Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:42:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN Antminer S3 support and OverClocking thread  (Read 158110 times)
pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 02:37:42 PM

If you have bricked your control board, you can unbrick it via the serial header using a USB to TTL dongle.
Here's a link to how to do it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=889206.msg9902302#msg9902302

irobb

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 07:58:23 PM

Just got my S3+ today.  So far so good.  It had an OCT 24 2014 firmware on it but I replaced it with the latest antMiner_S320150109.bin.

I set the voltage through the GUI to 250, didn't even change anything with the voltage, and hit save/apply. 

Hashing at ~500GH.
tompop2

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 02:42:00 PM

Please help me...
http://prntscr.com/5ut4us
cenicsoft

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 01:28:21 AM

Please help me...

Your error rate is quite high.  You should dial back the clock speed.

BannerCoin - officially trading on EtherDelta.
BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 03:58:22 AM

Please help me...

Error rate % calculator: http://www.coincadence.com/antminer-s1-hardware-error/

Was built in S1 days, math is the same...
cenicsoft

Activity: 276
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 06:03:55 PM

Please help me...

Error rate % calculator: http://www.coincadence.com/antminer-s1-hardware-error/

Was built in S1 days, math is the same...

None of my S3's have error rates higher than slightly above .03%. Clocks vary from 237 to 250. You may need to play with the voltage as well to get the right mix. Not all S3's will hash at 500Gh/s though so you may simply have one that is slower.

BannerCoin - officially trading on EtherDelta.
BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
rpandassociates

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:58:03 AM

error rate of 230 in 20 mins yeah thats obsurd I can got 7days and only get around 80 HW
These are a batch 8 S3
the rest are S3+ batch 11 and i have them all running at 250mhz stock voltage and hash steady 505 GHS
the very last S3+ i ordered does even better it gets 40 HW or less for 7 days

I did recently order some suppose to be s3+'s off of ebay and got them at a best offer price, thee dickhead thought he was being slick and sent me S3's instead Like i dont know the difference Smiley I got a whole rack of em. Anyways the ones he sent me were early batches S3 not S3+'s like i paid for. at the stock settings they were doing crazy HW errors like the one above, in fact in a 24hr period they had over 10k HW's If i tried to push the fequency even a tad bit X's started popping up.

Fortunately since because he sent me S3's and not S3+'s ebay made him take them back. Just ordered my first S5 with the refund for exactly what i paid him ($380) for those 2 trashed S3's.

But yeah if you got 200+ HW in 20 mins thats not good and reminds me of those trashed S3's that idiot tried to push off on me.

irobb

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:37:39 AM

What was the ebay seller's name?  I wonder if it was the same guy I got my S3 from...
rpandassociates

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 07:53:54 AM

ebay guys name was dringdahl0320
I left him a real nice review haha

He had a whole rack of what was suppose to be s3+'s
After i seen i had issues i looked closer at the image and he had the exhaust from some miners blowing into the intakes of others probably the ones (s3's) he sent me.

Fortunately my case fell under the buyer protection as they were sold to me as S3+'s and he sent me S3's otherwise i would of been stuck with them.

in addition once i sent them back he did the refund via echeck which caused like a 10 day delay in getting my money back. And we all know what delays in the mining business mean.

Fortunately i found a guy selling brand new S5's for like $425 I made him a best offer of $380 and he agreed. Should be in my rack this week. Smiley brand spanking new from his last presale batch 4 - full bitmain 90day minus shipping time warranty Smiley so in the end I came out right on track with better power efficency Smiley now what to do with the other powersupply , i bought 2 when i ordered those damn S3's.

Looks like I will be ordering another S5 haha Smiley

Been watching the s3+'s and there were many this week that sold for around $100 so kind of glad he tried to scam me and i got to send them back as i gave him $380 for 2 with shipping figured in.

at any rate hope you didnt get the ones i had they are damn near paper weights. They would only run at 218mhz without X's popping up and even at 218 they had crazy hw Rates if i would of bben stuck with them i was going to tear them down and reapply the thermal paste, known issue with early batch S3's plus looking at the images the way he had them lined up they were probably cooked. But from what i read alot of the earlier S3's had slopy thermal paste so bad it was all over the chip connections causing chips to short, and then some post i read some chips were missing thermal paste all together, which would cuse that asic to overheat and X out. Alot and I mean alot of the early S3's from what i read had thermal paste oozing out of the heatsink holes and peole were having lots of issues with chips malfuntioning because of it. all my S3's are batch 8 and up through the S3+'s my last one i bought , they released the C1 1 week later. I finally bought a C1 and they released the S5 4 days later, but likie the S3's never buy the first batch Smiley My C1 is batch 2, and my S5 i got coming is batch 4

Now My c1 its a pain in the butt it hashes all over the place up and down like a roller coaster, check the C1 discussion thread nice images of my graph up and down up and down haha. Then sometimes when i reboot it a entire board will X out. I have to do a PSU reboot to fix that. But i still got 60 days warranty on that but i swear it keeps doing it and its going back. I am not impressed by its stability, and its a batch 2 from what i hear the C1 batch 1 had some issues. This may be a C1 firmware issue but I am keeping a very close eye on it and its warranty date Smiley

Now just crossing my fingers that my S5 being Batch 4 is issue free Smiley

so in summary if you bought those S3's from that guy and cant send them back, try tearing them down and reapplying the thermal paste.

Good Luck

rpandassociates

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 08:01:12 AM

and also get your hands on the october firmware I had some serious issues with the newest firmware dropping hash rate and such. Its a pain in the butt to downgrade form the newest firmware as well so if you installed the latest firmware make absolutely sure you check out the threads on steps to take before trying to downgrade, a cpl people bricked their machines i found you have to reset the stock voltage thenreboot via psu, then when you apply the old firmware make sure you uncheck the keep settings box. otherwise all hell breaks loose. And if your not careful you can brick it. Makes a very expensive hurricane proof  paperweight
irobb

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:53:51 PM

You've had quite the experience. I got my s3 from a different guy.  The latest firmware hasn't caused any issues for me (knock on wood) and it's been 12 days without reboot with minimal HW.

I also had issues with my C1 rates. I set it to 243.75 freq and 0730 voltage and it seems to like that setting the most.

daehbew

Activity: 54

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 11:31:23 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2015, 11:45:55 AM by daehbew

I have 2x Antminer S3
Kernel Version   3.10.12

not sure of batch or how to check..

I know how to do PUTTY > ssh > modify the # comments etc.. did for S1's I used to own.

trying to get these S3's to overlcock at 250/250 freq

when I release comments on the 250 freq setting and save > exit > reboot

it will save, but when the system reboots it runs at maximum 225/225 frequency...

why is this?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/daehbew/s3mining.jpg~original

is it even possible to exceed 225 on all s3 units? or some are hardwired to not exceed?
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 01:25:19 PM

I have 2x Antminer S3
Kernel Version   3.10.12

not sure of batch or how to check..

I know how to do PUTTY > ssh > modify the # comments etc.. did for S1's I used to own.

trying to get these S3's to overlcock at 250/250 freq

when I release comments on the 250 freq setting and save > exit > reboot

it will save, but when the system reboots it runs at maximum 225/225 frequency...

why is this?

is it even possible to exceed 225 on all s3 units? or some are hardwired to not exceed?

It's possible you just have to insert the frequencies.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
daehbew

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 02:23:46 PM

what do you mean?

I've ssh'd it to run at 250.. isn't that all that is required?
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 02:46:55 PM

what do you mean?

It can run higher.  I have a couple running at 262 and the others running at 275.  You have to actually edit it in a couple of areas. 

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
pekatete

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 02:56:37 PM

what do you mean?

Check if you have an Advanced Settings tab under the Miner Configuration tab, if so, you need to click on it and set the frequency there. Latter firmware also does not read frequency settings from that file ... rather another one.

daehbew

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 10:19:55 AM

what do you mean?

Check if you have an Advanced Settings tab under the Miner Configuration tab, if so, you need to click on it and set the frequency there. Latter firmware also does not read frequency settings from that file ... rather another one.

It worked!!! thanks!!!! Cheesy Cheesy
now if I can overclock the C1 miner Undecided
pekatete

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2015, 11:11:50 AM

what do you mean?

Good. Same thing for C1.

Zeta0S
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 06, 2015, 04:55:28 AM

what do you mean?

Under-clock it, not overclock it

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com
daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2015, 12:24:53 PM

what do you mean?

Under-clock it, not overclock it

why would I want to underclock... overclock = stronger hashrate = more bitcoins
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: