Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:07:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DSH] Dashcoin (Cryptonote, automated source)  (Read 216666 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 11:58:56 AM

DRK bought this coin?

DRK bought the github repo. The coin is fine.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RenegadeMan

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:01:47 PM

Evan has acquired the name from someone who wanted to sell it. It's a perfectly valid commercial undertaking.

Actually no. You (and probably Evan) really need to learn something about trademarks. You can't "acquire a name." It doesn't work that way. You (apparently) acquired a github repo and maybe some websites. Enjoy them.

If you actually had an enforceable trademark you could, at some point in the future, demand that the dashcoin community stop using it. I personally doubt that will ever happen, but you never know anything is possible.

Until then people who have already been using the name in their own dealings are free to continue doing so.

You can acquire "a name" that is a trademark or a brand name (and the intellectual property that goes with it). It happens in commercial transactions all over the planet thousands of time every year. The open source code of course can't be acquired but the dev's repo can.

Time will tell as to how it all plays out but one thing I know for sure, Evan Duffield is not an underhanded person who engages in dubious transactions. Nor is he a fool.

BTC:   1KjAPEa3WvhmDGT4jmT9i5P3UPFdFH629e
DASH: Xdr6U5qcAdbuKRrr3xKBb1ySoPq7MKERnB
DonQuijote
Legendary

Activity: 1551
Merit: 1002

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚&#

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:05:32 PM

DRK bought this coin?

DRK bought the github repo. The coin is fine.

Ok, thanks!

THE INGENIOUS GENTLEMAN DON QUIXOTE OF LA MANCHA
♠ ♥ ♣ ♦ < ♛♚♝♞♜ BTC tip: 39gUUFdJBdKWXnLoh3PMNX9eUz3DwakBKq
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:08:08 PM

Evan has acquired the name from someone who wanted to sell it. It's a perfectly valid commercial undertaking.

Actually no. You (and probably Evan) really need to learn something about trademarks. You can't "acquire a name." It doesn't work that way. You (apparently) acquired a github repo and maybe some websites. Enjoy them.

If you actually had an enforceable trademark you could, at some point in the future, demand that the dashcoin community stop using it. I personally doubt that will ever happen, but you never know anything is possible.

Until then people who have already been using the name in their own dealings are free to continue doing so.

You can acquire "a name" that is a trademark or a brand name (and the intellectual property that goes with it).

No you can not. You can acquire a product (or product line) that has a brand name.

Furthermore, even if a trademarked product line is acquired, people who have legally acquired items produced by the previous trademark owner can continue to trade those items under their existing name. I'm not required to remove the brand from my Chrysler just because Chrysler has been sold. Application of this principle to virtual property is something you can work out on your own, I believe.

This all doesn't work anything like the way you think it works, and the fact that you can't actually "acquire" a decentralized open source project or a decentralized cryptocurrency at all complicate things further.

The best thing for you to do here is leave the dashcoin community alone before you do even more damage to the reputation of your project and your leader with this relentless bullying.

RenegadeMan

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:15:46 PM

You can acquire "a name" that is a trademark or a brand name (and the intellectual property that goes with it).

No you can not. You can acquire a product (or product line) that has a brand name.

Furthermore, even if a trademarked product line is acquired, people who have legally acquired items produced by the previous trademark owner can continue to trade those items under their existing name. I'm not required to remove the brand from my Chrysler just because Chrysler has been sold. Application of this principle to virtual property is something you can work out on your own, I believe.

This all doesn't work anything like the way you think it works, and the fact that you can't actually "acquire" a decentralized open source project or a decentralized cryptocurrency at all complicate things further.

The best thing for you to do here is leave the dashcoin community alone before you do even more damage to the reputation of your project and your leader with this relentless bullying.

None of this stuff in crypto works the way most people think it does. There are numerous areas that haven't had precedents set yet. There are legal minefields that haven't even been laid yet. But Evan has worked very hard on the Darkcoin project and he's not just going to throw it all away. There are many challenges yet to come but this isn't one of the big ones.

with this relentless bullying.

"bullying"...oh pleeaase! Where in any of my posts have I bullied anyone here? I have not used words or phrases that would come even close to qualify for bullying. You really need to take that back as I write with considerable care to avoid degrading or abusive language as it's not in my nature.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:24:27 PM

"bullying"...oh pleeaase! Where in any of my posts have I bullied anyone here? I have not used words or phrases that would come even close to qualify for bullying. You really need to take that back as I write with considerable care to avoid degrading or abusive language as it's not in my nature.

The actions of DRK/Evan are being perceived as bullying by the dashcoin community. That is a huge part of the main definition of bullying (intimidation by a perceived power imbalance), but even if it were not, it doesn't really matter.

Either way you're doing DRK/Evan no favors here. As you say, it will play out how it plays out. Best to let it happen quietly.
RenegadeMan

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:33:35 PM

Either way you're doing DRK/Evan no favors here. As you say, it will play out how it plays out. Best to let it happen quietly.

I'm attempting to negate misunderstanding and misperception that's leading to acrimony and self victimisation. I'm speaking what I know to be true and valid. There is merit (I believe) in what I'm saying. And many people from DRK/DASH have attempted to be empathetic too, but without much success. How you and other people here choose to view what I'm doing is of course of your own deciding. I certainly mean no harm but try to break people's mesmerism that entraps them so badly when it is obviously overpowering them like it is with arielbit.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:40:12 PM

I'm attempting to negate misunderstanding and misperception that's leading to acrimony and self victimisation. I'm speaking what I know to be true and valid. There is merit (I believe) in what I'm saying. And many people from DRK/DASH have attempted to be empathetic too, but without much success. How you and other people here choose to view what I'm doing is of course of your own deciding. I certainly mean no harm but try to break people's mesmerism that entraps them so badly when it is obviously overpowering them like it is with arielbit.

The lack of success should tell you -- and quite objectively so -- that your approach is totally dysfunctional and misguided.

Stuff like "why don't you ask your own developer" comes off as hostile frankly. Making statements that basically amount to "we bought it, get over it" comes off as arrogant and not going to "negate any misunderstanding." I think they "understand" quite well what you are tying to do and they don't like it one bit.

If people here want to continue their project, they will, if they don't they won't. If anything you are just encouraging them to do whatever is the opposite of what they think you want. But hey, I have plenty of popcorn, so if you want to continue with this attempt at DRK's version of diplomacy, carry on.

RenegadeMan

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:47:42 PM

The lack of success should tell you -- and quite objectively so -- that your approach is totally dysfunctional and misguided.

Stuff like "why don't you ask your own developer" comes off as hostile frankly. Making statements that basically amount to "we bought it, get over it" comes off as arrogant and not going to "negate any misunderstanding." I think they "understand" quite well what you are tying to do and they don't like it one bit.

If people here want to continue their project, they will, if they don't they won't. If anything you are just encouraging them to do whatever is the opposite of what they think you want. But hey, I have plenty of popcorn, so if you want to continue with this attempt at DRK's version of diplomacy, carry on.

Well in your previous posting you counselled

Best to let it happen quietly.

and in this last one you've said

But hey, I have plenty of popcorn, so if you want to continue with this attempt at DRK's version of diplomacy, carry on.

They seem to be in opposing directions.

I'll just follow the first one.

Good night (or morning or afternoon) smooth.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:49:37 PM

Dunno what Evan's intent is exactly, but I'm just assuming here (and playing with the possible outcomes):

a) If Evan manages to trademark DASH in the field of virtual currencies (or w/e the field's gonna be), he is going to let Dashcoin be Dashcoin, no problems for anyone.

b) If the other company is admitted the trademark to DASH, then it might not allow Dashcoin be Dashcoin as it's just been proven to operate in the same market/field.

Thoughts?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:00:59 PM

That's what we call a shitstorm.
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:01:36 PM

Dunno what Evan's intent is exactly, but I'm just assuming here (and playing with the possible outcomes):

a) If Evan manages to trademark DASH in the field of virtual currencies (or w/e the field's gonna be), he is going to let Dashcoin be Dashcoin, no problems for anyone.

b) If the other company is admitted the trademark to DASH, then it might not allow Dashcoin be Dashcoin as it's just been proven to operate in the same market/field.

Thoughts?

c) If dashcoin wants DASH for itself..is it okay for you and evan?
illodin

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:18:55 PM

Let's say Evan comes up with a better name than DASH or for any other reason (competing coin's fans pay/extort him enough or w/e) decides to drop pursuing the DASH trademark => the competing company gets the trademark => they will come after you.
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:37:15 PM

Let's say Evan comes up with a better name than DASH or for any other reason (competing coin's fans pay/extort him enough or w/e) decides to drop pursuing the DASH trademark => the competing company gets the trademark => they will come after you.

Then good for him, shove his dick somewhere else..skipping dashcoin again for the claim eh?....
RenegadeMan

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:39:15 PM

Then good for him, shove his dick somewhere else..skipping dashcoin again for the claim eh?....

You're a twit arielbit.

runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 02:17:48 PM

Most people who use cryptocurrencies don't bother to think about what a decentralized cryptocurrency is.  If they did, they wouldn't talk about someone being able to "buy it".

Dashcoin is a network, the network is the nodes, and the nodes are us. 

People have spent years talking about how "the government can never shut down Bitcoin", but for some reason they think some guy named Evan can shut down a coin.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 02:19:47 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2015, 04:00:37 PM by arielbit

You're a twit arielbit.

Actually i already understand you guys. You just come up with different words again and again.

I'm just enjoying being here.trolltalking you guys from time to time

edit: Darkcoin/DASH = Duffield's Cash
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 03:49:08 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2015, 04:21:49 PM by MyFarm

Thoughts?

A.  You HAVE to enforce your trademark.  There is no way Darkcoin can become Dash without sending a cease and desist to Dashcoin if they are somehow granted ownership of the Dashcoin trademark (doubtful in my opinion).  If they don't enforce their trademark, it will become null and void.

B.  The other company's trademark application will potentially be denied because of the earlier existence of Dashcoin.  

The smartest thing for Darkcoin to do is what it should have done (and would have done if there was a competent business executive) initially.  BUY OUT Dashcoin holders.  And do it before the other company starts bidding as they potentially will if they really want the DASH name and worry that the existence of Dashcoin would hinder their trademark app.  Could I be wrong about all of this?  Yes.  Could I be correct?  Yes.  We shall see.

Make no mistake, this story has the potential to get much, much bigger...
illodin

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:38:03 PM

A.  You HAVE to enforce your trademark.  There is no way Darkcoin can become Dash without sending a cease and desist to Dashcoin if they are somehow granted ownership of the Dashcoin trademark (doubtful in my opinion).  If they don't enforce their trademark, it will become null and void.

Is this your opinion based on your logic or is that actually true? I just have to ask because people often talk as if things were absolute facts even if they are just their opinions.

B.  The other company's trademark application will potentially be denied because of the earlier existence of Dashcoin.  

The smartest thing for Darkcoin to do is what it should have done (and would have done if there was a competent business executive) initially.  BUY OUT Dashcoin holders.  And do it before the other company starts bidding as they potentially will if they really want the DASH name and worry that the existence of Dashcoin would hinder their trademark app.  Could I be wrong about all of this?  Yes.  Could I be correct?  Yes.  We shall see.

Make no mistake, this story has the potential to get much, much bigger...

The smartest thing for Darkcoin to do is to get legal advice and act accordingly, which they did.
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 04:49:34 PM

Is this your opinion based on your logic or is that actually true? I just have to ask because people often talk as if things were absolute facts even if they are just their opinions.
There is a misconception that you have to constantly monitor all forms of communication and raise hell each time your trademark is even lightly infringed.  You don't.  However, for there to be a DASH cryptocurrency and a Dashcoin cryptocurrency would create such confusion (as posts in this and the Darkcoin thread have already shown) that there's no way Darkcoin (DASH) could allow Dashcoin to continue under the name.  Have I checked with an attorney on this?  No.  But I'm quite certain I am correct.
Pages: « 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: