Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:14:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 160 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin is officially dead  (Read 290681 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Alchemix

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:54:43 AM

Since i got into LTC (Jan of this year  Embarrassed ) I have seen a crazy fall in price.
It seems like there are new coins coming out every few hours.

I liked how LTC was faster to send, then BTC.
I still have all my LTC ive ever mined (which isnt many) but im wondering what the future has in store for this coin like everyone else.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
poisenrang

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:01:32 AM

''officially'' dead.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
BCFrictionless

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:03:28 AM

Litecoin is not dead but a downward freefall leading to death Grin
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:20:07 AM

Since i got into LTC (Jan of this year  Embarrassed ) I have seen a crazy fall in price.
It seems like there are new coins coming out every few hours.

I still have all my LTC ive ever mined (which isnt many) but im wondering what the future has in store for this coin like everyone else.

you wanna see a crazy fall ? look at vertcoin from $10 to 10 cents in months

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:41:01 AM

Confirmed officially dead.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Litecoin dies every year.  Wink

joe 90

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:57:02 AM
Last edit: December 20, 2015, 01:14:56 PM by joe 90

Litecoin dies every year.  Wink

It recently crashed, then bounced back up again. I initially thought it was dead, then started wishing I had bought some when they were cheap after it bounced back up.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:06:38 AM

Litecoin is dead, but oddly darkota's tip, Darkcoin, has halved in value against it.

Darkota, if you had sold your DRK for LTC when you started this idiotic thread, you could cash in today and buy twice as many DRK.

Then start the Butterexchange, with DRK as the main coin. lol.

darktota, you are such a loser.

Re: BTC-e not adding every coin.

They are smart enough to realise that any short term gain will be lost when BTC-e becomes another Bittrex.

BTC-e will likely delist a couple of before it even considers adding. At the moment there is no stability in cryptoland. The last thing needed is another string of FeathercoinXs.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
kotarius

Activity: 340

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:08:11 AM

ASIC/GPU RESISTANCE was NEVER PROMISED by LITECOIN. Only new retarded miners kept repeating this mantra, trying to make it true.

What a dead coin, I've never seen a coin more dead than litecoin.

OH WAIT:

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/assets/difficulty/litecoin-hash_rate-all.png?1406804708
okbit

Activity: 259

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:31:31 PM

With all the new alts out there, what does LTC have to offer? What is it's reason for being?
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:31:21 PM

With all the new alts out there, what does LTC have to offer? What is it's reason for being?

I'm not holding any LTC right now, but I will say it has a few things going for it:
Huge Hash rate (but with ASICs coming out in full force and this early in the emission curve, that might be a bit dangerous in a centralized way)
Charlie Lee behind it - Family connections, might be able to help implementation
Most have heard of it who know about Cryptos, still relatively inexpensive.

That was off the top of my head, once big money starts moving into any alt, it will have a self fulfilling prophecy though. They will decide imo, at least short to mid term.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:44:45 PM

Then it was a fundamental misconception about proof-of-work-based consensus blockchain systems that tripped you up. None of Litecoin's tweaks (conf time, supply, mining alg) offer any real benefit over bitcoin. They're all just irrelevant tradeoffs. Faster confs yield a chain that re-orgs more, so you need more confs to be as secure; supply magnitude is not relevant at all given divisibility; and mining algs all converge to the same long-run least-cost-producer dynamics.

Forgive me, but Litecoin was attractive to a lot of people who didn't really think things through, and were primarily letting the "hey, maybe I didn't miss *this* boat!" mentality get in the way of thinking deeply about why a coin like Litecoin should or should not retain long-run value relative to bitcoin.

It's a shame that it's taken this rash of new coins to make people realize that Litecoin ultimately doesn't offer very much to the crypto-ecosystem, but so be it.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:13:05 PM

Do you buy into every new alt that comes out ? Most of the shiny new coins are polished turds with the same bunch of greedy devs that simply want your $.

Bitrated user: Mick.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:19:06 PM

Then it was a fundamental misconception about proof-of-work-based consensus blockchain systems that tripped you up. None of Litecoin's tweaks (conf time, supply, mining alg) offer any real benefit over bitcoin. They're all just irrelevant tradeoffs. Faster confs yield a chain that re-orgs more, so you need more confs to be as secure; supply magnitude is not relevant at all given divisibility; and mining algs all converge to the same long-run least-cost-producer dynamics.

Forgive me, but Litecoin was attractive to a lot of people who didn't really think things through, and were primarily letting the "hey, maybe I didn't miss *this* boat!" mentality get in the way of thinking deeply about why a coin like Litecoin should or should not retain long-run value relative to bitcoin.

It's a shame that it's taken this rash of new coins to make people realize that Litecoin ultimately doesn't offer very much to the crypto-ecosystem, but so be it.

I think you're wrong. These things are supposed to function as currencies. For someone who considers one confirmation sufficient for a regular sized transaction a short block time is much, much better than the incredibly slow configuration of Bitcoin. Waiting 40 minutes or even an hour for a confirmation is not acceptable when there are faster alternatives.

Yes, if you're buying a house you might still want to wait the same total amount of time to feel 100% secure against double spends. And yes, hashes will be wasted and blocks will be orphaned. But these things are supposed to be currencies. Currencies that are used every day to buy groceries, and pay your internet bill. One confirmation is sufficient for any transaction that's not large enough that you'll want to take extra measures.
joe 90

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 06:39:48 PM

If you are using these things as currencies, then they ideally need to be as fast, or faster than debit cards. People in queues start blowing fuses if someone in front of them pays with a debit card, and it takes longer than a minute to confirm the transaction.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:23:38 PM

I think you're wrong.

K. I'm not.

These things are supposed to function as currencies. For someone who considers one confirmation sufficient for a regular sized transaction a short block time is much, much better than the incredibly slow configuration of Bitcoin. Waiting 40 minutes or even an hour for a confirmation is not acceptable when there are faster alternatives.

Yes, if you're buying a house you might still want to wait the same total amount of time to feel 100% secure against double spends. And yes, hashes will be wasted and blocks will be orphaned. But these things are supposed to be currencies. Currencies that are used every day to buy groceries, and pay your internet bill. One confirmation is sufficient for any transaction that's not large enough that you'll want to take extra measures.

By that logic, 0-conf is also fine for day-to-day transactions, and indeed that's what every physical btc-accepting retailer I've ever used does. I don't see a rash of double-spends against coffee shops as particularly likely.

As to litecoin specifically, there's essentially no use-case where a statistical 2.5min avg conf is acceptable but a statistical 10min avg conf is not.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:09:50 AM

I think you're wrong.

K. I'm not.

These things are supposed to function as currencies. For someone who considers one confirmation sufficient for a regular sized transaction a short block time is much, much better than the incredibly slow configuration of Bitcoin. Waiting 40 minutes or even an hour for a confirmation is not acceptable when there are faster alternatives.

By that logic, 0-conf is also fine for day-to-day transactions, and indeed that's what every physical btc-accepting retailer I've ever used does. I don't see a rash of double-spends against coffee shops as particularly likely.

As to litecoin specifically, there's essentially no use-case where a statistical 2.5min avg conf is acceptable but a statistical 10min avg conf is not.

No, because 0 conf transactions are susceptible to a whole other category of double spend attacks. (Race attacks, Finney attacks ect.)

And yes, the use case is when 1 confirmation is considered acceptable. Which is the case in a very large amount of transactions.

There are lots of transactions that are going to be fine on 0 confirmations. But I've waited countless times up to an hour for many transactions to complete that only require one confirmation.

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:23:05 AM

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 07:27:09 AM

Measuring performance by month is for pump-n-dump kind of trading, isn't it?
thecast

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 12:39:23 PM

So who will take LTC place?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 160 »
  Print  

Jump to: