Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:39:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DIY] - Reward $100 | Antminer S1/S3 Blade on Raspberry Pi  (Read 81923 times)
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 02:20:33 PM

I have only 4 blades and 2 cp2102 (I have bought them per $8 per piece) just now but already purchased 2 more (about $2,6 per piece).
What is much more important I think is to solve how to get proper information about how chips are running, about their status "x" or "o" and temperature. Have You any idea how to do it? In original S1 unit there is kernel module which very probably does it, send that info into some virtual device where cgi-bin script is reading it. But depends on if those informations are there where we are connected now or if there is need to attach another pin of the blabe.

the original version from bitmain get the temp info when they read the last calculated hash, i will need to see if there is more info hiding in the data that we recieve from the blade, or if it was something the pic handled on the control board.

in regard to timing:

this is how ive learned the chips do their magic, you send the data to the chip, and just before it is done calculating the hash, the chip needs to get a cancel order, then read the hash, so, if your too fast with the timing, you cancel unfinshed calculations, if your too slow, it sits and wait for new orders... theirfor timing needs to be correct.

This is the way I understand it.
1. the temp is read from the board via a pin (the temp sensor is that chip in the middle of the board). It has been mentioned in this thread what pin number this is, and as far as I can recall, the proto-board can read this too. Some chips also return their temperature individually, but I am not sure the BM1380 does this, or whether the board has been equiped to be able to read the chip temp.
2. when hashing, there is a sequence of events.
  • initialise the board with the frequency you choose to run the chips at. This sets the speed at which each chip will hash and therefore you can tell (the manufacturers of the chip) how long it will take to compute the nonce, thus the timeout.
  • in the initialisation, you also have a timeout number (in miliseconds / seconds Huh) which should be kept by the software.
  • send the nonce to be searched by the chip, take note of the time sent and await a result within the timeout period. A result could be found before the alloted timespan and returned, else the chip(s) will sit idle after that.
  • if a result is returned, the software then checks whether the size of the result matches (or exceeds) the difficulty requested (diff) by the pool and then sends it on to the pool, else it is trashed.
EDIT:
3. HW errors occur when the chip fails to return a value which can be caused by either a reall HW error (e.g over-heat) or when the timeout is set low and the chip does not get a chance to finish the search and return a value. Again, the software that sends work to the chips monitors this (aka count them out and count them in!)

from driver-bmsc.c:

// Bmsc doesn't send a completion message when it finishes
// the full nonce range, so to avoid being idle we must abort the
// work (by starting a new work item) shortly before it finishes
//
// Thus we need to estimate 2 things:
//      1) How many hashes were done if the work was aborted
//      2) How high can the timeout be before the Bmsc is idle,
//              to minimise the number of work items started
//      We set 2) to 'the calculated estimate' - BMSC_READ_REDUCE
//      to ensure the estimate ends before idle
//
// The simple calculation used is:
//      Tn = Total time in seconds to calculate n hashes
//      Hs = seconds per hash
//      Xn = number of hashes
//      W  = code/usb overhead per work
//
// Rough but reasonable estimate:
//      Tn = Hs * Xn + W        (of the form y = mx + b)
//
// Thus:
// Thus:
//      Line of best fit (using least squares)
//
//      Hs = (n*Sum(XiTi)-Sum(Xi)*Sum(Ti))/(n*Sum(Xi^2)-Sum(Xi)^2)
//      W = Sum(Ti)/n - (Hs*Sum(Xi))/n
//
// N.B. W is less when aborting work since we aren't waiting for the reply
//      to be transferred back (BMSC_READ_TIME)
//      Calculating the hashes aborted at n seconds is thus just n/Hs
//      (though this is still a slight overestimate due to code delays)
//

// Both below must be exceeded to complete a set of data
// Minimum how long after the first, the last data point must be
#define HISTORY_SEC 60
// Minimum how many points a single BMSC_HISTORY should have
#define MIN_DATA_COUNT 5
// The value MIN_DATA_COUNT used is doubled each history until it exceeds:
#define MAX_MIN_DATA_COUNT 100

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
mstrongbow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

3D Printed!

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 05:27:57 PM

Has anyone thought of using a BusPirate to pull the info from the original Bitmaintech Antminer controller?
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate

Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com       Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets        Provably Fair   
*Got LootCrate?*
*My Stuff For Sale thread/s*   www.CryptoCause.org   Ask me about SEGMining Hosting!
"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible" - Edwin Land
idonothave

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:08:25 PM

Has anyone thought of using a BusPirate to pull the info from the original Bitmaintech Antminer controller?

it is first time I see it Smiley but it has one UART so it should serve at least one blade Smiley in that case it is quite expensive solution
better to make (buy) usb hub with 2 or more cp2102 and put it into Rapsberry, it should work
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2014, 07:10:41 PM

it is first time I see it Smiley but it has one UART so it should serve at least one blade Smiley in that case it is quite expensive solution
better to make (buy) usb hub with 2 or more cp2102 and put it into Rapsberry, it should work

its for analysing the data going to and from the blade

CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 12:51:33 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2014, 04:25:40 PM by CHAOSiTEC

added xtranonce subscribe support to cgminer version on github:

https://github.com/FireWalkerX/cgminer-bmsc.git

(used at fx, nicehash/westhash)

(2 blades running 200 MHz)

CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 08:34:55 PM

Well, ran out of cp2102 usbs

edit: now stable at 252 GHs
315 Watt / 252 GHs = 1.25 W/GH

idonothave

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 08:43:08 PM

wow

edit: I suppose it is without any cooler
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 08:55:57 PM

wow

i have a fan, and that helped, but im adding an extra just in case

edit:

picture:

Still have 15 boards left...

J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 09:05:52 PM

Your prototype will be posted on wednesday. tomorrow will be bank holidays for end of WW1.
I had a look at a few things regarding the hardware of the blades.
Each chip have an address defined on 8 pins.
each board will have the following addresses:
00-08
10-18
20-28
F0-F8
Linking both boards in serial shouldn't work since there will be 2 chips with the same address.
And I'm not sure parallel would work for the same reason.
If I understand correctly, the chips aren't pushing the results but are waiting for the result to be read from them.
if you ask for chip A8 result, you will have 2 results returned, and I'm no sure it will be something readable by software or some random garbage mixed from both chips.
Initializing the chips might not work for the same reason, since you are expecting an answer from the chips.

I've just received a few parts to move on next step and work on the 8 hashing boards controller.
I'll also soon be able to make my own fine pitch mylar stencils. It will make the soldering job way easier.

Next on my worklist, something else related to the antminers. (sub 0.9w/GH at the wall on first gen chips)

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 09:11:46 PM

Your prototype will be posted on wednesday. tomorrow will be bank holidays for end of WW1.
Awesome :-p

I had a look at a few things regarding the hardware of the blades.
Each chip have an address defined on 8 pins.
each board will have the following addresses:
00-08
10-18
20-28
F0-F8
Linking both boards in serial shouldn't work since there will be 2 chips with the same address.
And I'm not sure parallel would work for the same reason.
If I understand correctly, the chips aren't pushing the results but are waiting for the result to be read from them.
if you ask for chip A8 result, you will have 2 results returned, and I'm no sure it will be something readable by software or some random garbage mixed from both chips.
Initializing the chips might not work for the same reason, since you are expecting an answer from the chips.

I get them to initialize, and it reports 64 chips, but the test, where it sends a known nonce to the chips for testing, only results in timeout, so for me, thats a dead end street..

I've just received a few parts to move on next step and work on the 8 hashing boards controller.
I'll also soon be able to make my own fine pitch mylar stencils. It will make the soldering job way easier.

Perfect :-)

Next on my worklist, something else related to the antminers. (sub 0.9w/GH at the wall on first gen chips)

my tests i have pushed them down to 1.1 watt/GH on the wall, and the chips are running with 0.74 - 0.79 v but im currious to see what you have in mind :-p

idonothave

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:05:13 PM

wow

i have a fan, and that helped, but im adding an extra just in case

edit:

picture:

Still have 15 boards left...

Temperature 32°F it is reality?
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:10:02 PM

Temperature 32°F it is reality?

Nope, it reports 0 degrees because it cannot measure temperature

im guessing my boards are running at aprox 45 with the 2 fans

HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:11:13 PM

I have four boards (boards only) from the late 2013 batch. (will check the version at home) I will modify them with 10K adjustable Pot, this week.

Should be able to test many Volt/Clock settings once i can connect them to my PC. (I don't have any CP2102 interface).

I will stack them as ChoasiTec did. great idea ! Cheesy

Once i have a stable setup, i will change my last 4 blades (which are full S1 miner atm).

Can't wait for the control board !
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:16:42 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2014, 10:31:00 PM by CHAOSiTEC

I have four boards (boards only) from the late 2013 batch. (will check the version at home) I will modify them with 10K adjustable Pot, this week.

Should be able to test many Volt/Clock settings once i can connect them to my PC. (I don't have any CP2102 interface).

I will stack them as ChoasiTec did. great idea ! Cheesy

Once i have a stable setup, i will change my last 4 blades (which are full S1 miner atm).

Can't wait for the control board !

ive order 80 10k pots :-p had the same idea, and since i have 20 boards :-p (I want to be able to set the chip volt at exact voltage instead of pencil mod which is aproximate)

i also have a server case 4U hight, thats where i want to put them all in, including psu, and rpi :-)

luckypyrate

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 10:20:03 PM

I saw this thread when it first came out but I was still actively using my S1s.  I just ordered the upgrades and now I want in on this project.  Reward or not, this is an amazing opportunity to revitalize old tech!  Very impressed with what I see so far.  If I can assist anyone in materials or other support feel free to email me here or at my email on my profile.  I have a ton of hardware experience but am admittedly a dunce when it comes to hardware programming.  Once you get to the linux side of things I am good to go,but chip level stuff...I am a chimp.

Life is too serious to be taken seriously
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

I saw this thread when it first came out but I was still actively using my S1s.  I just ordered the upgrades and now I want in on this project.  Reward or not, this is an amazing opportunity to revitalize old tech!  Very impressed with what I see so far.  If I can assist anyone in materials or other support feel free to email me here or at my email on my profile.  I have a ton of hardware experience but am admittedly a dunce when it comes to hardware programming.  Once you get to the linux side of things I am good to go,but chip level stuff...I am a chimp.

welcome :-)

my experience isnt that big either, but its just a matter of try try :-p

luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 12:35:00 AM

thanks!  i really like your idea with the spacers.  Where did you find all those?

CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 12:47:23 AM

thanks!  i really like your idea with the spacers.  Where did you find all those?

i found them here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6261180047.html

edit: Keep in mind these boards are undervolted to 0.74v - 0.79v and without headsinks they will get hot, but the 2 fans keep them at aprox 45 degrees celcius

luckypyrate

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 01:08:26 AM

Yeah I could tell you had them under volted from the specs you posted.  I had heat sinks I ordered from eBay on my first antminer and they kept falling off from the heat.  I guess this won't be an issue with the blades at a horizontal flat posture.  I also noticed your heatsinks were black where mine were silver...where did you get those?  I found a guy on ebay who has high performance 120 mm fans for $15 on ebay.  I used those for the secondary fans on the standard s1 configuration.  I also found this case wall with about 9 fans on it that are powered with a standard pc power cord. I disassembled it so the fans were loose and took off a couple fans that had warped ball bearings.  Worked out great...as long as my miners were stacked close together which I wasn't a fan of (no pun intended haha).  How many  do you plan to  stack together ?

CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 01:19:27 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2014, 02:10:50 AM by CHAOSiTEC

Yeah I could tell you had them under volted from the specs you posted.  I had heat sinks I ordered from eBay on my first antminer and they kept falling off from the heat.  I guess this won't be an issue with the blades at a horizontal flat posture.  I also noticed your heatsinks were black where mine were silver...where did you get those?  I found a guy on ebay who has high performance 120 mm fans for $15 on ebay.  I used those for the secondary fans on the standard s1 configuration.  I also found this case wall with about 9 fans on it that are powered with a standard pc power cord. I disassembled it so the fans were loose and took off a couple fans that had warped ball bearings.  Worked out great...as long as my miners were stacked close together which I wasn't a fan of (no pun intended haha).  How many  do you plan to  stack together ?

the heatsinks i got from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6082979423.html

but i only have it on 4 blades ( 3 in the current setup in the picture)

the rest 16 blades are without any heatsinks

edit:

im going to try and put them all inside a 4u server case with rpi and power supply and all :-p wish me luck :-p

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: