Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:26:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting a Person on a Block Chain  (Read 3837 times)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:15:49 PM

There is a possibility for this in the future. MRI resolution would be the key. If you can scan all of the synapses in a brain you might capture the personality. Building a machine with enough processing power to support an entire human personality is not as big of a technical issue but one you would have to consider as well. It is an intellectually intriguing idea, but would it be ethical to trap a human in a machine? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:18:26 PM

Technical and philosophical uncertainties aside, I don't thing a blockchain is a suitable medium for humanlike consciousness. A blockchain exists to lock down a state irrevocably, and state changes are encoded in new blocks referring to the old ones. If you think the Bitcoin blockchain is bloated. just try storing every neural operation in one... Besides, neural rewiring, malleability of memory etc. seem like pretty important parts of being a live person to me.

We'll just have to do with our memories of those lost for now.

Watch this. This guy is the CLOSEST IN THE WORLD to achieving Artificial Intelligence. And to me it seems like he is missing a block chain to make the computer more than a computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_nOddk01E

We may someday soon achieve strong AI, but it will always be artificial.

There will never be "spiritual machines" or true
consciousness/awareness in a computer.

But if we can achieve randomness within a hierarchy of systems that have extreme sensory input, we can get very close.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:21:05 PM

There is a possibility for this in the future. MRI resolution would be the key. If you can scan all of the synapses in a brain you might capture the personality. Building a machine with enough processing power to support an entire human personality is not as big of a technical issue but one you would have to consider as well. It is an intellectually intriguing idea, but would it be ethical to trap a human in a machine? 

I think that if the person were in the machine, they would still be alive. It would probably be more like a clone, ready to be copied off the computer, but instead of putting it in a body, you put it on a blockchain.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 07:31:09 PM

And we can now put people's DNA into 1s and 0s.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=677912

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:56:32 AM

Not quite sure the blockchain would be the funnest place to have your mind trapped in
Maybe a MMORPG playing a game forever or three dimesnional reality but Jepoardy bot is the closet we have (Watson) in AI
But if a robot passes the Turing test then it can be seen as intelligent.

I am not saying that I have cracked the code or solved for x or anything, I am just saying that a Blockchain could probably hold a mind better than any hardware and software or ANY hierarchy of systems without a blockchain.

In that case I would say that seems right, that or store it in a DNA cell seems like the future
If it evolves transplant that data storage or mind into an organic construct
Basically creating intelligent life instead of a blockchain storage.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

But it's hard to store a brain with ideas and thoughts maybe possible but not now.

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:58:33 AM

My brother died a little over a year ago now, and his death made me wish that there was a way to have kept him alive digitally. I found a thread about putting a human consciousness on the block chain, but I can not find that thread anymore. So I thought I would make a new one.

What do you guys think about the possibility of a human consciousness being placed on a block chain?

First someone would have to create a block chain that could answer questions, as a model (and I have heard of people using block chains for file storage, so I do not see why that would be hard, and the Watson computer used Wikipedia to win Jeopardy.) Then once there was a block chain that could be mined for answers, then eventually someone could maybe find a way to imprint their actual human being into the block chain.

ECG and Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation are probably good things to look in to for this.

U could always "make a friend".  But your "friend" died.  Maybe u should just accept the fact that Jesus died for your sins so u don't HAVE to write a computer virus that emulates him

i am here.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 01:50:01 PM

But I would disagree, as I believe consciousness is primary and
does not originate from the physical domain.

Our 'minds', 'souls', 'spirit' and consciousness are all physical in nature. Thousands of years of research have shown that our brains comprise and produce our true selves. Souls and spirits do not exist. Our bodies run themselves. We know from cases of brain damage and the effects of psychoactive drugs, that our experiences are caused by physical chemistry acting on our physical neurones in our brains.

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:18:58 PM

i don't miss no one.  maybe G-d defines who we should live with.  cause everyone that is dead i don't want them in my life (excluding you Amy Winehouse  Tongue)

i am here.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 02:19:26 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2014, 02:30:31 PM by jonald_fyookball

But I would disagree, as I believe consciousness is primary and
does not originate from the physical domain.

Our 'minds', 'souls', 'spirit' and consciousness are all physical in nature. Thousands of years of research have shown that our brains comprise and produce our true selves. Souls and spirits do not exist. Our bodies run themselves. We know from cases of brain damage and the effects of psychoactive drugs, that our experiences are caused by physical chemistry acting on our physical neurones in our brains.

You're certainly entitled to that viewpoint,
and it could be considered the more "scientific" one.

I say souls do exist and that reality manifests itself on multiple
planes of existence simultaneously.  For example,
love is real, but also may be expressed in the physical
domain by neurons firing in the brain.

WtwkG

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 02:24:39 PM

Possibilities of modern science are amazing so it seems fantastic only on the first sight
yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:20:18 PM

Evidence is everything, without evidence all you have is opinion. There will always be someone with an opposite opinion to yours. The sum of all opinions is zero, rendering them utterly worthless.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:25:35 PM

Evidence is everything, without evidence all you have is opinion. There will always be someone with an opposite opinion to yours. The sum of all opinions is zero, rendering them utterly worthless.

Science and spirituality are two different realms.  You cannot prove love, God, or spirit.
If your intuition doesn't tell you that science is not necessarily the ultimate truth,
then there is little I can do to convince you otherwise, and that is ok.

although for entertainment purposes, I suggest you check out the movie
"what the bleep do we know?"

yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:42:29 PM

Science and spirituality are two different realms.  You cannot prove love, God, or spirit.
If your intuition doesn't tell you that science is not necessarily the ultimate truth,

My intuition tells me that science is the only path to the truth. So where does that get us? Nowhere. Again this demonstrates the importance of evidence.

although for entertainment purposes, I suggest you check out the movie
"what the bleep do we know?"

Yes, I've seen it. A lot of good science interspersed with pseudo-science inorder to mezmorize the gullible.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:55:38 PM

My intuition tells me that science is the only path to the truth. So where does that get us? Nowhere. Again this demonstrates the importance of evidence.

One must follow their own intuition and path
to the truth, and I respect your opinion.

My intuition tells me something different and
my experiential reality is the evidence of it.
There have been many prominent
scientists who also believed in God.

yogi
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:07:25 PM

to the truth

Just because we believe something that doesn't make it true.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:09:46 PM

to the truth

Just because we believe something that doesn't make it true.

Agreed.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:36:29 PM

Not quite sure the blockchain would be the funnest place to have your mind trapped in
Maybe a MMORPG playing a game forever or three dimesnional reality but Jepoardy bot is the closet we have (Watson) in AI
But if a robot passes the Turing test then it can be seen as intelligent.

I am not saying that I have cracked the code or solved for x or anything, I am just saying that a Blockchain could probably hold a mind better than any hardware and software or ANY hierarchy of systems without a blockchain.

In that case I would say that seems right, that or store it in a DNA cell seems like the future
If it evolves transplant that data storage or mind into an organic construct
Basically creating intelligent life instead of a blockchain storage.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134672-harvard-cracks-dna-storage-crams-700-terabytes-of-data-into-a-single-gram

But it's hard to store a brain with ideas and thoughts maybe possible but not now.

Wait, so you think we will one day put 1s and 0s on DNA and that that will constitute artificial computer life?

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:39:15 PM

The soul is the Shadow. "Swt" to the ancient Egyptians. It can be captured in a Silhouette, a Statue and probably a Picture/Video, they just didn't have those yet.

Then there is "Ren" the name of a thing, which is another concept of soul.

Then there is the Personality. "Ba"?
The Life Spark. "Ka"

Then there is the Heart, which circulates the blood and is another form of soul.

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:55:11 PM

Technical and philosophical uncertainties aside, I don't thing a blockchain is a suitable medium for humanlike consciousness. A blockchain exists to lock down a state irrevocably, and state changes are encoded in new blocks referring to the old ones. If you think the Bitcoin blockchain is bloated. just try storing every neural operation in one... Besides, neural rewiring, malleability of memory etc. seem like pretty important parts of being a live person to me.

Watch this. This guy is the CLOSEST IN THE WORLD to achieving Artificial Intelligence. And to me it seems like he is missing a block chain to make the computer more than a computer.

Yup. Searle's paper was one of the first that I read when studying Artificial Intelligence. I don't believe that we will ever achieve Strong AI, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible, just because I can't comprehend it.

Going back to the OP, I don't see how a blockchain would provide a suitable model for querying. There is a lot of work using neural networks, multi-layered perceptron etc for providing decisions based on information seen.

The real skill is how do you model the knowledge such that it has features which are comparable and there to be queried. You could build a rudimentary model, but the responses would be somewhat contrived. Also the best training when building such a model would include the person themselves, in addition to other people such as family, friends, co-workers etc.

Sorry to hear about your brother's passing btw, it's interesting that you are seeking ways to preserve his life. Sometimes memories are not enough.

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:54:00 PM

Yup. Searle's paper was one of the first that I read when studying Artificial Intelligence. I don't believe that we will ever achieve Strong AI, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible, just because I can't comprehend it.

Going back to the OP, I don't see how a blockchain would provide a suitable model for querying. There is a lot of work using neural networks, multi-layered perceptron etc for providing decisions based on information seen.

The real skill is how do you model the knowledge such that it has features which are comparable and there to be queried. You could build a rudimentary model, but the responses would be somewhat contrived. Also the best training when building such a model would include the person themselves, in addition to other people such as family, friends, co-workers etc.

Sorry to hear about your brother's passing btw, it's interesting that you are seeking ways to preserve his life. Sometimes memories are not enough.

The Block chain could process questions like transactions, and the hash rate would be the thinking speed of the AI. And people around the world could ask questions and join the network to help keep the bot alive.

Eventually it could even be a system of bots that all worked on one hive mind and there could be like teddy bears that answer questions for kids.

I am not trying to preserve him, I understand that his mind is gone. I preserve him in my own ways.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: