Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:55:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Running an FPGA on Raspberry Pi, possible?  (Read 12425 times)
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:23:50 PM

Going to try and set this up with 10 BFL singles tonight or tomorrow.  I'll post back with results.

Well, let me know if it works for you. For me two work great, three feels like a spinning top, seems to get unresponsive after a while. When I start cgminer it sometimes hangs when starting. I am able to CTRL-C and it will quit. Restarting it and it's good for a while. It's seems that if it's over an hour or two any changes will make it "hang", like enable/disable a pool. I had three running over 48 hours, but as soon as I did something to it, bam... down like a domino. So since I had more Pi's I just put two on each. Also, the 10 port USB hub that worked great on the PC was not happy at all on the Pi. Strange... still tinkering with it though.

It's still awesome to see three little black boxes (2 BFL, 1 Pi) generating ~1.6GHash with such little power and heat. I hope it will run a Jalapeño or an SC Single.  Cool

Also, if you are looking for a great case for the Pi this one is very nice: (Have 4, work great, quality)
http://builttospecstore.storenvy.com/products/404262-raspberry-pi-enclosure-kit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jezzz

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:56:59 AM

Result:  L33T!

The pi hammers out 10 BFLs like a champ.  No issues whatsoever.  I'll keep monitoring it tonight and tomorrow, but so far it's a glowing success.
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:24:23 AM

Going to try and set this up with 10 BFL singles tonight or tomorrow.  I'll post back with results.

Well, let me know if it works for you. For me two work great, three feels like a spinning top, seems to get unresponsive after a while. When I start cgminer it sometimes hangs when starting. I am able to CTRL-C and it will quit. Restarting it and it's good for a while. It's seems that if it's over an hour or two any changes will make it "hang", like enable/disable a pool. I had three running over 48 hours, but as soon as I did something to it, bam... down like a domino. So since I had more Pi's I just put two on each. Also, the 10 port USB hub that worked great on the PC was not happy at all on the Pi. Strange... still tinkering with it though.

It's still awesome to see three little black boxes (2 BFL, 1 Pi) generating ~1.6GHash with such little power and heat. I hope it will run a Jalapeño or an SC Single.  Cool

Also, if you are looking for a great case for the Pi this one is very nice: (Have 4, work great, quality)
http://builttospecstore.storenvy.com/products/404262-raspberry-pi-enclosure-kit

I prefer either that case:
https://www.modmypi.com/shop/raspberry-pi-cases/raspberry-pi-case-white
or that case (which I use):
http://www.shapeways.com/model/486999/

The Pi should be able to handle a large number of BFL Singles, if you use 'top' to look at CPU usage, there should be no more than a few percent usage for 1 or 2 Singles.

Some people have reported that certain USB hubs seem to give hardware issues.

One thing I noticed that pushes CPU load to 99% is trying to redirect stdio (e.g. using the '&' operator) to /dev/null on cgminer.

But the mere fact that you have several Singles mining should not be the issue.

@Jezzz: Thanks for the test results, that's great to hear!

BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:13:25 AM

The pi hammers out 10 BFLs like a champ.  No issues whatsoever.  I'll keep monitoring it tonight and tomorrow, but so far it's a glowing success.

That's good to hear, my issues might be related to the USB hub then. If you don't mind sharing, what make/model are you using?
Jezzz

Activity: 120

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:00:11 PM

That's good to hear, my issues might be related to the USB hub then. If you don't mind sharing, what make/model are you using?

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Power-Adapter-Control-Switches/dp/B0051PGX2I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345039001&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+hub
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:05:36 PM

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Power-Adapter-Control-Switches/dp/B0051PGX2I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1345039001&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+hub
Ordered, thanks.  Wink
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 01:46:06 AM

Any information as to which ones to avoid?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:50:26 PM

Any information as to which ones to avoid?

Here you go:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Powered_USB_Hubs
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 04:55:15 PM

You sir earned a cookie!

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
Ginsley

Activity: 234
Merit: 114

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:10:45 PM

Hi,

i have no more clue - the biggest problem i think is, that i am not used to Linux^^
I used the instructions described here to install cgminer on my RPi with Wheezy.
So far it worked (besides smaller problems like "libusb is not installed" while running ./configure --enable-ztex -> libusb-dev was installed, but after installing libusb-1.0-0 this worked)

I havnt got any ttyUSB* in my /dev folder - so i followed the further modprobe instructions and got a ttyUSB0 in the folder.

Just thought i am lucky and can mine now - but cgminer just says "No devices detected"

Does anyone know this problem and can help me? It would be to nice if i could get my board running on the RPi.

I am using a RPi with 512MB ram, the newest Wheezy (from 28th octobre) and my ZTex 1.15x is noticed by dmesg.
I downloaded the version of cgminer linked in the post here (landed on cgminer-master branch).
I tried to install BFGMiner in hope this will work but i cant do ./autogen.sh cause it says it could not find git.

1HYeuyxKHGmFs1ARvAPGgmEW9pW6u8L26U
bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:08:53 PM

You sir earned a cookie!
No problem, glad to help.
bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:15:33 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2012, 02:37:33 PM by bitcoindaddy

Hi,

i have no more clue - the biggest problem i think is, that i am not used to Linux^^
I used the instructions described here to install cgminer on my RPi with Wheezy.
So far it worked (besides smaller problems like "libusb is not installed" while running ./configure --enable-ztex -> libusb-dev was installed, but after installing libusb-1.0-0 this worked)

I havnt got any ttyUSB* in my /dev folder - so i followed the further modprobe instructions and got a ttyUSB0 in the folder.

Just thought i am lucky and can mine now - but cgminer just says "No devices detected"

Does anyone know this problem and can help me? It would be to nice if i could get my board running on the RPi.

I am using a RPi with 512MB ram, the newest Wheezy (from 28th octobre) and my ZTex 1.15x is noticed by dmesg.
I downloaded the version of cgminer linked in the post here (landed on cgminer-master branch).
I tried to install BFGMiner in hope this will work but i cant do ./autogen.sh cause it says it could not find git.

Does dmesg tell you what device the ztex shows up as ?  because you can specify that device on the cgminer command line.  Make sure libusb-dev is installed for ztex auto detection as well as libudev-dev:

sudo apt-get install libusb-dev
sudo apt-get install libudev-dev
Ginsley

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:39:39 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2012, 04:50:58 PM by Ginsley

Hi,

dmesg | grep -i ztex gives the following output
[  867.285970] usb 1-1.3.3: Manufacturer: ZTEX

dmesg | grep -i vendor gives that output
[  949.549067] usb 1-1.3.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=046a, idProduct=0023

After doing
sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x221a product=0x0100
i get a ttyUSB0 in the /dev folder and i do
sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB*

The packages libusb-dev and libudev-dev are installed as the newest version (apt-get says that).

So far it looks right and from the tutorials it should work. But cgminer just says
"All devices disabled, cannot mine!"

How do i specify the device on the commandline? Seems to be my last hope before trying it with Debian Squeeze

EDIT:
I just found out how to specify a device - it should be
cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB0 or
cgminer --scan-serial /dev/ttyUSB0

But cgminer just says this is an unrecognized option :/ Can it be i have a wrong cgminer-version or something?
cgminer -V says its cgminer 2.9.1

bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 05:59:27 PM

Hi,

[  949.549067] usb 1-1.3.4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=046a, idProduct=0023

After doing

The packages libusb-dev and libudev-dev are installed as the newest version (apt-get says that).

So far it looks right and from the tutorials it should work. But cgminer just says

How do i specify the device on the commandline? Seems to be my last hope before trying it with Debian Squeeze

EDIT:

But cgminer just says this is an unrecognized option :/ Can it be i have a wrong cgminer-version or something?

Did you compile the code yourself or download a binary? Was is compiled with the option to recognize the ztex?
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 06:19:17 PM

I had lot of issues with mine, the filesystem kept getting corrupted when I overloaded USB ports. After some investigation I found that USB hub design its crap, you need to bridge polyfuses and add a big, low ESR, electrolytic capacitor, in order to avoid power spikes caused by USB devices. Like this:

http://theiopage.blogspot.nl/

Also try to add a small ceramic cap (100nF) on SD card power supply pins.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
bitcoindaddy

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 03:10:18 PM

If I manage to get one of the ASIC devices sent to me, I'll probably run it on a PC for the first couple weeks - just to make sure I milk as much coin from it as possible. I don't have any history with the raspberry pi and won't trust it until I see it run for days at a time without problems.
Ginsley

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 08:56:31 PM

Hi,

After doing

EDIT:

Did you compile the code yourself or download a binary? Was is compiled with the option to recognize the ztex?

I did it this way:

Code:
unzip cgminer-master
cd cgminer-master
aclocal
./autogen.sh
export LIBCURL_CFLAGS='-I/usr/include/curl'
export LIBCURL_LIBS='-L/usr/lib -lcurl'
./configure --enable-ztex
make
sudo make install

I followed the instructions from one of the posts in this thread. Its on page two - there is a link to cgminer too, i followed it and got the cgminer-master.zip. Just dont know, if its right or wrong.

haarts

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 10:05:26 PM

I believe it is possible; I'm certainly going to try it. Currently I'm following this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=121253.0
Be sure to add
Code:
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
to
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list
ChipGeek

Activity: 198

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:57:31 AM

I also wrote a guide (with LOTS of help) for running cgminer on a R-Pi here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg1229746#msg1229746

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
Ginsley

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 04:58:47 PM

Hi ChipGeek,

i followed your instructions - my ZTex isnt found again.
Even the option -S isnt recognized by cgminer

[2012-11-12 16:56:29] cgminer: -S: unrecognized option

This time i have taken the cgminer directly from git - as you mentioned in your instructions...

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: