Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:18:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Linode and the law.  (Read 3772 times)
MaxSan (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:06:50 AM

Im sorry if this has already been covered else where. Will those who lost substantial amounts at Linode fiasco be forwarding legal proceedings against them?

Im going to the shop so wont respond for a while but im very curious as to what peoples stance is on this.

I personally feel that this is certainly court worthy. Looking forward to hearing all your views.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:40:38 AM

From what I heard, 8 customers lost their bitcoins. I assume Bitcoinica lost the most. 43K BTC is a lot of money to lose. If I lost that amount of money, I'd certainly get law enforcement on the case. But it's important to act quickly, while the leads are still hot. Linode's reputation is already suffering and I think it would be in their best interest to be upfront about what really happened. And I still think the insider theory is a good one..
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:05:41 PM

Im sorry if this has already been covered else where. Will those who lost substantial amounts at Linode fiasco be forwarding legal proceedings against them?

Im going to the shop so wont respond for a while but im very curious as to what peoples stance is on this.

I personally feel that this is certainly court worthy. Looking forward to hearing all your views.

This is the hottest topic in the forum for 2 days. Please, just look at the most recent threads and post there...

From what I heard, 8 customers lost their bitcoins. I assume Bitcoinica lost the most. 43K BTC is a lot of money to lose. If I lost that amount of money, I'd certainly get law enforcement on the case. But it's important to act quickly, while the leads are still hot. Linode's reputation is already suffering and I think it would be in their best interest to be upfront about what really happened. And I still think the insider theory is a good one..

Actually the only crime here was the unauthorised access and modification of VPS accounts. BTC are not legal tender/currency and Linode already covers up to whatever the hosting costs they are paying... which is very little because Linode is cheap.

The only reference we have is past litigation over online credits in Everquest, Eve Online, World of Warcraft, Facebook, Farmville and the like.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:18:41 PM

Wait, so they lost ~$250k US, and have at least another $250k stashed somewhere else since Z said he was covering it. Ok that means they had at least $500k on hand, and they lost the bitcoins they did because they were on a cheap linux vps?? They couldn't afford their own server??? WTF?

Those coins weren't stolen. They were given away.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:20:33 PM

Actually the only crime here was the unauthorised access and modification of VPS accounts. BTC are not legal tender/currency and Linode already covers up to whatever the hosting costs they are paying... which is very little because Linode is cheap.

I don't have any reference at the moment, but I read somewhere that if anything worth a certain amount of money is stolen, it's considered a serious matter by law enforcement, even though it's not directly classified as anything. But I'm no lawyer, so don't take my words for granted.
MaxSan (OP)

Activity: 369

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:30:46 PM

I don't have any reference at the moment, but I read somewhere that if anything worth a certain amount of money is stolen, it's considered a serious matter by law enforcement, even though it's not directly classified as anything. But I'm no lawyer, so don't take my words for granted.

I would think this to be the situation also. If i have piece of equipment that is worth x amount of money and its stolen its still theft. no matter hwo you look at it..

reminds of the would you steel a car piirate campaign. if thats illegal, this CERTAINLY must be.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:56:27 PM

I would think this to be the situation also. If i have piece of equipment that is worth x amount of money and its stolen its still theft. no matter hwo you look at it..

reminds of the would you steel a car piirate campaign. if thats illegal, this CERTAINLY must be.
+1

goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:47:30 PM

It's funny to observe people who didn't lose any money urge Zhoutong to put a legal blame on somebody other than himself or the perpetrator. While he chooses not to.

IMO at 17 (or so) years he seems to be more farsighted than most, and more
vigilant at playing the game according to new rules, probably knowing that the future value of his business heavily outweighs an initial loss of $250,000.

If lawyers didn't exist they wouldn't be necessary.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:47:46 PM

Within the bitcoin economy it's obviously equivalent to stealing money, however this "worth x" is only assuming the judge will recognise whatever MtGox or any other exchange valuation provides as official value.

If I give you 10 BTC just for laughs then the cost for you was 0. To consider them "worth X" is giving exchanges valuation legal status, regardless the fact that they pretty much can be sold for the price quoted in the their "bid" column at a particular time (not so much 50K BTC though, if you put them all for sale at once you'd be betting significantly less).

I have no doubts that this is criminal behaviour but AFAIK we have no precedent of stolen BTC being given the same status as stolen government backed fiat currency, and being valued whatever the exchanges were quoting at the moment of the stealing. That would be massive news for bitcoin IMO. The point was that one has to go to the police and be careful with the terms used because if I go and say "robbery of items valued X US$" then that can be challenged. Every single word can and is challenged by lawyers.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:15:55 PM

Suppose someone persuades the courts to force Linode to pay the $200,000 that was lost. What happens next? Hosting for BTC becomes unaffordable, because service providers need to charge enough to cover the possibility of big losses. Oh, and lawyers pocket much of the $200,000.

Suppose no-one takes this through the courts. Cheap hosting remains available for BTC businesses, and those BTC businesses beef up their security.

Which is the better outcome?
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:18:42 PM

It's funny to observe people who didn't lose any money urge Zhoutong to put a legal blame on somebody other than himself or the perpetrator. While he chooses not to.

From an ethical standpoint I think he accepts the responsibility for managing the security of his wallet.  In that light, I view his response not just as farsighted, but mature.

Also, from a purely pragmatic perspective, he has nothing to gain from a lawsuit.  He's running a very successful business and taking time off of that to fly to the US and spend a couple weeks blowing money on hotels and lawyers would be foolish.  I could easily see such a case taking weeks since he'd have to spend a lot of time explaining first to his lawyers, then to the courts, why this data was so valuable and why just getting it restored from backups isn't a remedy.

That would not be a fun vacation, and honestly, I think he'll make more money just focusing on what he does best: running an innovative and successful trading platform.  Looking at a longer term, he's also a student, and taking time off of his education won't help him with whatever his long term goals are.  I expect we'll see more interesting things out of him in the future, and I don't expect them to be in the legal system.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Koekiemonster

Activity: 321

Bitbuy.nl!

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:19:03 PM

Within the bitcoin economy it's obviously equivalent to stealing money, however this "worth x" is only assuming the judge will recognise whatever MtGox or any other exchange valuation provides as official value.

If I give you 10 BTC just for laughs then the cost for you was 0. To consider them "worth X" is giving exchanges valuation legal status, regardless the fact that they pretty much can be sold for the price quoted in the their "bid" column at a particular time (not so much 50K BTC though, if you put them all for sale at once you'd be betting significantly less).

I have no doubts that this is criminal behaviour but AFAIK we have no precedent of stolen BTC being given the same status as stolen government backed fiat currency, and being valued whatever the exchanges were quoting at the moment of the stealing. That would be massive news for bitcoin IMO. The point was that one has to go to the police and be careful with the terms used because if I go and say "robbery of items valued X US$" then that can be challenged. Every single word can and is challenged by lawyers.

What about art? The only real value it has is the highest bid. Same goes for bitcoin. Highest bid=value.

https://www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Bitcointalk topic over Bitbuy!
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 02:23:27 PM

If the hack can be proven to have come from the inside, it is possible that Linode could be sued and loose massive damages even though their TOS says otherwise.  If the hack was from the outside with no inside help there is very little chance that Linode would loose.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:25:33 PM

What about art? The only real value it has is the highest bid. Same goes for bitcoin. Highest bid=value.

It's a good argument for court but I'd like to see how that goes. Digital vs physical, I've seen many different outcomes. Similar to piracy too, but it wasn't a crime until it was regulated as such specifically.

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:28:17 PM

No one is asking linode to refund the coins in $ however its linodes duty to replace the stolen goods ie. bitcoins and the only way for linode to do this is to purchase bitcoins for $.

The loss incurred is bitcoins and that is what linode must replace if they want to remain untarnished I assume.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 03:31:32 PM

Idiot court would probably rule that they have to give the file back.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 05:31:24 PM

Wait, so they lost ~$250k US, and have at least another $250k stashed somewhere else since Z said he was covering it. Ok that means they had at least $500k on hand, and they lost the bitcoins they did because they were on a cheap linux vps?? They couldn't afford their own server??? WTF?

Those coins weren't stolen. They were given away.

+1

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:09:17 AM

Take them to court for what?

Linode is a web host and not a bank vault.

The question is not whether Linode's servers are perfectly secure (no such thing anyhow), but whether their level of security is reasonable for the service they provide, and it certainly seems to be.  Linode is not a suitable place for storing confidential information worth $200,000, be it bitcoins, trade secrets, or credit card databases.  Most judges will have little sympathy for this kind of carelessness.

What happened here is the equivalent of someone storing a suitcase full of cash in a rented garage and then wanting to sue the garage owner because he didn't install armored doors.

Also, technically speaking, bitcoins are not property but information. In court this probably wouldn't be treated as a theft but a privacy breach.  You stop "owning" bitcoins the minute the wallet.dat files leave your physical computer.

I would hate to see Linode being taken to court because it would have the nasty side effect of web hosting companies refusing to host any service that is related to bitcoin in future, even if it doesn't use live wallets.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
kinghajj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:16:51 AM

What happened here is the equivalent of someone storing a suitcase full of cash in a rented garage and then wanting to sue the garage owner because he didn't install armored doors.

I'd say it's more like storing a suitcase full of cash in a rented garage and then wanting to sue the garage owner because the locks he puts on the garages don't actually work ("if you yank on it hard it just comes off!"), and so someone came and and stole your cash.
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 01:33:00 AM

I believe determining Linode's liability would come down to determining if Linode was negligent in their actions leading to the theft.  For example, if bitcoins were stolen from a VPS because of an exploit in the user's software or server configuration, it would be a clear-cut case of Linode having no responsibility.  In this case however, the break-in was a result of an error entirely on Linode's end.  To prove negligence, it would have to be shown that poor security practices were in place or unauthorized employees had access to the sensitive data.

Additionally, bitcoins are not the only valuable files that could be stored on VPSs.  Customer information and trade secrets (algorithms for example) can also result in $100k+ damages if stolen.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: