Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:43:23 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero Support  (Read 82929 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 06:50:56 PM

Updated to 0.9.1 - no problems so far. Do we have an updated list of pools that are running 0.9.1? I'd rather not send my (meager) hash power to a pool operator that isn't paying attention.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:22:06 PM

Updated to 0.9.1 - no problems so far. Do we have an updated list of pools that are running 0.9.1? I'd rather not send my (meager) hash power to a pool operator that isn't paying attention.

All pools listed here seem to be on the correct chain -> https://monerohash.com/#network

I manually checked if they were on the same (block) height as moneroblocks.info, of whom we know is on the correct chain.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2216
Merit: 3238

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Btw (for all other Linux noobs): using the program 'screen' to detach Bitmonerod, so it will not be killed by ending the SSH session, works perfectly:

- start an SSH session to your VPS
- start the program 'screen'
- run ./bitmonerod
- press control+A and release, press D
- Bitmonerod is now detached. You can continue with other Linux activities and/or exit the SSH session
- To 'attach' Bitmonerod again (bring to foreground), type 'screen -r'

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 11:16:00 PM

- start the program 'screen'
- run ./bitmonerod
- press control+A and release, press D

Can automate these steps with

screen -dmS node ./bitmonerod

To connect, screen -r or screen -r node (if you have multiple screen sessions)

(I like to put something like the above in a crontab @reboot entry to start the node automatically at system startup)

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 11:42:51 PM

Just think how many people have learned how to use the command line thanks to Monero!

bitebits
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 06:43:47 PM

Is there a bitmonerod command (Windows), like with Bitcoin Core, to have the Monero blockchain stored in a different file location?
I would like to store the Monero blockchain on my D drive instead of the C drive with limited space.

You can also store Bitcoin data files in any other drive or folder.

If you have already downloaded the data then you will have to move the data to the new folder. If you want to store them in D:\BitcoinData then click on "Properties" of a shortcut to bitcoin-qt.exe and add -datadir=D:\BitcoinData at the end as an example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=d:\BitcoinData
Start Bitcoin, now you will see all the files are created in the new data directory.

Edit: found it. Somehow this was not showing with bitmonerd /? but only when I used an incorrect option:

Settings:
  --data-dir arg (=C:\ProgramData\bitmonero)
                                        Specify data directory

Edit2: wow you guys are quick! Thanks Smiley
Apparently bitmonerod.exe /? gives different options then bitmonerd.exe --help

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 06:45:15 PM

Is there a bitmonerod command, like with Bitcoin Core, to have the Monero blockchain stored in different file location?
I would like to store the Monero blockchain on my D drive instead of the C drive with limited space.

If you have already downloaded the data then you will have to move the data to the new folder. If you want to store them in D:\BitcoinData then click on "Properties" of a shortcut to bitcoin-qt.exe and add -datadir=D:\BitcoinData at the end as an example:

Start Bitcoin, now you will see all the files are created in the new data directory.

if your in windows, make your way to your terminal and type bitmonerod.exe --help

this will give you all of the launch options. One of them should be data-dir.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 06:45:34 PM

Is there a bitmonerod command (Windows), like with Bitcoin Core, to have the Monero blockchain stored in a different file location?

From reddit: (someone asked something similiar a few days ago)

yes, bitmonerod does have this feature for specifying where you want the blockhain. i'm not sure on the default dir as i'm a osx/linux user. launch bitmonerod with --data-dir /path/to/whereyouwantblockchaintogo

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
DonYo

Activity: 432
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:09:30 PM

Code:
D:\XMR\bitmonerod.exe --data-dir C:\blockchain\XMR

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 09:38:31 AM

Code:

Yeah, tangential to this, yesterday I used this command to test how long it would take to download the Monero blockchain from scratch to a SanDisk Extreme 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. This was with an ASUS Eee PC 1215B Netbook (AMD E-350, 6GB RAM) running Windows 10 over a 66mb/s Ethernet connection. It took around 33 hours. This seems slower than a lot of people have been reporting.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 09:59:50 AM

Code:

Yeah, tangential to this, yesterday I used this command to test how long it would take to download the Monero blockchain from scratch to a SanDisk Extreme 32GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. This was with an ASUS Eee PC 1215B Netbook (AMD E-350, 6GB RAM) running Windows 10 over a 66mb/s Ethernet connection. It took around 33 hours. This seems slower than a lot of people have been reporting.
Might have been faster to download to the HDD and move to the thumbdrive.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:29:10 PM

Code:

Sure, but people have been arguing that SSDs have properties that make them significantly faster than HDDs at syncing the Monero blockchain (not to be confused with downloading it, of course). I thought I'd give that a shot. Obviously, this SSD's faster random write speed isn't helping that much. There must be some other bottleneck here.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 04:30:48 PM

Code:

Sure, but people have been arguing that SSDs have properties that make them significantly faster than HDDs at syncing the Monero blockchain (not to be confused with downloading it, of course). I thought I'd give that a shot. Obviously, this SSD's faster random write speed isn't helping that much. There must be some other bottleneck here.

You stated a 32gb thumb drive- not an SSD- way big difference in speed.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 04:32:47 PM

Code:

I'd hazard the lack of AES-NI in that CPU is helping form a bottleneck

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-E%20Series%20E-350%20-%20EME350GBB22GT.html

If you ran it with verify-off you might have seen some impressive numbers. I'm not 100% sure, but when bitmonerod is verifying and building its own blockchain on your device, it is verifying each block. So you essentially just re-mined the entire blockchain (well, not really.. you weren't finding blocks per se, but you were validating the work that was done). So if you were to start_mining in your current daemon and then did show_hr, you could see what kind of hash per second that CPU can do... then take an estimated # of transactions in the entire monero blockchain and divide by your hash / sec, and that'll give you a rough estimate of the verify-induced bottleneck. Perhaps. I could also not know what I'm talking about.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:58:37 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2016, 06:24:41 AM by smooth

Code:

I'd hazard the lack of AES-NI in that CPU is helping form a bottleneck

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-E%20Series%20E-350%20-%20EME350GBB22GT.html

If you ran it with verify-off you might have seen some impressive numbers. I'm not 100% sure, but when bitmonerod is verifying and building its own blockchain on your device, it is verifying each block. So you essentially just re-mined the entire blockchain (well, not really.. you weren't finding blocks per se, but you were validating the work that was done). So if you were to start_mining in your current daemon and then did show_hr, you could see what kind of hash per second that CPU can do... then take an estimated # of transactions in the entire monero blockchain and divide by your hash / sec, and that'll give you a rough estimate of the verify-induced bottleneck. Perhaps. I could also not know what I'm talking about.

There are precomputed hashes for most of the blockchain (except the most recent blocks) so it shouldn't make much difference. But some cheap computers are just going to be slow one way or another, certainly a lot slower than high end desktops or servers.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 09:42:59 PM

You stated a 32gb thumb drive- not an SSD- way big difference in speed.

It's one of the faster thumb drives from 2013. No, it's not an internal SSD, but it's still better than a lot of HDDs, especially if random write speed helps. I'm not even certain that it does. A bottleneck for people could simply be the overall sequential write speed of the drive, SSD or not. I'm simply curious to know.

Btw, I tested the same machine, syncing from scratch to the internal HDD, and it took about the same amount of time as the thumb drive, so there's probably some other bottleneck involved. It could be the slow processor. I'll have to run some tests on a faster machine.

If you ran it with verify-off you might have seen some impressive numbers.

I thought --verify 0 was a blockchain_import command, not a bitmonerod command, so that wouldn't work...

On a related note, I *did* try doing the bootstrap with blockchain.raw, but blockchain_import crashes on the first batch commit (or on block 190 if batching is off), so there's that. I made sure I was running the latest version, so, apparently, crashing during importing was *not* fixed.

Anyway, I'm just curious about the performance aspects here.
bitebits
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:04:13 PM

I feel almost ashamed to ask. But since support was so quick last time, I do it anyway Smiley

Setting up my second Monero node on a VPS. But instead of downloading the blockchain, I like to upload it from my local harddisk (to decrease the change of being kicked from the VPS while syncing).

But where under Ubuntu Server Linux is the blockchain stored? Been googling without any result.

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:11:38 PM

I feel almost ashamed to ask. But since support was so quick last time, I do it anyway Smiley

Setting up my second Monero node on a VPS. But instead of downloading the blockchain, I like to upload it from my local harddisk (to decrease the change of being kicked from the VPS while syncing).

But where under Ubuntu Server Linux is the blockchain stored? Been googling without any result.

In OS X it's [home directory] --> [.bitmonero] --> [lmdb] --> [data.mdb].

I think it's the same in Linux. You can probably just copy and paste the lmdb subdirectory into the hidden .bitmonero directory.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2016, 08:14:15 PM

In OS X it's [home directory] --> [.bitmonero] --> [lmdb] --> [data.mdb].

I think it's the same in Linux. You can probably just copy and paste the lmdb subdirectory into the hidden .bitmonero directory.

I can confirm its the same in ubuntu:

/home/username/.bitmonero/lmdb/data.mdb

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:22:57 PM

I can confirm that in Ubuntu the blockchain is stored in the hidden directory .bitmonero/lmdb/data.mdb in the users home directory.
Code:
/home/<user>/.bitmonero/lmdb/data.mdb 
use the command
Code:
 ls -a
in terminal to list hidden files

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: