Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:22:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9  (Read 60437 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 07:27:56 PM

I have managed to get my hands on iMine botnet thingy and all it does is connects to a specified pool.
Of course I will not be using it as a botnet as advertised.
Are you able to determine who's code it is based on? Ufasoft, cgminer, etc? Can you tell what language it is written in?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 07:46:56 PM

Difficulty seems to be on a steady rise, is "it" back ?

That was my first thought when I saw diff jumping back to 1623000 Cry

Damn, it is looking like 1 720 000  now Angry

What happens when all legit miners are out of the game and only botnets are mining Huh
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 08:20:22 PM

What happens when all legit miners are out of the game and only botnets are mining Huh
Then botnets won't be sending spam anymore, because they make more money mining Huh
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 08:21:45 PM

Then botnets won't be sending spam anymore, because they make more money mining Huh

I would take that trade.  Sadly I think they will just do both.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 08:34:40 PM

I have managed to get my hands on iMine botnet thingy and all it does is connects to a specified pool.
Are you able to determine who's code it is based on? Ufasoft, cgminer, etc? Can you tell what language it is written in?

I can't comment on iMine, but I can tell you that so far every known botnet that has tried mining on BTC Guild has been Ufasoft.  Sometimes they'll mask the UserAgent though.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2012, 09:39:38 PM

I can't comment on iMine, but I can tell you that so far every known botnet that has tried mining on BTC Guild has been Ufasoft.  Sometimes they'll mask the UserAgent though.
This is why I stopped supporting cpu mining on cgminer above all other reasons.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
P4man

View Profile
May 08, 2012, 09:47:11 PM

From what I can notice, it seems the hashrate is increasing alot every single day over the last 9days.

The mystery miner is having a ball, relaying all their blocks via known pools I guess.

I see no reason to assume the mystery miner is back in business. Hashrate has been creeping up steadily for months, will only a small dip around bip16:
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin.png

Looks like a trend continuing.

This next difficulty is on route to total sadness.

Its only going to get worse IMHO, as all those FPGA are being switched on, and unlike GPUs, almost no one will switch them off again.

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2012, 01:32:05 AM

From what I can notice, it seems the hashrate is increasing alot every single day over the last 9days.

The mystery miner is having a ball, relaying all their blocks via known pools I guess.

I see no reason to assume the mystery miner is back in business. Hashrate has been creeping up steadily for months, will only a small dip around bip16:

Its only going to get worse IMHO, as all those FPGA are being switched on, and unlike GPUs, almost no one will switch them off again.

if you feel bitcoins will be successful , then yes, it will only get worse long term (ed: as in mining, then selling immediately).   i could have bought microsoft shares in 1986, after all

as for FPGA,  this is something only someone doing this as a hobby would buy, since there is no profit in these at the moment.   they won't be a serious factor for a while
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 02:16:20 AM

if you feel bitcoins will be successful , then yes, it will only get worse long term (ed: as in mining, then selling immediately).   i could have bought microsoft shares in 1986, after all

as for FPGA,  this is something only someone doing this as a hobby would buy, since there is no profit in these at the moment.   they won't be a serious factor for a while

Could you explain your reasoning behind this statement? I ask as I'm moving to having about 50% of my mediocre hashing power come from FPGAs and in my calculations it makes perfect sense. For reference, power is $0.11/kwh where I live and there is no need for air conditioning due to cold ambients year round.
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 01:36:30 PM

Current FPGA are high up front cost and no resale. Either you are doing it for long term and will perhaps break even in a year or two, or you were an early adopter and have a scrooge mcduck pile of coins to cash in to "waste" on them.

The real GPU killer will be when someone gets either super cheap FPGA or an ASIC developed.
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 03:18:54 PM

Current FPGA are high up front cost and no resale. Either you are doing it for long term and will perhaps break even in a year or two, or you were an early adopter and have a scrooge mcduck pile of coins to cash in to "waste" on them.

The real GPU killer will be when someone gets either super cheap FPGA or an ASIC developed.

So basically if you are in bitcoin for a quick buck then FPGAs, in your mind, make no sense. I agree there, you can't just peddle FPGA miners on eBay. But damn do those $500/month powerbills get scary real fast with GPUs  Grin
MagicSata

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 03:57:23 PM

It would appear to be coded in vb6 and uses Ufasoft.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 05:10:04 AM

It would appear to be coded in vb6 and uses Ufasoft.

Visual Basic... Not exactly the programming language of choice I would have expected from a hacker.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
gr0bi42

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 10:19:16 AM

Maybe he's back, but with a different ip-adress: 85.17.27.234.

Look at blockchain:
http://blockchain.info/pools
http://blockchain.info/blocks/85.17.27.234

14 blocks in 24h (like BTC-Guild). This is around 1.5 TH/s.

Donations are welcome: 1Btf3BqUegfe5iFdWsgfBf1Ew3YsAvsrLT
dizzy1

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 11:10:50 AM

Maybe he's back, but with a different ip-address: 85.17.27.234.

Look at blockchain:

Reverse lookup for that ip places it in the leaseweb datacenter. If anyone has solid proof its a botnet, email it to abuse@leaseweb.com.
P4man

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 11:28:34 AM

Maybe he's back, but with a different ip-adress: 85.17.27.234.

Look at blockchain:

I only checked a few of those, but they all seem deepbit blocks:
http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/blocklist.php

Clipse (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:08:53 PM

Its deepbit.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:14:53 PM

Honestly we need strongly signed blocks.  It can be optional but I imagine most pools would sign their blocks.  Major farms (GBLSE) would sign blocks to prove their contract's hashing power.  I think a majority of p2pool miners and even some solo miners would strongly sign their blocks. 

While not everyone would sign blocks it would eliminate the false positives and reduce the amount of unknown to the truly unknown.

Strongly signed blocks can be the precursor for more complex pool based services (like 0-confirm surety contracts).
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:23:35 PM

Honestly we need strongly signed blocks.  It can be optional but I imagine most pools would sign their blocks.  Major farms (GBLSE) would sign blocks to prove their contract's hashing power.  I think a majority of p2pool miners and even some solo miners would strongly sign their blocks. 

While not everyone would sign blocks it would eliminate the false positives and reduce the amount of unknown to the truly unknown.

Strongly signed blocks can be the precursor for more complex pool based services (like 0-confirm surety contracts).
What is the benefit of signed blocks? So we can see who mined it?
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
May 10, 2012, 02:27:52 PM

What is the benefit of signed blocks? So we can see who mined it?
Yes. Right now, anyone can put almost anything in the blockchain to "prove" who made a block, but that doesn't stop anyone from putting someone else's info in to masquerade as them. There isn't usually any incentive to do that though, except in the case of something such as a botnet.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: