Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:43:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S3 Setup [HD]  (Read 137367 times)
rpandassociates

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:27:11 PM

Yes first cpl days had to burn the chinese stink off of it Smiley The C1 eminated a plastic tubing smell for a cpl days.
The fan speeds are fine. Run alot slower than mine but I live in florida and my ambient room temp is 74 F now and runs 78F in the summer

My S3's run anywhere from 42-45C and my fans run 2100-2600

They are as loud as my desktop running full throttle, but not as loud as a vacuum cleaner Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tokona

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2015, 07:53:23 PM

Yes first cpl days had to burn the chinese stink off of it Smiley The C1 eminated a plastic tubing smell for a cpl days.
The fan speeds are fine. Run alot slower than mine but I live in florida and my ambient room temp is 74 F now and runs 78F in the summer

My S3's run anywhere from 42-45C and my fans run 2100-2600

They are as loud as my desktop running full throttle, but not as loud as a vacuum cleaner Smiley

Hihihi chinese stink. It will get warmer in this apartment, in Sweden the summer sux inside we do not have AC here.
I have a boring imac, so the only good thing about it is that its quiet.

tokona

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2015, 07:37:26 PM

If i move my S3 to a another city, is there any way i can control it from where i live (in another city)?

rpandassociates

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:43:06 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 08:07:16 PM by rpandassociates

Involves configuring a port on that network router for the S3 like 192.168.1.4 (s3) address then some cusotm port 88 or something then to access from another place goto that routers real IP address:88, A static Ip address for that network would make it alot simpler. But you can use a dynamic IP as well as long as you know what that IP changes to when it changes Smiley
Google  "run a server from my home PC"  the same networking technique can be applied to the antminers I do mine this way and control them from anywhere.

You could also use a service like http://freedns.no-ip.com/ and get a free ddns.net domain name Smiley point it to that routers real IP

then setup port forwarding inside your router add a different port for each mine

then you can either access it via the ddns domain name or by entering the IP address followed by port number
(ipaddresss):81

Just make sure you setup a strong login so a port scan attack doesnt reveal the ports and someone logs in and takes over your miner. Changing the pool payout and password would be very bad.
Which is why i wont share my DDNS address publically or otherwise I would just be asking to get port scanned and a brute force attack might allow someone to crack my logins Smiley Not sure how secure the antminers ssh login system is yet, have not seen any thread about it Smiley

dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2015, 09:21:56 PM

If i move my S3 to a another city, is there any way i can control it from where i live (in another city)?

If the above is too complicated for you, you could also install teamviewer on a laptop on that network. That way you can always teamviewer in and control the units as if you were at home.

tokona

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 12:17:44 AM

Involves configuring a port on that network router for the S3 like 192.168.1.4 (s3) address then some cusotm port 88 or something then to access from another place goto that routers real IP address:88, A static Ip address for that network would make it alot simpler. But you can use a dynamic IP as well as long as you know what that IP changes to when it changes Smiley
Google  "run a server from my home PC"  the same networking technique can be applied to the antminers I do mine this way and control them from anywhere.

You could also use a service like http://freedns.no-ip.com/ and get a free ddns.net domain name Smiley point it to that routers real IP

then setup port forwarding inside your router add a different port for each mine

then you can either access it via the ddns domain name or by entering the IP address followed by port number
(ipaddresss):81

Just make sure you setup a strong login so a port scan attack doesnt reveal the ports and someone logs in and takes over your miner. Changing the pool payout and password would be very bad.
Which is why i wont share my DDNS address publically or otherwise I would just be asking to get port scanned and a brute force attack might allow someone to crack my logins Smiley Not sure how secure the antminers ssh login system is yet, have not seen any thread about it Smiley

Interesting Thank you very much!

tokona

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 12:18:11 AM

If the above is too complicated for you, you could also install teamviewer on a laptop on that network. That way you can always teamviewer in and control the units as if you were at home.
Thank you so much dogie!

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2015, 02:01:50 AM

Thank you so much dogie!

No problem.

biazar

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:24:11 PM

I bought some S3's a few weeks ago from someone and I accidentally configured a static IP address on the LAN interface instead of the WAN. Since my Fing app didn't discover the new static address, I rebooted the device, but after that, I couldn't connect to the S3 anymore. The web GUI isn't available, ssh doesn't work and even a ping is not working. However, the device is hashing and I can see in Fing that it still has the same ip address that was given by my router the first time it connected.

I've tried to reset the device in every way I could find on the internet, but the device just won't reset to factory defaults. Every time I reboot, it starts hashing again and gets the same IP address. I gave my laptop that ip address and rebooted the S3, but it doesn't get another address, it just doesn't hash, until I change the settings on my laptop and reboot again.

Any help would be much appreciated.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 03:39:43 PM

I bought some S3's a few weeks ago from someone and I accidentally configured a static IP address on the LAN interface instead of the WAN. Since my Fing app didn't discover the new static address, I rebooted the device, but after that, I couldn't connect to the S3 anymore. The web GUI isn't available, ssh doesn't work and even a ping is not working. However, the device is hashing and I can see in Fing that it still has the same ip address that was given by my router the first time it connected.

I've tried to reset the device in every way I could find on the internet, but the device just won't reset to factory defaults. Every time I reboot, it starts hashing again and gets the same IP address. I gave my laptop that ip address and rebooted the S3, but it doesn't get another address, it just doesn't hash, until I change the settings on my laptop and reboot again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Easiest to solve this one via teamviewer. PM me details when you're on and I'll fix it.

Please consider filling out a quick survey about my guides to help improve them! You'll be entered into a raffle to win 2x $20 vouchers as a thank you.

rpandassociates

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 06:10:12 PM

I did your survey Dogie rules !!!!!! Dont care what all you other haters and naysayers say. Dogie is the guy I got to for anwsers, dont see any of you Dogie bashers creating guides Smiley
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 04:28:39 AM

I did your survey Dogie rules !!!!!! Dont care what all you other haters and naysayers say. Dogie is the guy I got to for anwsers, dont see any of you Dogie bashers creating guides Smiley

Thanks

xZork

Activity: 1249
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 03:37:49 AM

Yet another wifi question.  I've never needed to use wifi on any of my ants before, but it's either get wifi to work or sell them and I would rather keep them. I don not have any antennas yet, didn't want to buy them until I had wifi working. I have 1 S3+ right next to me on the floor, router on the desk to my left, so 3 feet apart? I have connected one of the wifi cables from an S1 to the S3+ to see if it would help, case is still off.  When I scan for networks, I get something like 92% for my network and can even see a few of my neighbors faintly. However when I connect to it I get 0 signal and every now and then a blip of communication under "Associated Stations" in the wifi tab.

I know you have to edit WAN from static to DHCP Client and proceed from there but as far as my understanding that was so you didn't have to jump start it so to speak.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

I do have another unit at home, going to see if it acts different.

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
tadzio

Activity: 344

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:48:00 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2015, 03:47:58 PM by tadzio

I have p2pool node set up on laptop (coinD is synced and connected to network) - for solomining some other coin.
I've connected s3 DIRECTLY to that PC. I can access antminer setup page so I understand network setup is ok.
My PC IP (with the node) is set to 192.168.1.1. (p2pool stats page shows after entering it to webbrowser)
I have only LAN set up on S3 - I guess this is fine since S3 should only connect to local p2pool?

In my S3 pool setup i enter:

pool:192.168.1.1:9374 (this is the port on which node waits for workers)
worker: <wallet address>
password: x

Status page on S3 is empty... "This section contains no values yet"

This is my first antminer so maybe I'm missing something obvious...?
Edit:
My setup
Code:
               Ethernet             WiFi
    S3        <-------->  Laptop <--------> Router (WEB)
192.168.1.99            192.168.1.1
                       running coinD
                      + p2pool node
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 04:12:26 PM

Yet another wifi question.  I've never needed to use wifi on any of my ants before, but it's either get wifi to work or sell them and I would rather keep them. I don not have any antennas yet, didn't want to buy them until I had wifi working. I have 1 S3+ right next to me on the floor, router on the desk to my left, so 3 feet apart? I have connected one of the wifi cables from an S1 to the S3+ to see if it would help, case is still off.  When I scan for networks, I get something like 92% for my network and can even see a few of my neighbors faintly. However when I connect to it I get 0 signal and every now and then a blip of communication under "Associated Stations" in the wifi tab.

I know you have to edit WAN from static to DHCP Client and proceed from there but as far as my understanding that was so you didn't have to jump start it so to speak.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

I do have another unit at home, going to see if it acts different.

On something like that its easier if I (or someone else) helps you over teamviewer. There's about 10 things we can keep mashing to get it to work eventually, and its much easier than typing instructions one by one. PM me details when you're about, I'll usually be about sharpish.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2015, 04:14:45 PM

I have p2pool node set up on laptop (coinD is synced and connected to network) - for solomining some other coin.
I've connected s3 DIRECTLY to that PC. I can access antminer setup page so I understand network setup is ok.
My PC IP (with the node) is set to 192.168.1.1. (p2pool stats page shows after entering it to webbrowser)
I have only LAN set up on S3 - I guess this is fine since S3 should only connect to local p2pool?

Edit:
My setup
Code:
               Ethernet             WiFi
    S3        <-------->  Laptop <--------> Router (WEB)
192.168.1.99            192.168.1.1
                       running coinD
                      + p2pool node

Why don't you try with the S3 connected to the router directly? That way its acting like just another network device, rather than relying on your laptop to get it right. You shouldn't have to change anything else to give it a try once you've moved the cable over.

tadzio

Activity: 344

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:34:39 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2015, 09:26:13 AM by tadzio

Edit:
My setup
Code:
               Ethernet             WiFi
    S3        <-------->  Laptop <--------> Router (WEB)
192.168.1.99            192.168.1.1
                       running coinD
                      + p2pool node

Why don't you try with the S3 connected to the router directly? That way its acting like just another network device, rather than relying on your laptop to get it right. You shouldn't have to change anything else to give it a try once you've moved the cable over.
I can not connect directly to the router at this location. I'll give it one more try tomorrow - maybe reset to defaults?
If this will not work I'll change location where I can connect to router.
Thanks for reply dogie.

Edit: OK it worked from first try after reset and restart.
Also changed fans to THIS. So quiet now and still can manage 225M with 60C on 20C intake. Plus it looks much better with thinner fans Smiley
mayitzu

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 05:31:05 PM

Hello all,

I have an Antminer S3 (God knows what batch! --don't know how to tell).
I have been using Slush and GHash in load balanced mode.

First of, a couple of days ago I decided to upgrade its firmware to the latest available (in https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=007201407180243004432lBQW28O0633) which is [antMiner_S320150109.bin] to date. Unfortunately, as soon as the S3 rebooted, its max hashing power was hovering between 50 and 60 GHs. More over, some of my chips were showing xxxx. I thought I had partially bricked my S3 and started to [panic] move cables around as per some guides. Even considering checking the thermal paste too.

One guide suggested falling back to previous firmware. I had performed a backup but had no clue which firmware I had. So, I fell back to the very first [antMiner_S320140711.bin] and it worked, then I moved up to [antMiner_S320140721.bin] and it worked too, this time I jumped forward to the one to last [antMiner_S320141013.bin], no dice, similar symptoms. Then I moved backwards to [antMiner_S320140826.bin] and this one worked and was a keeper.

Anyone knows if the last two firmwares are faulty/buggy? Why would they fail to hash to 200+ GHs (overclocked)? Is there a way to make the latest firmware work? I noticed, while I had it that the GUI was faster, not that I really miss a lot though.

Also, I'd like to try multipool mining with GHash but the "-scrypt -o stratum+tcp://multi.ghash.io:3333" entry in the GUI does not work. Is SHA256 and SCRYPT at the same time possible in the S3? Any opinions or experiences with this? Should I not bother?

Last question for the experts/veterans: If it is known that GHash is the largest pool in the world. Why would I not want to pool exclusively with them and keep balancing with Slush, for instance? I understand I stand a better chance at solving "more" and "more often" blocks with GHash than anyone else. Right? I know the share also is smaller, but then more frequent pennies isn't better than "rare" dimes?

Excuse my ignorance. I'm totally new to this!   Roll Eyes
(threat: more questions coming in the near future... Smiley)

Mayitzu
bonds

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:55:59 AM

Also, I'd like to try multipool mining with GHash but the "-scrypt -o stratum+tcp://multi.ghash.io:3333" entry in the GUI does not work. Is SHA256 and SCRYPT at the same time possible in the S3? Any opinions or experiences with this? Should I not bother?

All ant miners are sha256 only.  They were going to release a scrypt unit back in December but that fell through, presumably due to the low value of scrypt coins currently.

1Bonds3znU2tqc99b8cdDkBX9m6q9ftVG2
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 07:53:32 PM

Anyone knows if the last two firmwares are faulty/buggy? Why would they fail to hash to 200+ GHs (overclocked)? Is there a way to make the latest firmware work? I noticed, while I had it that the GUI was faster, not that I really miss a lot though.

The last few revisions were attempting to support one version of S3 PCBs better, which unfortunately may do weird things on earlier S3s. There is no particular reason if you feel you're stable on any firmware after 12/19.

From your perspective no. From a network perspective, yada yada decentralisaiton yada yada. Some will argue that large pools are not good for the economy, but regardless of who it is, there will always be a biggest pool.

Excuse my ignorance. I'm totally new to this!   Roll Eyes
(threat: more questions coming in the near future... Smiley)

No problem, you're questions are valid and better than most newbies.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: