Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:30:24 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox vs mysterious Russia  (Read 35979 times)
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 03:15:19 PM

Great work on resolving the problem and defending subsequent DDoS attempts Tux.  This whole event has made me feel a bit more secure with the valuation of BTC.  For such an extensive (multi-day) attack shutting down the largest exchange, the price has barely been affected.  I was expecting a price dump into the $2.00-2.25 range as a result of people getting scared.

All this DDoS did was allow more time for deposits/wires to be added/cleared. That money is going to Gox for 1 reason only: to buy. So you have several days of pent up demand pushing prices higher.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 03:18:23 PM

Back to $3.50 already. I wonder what happened to that guy who sold all his BTC at $3.50.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Mahkul

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 04:38:02 PM

Great work on resolving the problem and defending subsequent DDoS attempts Tux.  This whole event has made me feel a bit more secure with the valuation of BTC.  For such an extensive (multi-day) attack shutting down the largest exchange, the price has barely been affected.  I was expecting a price dump into the $2.00-2.25 range as a result of people getting scared.

Congratulations from me as well. Also, I am proud of our community that we didn't let those incidents affect our faith in Bitcoin. Of course, these attacks were not aimed at the Bitcoin network itself (which is not easy to be attacked), only the websites related to it; nevertheless, some people might have lost faith for a while.

I would love to find out who organised this attack. I wonder would he be equally courageous face to face.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 04:41:23 PM

Congratulations from me as well. Also, I am proud of our community that we didn't let those incidents affect our faith in Bitcoin. Of course, these attacks were not aimed at the Bitcoin network itself (which is not easy to be attacked), only the websites related to it; nevertheless, some people might have lost faith for a while.

I would love to find out who organised this attack. I wonder would he be equally courageous face to face.

+1 Seems like majority here are in for the long ride.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 07:20:01 PM

+1 Seems like majority here are in for the long ride.

+1

Mahkul

View Profile
May 04, 2011, 07:43:10 PM

... I am proud of our community that we didn't let those incidents affect our faith in Bitcoin. Of course, these attacks were not aimed at the Bitcoin network itself (which is not easy to be attacked), only the websites related to it; nevertheless, some people might have lost faith for a while.

I suppose there was more greed than fear in the face of those ddoses i.e. something along one of the following lines:

-- aha, I now have some time to transfer some money to mtgox before we hit 5$
-- aha, maybe everyone get scared and stop mining and I'll be able to mine a few more bitcoins while difficulty is still lower than 1 million.

Smiley
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 07:51:42 AM

Heya,

Attacker is back, and has a new email address (it starts with fuuuuckyouuuuumtgox). I think he's not happy.

Anyway we'll try tweaking the ddos protections to avoid blocking legit traffic, it's going to take a bit more time.

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 08:12:16 AM

Wow this attacker is such a loser!

Is there any particular pattern to this attack? Are the majority of IPs from a specific country (I heard Vietnam being mentioned earlier)? Is there any way to directly counter attack his botnet or whatever means he is using to launch this attack? Anything you can do beyond just soak up the bandwidth bitch slap?

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:21:39 AM

Heya,

Attacker is back, and has a new email address (it starts with fuuuuckyouuuuumtgox). I think he's not happy.

Anyway we'll try tweaking the ddos protections to avoid blocking legit traffic, it's going to take a bit more time.

You'd think he'd of noticed that his attacks have caused a sort of rally behind MtGox, which, I take it, is not what he wants.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:28:16 AM

The ISP support said:

It's largely a TCP option flood.  We are making adjustments to mitigate this and the smaller miscellaneous attacks also targeting the site, it should come online shortly.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:34:53 AM

The ISP support said:

It's largely a TCP option flood.  We are making adjustments to mitigate this and the smaller miscellaneous attacks also targeting the site, it should come online shortly.

What was the actual reason for btcex & other russians DDoSing you ?  

Does he claim that you speculate/manipulate market or what ?

MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:36:06 AM

The ISP support said:

It's largely a TCP option flood.  We are making adjustments to mitigate this and the smaller miscellaneous attacks also targeting the site, it should come online shortly.

What was the actual reason for btcex's DDoSing you ? 

The guy who mailed me requests to pay him $7000 (yep, got $2000 more because I reported him) first told me he wants rates down, then told me he needs the money.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 08:52:05 AM

The ISP support said:

The guy who mailed me requests to pay him $7000 (yep, got $2000 more because I reported him) first told me he wants rates down, then told me he needs the money.

This is ridiculous. It's really unfortunate that this guy doesn't get economics as well as DDoSing.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MagicalTux (OP)
VIP

-

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:55:17 AM

The ISP support said:

This is ridiculous. It's really unfortunate that this guy doesn't get economics as well as DDoSing.

Site seems back up, ISP is doing its job.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 08:57:49 AM

The ISP support said:

It's largely a TCP option flood.  We are making adjustments to mitigate this and the smaller miscellaneous attacks also targeting the site, it should come online shortly.

You should tell him that you've taken his request to the Ministry of Bitcoin Exchanges and the Ministry agrees that rates should come down , and, furthermore, the Ministry has decided that the exchange rate will be adjusted so that 1BTC will always equal 1USD forever and henceforth.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2011, 09:13:00 AM

You could also make him an offer he can't refuse...7000 carrots!

Mahkul

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 09:51:13 AM

The ISP support said:

I am getting:

Code:
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
Mahkul

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 09:54:13 AM

The ISP support said:

I am getting:

Code:
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Nevermind, it's okay now.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 12:56:55 PM

The ISP support said:

So wait, are you telling me that the 0,65% is so much for him that he actually needed to DDoS you... ?
Or was it about the BTC/USD rate ?

In soviet russia.... money taxes you it seems.

schnak

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2011, 01:47:25 PM

You could also make him an offer he can't refuse...7000 carrots!

ship the guy a crate of 7K carrots?..... I actually think I would like to see that.   Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: