Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:47:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Support  (Read 82929 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 05:10:42 PM

yes i tried "noisting"but wallet is empty....with "hoisting" i can not restore it. (but it says hoisting on my paper here)
incline or incur is not the problem, its always "inc".

Stick with "hoisting" and replace "incline" with "inline".
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 05:24:32 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2015, 05:53:52 PM by medusa13

ok my original wallet has:

-incline
-hoisting
-launching

i dont know if those are the only ones causing problems  Sad

bad luck?

to make it short:i can not restore the original wallet seed containing this words.

if i enter the original, it says failed verification.
if i change "incline" for "inline", it says failed verificatio
if i have the original, and change "hoisting" to "noisting" , i can restore but its empty (why is this possible anyway?)

seed has 25 words, one is the checksum right? maybe the above helps..

XMR Monero
8XMR

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 06:05:05 PM

-incline
-hoisting
-launching

bad luck?

to make it short:i can not restore the original wallet seed containing this words.

if i have the original, and change "hoisting" to "noisting" , i can restore but its empty (why is this possible anyway?)

Can someone list of bad words old version? I heard incline and inline problem. Never heard noisting.

8xmr.com
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

-incline
-hoisting
-launching

bad luck?

have u brought this to tier 2 support? (#monero or #monero-dev IRC)

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
pa

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 06:28:58 PM

-incline
-hoisting
-launching

bad luck?

Stay with "hoisting". Change "incline" to "inline". Change "launching" to "ourselves".
This is based on the instructions here: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/235
medusa13

hello world

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 06:49:43 PM

-incline
-hoisting
-launching

bad luck?

Stay with "hoisting". Change "incline" to "inline". Change "launching" to "ourselves".
This is based on the instructions here: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/235

with this i get failed verification.

i now try noises instead of hoisting, because "noisting" works too. monermoo recommended this on IRC

but i feel this wont change anything..

XMR Monero
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2015, 10:40:54 PM

-incline
-hoisting
-launching

bad luck?

with this i get failed verification.

i now try noises instead of hoisting, because "noisting" works too. monermoo recommended this on IRC

but i feel this wont change anything..

no, it shouldn't. its just the first 3 letters that matter.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
medusa13

hello world

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 04:24:35 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2015, 04:57:27 PM by medusa13

the problem with my seed has been succesfully solved by fluffypony.
thank you all for your help and support.

lessons learned:

- write bitmonero version number on your seed too, it will help the devs to debug if there should be any problem and a lot of time passed
- keep something to identify your adress, best write the last 4 letters down with your seed on the same paper
- do not use (very) old versions, take the time to upgrade and migrate cold storages too from time to time.
- to have a picture from the seed + address helps, even if it is just to eliminate the doubts about yourself/your hand writing once aou are not able to restore from seed(do i really have the right seed/address?) i had a crappy video but you just need one good frame if you really need it
- if possible, write seed with an offline pc and print or use a writing machine so there is no doubt about every single character, handwriting is not the best way to go for everybody
- use .keys files as your main backup. use seed only as a second parachute

XMR Monero
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 05:06:38 PM

lessons learned:

- write bitmonero version number on your seed too, it will help the devs to debug if there should be any problem and a lot of time passed
- keep something to identify your adress, best write the last 4 letters down with your seed on the same paper
- do not use (very) old versions, take the time to upgrade and migrate cold storages too from time to time.
- to have a picture from the seed + address helps, even if it is just to eliminate the doubts about yourself/your hand writing once aou are not able to restore from seed(do i really have the right seed/address?) i had a crappy video but you just need one good frame if you really need it
- if possible, write seed with an offline pc and print or use a writing machine so there is no doubt about every single character, handwriting is not the best way to go for everybody

Glad to hear that - fluffypony and smooth (among many others) both seem to put an enormous amount of time into supporting the community. I'm very appreciative of having such dedicated individuals.

All good suggestions for cold storage. Obviously just be careful with things like seed photos and whatnot - camera phones often are setup to dump photos to icloud, dropbox and other online services. Ideally an offline laptop w/ camera and/or printer would be used.

medusa13

hello world

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 05:20:44 PM

yes i agree. there was definetely a lot of effort, since murphy was stronger than ever on this one Cheesy

XMR Monero
pa

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 05:54:09 PM

yes i agree. there was definetely a lot of effort, since murphy was stronger than ever on this one Cheesy

Was there a newly identified bug or just some confusion on your part?
medusa13

hello world

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 06:29:25 PM

i dont know if it was new, but:

- there was the incline/inline bug
- there was a typoo on my side with "oats" instead of "oars"
- even when both things were changed, the checksum was wrong.

that is at least my humble interpretation of it.

maybe to quote fluffy if i might:

<fluffypony> it was the incline/incur bug
<fluffypony> but the checksum prevented the correction from going through
<fluffypony> I've already added a patch where the checksum can be bypassed for these cases in future

so its all good and everybody is fine and happy  Smiley  Kiss

i also checked an other wallet made with the same version  win.x64.05082014 and all was fine, so it really depends on the words i guess (and on the version)

--> thats why there was the initiative to use names now for releases instad of numbers (as one of the victims i support this ofc, go for hercules Cheesy)

XMR Monero
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 06:48:26 PM

lessons learned:

Glad to hear everything worked out well!

One little remark regarding the bolded part: If you are using an offline pc and print the seed etc., make sure you keep the printer offline after that as well. If you bring it online again, it could be an additional vulnerability. Another option is just buying a new, additional printer for printing your seed from the offline pc (printers aren't that expensive, around 50-60$). Drivers etc. could just be added to your boot USB. If anyone wants some help with this feel free to PM me. Currently I am a bit limited on time, but if I've got some more free time I'll probably write a guide about this.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 03:04:17 PM

If you are making long-term cold storage wallets with simplewallet, I suggest saving the exact version of simplewallet you used on a USB stick or some other backup as well.

Then if you run into problems restoring in a future version, just drop your backup simplewallet in knowing that it will definitely restore the wallet and then you can send the XMR to a new wallet.

I had the same problem with the inline/incur bug a few months ago and this way saved me. For some reason when I replaced the words it was giving me an entirely different address, so I had to restore with the old version of simplewallet.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 10:27:12 PM

If you are making long-term cold storage wallets with simplewallet, I suggest saving the exact version of simplewallet you used on a USB stick or some other backup as well.

Then if you run into problems restoring in a future version, just drop your backup simplewallet in knowing that it will definitely restore the wallet and then you can send the XMR to a new wallet.

I had the same problem with the inline/incur bug a few months ago and this way saved me. For some reason when I replaced the words it was giving me an entirely different address, so I had to restore with the old version of simplewallet.

Has this been fixed to your knowledge in the current release?

I would find it highly frustrating to have XMR lost because I did not save the simplewallet file as opposed to the mnemonics.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 11:31:20 PM

Has this been fixed to your knowledge in the current release?

I would find it highly frustrating to have XMR lost because I did not save the simplewallet file as opposed to the mnemonics.

Yes, this was already fixed about half a year ago. However, medusa13 had a wallet that was (way) older than that.

See comment of fluffypony on github -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/235

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 12:00:57 AM

Yes it is fixed, I should also clarify that the funds wouldn't be lost, just a bit more of a hassle to recover if I didn't have the old simplewallet handy. I would have needed to go to github and compile an older tagged release. When I had the issue it was also from a wallet generated over 1 year ago.

XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 12:37:19 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2015, 12:47:31 AM by XMRChina

Why not add links to getmonero.org for all prior versions of simplewallet?
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 01:29:48 AM

anyone know roughly the current block height on test net?

currently downloading the blocks.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Andretti83

Activity: 297
Merit: 112

PRIVATE AND NOT PREMINED: MONERO, AEON, KARBO

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:20:10 PM

I'm trying to make view only wallet as descibed here https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/user-guides/how%20to%20create%20a%20view%20only%20wallet
But get error.

I use v0.9 beta (Windows) and checked my viewkey and address twice.

It is test wallet and empty, so I copy entire command

Code:
simplewallet --generate-from-view-key a353b6a4e8670358d91eb50cf92eb10a387559fdc2c1bf5b9782b4e6eaf5ef02:42FDb8mWjhMK1jTDtfiA42eXt7cktA6tAQZn1zmQ2AG5Lx8i7WhBMaEGKrPeuh1cW8gRS3StdyEbwbTvtpPLwMwQEj7pqF7:1234

For some reason simplewallet ask me for password. I thought entire reason behind view only wallet is that I don't need to enter wallet password.
But maybe that not password from the wallet I'm asked for. Anyway after entering password I get

Code:
Error: Failed to parse address

And in simplewallet.log I found

Code:
2015-Oct-22 16:12:28.868532 ERROR C:/msys64/bitmonero-build/src/simplewallet/simplewallet.cpp:1965 Failed to initialize wallet

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: