Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:55:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Don't buy bitcoins"  (Read 17492 times)
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 04:26:05 PM

Real mature responses around here. We're sure to be taken seriously now!

+1 agreed

This forum is not 4chan, people.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 05:46:26 PM

You guys should move the pics to the thread about bitcoin memes...
There's some pretty good stuff here that really fits there  Grin

http://gobarbra.com/hit/new-666e0d36f3fab5fd02f5ebf9e6bd6178

oops...  Roll Eyes
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 05:58:46 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the carrot... it'll end up being a repeat joke.

jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2011, 07:03:44 PM

I think he believes that money must have "intrinsic value".
Why the dolar has been valued since 1972 then?

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 07:08:29 PM

Because you are "forced" to use it.

That's certainly a good argument on why money gains value.  That doesn't mean it's the only way.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 07:16:45 PM

Actually it's been devalued oO

People might have put an increasing amount of trust in the currency but it doesn't change the fact that the value a dollar represents nowadays is less than what it was in 1972. Oppose to that, Bitcoins are gainly value on the long term.

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 07:28:32 PM

Also available at http://bitcoin.witcoin.com/p/1279/Dont-buy-bitcoins
Also see http://bitcoin.witcoin.com/p/1280/Bitcoin-needs-more-memes
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 08:22:41 PM

oops...  Roll Eyes

I followed that link but had to close it immediately, I am annoyed when websites presume to intrude upon my ears uninvited.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 08:51:01 PM

oops...  Roll Eyes

I followed that link but had to close it immediately, I am annoyed when websites presume to intrude upon my ears uninvited.

Yeah, it's not good when your boss listens to your computer playing music when you should be working  Shocked j/k  Wink
tomcollins

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 10:38:30 PM

Found the Santa Claus video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpNEOncDGo

22 minutes long, though.  Need to find the funny part of it.  Most of it makes Ben Stein look like Billy Mays.
dvide

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 10:41:25 PM

This mockery is discouraging. Nielsio is a brother in arms. Maybe he's wrong about bitcoin, and mistaken about how currency can be valuable in and of itself, but let's not straw man him. Come on guys, he doesn't support government fiat--actually listen to what he said. And he doesn't think that vegetables make a good currency obviously; vegetables was just an example of a consumption good. The pictures made me sad because it's such a straw man. Come on guys, you can try to convince him why he's wrong. He has a good following of anarcho-capitalists and voluntaryists that could get on board. Mocking him is actually a travesty Smiley

Sometimes the best way to learn is just to put your conclusions out there, but be open to being shown to be wrong. Nielsio will change his mind if you can show why he's wrong. For the record, I saw his video and it made me think about the concepts involved and about why my intuition was telling me that he was wrong. I spent all day looking into bitcoin and I think it's wonderful. Some people here have provided some good answers, explaining how the properties that make gold good as currency make people value the gold as currency by itself. His psychic powers may be scarce, but they have none of the other properties that would make it good currency (unlike gold and bitcoins too). The fact that nobody would buy his psychic power certificates is not just because it has no genuine consumption value, but mostly because it lacks the properties vladimir described. And he would be the central issuer of this currency, where with bitcoin and gold that is not the case.

And yes, the properties that make gold good as jewellery or as an electrical conductor also means people value gold for those use cases, but that's different and unrelated. The fact that gold has value for some consumption too is just a sort of 'coincidence'. Of course, nearly every material has some use for consumption but very few materials have properties that make it a good currency (silver is another good currency but unlike gold it corrodes easily). Maybe these consumption use cases helped it become established at first, but I refuse to accept that it's a necessary step. Currency in and of itself is valuable. Without it we'd be bartering, so with currency our lives are better. So if gold had no foreseeable use as a consumption good, lives would still be improved by using it as a currency because we wouldn't be bartering. So logically the properties of currency itself provide a kind of value too, solely from its use as a good medium of exchange.
tomcollins

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

This mockery is discouraging. Nielsio is a brother in arms. Maybe he's wrong about bitcoin, and mistaken about how currency can be valuable in and of itself, but let's not straw man him. Come on guys, he doesn't support government fiat--actually listen to what he said. And he doesn't think that vegetables make a good currency obviously; vegetables was just an example of a consumption good. The pictures made me sad because it's such a straw man. Come on guys, you can try to convince him why he's wrong. He has a good following of anarcho-capitalists and voluntaryists that could get on board. Mocking him is actually a travesty Smiley

Sometimes the best way to learn is just to put your conclusions out there, but be open to being shown to be wrong. Nielsio will change his mind if you can show why he's wrong. For the record, I saw his video and it made me think about the concepts involved and about why my intuition was telling me that he was wrong. I spent all day looking into bitcoin and I think it's wonderful. Some people here have provided some good answers, explaining how the properties that make gold good as currency make people value the gold as currency by itself. His psychic powers may be scarce, but they have none of the other properties that would make it good currency (unlike gold and bitcoins too). The fact that nobody would buy his psychic power certificates is not just because it has no genuine consumption value, but mostly because it lacks the properties vladimir described. And he would be the central issuer of this currency, where with bitcoin and gold that is not the case.

And yes, the properties that make gold good as jewellery or as an electrical conductor also means people value gold for those use cases, but that's different and unrelated. The fact that gold has value for some consumption too is just a sort of 'coincidence'. Of course, nearly every material has some use for consumption but very few materials have properties that make it a good currency (silver is another good currency but unlike gold it corrodes easily). Maybe these consumption use cases helped it become established at first, but I refuse to accept that it's a necessary step. Currency in and of itself is valuable. Without it we'd be bartering, so with currency our lives are better. So if gold had no foreseeable use as a consumption good, lives would still be improved by using it as a currency because we wouldn't be bartering. So logically the properties of currency itself provide a kind of value too, solely from its use as a good medium of exchange.

I've dealt with Neilsio for many years, and him admitting he is wrong on ANYTHING is pretty much impossible.  Even when it comes from someone he admires and respects.  You will not convince him he is wrong about anything once he is convinced he knows the answer.
dvide

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 10:53:28 PM

I've dealt with Neilsio for many years, and him admitting he is wrong on ANYTHING is pretty much impossible.  Even when it comes from someone he admires and respects.  You will not convince him he is wrong about anything once he is convinced he knows the answer.
Ok. I must admit I said that without knowing for sure, but he doesn't strike me as an ideologue. I'll concede though because you know him. I still don't think he's worth this mockery though.
tomcollins

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:02:37 PM

Ok. I must admit I said that without knowing for sure, but he doesn't strike me as an ideologue. I'll concede though because you know him. I still don't think he's worth this mockery though.

Possibly, but only because he could get to a lot of people, and a few people could drive up the price.

He's a brother in arms only accidentally.  I sense some kind of trauma in his past from government/schools/society that have made him the way he is more than actually understanding the concepts.
Prze_koles

Activity: 156

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:03:41 PM

This is boring. I mean, we already know those facts. It is obvious for Bitcoin community that there's no government which forces you to use Bitcoins. I think nobody here is 100% sure that Bitcoin will succeed. Although we participate in this project, we have fun with this, we speculate etc.
OK, this is his opinion, but who cares what is he saying?

1FzTJh1C58m1gqnNzxLTt2ryNYkuk1YdfN
tomcollins

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:10:24 PM

This is boring. I mean, we already know those facts. It is obvious for Bitcoin community that there's no government which forces you to use Bitcoins. I think nobody here is 100% sure that Bitcoin will succeed. Although we participate in this project, we have fun with this, we speculate etc.
OK, this is his opinion, but who cares what is he saying?

Sure, everyone here knows.  But there are other people who won't immediately know the weaknesses in his arguments.
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:15:33 PM

I'm being slow with my projects waiting for when BTC stops to be "the business" and business can be done with BTC instead.

The only way to stop BTC is to shutdown the internet. But if someone does that, then we go back to caves where no money at all, printed or whatsoever has any value. We will trade with bison bones instead.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:20:36 PM

I think being mocked a bit is a good punishment for being a smart ass.

If you think you are clever enough to lecture people about stuffs, you have to assume it.

A lot of people are doing and writing very smart things, and yet they don't feel the narcissic urge of showing their face on Youtube.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:36:48 PM

I think being mocked a bit is a good punishment for being a smart ass.

If you think you are clever enough to lecture people about stuffs, you have to assume it.

A lot of people are doing and writing very smart things, and yet they don't feel the narcissic urge of showing their face on Youtube.

+1
 Apparently some people did quite the opposite of what this guy is saying.

I think the problem isn't whether he is a "brother in arms" but rather that he is close minded. As someone stated, his behavior indicates that he is "like minded" with anarchist or libertarian ideals not because he embraces them but rather because he nurtures anti government feelings, for whatever reason. I'm a gold bug myself yet I adopted Bitcoin at first sight, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here, which certainly prove the 2 aren't incompatible. Also, I'll take a wolf skull with those bison bones.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:40:52 PM
Last edit: April 24, 2011, 12:09:34 AM by grondilu

I'm a gold bug myself yet I adopted Bitcoin at first sight, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here, which certainly prove the 2 aren't incompatible.

This gives me an idea for a poll.

Edit.

Here it is:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6392.0

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: