You need to talk to a local insurance agent. We called several, until we found somebody who spent the time and took a look at our setup. It took him sometime also to find an insurance company willing to do it. Liberty Mutual is it.

Thanks. Would you be willing to give me the name of your insurance agent via PM? We're probably about 1.5 hours away from him, and could pay him travel costs. If you prefer to keep that info private, that's fine too.

Brian_AdvaniaThor

Activity: 11
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

Good question, although I would suggest that you might want to look at taking out your own insurance if these scenarios worry you - their insurance may or may not cover you for your equipment, and you may have real problems getting your equipment past angry landlords if they have gone under owning money.

We'd also be very interested in hosting your units, we've been around in the IT services industry for decades and running data centres for many years with lots of customers from individually owned bitcoin miners through to large financial institutions. We charge Euro90/kW/month.
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 10:26:34 PM

Our facility is covered under general liability / disasters, but we require our clients to get their own insurance if they would like to cover their machines anything more than that.

Our 2nd facility was just completed, looks like we will have room for about 100 Sp30s to start.
jtoomim

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 11:57:34 PM

and you may have real problems getting your equipment past angry landlords if they have gone under owning money.

Indeed, this happened to me. I was hosting one SP10 and one Cointerra with a company in Oregon, and they ran into financial difficulties and couldn't pay their landlord. After they defaulted on rent and electricity, their landlord locked them out of their warehouse, and wouldn't allow them to return my equipment to me. I called the landlord directly, but he couldn't legally allow me access to their space either. I ended up paying them a few hundred dollars over what I owed them to help them get me my machines back. It was practically extortion. Not fun.

They had a good insurance policy. I don't think it covered bankruptcy due to mismanagement. I guess I forgot to ask.

(For what it's worth, we paid our landlords 6 months' rent in advance.)

flyonwall

RockStable Token Inc

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:44:52 AM

jtoomim, I just PMd you about the insurance agency.

flyonwall

RockStable Token Inc

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 05:56:12 AM

Good question, although I would suggest that you might want to look at taking out your own insurance if these scenarios worry you - their insurance may or may not cover you for your equipment, and you may have real problems getting your equipment past angry landlords if they have gone under owning money.

We'd also be very interested in hosting your units, we've been around in the IT services industry for decades and running data centres for many years with lots of customers from individually owned bitcoin miners through to large financial institutions. We charge Euro90/kW/month.

Yes, the kind of insurance coverage that the hosting company can buy would not protect the miner owner in case the hosting company went bankrupt or "runs off with the equipment". You just have to trust the hosting company. We just got started last March, and so like most everybody else here we don't have much track record. Centerus Inc has been in existence as a corporation in Washington since 2009. I am not secretive about who I am. My name is Carlos C Tapang, and you can search for my name (I hope you find only good things about me Smiley).

Collider

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 07:41:14 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 08:50:50 AM by Collider

Toom.im bros hosting experience update.

As previously stated I sent some sp30s to jtoomim´s hosting facility after getting a stellar video tour and answers to any questions I could think of regarding hosting, power and cooling.

This is a first update with impressions of the service so far, and I must say I am very impressed.

Shipping from spondoolies to the hosting facility took only 2 days, the units left Israel on Tuesday and arrived Thursday 11:30am. (Thanks go out to fedex here)

Within 15 minutes of delivery, my units were set up and ready to hash, I even got another short video of my units sitting in the rack.

I was able to get access to the webUI, although they would have gladly set up the unit via email/skype/facetime provided information. (I guess that should cover everyone Wink )

The units perform well at the advertised 4.5TH.
The built-in temperature sensor reported 25°C on a hot day (without the actual cooling systems online) and 21°C on a normal day (with 1/14th of the evaporative coolers running).
From experience I can say that spondoolies temperature sensors typically report ~3°C higher than what the actual intake temperature is, and this was confirmed via thermal camera. (although 25°C is nothing to worry about)

I am therefore quite certain that temperatures should not exceed 25°C on a hot Washington day and with winter approaching, airflow should be more than sufficient to cool your units to even lower temperatures.

I am happy to say that jtoomim is very knowledgeable about sp30s and sp10s, aswell as bitcoin mining in general, and offered tips on how to further improve unit stability and performance.

Finally, I am very pleased with the pricing for this service, which to my knowledge is industry-leading (feel free to correct me though), and certainly lower than what spondoolies themselves offer
(which in fairness is not meant to be a long-term solution, and is provided at-cost).

I am quite certain jtoomim is still offering video tours of his hosting site for anyone interested in hosting (but please don´t only use it as an excuse to see a pile of hashing sp30s Wink, although it is a great sight).

Guy Corem
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2014, 08:13:44 AM

Toom.im bros hosting experience update.

As previously stated I sent some sp30s to jtoomim´s hosting facility after getting a stellar video tour and answers to any questions I could think of regarding hosting, power and cooling.

This is a first update with impression of the service so far, and I must say I am very impressed.

Shipping from spondoolies to the hosting facility took only 2 days, the units left Israel on Tuesday and arrived Thursday 11:30am. (Thanks go out to fedex here)

Within 15 minutes of delivery, my units were set up and ready to hash, I even got another short video of my units sitting in the rack.

I was able to get access to the webUI, although they would have gladly set up the unit via email/skype/facetime provided information. (I guess that should cover everyone Wink )

The units perform well at the advertised 4.5TH.
The built-in temperature sensor reported 25°C on a hot day (without the actual cooling systems online) and 21°C on a normal day (with 1/14th of the evaporative coolers running).
From experience I can say that spodoolies temperature sensors typically report ~3°C higher than what the actual intake temperature is, and this was confirmed via thermal camera. (although 25°C is nothing to worry about)

I am therefore quite certain that temperatures should not exceed 25°C on a hot Washington day and with winter approaching, airflow should be more than sufficient to cool your units to even lower temperatures.

I am pleased to say that jtoomim is very knowledgeable about sp30s and sp10s, aswell as bitcoin mining in general, and offered tips on how to further improve unit stability and performance.

Finally, I am very pleased with the pricing for this service, which to my knowledge is industry-leading (feel free to correct me though), and certainly lower than what spondoolies themselves offer
(which in fairness is not meant to be a long-term solution).

I am quite certain jtoomim is still offering video tours of his hosting site for anyone interested in hosting (but please don´t only use it as an excuse to see a pile of hashing sp30s Wink )

Very nice review. Got the video tour myself. I wish we had http://toom.im/ electricity prices ...

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: