Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:29:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ORA:: Development discussion thread  (Read 13386 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DarkhorseofNxt

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:43:16 AM

While this is being done, please start working on the logo. I have seen a btt logo designer. His handle is pipipipopopo. His logos are very professional. You can see his works in viacoin logo design and cat logo design. Beautiful works. To be fair, have a logo design competition and invite him too. Lets not waste much time on the logo designing when its time to do that.

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Deviant1

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:01:55 PM

Very comprehensive game plan! I'm glad you guys are steering the ship on this project, happy to be a part of it!  Smiley
gvans

Activity: 281

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:52:09 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2014, 11:06:13 PM by gvans

While this is being done, please start working on the logo. I have seen a btt logo designer. His handle is pipipipopopo. His logos are very professional. You can see his works in viacoin logo design and cat logo design. Beautiful works. To be fair, have a logo design competition and invite him too. Lets not waste much time on the logo designing when its time to do that.

I'd be happy to chip in my ideas too for the logo. Links to some of my designs in my signature. But as mentioned here and previously by user fragout...

Logo thread with submissions from the community followed by a vote at a certain date (you would be amazed at the hassle logos can cause if the selection is not done properly).

...a proper selection-process should be executed once there are good submissions. Having said that, I have witnessed some questionable reasoning and decisions made by coin-communities for their logos. When it comes to educated taste and understanding graphic design there usually is some misunderstanding of these principles among the average crypto-users. So one other way would maybe be that the devs just make the decision if they feel they are competent enough. That would save a lot of the hassle too if this decision process was set from the start. Also maybe another thread for the logo and marketing, or is it too early for that?

No, not everyone can code and review a code. Neither can everyone do graphic design and judge logos imo Wink

BTC 1Mye3mqB9WQdCj3uFwx6zcRArnzbUiq6Ro  ★ [NXT] NXT-RA49-RXFR-V6WE-97HT9
★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
Kora (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:03:42 AM

I'd be happy to chip in my ideas too for the logo. Links to some of my designs in my signature. But as mentioned here and previously by user fragout...

Logo thread with submissions from the community followed by a vote at a certain date (you would be amazed at the hassle logos can cause if the selection is not done properly).

...a proper selection-process should be executed once there are good submissions. Having said that, I have witnessed some questionable reasoning and decisions made by coin-communities for their logos. When it comes to educated taste and understanding graphic design there usually is some misunderstanding of these principles among the average crypto-users. So one other way would maybe be that the devs just make the decision if they feel they are competent enough. That would save a lot of the hassle too if this decision process was set from the start. Also maybe another thread for the logo and marketing, or is it too early for that?

No, not everyone can code and review a code. Neither can everyone do graphic design and judge logos imo Wink

Good post, thanks!

A great logo is very important, and we'll do our best to ensure Kora has excellent 'branding'. As nioccoin will be working on the website first I'm sure he will have more to say about things like the logo & design style very soon. Translating the Kora 'vibe' into a logo and design might take some time though, but I agree with nio that it is a good project for the community to start with.

I know how Kora 'feels' to me - Kora is simple & effective & universal. By that I mean I hope Kora will be everything it needs to be, but nothing more, nothing unnecessary. I don't like to add things for the sake of it. I want Kora to be a bit Zen, but that's just me, and I'm sure others have very different ideas about Kora.

My design preference is K.I.S.S - 'keep it simple stupid', and I extend that idea of 'keeping things simple' to how we organise the community.

That's why I'm a big fan of the Starfish method of organisation over the traditional Spider.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starfish_and_the_Spider
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nJ3JCDI4yQIN2O09DW6qApRhPrQXDj9wsxY-3jduOAw/edit?hl=en

Starfish organisations are decentralised & regenerative, so they are very lean & simple, but highly effective, and almost impossible to defeat.

qianhanren

Activity: 59

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:14:43 PM

looks another qora in the future...
wait to see.

QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE (http://coinia.net/Q) | Qj3Rbq6Lq56Z9djsaimm29bKReqDpHvRcn
Get Free VpnCoin, Join BitNet ! (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=789961.0) your Vi4uns2ud7C9tbDkLQfTf6apphWzf5RQUv
percocet

Activity: 222
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:16:53 PM

Definitely need a built in exchange and market place for Kora when it is launched. The ability to trade without a third part exchange is huge!
gvans

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:46:50 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 12:14:30 AM by gvans

Starfish organisations are decentralised & regenerative, so they are very lean & simple, but highly effective, and almost impossible to defeat.

That is IT, a starfish!

initial sketch for logo

★ [ORA] LOGO  ★ [NEM] LOGO  ★ [NXT] MONOLITH  ★ [EXO] LOGO  ★ [FIMK] LOGO  ★ [NODE] LOGO
Pentamon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 02:06:00 AM

That is IT, a starfish!

initial sketch for logo

Interesting how the visual image appeals to all of us... I like your orange golden starfish, gvans.
I counted the 'rays' or 'legs'. Five of them... (How could I not like it, with a name like Pentamon?)

How about finding a name that goes with that - it should have five letters. Oh, look, we have Kora already.
Those that find inspiration in a name, could look up the Latin for starfish - class Asteroidia - or search for other names.

Let me come back to the importance of the visual anchor for most of us.
I noticed that quite a bit of discussions about the logo is how our initial discussion here is around the logo, and the importance of it.
As a note to the project managers, maybe we should harvest that force, and give people many diagrams of the design and development process. I suspect that it may be just as important as a 'white paper' for providing us with direction.

I do think however, that neither the name nor the logo should be what makes us choose to spend time on this project.
I think it should be the awesome tool that will ensue, and the awesome community that is formed around it.
It should be the functional software that comes out of it. Alive within the minds of people that see how it benefits their lives.

Right now, we have a lot of different projects competing for our time, and trying to compete for being the first or the best in providing solutions to things we don't even know how to express properly. Ok, maybe some smart dudes around here know how to define them, but the challenge is to express them in such a way that the rest of us can follow and support the project. That is why I like the KISS approach.

However, we should not forget that most of us would like to extend our possibilities:
"Wow, now I can send money quickly and cheaply around the planet, without anybody else having to OK that process."  (decentralized crypto currency)
"Wow, now I can freely trade somethings without anybody else gouging me with trading fees."   (decentralized asset exchange)
"Wow, now I can choose to employ an algorithm to be my robotic artificial business intelligence."  (distributed autonomous corporations doing business)

What else am I missing?

(besides the less endearing possibilities:
"wow, look how can I lose some NXT by sending it to a random address - I just dropped money onto the ocean floor"
"Wow, look how I can (be) scam(med)."
or: "Wow, look how I can pump and dump"

Pentamon

http://www.oraforum.org  *  Yoda: "One stake to every human give!"
nioccoin

Activity: 101

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:20:37 AM

However, we should not forget that most of us would like to extend our possibilities:
"Wow, now I can send money quickly and cheaply around the planet, without anybody else having to OK that process."  (decentralized crypto currency)
"Wow, now I can freely trade somethings without anybody else gouging me with trading fees."   (decentralized asset exchange)
"Wow, now I can choose to employ an algorithm to be my robotic artificial business intelligence."  (distributed autonomous corporations doing business)

Yes!  This is precisely what we will be doing with great vigour in the near future - working out what Kora will "look like".  Each of these points speaks to a potential problem or challenge that we may attempt to solve.

What else am I missing?

Hopefully we will have an insightful project process that will make certain that we miss very little, and what we do miss will be much less significant to the success of Kora.  This is exactly the kind of critical thinking we will be doing.  Good software practices question themselves, to make the processes better.  Introspection is superb.

(besides the less endearing possibilities:
"wow, look how can I lose some NXT by sending it to a random address - I just dropped money onto the ocean floor"
"Wow, look how I can (be) scam(med)."
or: "Wow, look how I can pump and dump"

Bravo!  You have demonstrated exactly one of the ideals we are trying to capture in Kora, which is thinking critically about what makes a coin "good" or "bad", and of course how to embrace the good and jettison the bad.  Is there a technical, or a business, solution to these project goals and risks?  I have no idea.  But that is what we will try to discover.

kind regards,
nio
nioccoin

Activity: 101

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:40:36 AM

The advantage of a formal project approach is it will help us to discuss the project in a holistic manner, to make certain we neither miss any opportunities, nor take any license we may later regret.  But most importantly, it will help us to scope the project, so that we stay within the project's boundaries and in so doing we will (hopefully) not have to slip the schedule.  The Kora Coin deliverable doesn't mean the project ends, it merely means it enters a new project phase in which we embellish our creation with new features that set Kora above competing coins.  And the final phase is "rinse and repeat" as many times as is needed.

How formal a project approach are you considering? It sounds like you are going to use some sort of software development lifecycle. Will you be using use cases to begin with, or do you think that is going over the top?

Certainly not over the top, and they are effective irrespective of whether the project is formal or informal.  I prefer text-based use cases.  I've used them in even simple projects.  Yes, we will be using them at some point in the process.  That will be in a later phase when we analyze the requirements of the system we desire to build.  That doesn't mean we will create a use case for every single use scenario, but we will at the least try to hit the important system interactions.

Use cases are awesome.  It's like walking a mile in the system user's shoes, or a business process's shoes.  It allows you to deep dive into a process, and discover many of the ways it can fail or succeed.

kind regards,
nio
paul.r.k

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:37:28 AM

"Re: Kora BTT ID Confirmation Topic"
There is no "reply" button and I can't post comments there.
Do I have to post there to get my stake?
Kora (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:40:36 AM

"Re: Kora BTT ID Confirmation Topic"
There is no "reply" button and I can't post comments there.
Do I have to post there to get my stake?

The confirmation thread was locked by forum mods so to confirm you need to send Mac Red a PM.

Thanks

Mac Red

Activity: 299
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:12:37 AM

That is IT, a starfish!

initial sketch for logo

Very nice idea for a logo IMO.
Kora (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 12:01:50 PM

That is IT, a starfish!

initial sketch for logo

I agree 100% The starfish shape also reminds me of a cog in a machine, so that shape says "organic decentralised machine" to me, which is pretty cool Smiley

MyPotPlantDied

Activity: 71

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:16:51 PM

That is IT, a starfish!

initial sketch for logo

I agree 100% The starfish shape also reminds me of a cog in a machine, so that shape says "organic decentralised machine" to me, which is pretty cool Smiley

I agree, I love the logo - it is like a cog from nature! Great job gvans!
gvans

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:06:36 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 02:17:06 PM by gvans

Thank for your kind comments. Let's see where it goes, whether the final one is starfish or something different . Also in the long run there are no final logos, like for example the evolution of Shell-logo

However feel free to use the "cog" where ever you feel like Smiley

schnötzel
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1041

Bitcoin is a bit**

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:34:49 PM

The logo is great!
What about new name? Maybe "starfish"  Cheesy
gvans

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:02:26 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2014, 05:13:06 PM by gvans

The logo is great!
What about new name? Maybe "starfish"  Cheesy

Coral ?

Dunno, Kora is nice. It has kinda zen in it and does not really associate too much with qora in my mind.

schnötzel
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1041

Bitcoin is a bit**

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:28:31 PM

The logo is great!
What about new name? Maybe "starfish"  Cheesy

Coral ?

Dunno, Kora is nice. It has kinda zen in it and does not really associate too much with qora in my mind.

Kora is nice, no question. But two coins with same name isn´t good. If both of them are successful, people will say:

Jill: Do you know Kora
Bob: Which Qora do you mean? With an "K" or the real one?

Know what i mean?
bitsire

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:10:21 PM

The logo is great!
What about new name? Maybe "starfish"  Cheesy

Coral ?

Kora is nice, no question. But two coins with same name isn´t good. If both of them are successful, people will say:

Jill: Do you know Kora
Bob: Which Qora do you mean? With an "K" or the real one?

Know what i mean?

I do know what you mean and I feel the same way. Confusion between coin names isn't good.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: