Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:56:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid Coin Problem (CLOSED: Question Answered)  (Read 4359 times)
tatsuchan (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:52:34 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2012, 12:02:54 PM by tatsuchan

Anyone know anything about Solid Coin?  I wanted to setup a miner and see what kind of results I'd get.  Figured it would be somewhat close to Litecoins on my CPU (about 9 - 12/day).  It's been mining now for about 16 hours and I'm up to 0.06075499.  So yea, a days worth of mining is going to get me 0.07 cents worth of SC?  I'm wondering if I didn't configure something right before I just give up this one.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tiker

Activity: 459
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 12:41:35 PM

That sounds about right for SolidCoin...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:01:45 PM

Anyone know anything about Solid Coin?  I wanted to setup a miner and see what kind of results I'd get.  Figured it would be somewhat close to Litecoins on my CPU (about 9 - 12/day).  It's been mining now for about 16 hours and I'm up to 0.06075499.  So yea, a days worth of mining is going to get me 0.07 cents worth of SC?  I'm wondering if I didn't configure something right before I just give up this one.
It's fine. Didn't you read about recent changes in scamcoin?

The cause of the problem is called "SolidCoin"

Switch to a coin that is not called scamcoin and you will solve that problem.

tatsuchan (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:09:30 PM

Assuming Values
SC = .011 BTC
LTC = .0017 BTC
BTC = $5.00

My Core 2 Duo/3.2ghz mines
SC .011 = .0055/day ($0.0275)
LTC .0017  = .017/day ($0.085)

Both figures suck, but I was hoping for something that might actually make a profit for once.  Angry
I know there is hype about Litecoin getting a gpu miner released, but does SC have one?  I don't read up too much on SC threads cause they are all flamewars and/or bragging.

Any other ideas on how to make money off my few computer rigs? lol.
tatsuchan (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:13:30 PM

It's fine. Didn't you read about recent changes in scamcoin?

The cause of the problem is called "SolidCoin"

Switch to a coin that is not called scamcoin and you will solve that problem.

I'm mostly invested by miners/money in Bitcoin and Litecoin.  If there is something I can diversify a bit on, I don't mind trying,  but the gamble to payout doesn't seem to be worth it for me.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 04:10:43 PM

Easiest diversification plan in the world... mine with merged mining at BitParking http://mmpool.bitparking.com/pool btc + four alt-coins simultaneously.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 04:39:50 PM

You should figure out how much money you spend in electricity mining that $0.0007 worth of SoiledCoin. Then you will understand why nobody is mining it.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
humilulo

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 08:31:19 PM

i read here that SolidCoin has issues. i just found out about LiteCoin recently (maybe a week ago). i thot it was a cool idea too. and i fell for the "all the other bitcoin alternatives are flops" lie too... till i looked into it.

here's the bottom line: lots more people are mining SolidCoin than LiteCoin, as far as i can tell. LOTS. do you have evidence that LiteCoin is more popular? i read up on the SolidCoin forums because i like to read about the "underdog". but my findings seem to indicate that LiteCoin is more likely the culprit here. LiteCoin being designed from the beginning to have "GPU hostile" and "CPU friendly" mining. and it turns out that the benefits to mine LiteCoin by GPU to mining by CPU are GREATER for LiteCoin than that same ratio is for BitCoin. basically, the very claim to make LiteCoin CPU friendly ends up being the exact opposite: LiteCoin is more GPU friendly than it is CPU friendly! it is true that whether the originator had honest intention or malicious intention with this is speculation. but here's the bottom line: if it was malicious intention then he's a con and i don't want to follow a cheater and deceiver by using his LiteCoin alternative. and if he had honest intention, then LiteCoin is a failure to deliver what it was intended to deliver. either way: it's a flop. but hey, we all should know that all these crypto-currencies are high risk to begin with, so we should not be too surprised.

the hashing pools are where the evidence really is. far less hashes for LiteCoin. and SolidCoin was ranked #2 is how many hashes were being performed. so it seems to me that Solid Coin is the trump over LiteCoin. plus SolidCoin claims to have overcome weaknesses in the BitCoin system too: the 51% takeover, which has been used against other bitcoin alternatives. it seems to me that SolidCoin is kicking butt! but that's just what i gather.

and for bashers: please don't bash me. i'm not bashing others. i'm not bashing *people*. i'm only saying that from what i find, a lot of claims are flaky, and from this new person to take a fair look at both LiteCoin and SolidCoin for just about 1-3 days now, it appears to me that LiteCoin has a pretty high chance of deceptive intentions, but if it's not, then it failed at its #1 goal, to be CPU friendly. and that bashing SolidCoin is just foolish.

but i think "SolidCoin" is a rather lame name, myself. but apart from the "look at me, I'm solid" tout that SolidCoin has, i still give it a fair look. so i ask you SolidCoin haters: why is it bad? what is really wrong with it? i mean, fairly. please talk me out of SolidCoin. i'm asking you to keep me from such a mistake.. if it is a mistake to run with SolidCoin

i know popularity does not mean good. i mean, look at Mt. Gox. it got hacked and it is still the most popular BTC exchange site in the bitcoin world. i don't understand people. and it claims to be secure. *rolling my eyes* but it has nice features. i'd be stupid to not look at the big picture and find why people still use it. it does have more features than other exchanges that i find. but i mention Mt. Gox to only show that popularity means nothing.

and my findings show me that SolidCoin is the 2nd most popular BitCoin alternative with BitCoin holding in as top most popular. so what is really wrong with SolidCoin? i have yet to understand this. and apparently, the mass of users too. Tongue
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 08:42:13 PM

SolidCoin is absolutely retarded with the change to .000000000000000000000000001ty SC per block or some shit like that.  Mining it is useless, so the best way to acquire SC is to just buy it.

LiteCoin is catching on and with more places accepting it, you're best bet is to buy a shit ton of them while they're still cheap.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:40:04 PM

i read here that SolidCoin has issues. i just found out about LiteCoin recently (maybe a week ago). i thot it was a cool idea too. and i fell for the "all the other bitcoin alternatives are flops" lie too... till i looked into it.

here's the bottom line: lots more people are mining SolidCoin than LiteCoin, as far as i can tell. LOTS. do you have evidence that LiteCoin is more popular? i read up on the SolidCoin forums because i like to read about the "underdog". but my findings seem to indicate that LiteCoin is more likely the culprit here. LiteCoin being designed from the beginning to have "GPU hostile" and "CPU friendly" mining. and it turns out that the benefits to mine LiteCoin by GPU to mining by CPU are GREATER for LiteCoin than that same ratio is for BitCoin. basically, the very claim to make LiteCoin CPU friendly ends up being the exact opposite: LiteCoin is more GPU friendly than it is CPU friendly! it is true that whether the originator had honest intention or malicious intention with this is speculation. but here's the bottom line: if it was malicious intention then he's a con and i don't want to follow a cheater and deceiver by using his LiteCoin alternative. and if he had honest intention, then LiteCoin is a failure to deliver what it was intended to deliver. either way: it's a flop. but hey, we all should know that all these crypto-currencies are high risk to begin with, so we should not be too surprised.

the hashing pools are where the evidence really is. far less hashes for LiteCoin. and SolidCoin was ranked #2 is how many hashes were being performed. so it seems to me that Solid Coin is the trump over LiteCoin. plus SolidCoin claims to have overcome weaknesses in the BitCoin system too: the 51% takeover, which has been used against other bitcoin alternatives. it seems to me that SolidCoin is kicking butt! but that's just what i gather.

and for bashers: please don't bash me. i'm not bashing others. i'm not bashing *people*. i'm only saying that from what i find, a lot of claims are flaky, and from this new person to take a fair look at both LiteCoin and SolidCoin for just about 1-3 days now, it appears to me that LiteCoin has a pretty high chance of deceptive intentions, but if it's not, then it failed at its #1 goal, to be CPU friendly. and that bashing SolidCoin is just foolish.

but i think "SolidCoin" is a rather lame name, myself. but apart from the "look at me, I'm solid" tout that SolidCoin has, i still give it a fair look. so i ask you SolidCoin haters: why is it bad? what is really wrong with it? i mean, fairly. please talk me out of SolidCoin. i'm asking you to keep me from such a mistake.. if it is a mistake to run with SolidCoin

i know popularity does not mean good. i mean, look at Mt. Gox. it got hacked and it is still the most popular BTC exchange site in the bitcoin world. i don't understand people. and it claims to be secure. *rolling my eyes* but it has nice features. i'd be stupid to not look at the big picture and find why people still use it. it does have more features than other exchanges that i find. but i mention Mt. Gox to only show that popularity means nothing.

and my findings show me that SolidCoin is the 2nd most popular BitCoin alternative with BitCoin holding in as top most popular. so what is really wrong with SolidCoin? i have yet to understand this. and apparently, the mass of users too. Tongue

Your "investigation" is incomplete. Just looking at hashes (and your calculations are wrong by the way...) does not even begin to tell the story. You need to perhaps read the entire thread devoted to exposing the dishonest way in which ShortBusCoin has been released, the manipulation games that the "programmers" behind it have played, the massive number of coins that has been pre-mined and hidden away in private wallets that only that same insiders club of "programmers" have access to- 13.5 million of them, look at the irrational behavior of the folks behind the project and ask yourself if that is the alt-coin you feel has a future? If you can find the accurate source, and you can read such things, you might want to know exactly what it is that you are introducing into your system. Are you comfortable that there are no trojans, that you are not supporting copyright infringement, illegally using other people's work product, and that your systems cannot be manipulated by this very, very questionable and dishonest group of fans of SC?

And if your answer after really educating yourself is yes, it's the coin for you... then march right over to their full service web presence, where you will find dedicated resources, and IRC channel, forums and all kinds of warm and fuzzy welcoming attitude to support you in your choice. This forum is about bitcoin, which is nothing like ShortBusCoin, in that it has a utility, is a valid form of storing value and is actually useful in the world to conduct transactions with.

Litecoin is another flavor of vanity coin project, billed as the silver to bitcoins gold, but really it is just something to keep CPU's busy while they are devoting less than 5% of their resources to mining bitcoin.

I don't mine SC or support it in any way because it is tainted by the very folks that promote it. They are not honest, they are ill-mannered neighbors, and they are abusive of anyone who does not agree with them. It's just like not playing Russian Roulette, I don't need to do it to know that it is a pretty poor idea.
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:43:50 PM

... I don't read up too much on SC threads cause ...
That is probably why ... plus does this rule apply to this thread too?  Huh
Anyhow your experience seems quite right, so is your headline.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:49:12 PM

here's the bottom line: lots more people are mining SolidCoin than LiteCoin, as far as i can tell. LOTS.  

If by "lots" you mean "absolutely no-one", then yeah you're spot on.    Why the hell would anyone mine them when you get absolutely bugger all for it (aside from a bigger electricity bill).   Even if you had free electricity you'd still be wasting your time.

Just forget about Solidcoin, it's a mess.

tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:03:54 PM

here's the bottom line: lots more people are mining SolidCoin than LiteCoin, as far as i can tell. LOTS.

Solidcoin's difficulty is only usually 3-5k right now...  It was 10 times that before the most recent block reward nerf.  Hardly anyone is actually mining SC2 because as soon as the difficulty goes up you go from losing 90% based on the amount of electricity you used to 95%, which I guess is unacceptable for pretty much everyone.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:20:04 PM

Easiest diversification plan in the world... mine with merged mining at BitParking http://mmpool.bitparking.com/pool btc + four alt-coins simultaneously.

Or wit P2Pool, merged mining with a lots of coins at the same time too...
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 11:27:22 PM

Here's an account of my experiences with SC as a currency:

To sum up:
Reason to avoid solidcoin like the plague: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66518.0

I raised concern about RealSolids 'data collector' built into his SolidCoin client/network.He has refused to achknowledge why it exists and has used secretly gathered (by hiding this deep in hte fine print which caught me out) info against me by denying me what I felt was rightfully mine by being an 'early adopter' of his currency (back when it was a fresh,young currency last august).I even supported him initially before seeing his true nature as evidenced by closing his code source,releasing SC2 which created issues and has things we can't trust.After discovering that SC was not the curency I thought it was,I turned against the idea and was hoping that RS would 'reset ' the whole idea and start fresh.Clearly this didn't happen and so we saw  RS gaining more and more control over the SC network.Hey RS,isn't the whole point of a P2P currency based on the idea that a cryptographic algorithm would take care of verifying transactions and the network itself without central control. Any currency that is not open source should be avoided like the plague!

RS hides behind the excuse that,you agreed to having info collected from you when you use SC. Does the idea of having a possible keylogger or 'data collector' concern you?

RealSolid is dismissive of concerns about his 'currency' and refuses to address issues. Always make sure you know who you are dealing with on these forums OP when using alt chains and alt currencies. If you write comments that RS doesn't like (basically kiss his butt or he'll chase you up on it), he'll pursue you very heavily on here,his forums and IRC channel.When I wrote a comment before about SC,RS compained to me that my comment was 'negative' when I logged into the IRC channel which came out of the blue for me. Anyway I managed to clarify my comment. The message is clear,if you make a comment (an intelligent,valid criticism,comparison to other approaches) that RS doesn't consider 'positive' then he'll chase you up on it.

Many notable individuals have raised issues and exposed issues with SolidCoin on these forums but Realsolid/CoinHunter has dismissed and insisted that the issues raised were not a 'big deal' and look where it got him.RS was given a chance by other members of this forum to fix.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:17:36 AM

I have 4 posts.

We know.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
humilulo

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:38:02 AM

thanks to most for some great replies and not bashing me for honest questions. i really am wanting to see the truth behind SolidCoin.

regarding it not being open-source, i would TOTALLY AGREE that any such system must be open source. but it seems to me that it *is* open source: i see the site has their open source posted at this page:
http://solidcoin.info/downloads.html

i downloaded the zip and it has several code files in it. i did not even try to compile it as i'm not even on a puter that has Visual Studio installed. (i'm a windows programmer [my appologies Wink ] and c# is my specialty, but i'm familiar with c++ too.) so my point is at first glance, it appears that the source code is released. for those saying it's not open source, do you have a response to that?

i agree that he has a hot-head attitude tho. that shows a lack of professionality about him tho. i give that negative aspect too.

and thanks for that post to where he asked how many coins should be pre-mined. it was quite hillarious! Smiley

but about pre-mined coins, in the explanation at the solidcoin site, it explains that premined coins cannot be spent like normal coins. i have to give him/them/SC credit, that it's a good idea. (i think brilliant to overcome the 51% 'danger' that other cryptocoins face.) but i also admit that i only half understand stated solution as to how those premined coined and 'trusted nodes' actually keep the network safe from a powerful attacker. but i'm pointing out that SC claims those coins cannot be spent as regular coins.

and yeah, when i took a second look at difficulties, i found SC difficulties to be very low with as mentioned, hardly any miners. but in response to it not being worth the electricity to mine them, neither is BitCoins worth mining.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 12:47:23 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2012, 01:03:00 AM by film2240

thanks to most for some great replies and not bashing me for honest questions. i really am wanting to see the truth behind SolidCoin.

regarding it not being open-source, i would TOTALLY AGREE that any such system must be open source. but it seems to me that it *is* open source: i see the site has their open source posted at this page:

i downloaded the zip and it has several code files in it. i did not even try to compile it as i'm not even on a puter that has Visual Studio installed. (i'm a windows programmer [my appologies Wink ] and c# is my specialty, but i'm familiar with c++ too.) so my point is at first glance, it appears that the source code is released. for those saying it's not open source, do you have a response to that?

i agree that he has a hot-head attitude tho. that shows a lack of professionality about him tho. i give that negative aspect too.

and thanks for that post to where he asked how many coins should be pre-mined. it was quite hillarious! Smiley

but about pre-mined coins, in the explanation at the solidcoin site, it explains that premined coins cannot be spent like normal coins. i have to give him/them/SC credit, that it's a good idea. (i think brilliant to overcome the 51% 'danger' that other cryptocoins face.) but i also admit that i only half understand stated solution as to how those premined coined and 'trusted nodes' actually keep the network safe from a powerful attacker. but i'm pointing out that SC claims those coins cannot be spent as regular coins.

and yeah, when i took a second look at difficulties, i found SC difficulties to be very low with as mentioned, hardly any miners. but in response to it not being worth the electricity to mine them, neither is BitCoins worth mining.

I'm happy to see some form of code made available for scrutiny.Also I didn't realise that Xcode on my Mac can also show me these lines of code as well.If you have a mac download Xcode to look into the code.I checked the wallet part and it all seemed straightforward.I'm not a programmer (I work as a filmmaker) so maybe someone with more skill can checkout the code made available.If all of this checks out to be solid and fully trasparent and that nothing suspicious or harmful is found,I'll issue a retraction on the closed source claim (which I actually picked up from other user of the forums here).

Upadte:I looked into file block.cpp of the source on Xcode on my mac and I see references to a trust fund (confirming that the topic on this to be true to those who are either critics or simply those who wish to know more about SC but not necessarily a critic of it).
An interesting thing to see is that on certain events/dates,different changes were implemented on thise particular dates as well like this:
      if (fTestNet)
        {
            //pszTimestamp = "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks";
            pszTimestamp = "New York Times | 6/October/2011 | Anti-Wall Street protesters marched to the capital";
            txNew.vin.resize(1);
            txNew.vout.resize(1);
            txNew.vin[0].prevout.SetNull();
            txNew.vin[0].scriptSig = CScript() << CBigNum(0) << vector<unsigned char>((const unsigned char*)pszTimestamp, (const unsigned char*)pszTimestamp + strlen(pszTimestamp));
            txNew.vout[0].nValue = Block_GetCoinBaseValue(0,0);
            txNew.vout[0].scriptPubKey = g_GenScript;
            block.vtx.push_back(txNew);

txNew.vout[0].nValue = (TRUST_FUND_AMOUNT+200000)*COIN;
            for(int x=0;x<TRUST_FUND_NUM;x++)
            {
                sprintf((char*)trustname,"TRUST%02d",x+1);
                txNew.vin[0].scriptSig = CScript() << CBigNum(x+1) << vector<unsigned char>(trustname, trustname+7);
                txNew.vout[0].scriptPubKey = g_TrustedScript
  • ;
               block.vtx.push_back(txNew);
            }

block.blk.nBlockNum=0;
            block.blk.hashPrevBlock = 0;
            block.blk.hashMerkleRoot = block.BuildMerkleTree();
            block.blk.nVersion = 1;
            block.blk.nTime    = 1318051965;
            block.blk.dwBits    = 503840767 ;

block.blk.nNonce1   = 152300;
            block.blk.nNonce2   = 0;
            block.blk.nNonce3   = 0;
            block.blk.nNonce4   = 0;
            strcpy(block.blk.miner_id,"RealSolid");
            assert(block.blk.hashMerkleRoot == uint256("0x8d699b0a5524b3d8773ad46f0b974add6e922f422e7d99a8816ef17d712056ee"));
            //if(block.blk.hashMerkleRoot != uint256("0x20b13f4cf37a0d49fb9e377b7ca7562de7518537cbd54f4c358f36b42e2a3ac3"))
            {
            }

Pesonally I find this rather intriguing as there are several instances of where things have been changed based on specific dates/events (although I suspect that this is simply a reference for RS to mark in plain text when he made particular changes in terms of his code).

Look further in the code and you'll see a lot more of these type of events in this file.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:51:18 AM

Well unless I'm much wrong, the 'closed source' issue relates the the fact that Soilidcoin is released with an 'all rights reserved' license, not the 'free to edit but just mention me' license. Correct me if I'm wrong here Cheesy
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:54:52 AM

This is the LAMEST fake "Broken English" I've seen in a while. Nice try Coinhunter but this laughable.

Someone who spekas broken English doesn't get sentence structure correct or use words in the proper order. The proper use of conjunctions is a dead give away.

This is a Solidcoin sockie...it's blatantly obvious.

~BCX~

YOU are a ScamCoin sockpuppet.

The amount of PR you create for SC is unbelievable.

Let it die already.

Stop stirring up the pile of BS that is SC and the problem will sort itself out.

But no, you are going to endlessly cause controversy all day on here just like the little puppy CH / RS trained you to be.

How much SoiledCons do you get per troll post ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: