Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:54:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing the High Moral Ground  (Read 2774 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:26:03 AM

With freedom comes freedoms we do not agree with.

You hit the nail on the head.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -Jefferson

Carry on.
Said the slaveholder. Carry on.

Argumentum ad hominem
Calling one a hypocrite is not ad hominem.

No, but claiming his opinion is invalid because he's a hypocrite, is.
Argument from authority then.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:27:00 AM

I hear you bro. Crime and get-rich-quick speculation have certainly changed the mentality here. You used to get some cred for starting a new project. Now you get trolled; and success is only measured in how many BTCs you can convert to fiat. The extreme greed shown here is proof that bitcoin has become money.    

I haven't even been around as long as a lot of people and I've already seen this change as well. It used to be about community and closeness. Now people screw over their own friends to get ahead and make a little extra money. The entire dynamic has completely gone downhill compared to where it once was.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:27:37 AM

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -Jefferson

Carry on.

Argumentum ad hominem

I didn't use this quote to strengthen my case. He merely put it to words rather well (and just stealing it is bad)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:28:45 AM

Carry on.

Argumentum ad hominem

I didn't use this quote to strengthen my case. He merely put it to words rather well (and just stealing it is bad)
And I impuned his moral authority. Your argument is subjective and invalid.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:30:09 AM

Carry on.

Argumentum ad hominem

And I impuned his moral authority. Your argument is subjective and invalid.

I did not make an argument but merely shared my opinion. Elwar made the (valid) argument Smiley
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:30:42 AM

Calling someone an hypocrite isn't an argument, is an insult, may or may not be justified. But of course, as all insults, it's ad hominem.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:41:11 AM

Calling someone an hypocrite isn't an argument, is an insult, may or may not be justified. But of course, as all insults, it's ad hominem.
This makes no sense. Of course ad hominem is an argument, it may be a fallacious one, but it's still an argument. If it also serves to point out another fallacy, then it may be a valid argument. This is getting so sophomoric and nothing to do with my points about buying drugs from strangers. I would pay to see someone argue this in public in front of cameras. It would be worth the laughs you would get from (insert argument ad populum here).

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:44:57 AM

Gawd, someone let me talk to Stefan Molyneux about this. I'm sure he would try to champion this line of thinking.

Trading
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:10:49 AM

A pure insult isn't an argument ad hominem,  because it isn't an argument.  An argument most have some intrinsic logic directed against the ideas or have some support on facts. Like saying his arguments on freedom are irrelevant because he had slaves.

An insult, at most, might be a preparation for an argument ad hominem.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:17:02 AM

I hear you bro. Crime and get-rich-quick speculation have certainly changed the mentality here. You used to get some cred for starting a new project. Now you get trolled; and success is only measured in how many BTCs you can convert to fiat. The extreme greed shown here is proof that bitcoin has become money.    

I haven't even been around as long as a lot of people and I've already seen this change as well. It used to be about community and closeness. Now people screw over their own friends to get ahead and make a little extra money. The entire dynamic has completely gone downhill compared to where it once was.

For 95% of us it still is. When bit coin became truly valuable it began to attract some nefarious people. This kind of thing isn't unexpected and is a sign of how valuable it has become.

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:23:13 AM

A pure insult isn't an argument ad hominem,  because it isn't an argument.  An argument most have some intrinsic logic directed against the ideas or have some support on facts. Like saying his arguments on freedom are irrelevant because he had slaves.

An insult, at most, might be a preparation for an argument ad hominem.
An insult is an opinion. An argument is an opinion. It's a statement of fact. Facts can be valid or invalid. An argument ad hominem is still an argument. If it is fallacious, then it weakens the argument because the facts they represent are invalid or irrelevant. Calling Jefferson a hypocrite about his opinions about freedom knowing he was a slave owner, doesn't necessarily invalidate his opinion, but it calls many things into question and should not be used to strengthen a contemporary modern argument about freedom on its own merit because it's cliche.

Trading
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:39:50 AM

It seems we agree.

I didn't say an argument ad hominem isn't an argument (even if stupid), I said an insult isn't an argument, because it's a qualification of the author of the ideas. On the ideas, is neutral, unless the two are connected in some kind of logic by an argument.

To say A can't make an argument pro freedom because he don't have slaves would be absurd. So, argument ad hominem most have some logic. An insult is pure qualification of the author, only implicitly/indirectly can say anything on the ideas.

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:49:48 AM

I placed this in Politics and Society because I know most of the real idiots don't sub this board. I enjoyed the discussion.  It will be interesting to see if society at large tolerates lawlessness created by this technology or bans it and imprisons its developers. They started a war with Iraq under the pretense that they had aluminum tubes. It doesn't take much to bring down the holy ban hammer.

fdiini

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:53:25 AM

It is a mark of human nature that new technologies are always weaponized before they are developed for beneficial tools. Metal was forged into swords before plows. Volatile substances were used to make bombs for centuries before generating steam power. Technology scares people. Now we have stealth address technology that will make creating black markets easy.

Gunpowder were invented in China and used as firework.

As for metal:
http://neon.mems.cmu.edu/cramb/Processing/history.html

Technologies were weaponized by the government, not the population.
DVFree

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:10:48 AM

I placed this in Politics and Society because I know most of the real idiots don't sub this board. I enjoyed the discussion.  It will be interesting to see if society at large tolerates lawlessness created by this technology or bans it and imprisons its developers. They started a war with Iraq under the pretense that they had aluminum tubes. It doesn't take much to bring down the holy ban hammer.

I think you're confusing society with government here. You mention society, and at the same time ban and imprisonment but since society is not the one that decides neither to ban nor to imprison I think that government(s) is the proper word.

However, society's role is even more important than the one governments can play regarding cryptos simply by accepting them or not.
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 05:39:46 AM

But there was a snake in the garden. Silk Road created a black market that allowed criminals to become parasites to the Bitcoin development community. The bad press and negative impact of this crime wave hindered Bitcoin adoption. It wan't until Silk Road was closed down that Bitcoin adoption began to take hold and investment grew.

You are so close-minded. Black markets are the best thing that happened recently, thanks to crypto. Anyways, did you know there are already at least 2 markets that are bigger than SR1? Relation to SR1 closing is complete bullshit, black markets are stronger than ever.

Freedom, bud.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:43:58 AM

But there was a snake in the garden. Silk Road created a black market that allowed criminals to become parasites to the Bitcoin development community. The bad press and negative impact of this crime wave hindered Bitcoin adoption. It wan't until Silk Road was closed down that Bitcoin adoption began to take hold and investment grew.

You are so close-minded. Black markets are the best thing that happened recently, thanks to crypto. Anyways, did you know there are already at least 2 markets that are bigger than SR1? Relation to SR1 closing is complete bullshit, black markets are stronger than ever.

Freedom, bud.

QFT.

Black markets and vices like gambling and alcohol are socially unpalatable but necessary parts of a robust economy. It is naive to think otherwise. 

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:27:10 PM

Freedom, bud.

QFT.

Black markets and vices like gambling and alcohol are socially unpalatable but necessary parts of a robust economy. It is naive to think otherwise. 

Prisons are one of the fastest growing industries in America. They are filled with folks that think like you. Be proud to be in the company of so many open minded people. I'm sure SR2 will join them as well.

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:54:49 PM

Just because some people use something like Bitcoin for illegal purposes doesn't mean that YOU don't have the moral high ground. You might even make the case that fiat currencies don't have the moral high ground, either, because they're used to buy and sell drugs and you also get scammers, Ponzi schemes, and all the ills that come with having an overly centralized financial system.

And, guys, keep in mind that calling someone a hypocrite doesn't mean that he can't make your case for you.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:48:54 PM

Are you ready to be personally extorted by anonymous bomb threats for anonymous payments in what you consider civilized society?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: