Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:56:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Support  (Read 82927 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:42:33 AM

I also tried

sudo apt-get install gcc

sudo apt-get install g++

and was told that they were already installed and up to date.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:43:58 AM

Hmm, it says the error is opening the file "for writing"

That sounds like a permission problem or less likely disk full.

Do you try to do some of this stuff as root or another user?

Try "rm -rf build" to delete the build directory and start over (assuming you don't have any wallet files in there)

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:55:31 AM

Try:

chown -R <your_user_name>:<your_user_name> ~/Monero/bitmonero/

Close your console if you never did after latest installations (env variables messed up?), open new one. Then:

make clean
make

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
americanpegasus

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:57:12 AM

Hmm, it says the error is opening the file "for writing"

That sounds like a permission problem or less likely disk full.

Do you try to do some of this stuff as root or another user?

Try "rm -rf build" to delete the build directory and start over (assuming you don't have any wallet files in there)

Yeah, I just did this.  I sudo-deleted the build folder, and tried to reconstruct it (same error).  

I then backed out of the entire directory, deleted that, and redownloaded it with

and tried re-making it, and still the same error.  

I only have one user account on this install, which is me with an administrator type account.  I guess the only piece of information at all relevant to my install is that I chose the encryption option and encrypted my operating system with a tough password.  

Sorry it's being so frustrating.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:59:40 AM

This git clone step (and then make) does NOT want sudo, only apt-get commands do.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
americanpegasus

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:05:50 AM

Try:

Close your console if you never did after latest installations (env variables messed up?), open new one. Then:

make clean
make

I did everything you said, including closing out the terminal and reopening.  After using the "make clean" command it warned me it would delete my wallet, which I agreed to.  Then I used the "sudo make" and regular "make" command again and got this error both times: 

mkdir -p build/release
cd build/release && cmake -D BUILD_TESTS=ON -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release ../.. && make
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Could not find DEVELOPER_LOCAL_TOOLS in env (not required)
-- BOOST_IGNORE_SYSTEM_PATHS defaults to OFF
-- Could not find DEVELOPER_LIBUNBOUND_OLD in env (not required)
-- Building for a 64-bit system
-- Could not find DATABASE in env (not required unless you want to change database type from default: lmdb)
-- Could not find Berkeley DB >= 4.1 (missing:  BERKELEY_DB_INCLUDE_DIR BERKELEY_DB_LIBRARIES)
-- BerkeleyDB not found and has been disabled.
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE 
-- Could not find miniupnp
-- Using miniupnpc from local source tree (/external/miniupnpc)
-- Looking for libunbound
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_LIBRARIES
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:313 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  external/unbound/CMakeLists.txt:33 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** [release-all] Error 1

americanpegasus

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:09:38 AM

This git clone step (and then make) does NOT want sudo, only apt-get commands do.

Ok, I'll try deleting everything and redownloading it with a regular command and see if that helps...

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:11:20 AM

you are getting close, I think missing openssl libraries

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

Do not do 'sudo make' , just 'make' (nor as binaryFate pointed out, should you use sudo with anything else involved with building, cloning, etc.) -- that's probably what caused the problem before. sudo should be used only for system admin tasks, not building.
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:13:29 AM

Try:

make clean
make

I did everything you said, including closing out the terminal and reopening.  After using the "make clean" command it warned me it would delete my wallet, which I agreed to.  Then I used the "sudo make" and regular "make" command again and got this error both times: 

mkdir -p build/release
cd build/release && cmake -D BUILD_TESTS=ON -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release ../.. && make
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.8.4
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Could not find DEVELOPER_LOCAL_TOOLS in env (not required)
-- BOOST_IGNORE_SYSTEM_PATHS defaults to OFF
-- Could not find DEVELOPER_LIBUNBOUND_OLD in env (not required)
-- Building for a 64-bit system
-- Could not find DATABASE in env (not required unless you want to change database type from default: lmdb)
-- Could not find Berkeley DB >= 4.1 (missing:  BERKELEY_DB_INCLUDE_DIR BERKELEY_DB_LIBRARIES)
-- BerkeleyDB not found and has been disabled.
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE 
-- Could not find miniupnp
-- Using miniupnpc from local source tree (/external/miniupnpc)
-- Looking for libunbound
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenSSL, try to set the path to OpenSSL root folder in the
  system variable OPENSSL_ROOT_DIR (missing: OPENSSL_LIBRARIES
  OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindOpenSSL.cmake:313 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  external/unbound/CMakeLists.txt:33 (find_package)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/user/Monero/bitmonero/build/release/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** [release-all] Error 1

Given the libunbound error, berkeley db error, openssl, etc, I don't think the initial dependencies are being installed for whatever reason. I had this problem before the guide for mint was written, and just one by one installed each of them until it worked.

I'm pretty sure the install apt-get command given is correct though. I can check later to see if anything is missing.
americanpegasus

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:41:11 AM

Given the libunbound error, berkeley db error, openssl, etc, I don't think the initial dependencies are being installed for whatever reason. I had this problem before the guide for mint was written, and just one by one installed each of them until it worked.

I'm pretty sure the install apt-get command given is correct though. I can check later to see if anything is missing.

Ok, so I went word by word through this command and tried to "sudo apt-get install" them all:

sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date_time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program_options1.55-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev

It's important to note that even though I had done this mass command before, there were several (at least 5) of these libraries that did not install with the mass command.  When I tried to install them, they went through as if I had never tried before.  Something is wrong with the mass command that is not installing all the required libraries!

One of them could not be found, even with an individual command. 

sudo apt-get install libboost-program_options1.55-dev

does nothing. 

After manually installing all the libraries, it's compiling! 

Hopefully it completely compiles into a usable state, and I can play with it.  Thank you so much for all the technical support and patience!  It's nice to troubleshoot these issues so we can help future newbies understanding exactly what they have to do.... type in every one of those commands, step-by-step.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 10:40:19 AM

yeop, and now you can help noobs! I tried to edit my compile overview accordingly, I should probably add the "add them line by line"

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 08:04:27 AM

Today is a great day to move some #xmr into cold storage. Help is always available in the forums if you need it! #monero #privacy #security

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/630636802311741440

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 12:20:06 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2015, 02:23:46 PM by BoscoMurray

I found a couple of typos in the command to install dependencies for Monero build on Linux Mint 17.2. There were a couple of _ where there should have been -

For anyone else building on Mint 17.2:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date-time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program-options1.55-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev libdb-dev
Code:
git clone https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git
cd bitmonero
make
g4q34g4qg47ww

Activity: 478

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 11:41:37 PM

Hey so here's a dumb questions from someone with general knowledge of linux (ubuntu) but certainly has gaping holes in their understanding. I can compile monero from source  and scrounge up missing dependencies, blah blah blah, but how to switch from compiling from master branch of github to the development branch. Something simple like...

Code:
git clone https://github.com/monero-project/tree/development/bitmonero.git

or some such thing? I know it gets asked all the time but can't find. Want to play with lmdb
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 12:02:13 AM

Hey so here's a dumb questions from someone with general knowledge of linux (ubuntu) but certainly has gaping holes in their understanding. I can compile monero from source  and scrounge up missing dependencies, blah blah blah, but how to switch from compiling from master branch of github to the development branch. Something simple like...

Code:

or some such thing? I know it gets asked all the time but can't find. Want to play with lmdb

IIRC, the LMDB is already merged to the master branch. Just compile from the latest commit -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

Unfortunately I am not really tech-savvy, so can't really help you with your question. Also, if I am wrong in my above sentence, someone please correct me!

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
g4q34g4qg47ww

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 12:07:43 AM

IIRC, the LMDB is already merged to the master branch. Just compile from the latest commit -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

Unfortunately I am not really tech-savvy, so can't really help you with your question. Also, if I am wrong in my above sentence, someone please correct me!

If so... then would bitmonerod compiled from master branch build and use the block database using lmdb if you sync from scratch, but would not if you bootstrapped for instance?

Thanks for help
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:02:36 AM

If so... then would bitmonerod compiled from master branch build and use the block database using lmdb if you sync from scratch, but would not if you bootstrapped for instance?

Thanks for help

I believe by default (with no switches) it'll select LMDB and ignore any current standard chain you have, meaning it'll start syncing from 0. I'm not at acomputer to check for sure though. Note: on a 50 mbps fiber connection today I synced from 0 in 47 minutes.

You'll also want to make sure you freshly compiled from today, as there's a very important fix to the daemon just merged.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:33:37 AM

how to switch from compiling from master branch of github to the development branch. Something simple like...

Code:

As others have answered, you don't need to switch branches to compile the LMDB version. Also, so many improvements have been made that its not really a timesaver to bootstrap the blockchain with a download anymore, you can sync from zero in about 1 day max if you have a slow connection, faster if you don't.

To answer your question about how to switch branches, use this after you clone a repository:

Code:
git checkout <branch name>

g4q34g4qg47ww

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:29:46 AM

Radical. It's synching like a mad man and using basically no memory. Here I was thinking it was brooding in some murky testing corner. Thanks for the help everyone. Luigi , i grabbed a fresh one. Saddam, I need to learn more git cli navigation .. which sounds strange...
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 11:15:27 AM

I really want to like monero but the barriers to entry seem huge almost to the point of me giving up.

First off there is no 32 bit linux version. Despite this being a major annoyance to me I've changed my OS to a 64 bit version. This hasn't got me much further though. I'm not a linux noob btw.

I'm trying to run the latest stable version which is 0.8.8.6 After several annoyances with dependencies with libboost i finally can start up bitmonerod

I am still unable to sync the blockchain though.

Firstly I've tried downloading the latest copy (currently about 4.2 G) but download keeps failing and I can't resume and have to start again. Can there not be a torrent or something ?

So instead I try syncing from scratch. Initially it said I am about 481 days behind. However I've tested exiting the daemon and found that regularly doesn't shutdown cleanly which results in all the syncing of that session lost.

I see message

'Stop signal sent'

but then the computer hangs and the changes to the blockchain do not appear to be saved. I've reluctant to leave it running for 2 days to sync the blockchain only to find nothing gets saved at the end!

This doesn't even yet get into the simple wallet. How does it work? Wheres the instructions ?

I am not going to buy monero until I can hold off exchange.

If you want to know why monero price is stagnant, I think these are the reasons .
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: