Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:30:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: scammed when selling bitcoins on ebay  (Read 10557 times)
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 03:30:09 AM

The trick to selling bitcoins on eBay is to sell a physical product (that you can track) and slip-in a paper bitcoin(s) at no charge.  Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160771756692

That way you have ammunition if buyer disputes/charges-back.

The buyer will file a item-not-as-described, and eBay will tell them to mail back the item. When the buyer mails back a package with a tracking number showing something was returned, regardless of whether they returned an empty box, a rock, or a piece of paper with a now-empty bitcoin address, the scam buyer gets their refund.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xmufa23X

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 05:34:12 AM

I got suspended for selling paperclips with free bitcoins 2 days ago, and yes i sent the damn clips with a tracking number. They want all kind of documents to re-enable my account. I had only positive votes with them but the fees are killing me so i think i will pass doing something about it. They will get to know bitcoin in the end.
Ahh, so are you the guy that stole my paperclip idea? I've never seen it done before, so I thought I'd give it a try with 5BTC+Paperclip. About a week later a couple of auctions using the same stainless steel paperclip, and even copy/pasted text, showed up. Hilarious that I get to meet the guy that stole me idea. Cheesy
amexpay

Activity: 70
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 07:33:48 AM

Never EVER buy virtual currency on ebay!!
Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 07:41:04 AM

One time, in the past, I tried to buy New Zealand on ebay... I was outbid very quickly...

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 09:48:49 AM

I got suspended for selling paperclips with free bitcoins 2 days ago, and yes i sent the damn clips with a tracking number. They want all kind of documents to re-enable my account. I had only positive votes with them but the fees are killing me so i think i will pass doing something about it. They will get to know bitcoin in the end.
Ahh, so are you the guy that stole my paperclip idea? I've never seen it done before, so I thought I'd give it a try with 5BTC+Paperclip. About a week later a couple of auctions using the same stainless steel paperclip, and even copy/pasted text, showed up. Hilarious that I get to meet the guy that stole me idea. Cheesy

haha, the copyright is yours i just used it without change because they were perfect. Should start pouring paperclips or personal autographs on ebay with free bitcoins so they find out what the free market is. They trowed their TOS at me a few times without specifying clearly why the suspension, say it's a routine check.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Xmufa23X

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 08:28:12 PM

haha, the copyright is yours i just used it without change because they were perfect. Should start pouring paperclips or personal autographs on ebay with free bitcoins so they find out what the free market is. They trowed their TOS at me a few times without specifying clearly why the suspension, say it's a routine check.
Yeah, I actually only did that one auction with the paperclip, then stopped because I ended up getting scammed on it. I called up Paypal, and they were actually pretty cool about it. I figured it was a hacked Paypal/Ebay account that bought the coins from me to begin with, and he confirmed that.

I had a pretty good chat with him for 20 minutes wondering when they would support Bitcoins, and other forms of electronics goods. I told him that at the rate goods are becoming "digitalized", that Ebay/Paypal will be at an extreme loss if they don't join in on the market. If they can't protect Sellers, then they will end up selling elsewhere instead of Ebay. He agreed with me, released the funds ($50), and even gave me tips on selling electronic goods and Bitcoins on Ebay. Totally not bullshitting.

Dunno why everyone hates Paypal so much. If you call them up with this mentality:
"Hurr Derr, Bitcoinz are soo cool and hipster! Paypal sucks balls and you guise should give me my monies back or I'll call teh cyber police on yo bitch asses!!!!"

Then yeah, what comes around goes around.
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 04:35:12 PM

Paperclips are not nearly transparent enough.  Any human that reviews your auction/sale will immediately see you're trying to bypass the rules.

The blu-ray (or other small tangible item) is much better because it moves the bitcoin to the secondary ("gift") position.  You're selling the small tangible item (not something silly like a paperclip) and makes the btc free.  If the scammer wants to dispute the sale he/she has to dispute the physical item.

Exactly.

If you've decided to take the risk and sell on eBay, then you may be better off using an inexpensive physical container for the Bitcoins such as:
CD / Floppy Disk / SD Card / USB Drive.

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
Melt_Down

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 05:58:34 PM

isn't the record in the bitchain prove of delivery?
ofcourse he should have told you his bitcoinadress by "ebay mail"
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 01:15:57 PM

PayPal is notorious for being easily duped when dealing with disputes.
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:36:12 PM

Isn't Paypal owned by Ebay, and Ebay owned/partly owned by the US Gov?

Bitcoin + (Ebay | Paypal) = playing with fire.

Individuals on the help lines might be very nice about Bitcoin burns, but I doubt that's the official policy.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 03:49:08 PM

Paypal is a scam.

Exactly this. Paypal isn't slightly dodgy, it's not just that some people got on the wrong side of them, it's a long con to extract cash from people.

They have locked and kept the funds of a very large number of legitimate people including charity funds.

If you deal with paypal they will rob you. It's just a matter of time.
R-

Pasta

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 04:30:32 PM

Never EVER buy virtual currency on ebay!!
I think the moral of the story is ever SELL a virtual currency on eBay.

Robert
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:49:51 PM

PayPal is not a scam.  You just have to play entirely by it's (sometimes extremely frustrating) rules.

Just like Bitcoin they have their protocol in place. The ones that don't follow the protocol get orphaned and rejected. Simple as that.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2012, 10:07:47 PM

PayPal is not a scam.  You just have to play entirely by it's (sometimes extremely frustrating) rules.

Just like Bitcoin they have their protocol in place. The ones that don't follow the protocol get orphaned and rejected. Simple as that.

true, true, great words hmm, we should try a 51% on them ?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 11:22:57 PM

good luck getting 51% of the copyrights and payment volume
none of them should be impossible but the price tag is ... challenging

Why buy when you can FORK?

I hereby present: PwnPal*
  • A commercial wrapper for Bitcoin.
  • Ridiculous fees.
  • Nominal customer service.
  • And one thing sure to put a smile on merchants' faces: no chargeback!

*If symptoms persist, please see your doctor.
markus

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 01:57:43 PM

Paypal is a scam.

Exactly this. Paypal isn't slightly dodgy, it's not just that some people got on the wrong side of them, it's a long con to extract cash from people.

They have locked and kept the funds of a very large number of legitimate people including charity funds.

+1

They'll lock your account just for receiving too much money...

I wonder if they make more money from fees or from keeping funds.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 01, 2012, 03:02:36 PM

Paypal is a scam.

+1

They'll lock your account just for receiving too much money...

I wonder if they make more money from fees or from keeping funds.

Your post just shows the utter ignorance most people have about Paypal.

They don't keep the money. At most they freeze it for 180 days, in case they close the account. After those 180 days they just send a check with the account balance to the address that the user registered with them.
If then user gave them a fake address and never get the check because of it is another matter.
If you're doing serious business why would you lie to them about your address in the first place?
Xmufa23X

View Profile
April 02, 2012, 01:48:07 AM

ITT: Paypal is the devil! Hurr derr!

Roll Eyes
cliffbtc

Activity: 40

View Profile
April 05, 2012, 02:23:15 AM

It's against paypal terms of service to trade bitcoin on there. Sad to say  you don't really have a case, I would just cut your loses and not use paypal/ebay in the future.
R-

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 09:58:50 AM

If then user gave them a fake address and never get the check because of it is another matter.
If you're doing serious business why would you lie to them about your address in the first place?

Exactly. Most of the people complaining about PayPal are under the age of 18. They clearly state in their TOS that you must be older than 18 years old. If you are using a fake address, there is probably a good reason for it (read: BAD REASON), and that is why PayPal will limit your account.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: