Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Storjcoin X (SJCX) - A Coin for Decentralized Cloud Storage  (Read 400919 times)
TinkerTom

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:20:35 PM

First off, I'm very interested in Storj and will likely at least invest a bit. I'm still not really clear on the technical details and really wish the crowdsale wasn't started until things were a little more clear. Obviously things can change even if they were well defined, so I can live with some ambiguity, especially as you all seem up front about it.

For everyone calling scam, perhaps you should do some research.  Shawn and David, the two guys behind Storj and Maidsafe, are seen hear talking with each other.  They both have stated that their projects should eventually compliment each other...and the dev work for both is already progressing well.  I'm on the Maidsafe side but appreciate what Storj is doing...so do some research before calling scam!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maidsafe-development/VS7PVXweMsc

Thanks for the link (clickable version), interesting read. I'm assuming the technical aspects are outdated though, or no?

My team and I have been working on some prototype front end software that allows users to store files on our prototype decentralized network. Storj is able to easily keep track of files on multiple networks, but doesn't handle the core physical storage of the file. That is where MaidSafe can come in. I think with just a bit of Python, can link the MaidSafe software to the prototype front end software. This will provide MaidSafe with its first solid decentralized application running on top of the network, which also could be a nice little demo to show around. It will solves Storj's problems in terms of providing scalable decentralized storage for the prototype.

This wouldn't seem to leave much of anything for Storj to do and I'm not sure why the coin would be necessary, or have value. I'm guessing this is out of date, but I'm still wondering where the data will live.

On a different note, there's an interesting discussion over on Maidsafe.org about the economics of a coin that's linked to the value of storage. In a (badly butchered I'm sure) nutshell, the cost of storage has decreased by about 30% a year -- how does that effect the value of the coin? (Now that I tracked down the link, the OP has added an edit stating he thinks the value will rise, but it's an interesting discussion in any case.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MemoryShock

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 12:29:28 AM

I posted that merely to show that there was a dialogue with an established dev to show credibility...it might well be out dated...

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Storj (OP)

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 03:23:17 AM

First off, I'm very interested in Storj and will likely at least invest a bit. I'm still not really clear on the technical details and really wish the crowdsale wasn't started until things were a little more clear. Obviously things can change even if they were well defined, so I can live with some ambiguity, especially as you all seem up front about it.

For everyone calling scam, perhaps you should do some research.  Shawn and David, the two guys behind Storj and Maidsafe, are seen hear talking with each other.  They both have stated that their projects should eventually compliment each other...and the dev work for both is already progressing well.  I'm on the Maidsafe side but appreciate what Storj is doing...so do some research before calling scam!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/maidsafe-development/VS7PVXweMsc

Thanks for the link (clickable version), interesting read. I'm assuming the technical aspects are outdated though, or no?

My team and I have been working on some prototype front end software that allows users to store files on our prototype decentralized network. Storj is able to easily keep track of files on multiple networks, but doesn't handle the core physical storage of the file. That is where MaidSafe can come in. I think with just a bit of Python, can link the MaidSafe software to the prototype front end software. This will provide MaidSafe with its first solid decentralized application running on top of the network, which also could be a nice little demo to show around. It will solves Storj's problems in terms of providing scalable decentralized storage for the prototype.

This wouldn't seem to leave much of anything for Storj to do and I'm not sure why the coin would be necessary, or have value. I'm guessing this is out of date, but I'm still wondering where the data will live.

On a different note, there's an interesting discussion over on Maidsafe.org about the economics of a coin that's linked to the value of storage. In a (badly butchered I'm sure) nutshell, the cost of storage has decreased by about 30% a year -- how does that effect the value of the coin? (Now that I tracked down the link, the OP has added an edit stating he thinks the value will rise, but it's an interesting discussion in any case.)

Hi,

Our current specs can be seen on github.com/Storj.

In regards to your second question I have actually been doing some reports and thinking about the economics behind a commodity/ currency that is based off of digital storage. I have not made my way over to the maidsafe article you pointed out but I will read that as soon as I am done.

It is simpply just a supply and demand idea that is behind most currencies. Let us say that in the early stages of Storj we have a user that joins who is bringing a lot of demand with him/her (might be a video producer or an engineer that has huge files to store on our network) obviously they are willing to pay more and that will drive the price of SJCX up. Now, on the flip side, you have a person that wants to make some decent profit off of Storj and brings massive amount of data but not much use to use it. This increase in storage will bring the price of SJCX down a bit. But again, once Storj grows to the scale we are hoping for, these fluctuations will be quite small because of the amount already there.

And yes you are correct that storage is getting cheaper, but if you look at it from the other side; there is a lot more demand that is coming soon from all the companies and large groups of people that are going to start to store data on the "cloud"

I would love to have a discussion about the economics behind Storj if you would like to email me with questions: derek@storj.io

Great questions!

We really appreciate your thoughts and are glad you are involved.

Cheers
profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 10:39:20 AM

Here is an interest, if slightly old (2012) article which may allay an fears over this issue:  http://blog.dshr.org/2012/10/storage-will-be-lot-less-free-than-it.html

Some of the main takeaway points:

"
  • According to IDC, the demand for storage each year grows about 60%.
  • According to IHS iSuppli, the bit density on the platters of disk drives will grow no more than 20%/year for the next 5 years.
  • According to computereconomics.com, IT budgets in recent years have grown between 0%/year and 2%/year.
"

So basically, whilst the cost of a given unit of storage is going down, the total cost of storage is going up. Therefore:

"10 years from now, storing all the accumulated data would cost over 20 times as much as it does this year. If storage is 5% of your IT budget this year, in 10 years it will be more than 100% of your budget. "
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 04:11:53 PM

Great find on the economics. Can you throw up a SJCX tip address?
Storj could you cross post this in our forum? Might be worth doing some more research on this.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
profitofthegods

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 04:22:02 PM

Storj could you cross post this in our forum? Might be worth doing some more research on this.

Tips are great!!! 17jLdysPxcatDUxHr8Z3xX2sUeCV3Hcah5

Thank you, and I hope this info can be useful in helping to convince any skeptics out there how much Storj is needed and how successful it is going to be!
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 04:37:00 PM

Tips are great!!! 17jLdysPxcatDUxHr8Z3xX2sUeCV3Hcah5

Thank you, and I hope this info can be useful in helping to convince any skeptics out there how much Storj is needed and how successful it is going to be!
Threw in what was left in my wallet. I need to go get more SJCX.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
profitofthegods

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 04:42:54 PM

Threw in what was left in my wallet. I need to go get more SJCX.

Thanks!
mthompson362

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2014, 05:27:12 AM

For anybody wondering, MaidSafe and Storj compare in the sense that they are attempting very similar things just in a different way. The two plan on integrating at some point as well.
ddnn46

Activity: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:41:10 PM

what is the number of total coins?
thx.
provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:01:20 PM

will investe some later.
mthompson362

Activity: 78

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2014, 02:09:06 AM

what is the number of total coins?
thx.
There will be 500,000,000 SJCX total.
ddeaNewtOn

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 04:48:26 PM

just wondering, what's the difference between this coin and

Xcloudcoin?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=722328.0

https://bittrex.com/Market/?MarketName=BTC-CLD
Relaxedsense

Activity: 809
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 11, 2014, 05:41:00 PM

just wondering, what's the difference between this coin and

Xcloudcoin?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=722328.0

https://bittrex.com/Market/?MarketName=BTC-CLD
If you dont understand that then you didnt do enough research.

But allright, here is your answer. Found it on the CLD thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=722328.msg8298112#msg8298112.

Bit more research next time allright?
Sev0

Activity: 37

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 07:47:30 AM

What if the goal of 9800 BTC isn't reached after 6 days?!  Huh
Refund?
Or are my coins lost?
dadingsda
Legendary

Activity: 1310

View Profile
August 13, 2014, 08:22:29 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2014, 04:43:32 PM by dadingsda

Is IPO over in six days?

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
-Greed-

Activity: 910

Decentralized Jihad

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:43:51 AM

One of coins I do want to keep after IPO/presale ends instead of dumping. I wish the devs have great success with the project! Smiley

alternate

Activity: 79

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 09:33:56 AM

After syscoin and eth,i decide to invest this coin though most ppl think this is crazy Grin
fox19891989

Activity: 840

View Profile
August 18, 2014, 03:52:01 AM

when will be launched?
profitofthegods

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 11:48:44 AM

when will be launched?

Beta launch will start as soon as the crowdsale finishes I think, but its being rolled out in stages and to start off with you can only uses it if you have bought coins in the pre-sale.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: