Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:38:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Novello Technologies new Mining System Project, prices as low as $0.3/GH  (Read 40562 times)
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:47:02 AM

The actual hashing modules will be built for us by a subcontractor

Who is?
marto74

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 09:02:53 AM

I'm still waiting for more info on chips.
In order to decide to do design for your chip or not we need:

1. Pinout
2.Chip comms
3. Command guide
4.PCB recommendations by the chip designer/producer
5. Sample chips delivery terms, i.e. pricing , availability etc.
6. Delivery times for bulk and bulk pricing for 100,500,1000,10k chips

Best

http://technobit.eu
tips : 12DNdacCtUZ99qcP74FwchaCPzeDL9Voff
s1lverbox
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:23:00 AM

Seems Novello ignoring most of questions related to money and funding.

I just pretty sure this is scam and not differs from mendicant in front of the shop-nice story but always same demand.
Thanks to your silly approach, greedy way of making money leaving risk on simple simon shoulders i'm out and really who ever will even have stupid idea of funding this PLEASE READ WHOLE THREAD AGAIN.
There are cheap asics ready to be delivered today not withing another 4 months or so.
Your delivery time frame is a joke. You have idea but not even working ptototype. No chips, only promises. No support from anyone with  more BTC than you have at this moment.And now you loosing this battle thanks to ignorance.
novello (OP)

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 10:15:17 AM

UPDATE - Friday 6 June

Good morning everyone, it's a pretty dull and overcast morning here in Glasgow, but expected to get sunnier and warmer later on. Pity I'm tied to a desk but we all have our crosses to bear.

Yesterday was another interesting day, and again thanks to everyone who's taken the time to post in this thread. Ben Turas made some very interesting points about how project like these might be funded in the future, and it's certainly food for thought. Not saying that I necessarily agree with all he suggests, but if you have an open mind it's surprising what you can learn from others.

I'll now return to some points that have come up during the past few days. We've been asked time and time again for 'details' about our technology and I gave out some extra information yesterday, expecting some kind of feedback.

Silence. Nothing.

This tells me that either those requesting the information didn't see it, or that they don't understand it, so here's a summary of our chip's spec:

40nm medium Vt process (simulated in bulk, so vendor independent)
100mm2  die size
256 dual SHA256 pipelines in main array + 16 spares
FPMBGA packaging with exposed die
Clock speed 500 Mhz at rated Vdd of 0.85V
Power consumption at rated speed/Vdd is 23.5 - 25 watts approximately
0.18 - 0.19 Joules/GH at chip level
Power distribution:      Flip flops : 46.2%
                               Full Adders (in carry save chain):31.3%
                               A,E and Word generator Adders: 22.5%
                               Clock Power approx 14% included in figures
Areas of key elements: Full adder - 1.72 square microns, Flip Flop- 2.02 square microns

That should tell an experienced engineer all that he or she needs to know about the chip.

I have to admit that we have been a little disappointed in the lack of professionalism exhibited by a minority of the posters, but then its easy to say things and use obnoxious language if you're safely tucked behind a computer. Most of the posters are actually pretty polite and courteous and the professional credentials of some shine through. For the others .....  the most strident and hateful ones have clearly never worked in a proper company or had to work with teams of other professionals, so to those people please take this message on board: We're here to stay in this forum and don't respond to taunts or insults. You are rank amateurs compared to customers we've dealt with all our working lives.

I would also reinforce to other readers what we've already said in our proposal:

There’s also a hard core of individuals and companies who really don’t want every wanabee miner with $59 joining their party, making the difficulty higher and reducing their earnings. They will try extremely hard to convince you that pre-orders are ‘bad’ and under no circumstances should you go down this route - despite the fact that most of them made their money from pre-order products! We’d advise you to read, read, then read some more and make up your own mind.

There's even a separate thread started by one poster asking if we're a scam - they've already made accusations about this several times, and you have to question what their motivation is in this instance.

Hint: it's not about protecting innocent buyers from evil scammers like us.

Now I'm pretty certain this person lives in the UK, so I'll give him (or her) this challenge:

One of our team will meet you personally at a time and place of your choosing anywhere in the UK to discuss this project face to face, on the proviso that you bring along your original Passport or Photo Driving License and proof of your address, as will our team member. We will pay your reasonable travel costs to attend this meeting, as we're fairly sure you're unemployed. You can call us directly on our telephone number, 0141 280 0447

But back to business.

One poster remarked that we have 'got' $4k from Indiegogo. That's not true, we have some contributors who want to buy products, but we don't get the money until the campaign ends AND we draw it down, so at this time we have nothing. I've already answered a question put by C2M earlier in regard of what happens if we don't hit our target.

Canary posted a question earlier on about whether we had considered the amount of network power that would be added by the Asicminer chips. I've answer this so please have a read at my reply, whether or not you choose to contribute to our program, it's an explanation that might help you decide what to about your own mining strategy. There's lots of other stuff in our proposal that might also help you, if you have any questions about how we calculated our various metrics, please email us directly.

One of my younger colleagues will be posting later today regarding the situation around our team's identities and some other business. Please watch out for it.

Lastly, keep the posts coming. We like to discuss what we're doing, and will be more than pleased to answer sensible questions. Thanks again for taking the time to look us up.

Oh, if anyone does want to talk to us, they can do so by calling +44 141 280 0447 during normal business hours. There's no one in the office today, but leave a message and we'll get back to you. You can also email us at any time: tech@novellotech,com or sales@novellotech.com

novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 10:20:03 AM

In order to decide to do design for your chip or not we need:

1. Pinout
2.Chip comms
3. Command guide
4.PCB recommendations by the chip designer/producer
5. Sample chips delivery terms, i.e. pricing , availability etc.
6. Delivery times for bulk and bulk pricing for 100,500,1000,10k chips

Best

Yeah, sorry I didn't get back to you. We are not sure yet if we will be selling chips to third parties, it depends on how the funding program goes. Any information we gave out to you would be under an NDA, and we would only do this once we can give you a complete datasheet.

So it's not going to be in the immediate future, we need to concentrate on other matters just now.

Thanks again for your interest, drop me an email and we'll keep you updated on progress.

btcminer84

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 10:22:22 AM

In order to decide ...

Warning:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=358439.20

Technobit.eu is a SCAM COMPANY. Technobit.eu don't send me anything. I just waiting for my refund since 10th Dec 2014.

You told me, the refund need 10 days since 12 of December 2013. So, WHERE is my refund? I never got it.
Order: FESYNGABJ placed on 2013-12-07 13:24:27
Payment: Bank Wire

So you are the fucking scammer!

DON'T BUY FROM TECHNOBIT.EU SCAM Company!

Technobit.eu will never send anything!
novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 11:01:58 AM

I've finally had time to take slightly deeper dive into this and typing up some questions, so here's what I've got:

1. Is there really enough time to still be considering a 20 or 28nm design with funding still at least a month away from completing? I see your Gantt chart, but it doesn't take into consideration what happens if you only recieve 1/3rd of your funding, for example.

2. There are a lot of questions about who your people are. As you say "structure" only, it is likely you don't have a payroll yet, but have people lined up, so providing their details would expose them and potentially cause problems in their current jobs if your business does not actually start up. Can you confirm this, or do you actually have the people on staff right now? I noticed also that your subcontractor budget was higher than your labor budget. Is that subcontractor direct labor or subcontractor companies doing work for you?

3. You used the bitcointalk version/definition of ROI in 3.1. I'd recommend staying away from this usage even in an example as it doesn't make sense, and wouldn't make sense to someone reading this document without understanding the bitcointalk slang.

4. Is this a typo: "From Jan 2014 to Jan 2015 (365 days)" If you are going to predict the future, shouldn't it be in the future.

5. The guaranteed supply program doesn't favor the small-time miner. It favors the person with free capital to invest now. This is set up in a way that the big can get bigger but the small or latecomer can never take a big leap (3 times the original hashing power is the limit of growth under discount). This sounds like an investment rather than a purchase and goes against your stated ethos.

6. The whole idea of Jane is that from an investment standpoint. Again, you keep treating this like an investment while saying this is just a hardware commodity purchase. Which is it?

7. Fault tolerance at the level described in the document seems like a wasted effort. Aren't most failures due to heat at these sizes catastrophic? I'm not an expert in this area by any stretch of my imagination, but it seems to me that if you wanted redundancy in the design that doing it at the chip level rather than sub-chip level would be preferable.

8. Its been suggested in another thread that I might work for you, so I'd like my paycheck please.

Hi, thanks for your post and questions, here's my reply:

1. No, it's not too late to change from 40nm to 28nm, with most foundry's processes it's a direct physical shrink. Yes, you still have to carry out DRC, simulation and post layout simulation to make sure all is well, but there shouldn't be any major obstacles, perhaps maybe a few weeks leeway to be sure.
The Gantt chart doesn't consider reduced funding, that's true. We have several backup strategies, but before we did anything we would give them to our customers to ask how they want us to proceed. They might well say no, in which case they get their money back.

2. You are quite correct in what you have said, we have no paid staff right now. The subcontractor budget is for the company that will populate the pcb's and the one that will assemble the enclosures, all the design costs are included in the NRE area.

3. Good point. We'll change that.

4. No, it's not a typo. We are going to launch an Indiegogo campaign for a time machine.

5. Disagree with you here, the GSP is designed to help all of our customers grow, we'll also be including the NOVA-S ones into it soon. Our example for 'Jane' is based on her buying a $500 system. I know it's a lot of money to a lot of people, but it is still affordable. She get her system power up by buying more hashing modules through her earnings from the rig, that's not using any more of her own money. I agree that anyone who buys a lot of out big rigs would get bigger, but in the same proportions to Jane. There should, however be a lot more Janes around. It's not really against our ethos, we want ALL our customers to be competitive, and they will be if we get the chance to make this project work. By offering low cost, competitive rigs we can open the doors to more 'small time' miners. 

6. It's a commodity purchase, we take pains to point out that our figures are projections, not fact. Nowadays most people looking at mining are confuse by the numerous calculators available and a lot of misinformation on the forums. All we tried to do with Jane was to put down a reasonable picture of what might happen in a given set of circumstances. Surely more information is better than none?

7. Fault tolerance is something we're used to designing into what might be termed 'mission critical' systems. making money is definitely critical. You're right in saying that heat causes most of the damage, but regularly checking the health of a pipeline means you can be sure it's hashing properly. If not, you might end up missing out on finding a block because one adder got too hot.

8.  We don't get paid at the moment either, so you'll have to join the queue!

Thanks again for your questions.

novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 11:38:31 AM

I know this is going way off topic, but I thought it might be worth putting up.

In many of the threads on this forum, including ours, many posters use what I can only describe as repugnant language, and constantly deliver insults and accusations to those that don't agree with their point of view, and encorage others to do so. This behaviour is not unique to this forum, of course, it happens in many other on line forums, and is in effect bullying by proxy. Many young people have taken their own lives because of it throughout the world, and that's a terrible indictment on the state of our society.

I previously was a volunteer with the UK Samaritans, it's a unique charity set up to provide people in distress a means by which they can talk to someone at any time, night or day and they will listen to them. No judgement and importantly, no advice, it's just someone who will try to help the caller come to terms with their situation. It's all done by phone, and it's free to call them.

In recent years the amount of people calling them about cyber bullying has rocketed, and that's very sad. It's difficult to deal with, particularly amongst young people. Now there are clearly a lot of younger people on this forum, and I'm not suggesting for a moment that any of them are at the stage where they want to commit suicide, but constant bullying by other community members can have a damaging effect on a young mind.

Now I'll publicly say to all the trolls, shills, oafs and wanabee cyber bullies that inhabit this forum that you can send whatever hateful messages, insults and insinuations you can dream up to me or to our company all day long, it's water off a duck's back because we've probably heard it all before and will do again. We're fair game, and we're adults.

But to other forum members I'd ask that you might consider carefully the language you use towards other members in your communication - you have no idea who is on the other end, and think about how you might feel if you were spoken to that way. Remember that as  community we are viewed by outsiders and the way we conduct our communications in our forum does not always give the right impression.

Any intelligent person enjoys a good, open discussion or argument. You can argue your point and put it across in a polite manner, and it will carry a great deal more weight if you do. It will earn you far more respect than threats and putting people down.

Activity: 37
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 11:57:37 AM

Long time listener, first time caller.

My view is that the people calling "scam" / "fail" etc, are the ones who shelled out big money for BFL rigs and KNC rigs, that have been nothing but headaches. They paid HUGE pre-order prices, saw KNC and BFL mine with their money and are disgruntled. Now, they are playing the extreme skeptics and naysayers.

This is an opportunity for a start up company, to be funded and prove its product. You KNOW right up front, that you are FUNDING this project (and not Josh's new house bought with BTC or KNC's data center) and you get a product out of your support. All these "pre orders" have been much different than this offer. These guys are transparent and TELLING you the roadmap to their product. How many other scammers can you list that have been this transparent? Please list them with details of their proposals.

I am in no way associated to Novello. I have contributed 500 to the project.

So, if you aren't here to support this idea, please go be cynical somewhere else that has PROVEN being scammers with their lack of delivery on their promised delivery dates and sent out miners full of used and broken parts.

s1lverbox
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:30:47 PM

My view is that the people calling "scam" / "fail" etc, are the ones who shelled out big money for BFL rigs and KNC rigs, that have been nothing but headaches. They paid HUGE pre-order prices, saw KNC and BFL mine with their money and are disgruntled. Now, they are playing the extreme skeptics and naysayers.

This is an opportunity for a start up company, to be funded and prove its product. You KNOW right up front, that you are FUNDING this project (and not Josh's new house bought with BTC or KNC's data center) and you get a product out of your support. All these "pre orders" have been much different than this offer. These guys are transparent and TELLING you the roadmap to their product. How many other scammers can you list that have been this transparent? Please list them with details of their proposals.

So, if you aren't here to support this idea, please go be cynical somewhere else that has PROVEN being scammers with their lack of delivery on their promised delivery dates and sent out miners full of used and broken parts.

Just because YOU said so, let me contribute as well...zero.
Transparency-asked about team, NO ANSWER
Transparency about project-product: loads of info nothing special
Transparency maybe because they are VAT and LTD registered? I DONT THINK SO

I don't know for sure if they are here to run with BTC or to deliver product.
But after what we have seen in the past and how big registered companys was screwing people over BTC i think a bit of scepticism is nothing wrong.
If you think within let say 5 months they can deliver working product which will meet criteria and will not be useless like jalapeno etc my view on your person is clear.
Dream on. They have nothing in hands, and i can see that they will not get anything here. Indigogo will not succeed neither so....
Problem is that to much to read and newbies will be scared to invest. Enough to read for users with knowledge but they are so experienced that they will not put anything in to that project.

I might be wrong and will say Good Luck.
If product will be ready to buy i will check it out myself but for now this boat is long gone.
novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:31:50 PM

Thanks for your contribution, we will not let you down. We appreciate your support and comments, but we also recognise other peoples right to be cynical of new companies. We'll try to answer any sensible query or question, and will do so in a professional and courteous manner.

We don't really want to comment on what other companies have or haven't done as we were not one of their customers. Its true that many start ups can get overwhelmed if they get huge amounts of capital to play with, and to be fair to some of those companies they probably had never run a business before and couldn't anticipate the problems they would face in mass production.

novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:37:20 PM

Just because YOU said so, let me contribute as well...zero.
Transparency-asked about team, NO ANSWER
Transparency about project-product: loads of info nothing special
Transparency maybe because they are VAT and LTD registered? I DONT THINK SO

I don't know for sure if they are here to run with BTC or to deliver product.
But after what we have seen in the past and how big registered companys was screwing people over BTC i think a bit of scepticism is nothing wrong.
If you think within let say 5 months they can deliver working product which will meet criteria and will not be useless like jalapeno etc my view on your person is clear.
Dream on. They have nothing in hands, and i can see that they will not get anything here. Indigogo will not succeed neither so....
Problem is that to much to read and newbies will be scared to invest. Enough to read for users with knowledge but they are so experienced that they will not put anything in to that project.

I might be worng and said Good Luck.
If product will be ready to buy i will check it out myself but for now this boat is long gone.

Thanks for your post(s), and you're welcome to your opinions. I'm pretty sure we made out clearly in our prospectus exactly what we want to do, and how to go about it. If you don't understand bits of it, please ask and I'll do my best to explain; perhaps you're not used to seeing a proposal put down in this way, that's understandable. It's certainly a different approach to the one page efforts that have gone before.

So please have another read. I'm here to help.

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:24:18 PM

In many of the threads on this forum, including ours, many posters use what I can only describe as repugnant language, and constantly deliver insults and accusations to those that don't agree with their point of view, and encorage others to do so. This behaviour is not unique to this forum, of course, it happens in many other on line forums, and is in effect bullying by proxy. Many young people have taken their own lives because of it throughout the world, and that's a terrible indictment on the state of our society.

I previously was a volunteer with the UK Samaritans, it's a unique charity set up to provide people in distress a means by which they can talk to someone at any time, night or day and they will listen to them. No judgement and importantly, no advice, it's just someone who will try to help the caller come to terms with their situation. It's all done by phone, and it's free to call them.

In recent years the amount of people calling them about cyber bullying has rocketed, and that's very sad. It's difficult to deal with, particularly amongst young people. Now there are clearly a lot of younger people on this forum, and I'm not suggesting for a moment that any of them are at the stage where they want to commit suicide, but constant bullying by other community members can have a damaging effect on a young mind.

Now I'll publicly say to all the trolls, shills, oafs and wanabee cyber bullies that inhabit this forum that you can send whatever hateful messages, insults and insinuations you can dream up to me or to our company all day long, it's water off a duck's back because we've probably heard it all before and will do again. We're fair game, and we're adults.

But to other forum members I'd ask that you might consider carefully the language you use towards other members in your communication - you have no idea who is on the other end, and think about how you might feel if you were spoken to that way. Remember that as  community we are viewed by outsiders and the way we conduct our communications in our forum does not always give the right impression.

Any intelligent person enjoys a good, open discussion or argument. You can argue your point and put it across in a polite manner, and it will carry a great deal more weight if you do. It will earn you far more respect than threats and putting people down.

You haven't been on online forums much I take it.
We all went through same epiphany at one point or another.
novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:34:23 PM

Probably true. Just felt that it might be worth throwing out there.....

Did you get a chance to look at my reply to your query about AM? We're very interested in getting feedback on the whole network growth scenario

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:54:41 PM

<snip>

Did you get a chance to look at my reply to your query about AM? We're very interested in getting feedback on the whole network growth scenario
I think you should assume 1400-1600 pt produced by AM.
novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:19:39 PM

<snip>

Again you're probably right, but over what timescale? At roundabout 990PH the electricity cost - even at 4  cents per kWh - is the same as the amount earned (at Btc = $500). If you have any other information relevant to this that you'd like to share with us, we'd be most grateful. Not to use against AM, I hasten to add, they have ever right to exist and make money the same any other asic companies. i did like their new and the concept, it's a real shame that it didn't come in at the planned power specs. Still, they have plenty of time to take another pop at it.

watcoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I am a watable wat

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 02:27:34 PM

I like the concept of your proposal but you are asking for $4.2 million in funding using the Indiegoo flexible funding option. I will keep my eye on it and see if you can cross the threshold because I am not interested in funding an underfunded project where you get to keep the investment money even if you do not have the required funds to complete development.

Good luck!

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 02:33:06 PM

<snip>

Again you're probably right, but over what timescale? At roundabout 990PH the electricity cost - even at 4  cents per kWh - is the same as the amount earned (at Btc = $500). If you have any other information relevant to this that you'd like to share with us, we'd be most grateful. Not to use against AM, I hasten to add, they have ever right to exist and make money the same any other asic companies. i did like their new and the concept, it's a real shame that it didn't come in at the planned power specs. Still, they have plenty of time to take another pop at it.
All info is public wrt AM, just a lot of pages to read through...
Their chip actually is within spec, however first manufacturing attempts by device makers haven't fully utilized it.  There's one manufacturer that is coming close however... As the others improve their fw, power will drop on AM chip.
novello (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 03:08:17 PM

I like the concept of your proposal but you are asking for $4.2 million in funding using the Indiegoo flexible funding option. I will keep my eye on it and see if you can cross the threshold because I am not interested in funding an underfunded project where you get to keep the investment money even if you do not have the required funds to complete development.

Good luck!

Thanks for your post. We chose flexible funding because it will also give our customers a choice...if we had said we want $2m, no one would have believed we could fund chip development AND fulfill orders out of that amount. So we ask for what we need. If it's all or nothing, then we fail and a lot of people will be disappointed. If we use flexible funding, we might secure funds from elsewhere or use a backup plan which we'll present to our customers to see if they want to go ahead. If they say no, then we don't take the money from Indiegogo and it gets refunded to their cards.

It's a perfectly reasonable way to go about things.

But thanks for your good wishes, we really do hope we can get the chance to prove what we can do.

jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:44:01 PM

Anyone still not convinced this a scam?

OP has written a short novel worth of vague evasive answers.

Tons and tons of claims and literally not a single peice of evidence.

This "ipo thread" consists entirely of 50% bold unsubstantiated claims, 25% self contradiction, and 25% ignorance regarding bitcoin/mining.

Even if this "team" is capable of designing/producing such an asic, they have demonstrated extreme incompetence on the business/PR side of things.

My final evaluation:

90% chance it's a scam
5% chance it's a real company which fails to deliver anything
4.9% chance this company delivers underperforming/delayed hardware

0.1% they deliver on time/on spec (being optimistic here)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: