Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:26:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The more the merrier?  (Read 1667 times)
Niggle (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:02:50 AM

I have 3 computers on my home network that my family uses. I run the Bitcoin core program on my computer only as I want to support the Bitcoin network. Is there an advantage for the Bitcoin network for me to run the bitcoin core program on all 3 computers on my home network or is just one program running per internet connection sufficient? I'm a big believer in Bitcoin and if there is an advantage to the network for me to have 3 nodes in my house, I will. Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 12:22:19 PM

I have 3 computers on my home network that my family uses. I run the Bitcoin core program on my computer only as I want to support the Bitcoin network. Is there an advantage for the Bitcoin network for me to run the bitcoin core program on all 3 computers on my home network or is just one program running per internet connection sufficient? I'm a big believer in Bitcoin and if there is an advantage to the network for me to have 3 nodes in my house, I will. Thanks.

From my personal experience 1 machine running is the best you can do, unless you have several external IPs. The reason is that you can only forward the external port to 1 machine. And the machines will not use their internal IP addresses but the external ones. Thus you cant even reliably speed up the distribution off the blockchain in your own network. This is -the way I understand it- because no node gets a priority over the others.

tl;dr: if you have 3 external IPs yes.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:45:54 PM

Unless each has there own external IP, no.
joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:07:20 PM

You need to have external IP for each of the 3 computers, having them sharing the same connection will not help.

Only you will be mining more coins, which is making more profit.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:12:47 PM

If you want to help the network, have one node and make it accept incoming connections via ipv4, ipv6, and Tor.
joshraban76

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:12:33 PM

Huh

Yeah, how may I help you ?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 06:24:18 PM

Huh

A nod is not mining any coins. A node is just a bitcoin wallet that has a full copy of the blockchain.

The smiley is basically say: "WTF is he/she even talking about?"

joshraban76

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:11:40 PM

Huh

A nod is not mining any coins. A node is just a bitcoin wallet that has a full copy of the blockchain.

I'm talking about, if 3 computers are mining for a coin, it will make more profit than 1.

I'm not talking about node here.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 07:17:07 PM

-snip-
I'm talking about, if 3 computers are mining for a coin, it will make more profit than 1.

But you are the only one in this thread talking about mining.

joshraban76

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:19:29 PM

-snip-

Yes, I know.

I meant to point out other possible advantages he can do with the power of his 3 PCs, that's it Smiley

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:29:33 PM

Huh

Screw it!  Just setgenerate true on your node and see if you get lucky! Wink

*True though regarding no additional benefit if all originating from the same IP. (save for redundancy of your running node)

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Niggle (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

How do I do that?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 10:09:45 PM

How do I do that?

copy this bitcoin.conf in your bitcoin-core directory

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Bitcoin.conf_Configuration_File

change #gen=0 to gen=1

start client with -conf=bitcoin.conf

Niggle (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 10:13:56 PM

Will that be the equivalent of CPU mining and work my computer hard?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 10:21:34 PM

Will that be the equivalent of CPU mining and work my computer hard?

That will be CPU mining yes. You can probably lower the tasks priority in a taskmanager to lower the inpact on your system. It will make your CPU work constantly, so your machine might need to cool more and get louder.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 12:11:40 AM

-snip-

Yes, I know.

I meant to point out other possible advantages he can do with the power of his 3 PCs, that's it Smiley
No.

You were talking about mining and now you are pretending that you weren't so that everybody here doesn't think you are a fool. But you are and it is too late and everybody here already knows that.

Stop lying, stop pretending, stop misinforming, stop this bullshit and just admit you were wrong. This is the road to improvement of your weakness - face it, do not run from it, coward.

Niggle (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:38:21 AM

Last thing I want to do is CPU mine. I've got an Avalon 290gh module on its way to me right now. That'll do me quite nicely for the mining part of it. Sounds like I'll just keep the one node going and be done with it.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:56:15 AM

No.

You were talking about mining and now you are pretending that you weren't so that everybody here doesn't think you are a fool. But you are and it is too late and everybody here already knows that.

Stop lying, stop pretending, stop misinforming, stop this bullshit and just admit you were wrong. This is the road to improvement of your weakness - face it, do not run from it, coward.

Actually, I find that 99% of the people with "PrimeDice" adds in their sig are just posting random crap to as many threads as they can to get their post count up and improve their payoff.  Most of the time they have no idea what they are talking about and don't care if their post is helpful.  As long as a review of their post history has the appearance of active participation, they earn by posting nonsense and necro posting as much as they possibly can.

I've gotten to the point where I start by looking to see if someone's post has a PRIMEDICE ad.  If it does, I assume that they aren't really contributing to the conversation at hand.  I've given some serious consideration to just automatically clicking "ignore" on anyone with a PRIMEDICE ad in their sig so I don't have to see their crap any more.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:10:01 AM

I've given some serious consideration to just automatically clicking "ignore" on anyone with a PRIMEDICE ad in their sig so I don't have to see their crap any more.
I've been doing that with anyone who has an annoying signature (colors/size).

It's a lot easier to read threads, because it means reading 75%-90% fewer posts.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 09:22:09 AM

No.

Actually, I find that 99% of the people with "PrimeDice" adds in their sig are just posting random crap to as many threads as they can to get their post count up and improve their payoff.  
Wait... Is their payout directly based on the number of posts, or is primedice this some kind of ponzi scheme?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: