Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:10:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ZenMiner (unmoderated) service discussion thread  (Read 27915 times)
zenMiner_Eric

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:31:55 AM

Hi Eric,
   Is there anyway to change the clk speed on our devices via your service?

I fixed that problem I emailed you about, put the new img on and no probs

Not at this time, but we are including that feature soon. We've already got the basic functionality, just tweaking and refining it.

Glad to hear the image flash fixed your controller!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DarkKnight

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 06:10:57 PM

Just wondering, have you ever used any other Linux OS-based miner images (BAMT, PIMP, SMOS, etc?) - because if not, I can tell you, that each and every one of these images and many others, come pre-configured with the developer's pool info that's up and mining for them as soon as you power on.  It is up to you to ensure that you change it after the OS is launched, and you may be mining for the dev in the first few minutes until you make the change.  Now, I understand you did make your appropriate pool changes, and it would appear Zen is overwriting that info periodically, so that's REALLY ODD - no excuse for that.. but Eric's response seems genuine so I would say why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt?  If you completely don't trust them anymore then just use a different mining distro that's not cloud-based.  There are other Pi options for blades, you may want to check out Starminer to start, there is a 'gridseed-blade' profile.  If you are experienced with Linux just run cgminer on raspbian.

I am aware of what a default config is. This was something different as my pool information was actively being disabled and replaced after mining had commenced, even if I reentered the details directly into the client. Their cloud backed was jacking my controller remotely and making it mine for it's original owner. Being sold a new used Zenminer, in addition to being connected to a service that isn't fully developed, missing promised support for devices I had -- all of this led to what happened.

implementing measures that would prevent one device from accidentally (or intentionally) being activated to another account without support intervention and the deletion of all prior account provisions to that device.

I think this is good idea but I will caution you about some issues I have experienced working for a cable operator who "locked" cable modems in a similar fashion and has ended up with multiple issues where someone legitimately purchased a modem on ebay or other public sites only to have it refused to be provisioned because it was still mapped to another account.

as I understand your previous thread, you are mapping the mac address to the account.   This is going to bite you for in three ways in the future.

first, if your customer moves his SD card to another rPi, then the MAC address will change

same is true if they in the future use a wireless interface rather than the built in ETH interface

last, if someone decides to sell their rPi and it inadvertently gets picked up to run your software...well, you get the idea.

I would suggest you would be better off placing a user serial number in a config file so that it is mapped to the software and the user rather than using the hardware as your auth mechanism

it will save you, and your customers much grief in the future.

There needs to be some reasonable protection against customers or other potential bad-actors trying to hook additional unauthorized RPi's into the zen cloud, I don't think a serial number is enough. Perhaps a MD5 hash of the MAC, activation code, and serial number could be enough. However, if the SD card or OS on it get's hosed, you don't want customers to be without their controller when they can just reflash. A custom serial would make that process difficult. The customer will need to understand that use of the service is tied to that specific RPi. It's no more complicated to switch an RPi out with another RPi than it is switch an SD card from one unit to another. I personally don't see it as a burden to require that particular RPi be used to use the service, and at the same time it provides some level of protection to Zen. I will say that I don't imagine their community of users will ever be so large that the resale market becomes too much a burden for support to address.

Once Eric explained that the activation was tied to the MAC and that I was sold a new used ZenController from GAW  Roll Eyes, it made sense. Except that it should not have been able to put my pool details in if it wasn't registered to me. It was clear at that point that some mechanism was missing and Zen had allowed the device to be registered to two accounts. I can only hypothesize that because GAW had the device first, and their registration was older that it would write my pool, then override it with theirs as the cloud backend cycled through customers devices. That is why I suggested to Eric that Zen add in a safeguard to prevent MACs being re-registered in their system.

While I'm still very frustrated with my experience purchasing equipment with GAW, I will say that GAW and Zen did work together to quickly identify and resolve the bug in their back end. Eric was reasonably forthcoming with information about how their service works and how this happened. After our chat, I confident this a beta software issue rather than anything malicious.

I'm awaiting a new build of the Zen firmware that is supposed to resolve my specific issues. When I receive it and am able to test it I will report back.

Nerull

Activity: 195
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 08:11:53 AM

Zenminer is horrible. Its impossible to even log into their website. Since i got the thing 2 weeks ago not once has it worked and the support button seems to be attached to a deep dark empty hole where 1-2 mins of time filling out the form go to die
alienesb

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:23:13 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2014, 06:06:54 PM by alienesb

I got a BW today and tried to hook it up to a PC where I already have a Fury running but it just would not install the drivers correctly. I plugged it into the new Zen I got for it and wow, it actually worked. About 50% discards on Clever straight up Vardiff... but it works.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:47:15 PM

If your pool supports VarDiff you can adjust it to get fewer discards and better rate.
Your pool will have instructions on how to do it. On the BW I would start with 1024 and work your way around a few with a test of at least 6 hrs each one to see which works best for you.

I got a BW today and tried to hook it up to a PC where I already have a Fury running but it just would not install the drivers correctly. I plugged it into the new Zen I got for it and wow, it actually worked. About 50% discards... but it works.

DarkKnight

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:54:30 PM

Received another Zen controller last week. I'd like to put it to use, but it did not come with an activation code attached. The instructions still reference using this missing code. I've emailed Eric, but have received no response. Is anyone aware of an alternative activation process?
alienesb

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:12:47 PM

Received another Zen controller last week. I'd like to put it to use, but it did not come with an activation code attached. The instructions still reference using this missing code. I've emailed Eric, but have received no response. Is anyone aware of an alternative activation process?

Mine second one didn't have a code either but it was recognized by my IP address I guess because it's working fine.
dbt1033
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:10:42 PM

I just got a Zencontroller from GAW without an activation code too...

Did you ever get it activated?
MobileWill

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 05:12:22 PM

You can email support and they can get you a code. It may activate without it.

Btw check if yours has a label on the bottom

http://www.mobilewill.us/2014/06/zenminer-rpi-temps.html

miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=80
dbt1033
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:16:02 PM

Lol... my label isn't covering my vents fortunately.

I haven't gotten home to hook it up yet, so it may activate without the code. 

But that would defeat the purpose of actually buying a zencontroller rather than just flashing your own raspberry pi with the os, wouldn't it?
MobileWill

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 05:18:46 PM

But that would defeat the purpose of actually buying a zencontroller rather than just flashing your own raspberry pi with the os, wouldn't it?

Thats good, they fixed it fast. Where did they put the label, on top?

What do you mean? What would defeat the purpose?

dbt1033
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:22:54 PM

Thats good, they fixed it fast. Where did they put the label, on top?

What do you mean? What would defeat the purpose?

Anyone can put the os on their raspberri pi.  It would defeat the purpose of buying the zencontroller from GAW or someone else if you didn't need an activation code to register with the website.

Yeah they put the label on top.
MobileWill

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 05:25:28 PM

Oh right. I think Zen ties in the MAC address so not sure that would work. I haven't tried it yet though. I did make a backup of the SD Card before I powered it up the first time.

dbt1033
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:33:08 PM

Oh right. I think Zen ties in the MAC address so not sure that would work. I haven't tried it yet though. I did make a backup of the SD Card before I powered it up the first time.

You needed an activation code though, right?  

I have the option to add a zencontroller in the web interface.

Does it prompt you for the code after that?
MobileWill

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 05:34:53 PM

Both mine had it stuck to the side with the HDMI port. I didn't see it at first.

I would email support, they can generate one based on your IP Address.

dbt1033
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:39:08 PM

Both mine had it stuck to the side with the HDMI port. I didn't see it at first.

I just heard back from GAW...apparently they don't need the activation code any more.

I hope this is the case.
MobileWill

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 05:40:34 PM

I just heard back from GAW...apparently they don't need the activation code any more.

I hope this is the case.

Cool, I know they are doing a lot of upgrades recently, finally.

Let us know how it goes.

dbt1033
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:46:25 PM

Zencontroller worked flawlessly, without an activation code!  I'm very happy with it's performance.
enso

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:03:56 PM

ok guys - what am i missing here.  I created an account/registration on the zenminer site, logged in after validating it, added the pools that i normally use, plugged in my zen controller and the corresponding miners, told the website to find my on-premise zen controller - to which it found successfully.  I am able to see the zen controller, and the corresponding USB devices found.  But mining is just not happening - i feel like i am missing something here.  I do not see a way to tell a miner to use a pool, let alone a 'go' or 'start' button.  What am i missing here guys/gals?!

I appreciate any ideas!
MobileWill

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 10:19:38 PM

ok guys - what am i missing here.  I created an account/registration on the zenminer site, logged in after validating it, added the pools that i normally use, plugged in my zen controller and the corresponding miners, told the website to find my on-premise zen controller - to which it found successfully.  I am able to see the zen controller, and the corresponding USB devices found.  But mining is just not happening - i feel like i am missing something here.  I do not see a way to tell a miner to use a pool, let alone a 'go' or 'start' button.  What am i missing here guys/gals?!

I appreciate any ideas!

I would double check your pools. There is a bug where it adds the default one from the miner. Also reboot it now that everything is setup.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: