Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:01:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got my BFL Single today and I'm raffling it away for 0.5BTC!  (Read 29272 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:07:37 PM

$1028 for a $600 board (granted with delivery quickly instead of 4-6 weeks months).  Pretty nice.  Shows BFL Singles are underpriced relative to demand.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 05:16:20 PM

The current rate of exchange for raffle credits to tickets has been decided on as

0.1 credit = 1 tickets.
Wait wot? What does that mean for the guy with 1.05 credits, or the next guy with 1.25, or the guy with 1.3 credits who doesn't like the way you rounded up the other guy's credits. Hrm.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:18:49 PM

The current rate of exchange for raffle credits to tickets has been decided on as

0.1 credit = 1 tickets.
Wait wot? What does that mean for the guy with 1.05 credits, or the next guy with 1.25, or the guy with 1.3 credits who doesn't like the way you rounded up the other guy's credits. Hrm.

Also wouldn't the stupidly easy thing be to simply make it 0.01 credit = 1 ticket?  
No rounding, no issues, no unfairness.  
100 tickets per credit.
402.7 credits = 40,270 tickets

Huh
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:23:09 PM

$1028 for a $600 board (granted with delivery quickly instead of 4-6 weeks months).  Pretty nice.  Shows BFL Singles are underpriced relative to demand.

I'm not sure a raffle is an accurate price discovery mechanism.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:23:51 PM

What the FUCK.

Sorry guys, wasn't thinking. This is why I am posting everything I am doing to make sure this goes smoothly. It would obviously be 0.01 credit = 1 ticket. I was just looking at the 402.7 on my spreadsheet when I said that.

It will be obviously be 40,270 tickets.

Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:47:37 PM

Shows nothing of the kind. If this were an auction, then yes. But if this were an auction it wouldn't get anywhere near $1000. This is a raffle. Big difference.
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:53:48 PM

With all the back and forth, so what's the plan now for drawing a winner?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:56:10 PM

With all the back and forth, so what's the plan now for drawing a winner?

I'm waiting a response from deepceleron regarding his idea (since I have no idea what is involved with using the blockchain to tell a random number),

but I am also fine with just sending theymos the spreadsheet with all the emails SHA256 hashed with a salt (so that he doesn't know who is who) and using random.org to pick and certify the winner, then publishing the salt after the fact.

That however, is what the old me would do, and I enjoy learning new things especially when they involve more transparency.

dab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:57:47 PM

I thought he was referring to the block as the cutoff for entries. Not as a means of deciding the winner.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:58:23 PM

I thought he was referring to the block as the cutoff for entries. Not as a means of deciding the winner.

I think it was more about using it as a publicly verifiable random number, but I don't know what random number he would be getting from the block since I've never seen what a block looks like.

dab

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:00:26 PM

Maybe block # % # of entries? (I as well have no idea what is contained inside a block so I'm just throwing ideas into the wind lol)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:04:23 PM

UPDATE: Talking to deepceleron about it right now. It's actually not that complicated, I'm just not familiar with the process.

SaintFlow

Activity: 476

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:08:41 PM

in other news: there is no such thing as a free lunch

don't let me make you question your assumptions
ohforf

Activity: 327

we are legion

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:22:47 PM

The Members of the good old Salvation Army might prove otherwise.  Grin
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/salvation-army-begins-free-lunch-program-in-dade-city/1214986

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▀██████ EAT SLEEP DECENTRALIZE ██████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:39:09 PM

The Members of the good old Salvation Army might prove otherwise.  Grin
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/salvation-army-begins-free-lunch-program-in-dade-city/1214986
Paid for by donations, not free.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 06:52:06 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2012, 06:38:39 AM by deepceleron

Maybe block # % # of entries? (I as well have no idea what is contained inside a block so I'm just throwing ideas into the wind lol)

You are about right. The modulo (%) is what I proposed (page 3). I gave Matthew and others who may do raffles the tools so they could prove their raffle is being run fairly for anybody that may question how the winner is picked.

For some technical information:

Each bitcoin block has a SHA256(SHA256()) hash that is the main "block hash", a hash of the contents of the block (even more technically, a hash of the merkle tree of the transactions in the block). Like the SHA256 hashes of the emails you submitted to the raffle, hashing the transaction block turns readable data into unpredictable random-looking output (it is unpredictable by design; if you could predict it's output, you could break Bitcoin and crack hashed passwords easily). This is actually the puzzle that mining uses; since the output of SHA256 is unpredictable, it is very hard to find a hash that looks like something you specify. Bitcoin's mining challenge is to find a block hash that starts with many zeroes, the more zeroes we want at the beginning of a 256-bit hash (the smaller the value), the more difficult it becomes to find one.

This hash of a block is our random number picker. We specify a future block, so we know the fix is not in - we want to know that a lottery operator isn't picking the ticket number of a friend of his. Since it is so hard to even find a block hash (it's worth 50BTC), trying to manipulate the blockchain so a hash of a particular block is a particular number is nigh impossible. Since it is in the future, nobody without a time machine could have known the winner. Since the blockchain is published for all to use and see, we know that there is only one answer.

We could use the whole block hash, but that's a biiiig number and would break your calculator and programming environment, so it is not practical for everybody to use and independently verify. I proposed the last 10 digits as more reasonable - that is still a huge random number (in hexadecimal) with a value that will be between 0 and 1,099,511,627,775. I think one million million is a pretty big number.

For those that understand the modulo function, you see we must specify that the first raffle ticket number in our list is #0. We use the modulo function on the hash of a specific future block (that the organizer designates beforehand) to determine the winner:

(last-10-digits-of-block-hash) % (number-of-tickets) = winning ticket number

(I'll let you google modulo function if you don't know what that is.)

By all entrants seeing the list of ticket numbers beforehand, and being able to see how the winning ticket number is picked, it is hard to say that the winner was chosen unfairly. Scammers have to go back to simply not shipping the prize and disappearing. Someone like bitpay may fill this final need, by acting as an escrow agent for prizes for future raffles.
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 06:55:09 PM

You are about right. The modulo (%) is what I proposed (page 3). I gave Matthew and others who may do raffles the tools so they could prove their raffle is being run fairly for anybody that may question how the winner is picked.

For some technical information:

Each bitcoin block has a SHA256(SHA256()) hash that is the main "block hash", a hash of the contents of the block (even more technically, a hash of the merkle tree of the transactions in the block). Like the SHA256 hashes of the emails you submitted to the raffle, hashing the transaction block turns readable data into unpredictable random-looking output (it is unpredictable by design; if you could predict it's output, you could break Bitcoin and crack hashed passwords easily). This is actually the puzzle that mining uses; since the output of SHA256 is unpredictable, it is very hard to find a hash that looks like something you specify. Bitcoin's mining challenge is to find a block hash that starts with many zeroes, the more zeroes we want at the beginning of a 256-bit hash (the smaller the value), the more difficult it becomes to find one.

This hash of a block is our random number picker. We specify a future block, so we know the fix is not in - we want to know that a lottery operator isn't picking the ticket number of a friend of his. Since it is so hard to even find a block hash (it's worth 50BTC), trying to manipulate the blockchain so a hash of a particular block is a particular number is nigh impossible. Since it is in the future, nobody without a time machine could have known the winner. Since the blockchain is published for all to use and see, we know that there is only one answer.

We could use the whole block hash, but that's a biiiig number and would break your calculator and programming environment, so it is not practical for everybody to use and independently verify. I proposed the last 10 digits as more reasonable - that is still a huge random number (in hexidecimal) with a value that will be between 0 and 1,099,511,627,776. I think one million million is a pretty big number.

For those that understand the modulo function, you see we must specify that the first raffle ticket number in our list is #0. We use the modulo function with hash of a future block that the organizer specifies to determine the winner:

(I'll let you google modulo function if you don't know what that is.)

By all entrants seeing the list of ticket numbers beforehand, and being able to see how the winning ticket number is picked, it is hard to say that the winner was chosen unfairly. Scammers have to go back to simply not shipping the prize and disappearing. Someone like bitpay may fill this final need, by acting as an escrow agent for prizes for future raffles.

Excellent, I support this 100%
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:59:19 PM

For those that understand the modulo function, you see we must specify that the first raffle ticket number in our list is #0. We use the modulo function with hash of a future block that the organizer specifies to determine the winner:

Excellent, I support this 100%

Agreed. This is a reasonable method.
Glasswalker

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 07:00:27 PM

I also prefer this method.

So...

Where is the final list of hashed emails versus "tickets"?

And what block are we targeting for the "draw"?

I'm eager to win my BitForce! Wink lol

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 07:23:12 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2012, 07:37:43 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Sounds like a good method.

For totally transparency just two things are needed.

A) A final list which should sha-256 email address, the # of tickets (and to avoid confusion the ticket # range).

Example:
hash                                           tickets      ticket #s    
jkfjhasdklfhdfjkhfdjkdhsafjkdhfadjk    120           0-119
fh89r7efuisey78a6s78sdtyfuidfjhh     200          120 - 319
fh89r7efuisey7fjsjs978sdtyfuidfjhh    100          40260 - 40359

B) and the block # which will be used and then we just need to wait for that block.  It should be far enough out to allow people to check the list for errors before the block arrives.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: