Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:24:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a house with bitcoin  (Read 6237 times)
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:08:39 AM

Planning on buying a house in the UK with bitcoin when it goes to the moon in next price bubble.  Buying with bitcoin will mean avoiding tax vs cashing out bitcoin before purchase in UK im pretty sure?

Im imagining issues of:

1.) Estate agents will still assume bitcoin is retarded money :/

2.) Negotiating for a lowball price will be harder with bitcoin

3.) General lack of choice, we need ebay to accept bitcoin or like a bitpay for property

Any tips about how to go about the procedure, has anyone bought a property with bitcoin? (if UK great!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:53:16 AM

Buying with bitcoin will mean avoiding tax vs cashing out bitcoin before purchase in UK im pretty sure?

I am not specifically knowledgeable about UK tax law, but I would pretty much guarantee you that it doesn't necessarily have to be a cash sale to qualify as a capital gain. You would most likely owe on the difference between the fair market value of the house on the day of purchase versus the basis price of your Bitcoins.
cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:27:52 PM

Planning on buying a house in the UK with bitcoin when it goes to the moon in next price bubble.  Buying with bitcoin will mean avoiding tax vs cashing out bitcoin before purchase in UK im pretty sure?

Im imagining issues of:

1.) Estate agents will still assume bitcoin is retarded money :/

2.) Negotiating for a lowball price will be harder with bitcoin

3.) General lack of choice, we need ebay to accept bitcoin or like a bitpay for property

Any tips about how to go about the procedure, has anyone bought a property with bitcoin? (if UK great!)

I dont think using Bitcoin would let you avoid tax, they will use it to calculate the actual value in USD and still tax you.

Predatorian

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:34:37 PM

I'm pretty sure u can't avoid tax even if u use btc to buy a house.

BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:45:28 PM

ok then shit lol, thats kinda odd imo.  If my GBP raises in value + housing stays same price i dont get capital gains tax if i buy a house.

guess i might aswell cash it out before i buy, oh well.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:18:27 PM

They will always get their taxes. You can use BTC for small purchases and avoid taxation pretty easily but something like that with a big purchase with lots of public records can get you in trouble.

nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:25:21 PM

*Insert Bitcointrepeneur thought*

BitEstate: The Housing Market run fully in bitcoin! Come browse our houses today, and pay in bitcoin!

BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:29:19 PM

*Insert Bitcointrepeneur thought*

BitEstate: The Housing Market run fully in bitcoin! Come browse our houses today, and pay in bitcoin!

I like the idea, but that was before i understood tax.   Not sure now.  Should imagine the next few years will be the best time for that business. 

waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 05:50:22 PM

home sellers accepting bitcoin using bitpay/coinbase?
sounds crazy but i like it

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:38:54 AM

This won't really work in the United States (if you are trying to use BTC in association with any type of conventional or FHA type loan).   You would have to find a seller that is willing to accept all BTC, or you would have to convert your BTC to fiat, and pay all cash.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do not consider BTC to be liquid assets useable in correlation with loans.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:22:04 AM

Something i thought of is if the BTC was "won via gambling" and then you buy a house well thats non taxable in UK no?
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:30:55 AM

This won't really work in the United States (if you are trying to use BTC in association with any type of conventional or FHA type loan).   You would have to find a seller that is willing to accept all BTC, or you would have to convert your BTC to fiat, and pay all cash.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do not consider BTC to be liquid assets useable in correlation with loans.

Is there an official statement on this or just personal knowledge? This seems a bit odd considering the push towards making it a currency. And it is really liquid, so much as online-only bank accounts (HSBC comes to mind) are.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:49:39 AM

In fact there are real people accepting bitcoin for their villas/ hauses on bitpremier, most of them are really expensive but they accept bitcoin itself not need of bitpay or any other product like that.
omehenk

Activity: 278

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 08:04:09 AM

Its mebe not a good time to buy a house IN the UK ATM.

With or without bitc.  Wink

Or u like buying on the top off a bubble then go for it.   Tongue

H

BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:58:30 AM

H

Well yes it looks kinda bubble but im still waiting for the crash, looks more like it will stagnate for many many years?  the government doesnt want it to crash.  All i see is housing programs all over UK TV.  Whats going to cause the crash and when you think?  Also % wise how big a crash?  i remember max kieser tweeted a few months back to get ready for 50% house crash in UK in 2014 < this would be amazing.

My rent is like 600pcm, which i been paying for nearly 10 years now, fed up with it.  But im looking into living on a boat also Smiley
gr8n8

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:26:21 AM

real estate company in sydney i know that accepts payment with bitcoins, their website below

http://forsyth.com.au/Latest-News.php?postid=102
nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:51:04 AM

In fact there are real people accepting bitcoin for their villas/ hauses on bitpremier, most of them are really expensive but they accept bitcoin itself not need of bitpay or any other product like that.

The thing is what you already said... They are expensive. We need like 100-250k homes on a market. In doing so it will show that the average person can and is willing to sell their house for bitcoin and just not rich people.

Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:24:48 AM

To buy real estate, I think you have to register the property (it's in your own interest, at the Land Registry for England and Wales) and that act implies payment of taxes related to the transfer of real property (stamp duty of 4%?), no matter the mean of payment you used.
But do your home work.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:24:30 PM

I am not sure, but sometimes in my country if you want to hide some taxes you just sign in the contract that you sold or bought something very expensive for 1$ and that is Smiley
EricTyle

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 05:34:06 PM

H

Well yes it looks kinda bubble but im still waiting for the crash, looks more like it will stagnate for many many years?  the government doesnt want it to crash.  All i see is housing programs all over UK TV.  Whats going to cause the crash and when you think?  Also % wise how big a crash?  i remember max kieser tweeted a few months back to get ready for 50% house crash in UK in 2014 < this would be amazing.

My rent is like 600pcm, which i been paying for nearly 10 years now, fed up with it.  But im looking into living on a boat also Smiley

You don't want to live on a boat. Water leaves no legacy. You live by water, you die by water. She provides, and then she takes you.

Buy an island for like 50k-100k on the next bubble, pay some locals good money (still cheap money) to build you a nice open floor plan, and enjoy your newly built house on an island named Satoshi Island

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: