Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:50:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Armory - Weapon Marketplace  (Read 60517 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 07:04:19 PM

Yeah. And the UK has no gun crime because of it... oh wait... it's gone UP since the ban.

In my home country (not UK) less than 4% of the population owns a gun and I actually feel safer than I ever would/did in the USA...
And guess what, criminals around here typically also don't carry guns!

Just to be clear here, I've been to the military as well and loved to handle guns there - still I would only in very rare circumstances ever consider of buying a gun myself.
How about another statistic to make you feel safe?  You are more likely to get stabbed in the UK than shot in the US. Guns aren't the problem; people are.

Out of curiosity, where are you from?

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 11:26:58 PM

How about another statistic to make you feel safe?  You are more likely to get stabbed in the UK than shot in the US. Guns aren't the problem; people are.
Murder rate per capita is still 3x higher in the US
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 12:20:37 AM

How about another statistic to make you feel safe?  You are more likely to get stabbed in the UK than shot in the US. Guns aren't the problem; people are.
Murder rate per capita is still 3x higher in the US

Not where concealed firearm permits are handed out like candy canes. The only reason we have a high murder rate in Las Vegas is due to the Police and their mandatory paid vacations. 8D

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 02:11:39 PM

I'm surprised to see so many people opposing the Armory. Bitcoin facilitates anonymous commerce - what did you THINK would happen? Uglier things than this are already inevitable.

If you don't support the right to buy guns/drugs/whatever like this, but DO support the right to keep a secret on your computer, you should consider that these opinions might contradict.
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 02:15:39 PM

Bitcoins don't cause murder, corruption, and immorality. People do.

stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 02:16:29 PM

I'm surprised to see so many people opposing the Armory. Bitcoin facilitates anonymous commerce - what did you THINK would happen? Uglier things than this are already inevitable.

If you don't support the right to buy guns/drugs/whatever like this, but DO support the right to keep a secret on your computer, you should consider that these opinions might contradict.

With regard to firearms issues you'll find that the anti-gun groups are generally louder than the pro-gun groups.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 03:54:41 PM

...snip...

Quote from: 2nd amendment
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The people who make laws that violate the above are the criminals.  Grin

Its funny - the purpose of the militia is to defend against armies.  That means you need surface to air missiles, tanks, artillery and the like.  Yet all you guys are allowed are firearms, which while marginally better than slings and crossbows, are useless against modern armies.
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 05:19:52 PM

Its funny - the purpose of the militia is to defend against armies.  That means you need surface to air missiles, tanks, artillery and the like.  Yet all you guys are allowed are firearms, which while marginally better than slings and crossbows, are useless against modern armies.

You cannot invade America - there will be a rifle behind every blade of grass. - Japan (misattributed)

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 06:25:32 PM

With regard to firearms issues you'll find that the anti-gun groups are generally louder than the pro-gun groups.
I dunno about that. The NRA is pretty loud.

stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 06:36:22 PM

I dunno about that. The NRA is pretty loud.

I meant on message boards.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 10:24:58 PM

This site has serious privacy issues, it's bugged like hell. I can see all kinds of orders from other people... including name and address...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 01:11:43 AM

This site has serious privacy issues, it's bugged like hell. I can see all kinds of orders from other people... including name and address...

hey cool, I'm going to send them all a free sample of my latest prototype, 100 BTC for the activation code with 9.66% LEO discounts

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:12:28 AM

Yeah. And the UK has no gun crime because of it... oh wait... it's gone UP since the ban.

In my home country (not UK) less than 4% of the population owns a gun and I actually feel safer than I ever would/did in the USA...
And guess what, criminals around here typically also don't carry guns!

Just to be clear here, I've been to the military as well and loved to handle guns there - still I would only in very rare circumstances ever consider of buying a gun myself.

its a false sense of security (last i checked which was a few years ago).  per capita, the UK has just slight HIGHER rates of murder.

dead is dead.  doesn't matter if its a gun or a knife that does it to you.

i own a gun.  i view it as an insurance policy.  i hope i never need it, but i'll be glad i have it if god forbid i ever do.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 10:22:19 PM

its a false sense of security (last i checked which was a few years ago).  per capita, the UK has just slight HIGHER rates of murder.
The US has always been higher.  The most recent numbers have 4.8 (US) to 1.23 (UK) per 100,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

triplehelix

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 10:37:57 PM

its a false sense of security (last i checked which was a few years ago).  per capita, the UK has just slight HIGHER rates of murder.
The US has always been higher.  The most recent numbers have 4.8 (US) to 1.23 (UK) per 100,000

i remember i was using nationmaster.com.  i think it was just before i got married, so maybe 7-8 years ago, but definitely showed the UK around the same level as the US, with a small decimal place putting it just higher of the two.

EDIT: just went back to see if i could dig it up, and the site has changed a bit, and the UK seems to be missing from some relevant stat pages.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 10:48:18 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 11:04:36 PM by Otoh

its a false sense of security (last i checked which was a few years ago).  per capita, the UK has just slight HIGHER rates of murder.
The US has always been higher.  The most recent numbers have 4.8 (US) to 1.23 (UK) per 100,000

triplehelix - ur tripping dood, everyone knows US>UK for that since forever & nearly 4 times > WTG gunslingers on ur "just slight HIGHER rates of murder" lol

edit: guessing that the UK murder rates may have increased in the last few years, don't think that it was so PolPot before that though compared to the US, 3.9% difference doesn't make this possible & before it was maybe more on your end, like 5% or 6% more

Edit: plus your state (country) tops more peeps than most in the world WTG death penalty, not to mention incarcerating another crazy % more than most of the world finds necessary

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
triplehelix

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 10:54:59 PM

further digging and i think the stat i had looked at back then, was not murders, but assaults with a deadly weapon (knife and gun specifically).  which is possibly the more relevant stat as we are talking about overall safety.

this guy is a to angry for my taste, but he breaks it down along the lines of the info i must be recalling:

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

relevant bit:

In or about 2006, there were about 60 million (actually closer to 58M, but we'll use the rounded-up number to be kind to hopolophobes) people in the UK as a whole, including Scotland.

In England and Wales alone — discounting Scotland — there were over 163 thousand knife crimes.

By the end of 2006, there were more than 300 million people in the US as a whole.

In the US as a whole, there were fewer than 400 thousand gun crimes.

In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).

In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people — less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).

That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US.

and that appears to be discounting scotland, which has a far higher rate of crimes committed with a knife if i recall.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:01:54 PM

triplehelix - ur tripping dood, everyone knows US>UK for that since forever & nearly 4 times > WTG gunslingers on ur "just slight HIGHER rates of murder" lol

edit: guessing that the UK murder rates may have increased in the last few years, don't think that it was so PolPot before that though compared to the US, 3.9% difference doesn't make this possible & before it was maybe more on your end, like 5% or 6% more

If the point of this debate is that more gun laws = less crime, then you lose, Otoh. Mexico has much stricter gun laws than the USA, and rates of homicide are 300% higher in Mexico. Mexico did not allow any right to bear arms until 1917. Still severely restricted today. See here: https://davekopel.org/Espanol/Mexican-Gun-Laws.htm
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 11:05:22 PM

If the point of this debate is that more gun laws = less crime, then you lose, Otoh. Mexico has much stricter gun laws than the USA, and rates of homicide are 300% higher in Mexico. Mexico did not allow any right to bear arms until 1917. Still severely restricted today. See here: https://davekopel.org/Espanol/Mexican-Gun-Laws.htm

The US also sold a bunch of guns to the drug dealers in Mexico, so I'm sure that helps... sigh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 11:07:48 PM

...snip...

Quote from: 2nd amendment
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The people who make laws that violate the above are the criminals.  Grin

Its funny - the purpose of the militia is to defend against armies.  That means you need surface to air missiles, tanks, artillery and the like.  Yet all you guys are allowed are firearms, which while marginally better than slings and crossbows, are useless against modern armies.

That just means relaxed gun laws is NOT ENOUGH when deciding how much liberty is within the people's rights. Remember, the American constitution was written long before we had tanks, missiles and accurate artillery.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: