Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:11:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S3 Setup [HD]  (Read 137364 times)
BTCIRV

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2014, 11:51:57 PM

Dogie, as always your set up guides are very helpful. Thank you. I just got my first S3 from batch 9 today. Yeah, I know, late in the game, upgrading from my S1.

I've ordered the suggested antenna to add to it, for wifi.

A few questions:

1) Would it be better just to run the wire for the antenna out one of the PCI e plug holes in the top? Or is it better to drill and mount the thing.. seems a bit tricky to mount it each time with a 7" cable.

2) Also, I had problems setting up the Wifi on the S1 initially. Are there instructions for setting that up someplace? I don't see that on p. 1.

3) How do I overclock it? What's the best overclock guide? Is there a step by step someplace?

Right now the unit is on BTC Guild running at:

GH/S(5s) 456.44 - 468.92

GH/S(avg) 470.53

This thing was up in less than 10 minutes, but it seems odd that they don't include the short wire for the wifi when the card is included on the unit. At least the S1 had the pigtail thingy to screw on an antenna, which I took off another system.

Thanks again, Dogie!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2014, 05:38:16 AM

Dogie, as always your set up guides are very helpful. Thank you. I just got my first S3 from batch 9 today. Yeah, I know, late in the game, upgrading from my S1.

I've ordered the suggested antenna to add to it, for wifi.

A few questions:

1) Would it be better just to run the wire for the antenna out one of the PCI e plug holes in the top? Or is it better to drill and mount the thing.. seems a bit tricky to mount it each time with a 7" cable.

2) Also, I had problems setting up the Wifi on the S1 initially. Are there instructions for setting that up someplace? I don't see that on p. 1.

3) How do I overclock it? What's the best overclock guide? Is there a step by step someplace?

Right now the unit is on BTC Guild running at:

GH/S(5s) 456.44 - 468.92

GH/S(avg) 470.53

This thing was up in less than 10 minutes, but it seems odd that they don't include the short wire for the wifi when the card is included on the unit. At least the S1 had the pigtail thingy to screw on an antenna, which I took off another system.

Thanks again, Dogie!

1) You can run it out of the fan's cutout
2) No instructions, same as S1 though
3) tldr, don't. These units are at a power wall upwards so there is no headroom

Roey

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:53:19 PM

I did that, nothing happened Huh
Unfortunately I upgraded the firmware and have gotten the same result.  System won't boot.  Red light blinks every second and green light on ethernet blinks in bursts.  Factory reset did nothing.  Neither did moving the cables..which was a long shot.  I think the firmware update bricked the unit.

Did you get any support from Bitmain?  I send couple of emails and nothing.
Oh, by no connection you mean you can't connect to the S3 at all? Can't find it with an ip scanner? Checked the common subnets?

Hi all!

Anyone have any luck with this?  I have exactly the same issue - no fans, no ethernet connection, just the red blinking light.
Did you guys hear back from Bitmain?
smilingloki

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 02:38:36 AM

can someone give me a step by step on how to setup the wifi part of this? cheers

R.
IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 04:13:01 AM

Is there a link to a newbie guide on how to get started once you've got the hardware up and running?  I've got a S3+ that's powered on and I've got a blockchain account.  Want to try Slush's pool, but don't know where to start from there.  S3+ is powered on and connected to the network.  I've logged into the settings and set the correct date and time and location but don't really know where to go from there on setting for hashing.  Any links or setup guides (after the hardware)?  Should I upgrade to the newest CGMiner 4.6.1?  Is so, how?  Thanks in advance.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 11:27:38 AM

can someone give me a step by step on how to setup the wifi part of this? cheers

R.

See the S1 guide for wifi, its identical: http://goo.gl/0knELW

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 11:28:44 AM

Is there a link to a newbie guide on how to get started once you've got the hardware up and running?  I've got a S3+ that's powered on and I've got a blockchain account.  Want to try Slush's pool, but don't know where to start from there.  S3+ is powered on and connected to the network.  I've logged into the settings and set the correct date and time and location but don't really know where to go from there on setting for hashing.  Any links or setup guides (after the hardware)?  Should I upgrade to the newest CGMiner 4.6.1?  Is so, how?  Thanks in advance.

Follow the instructions for this guide. When it gets to put in your miner details, register with one of the mining pools below (or with slushes if you really want). I've got the information you need to enter for those pools as a quick reference guide already there, so you might want to use those.

IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2014, 03:24:49 PM

Is there a link to a newbie guide on how to get started once you've got the hardware up and running?  I've got a S3+ that's powered on and I've got a blockchain account.  Want to try Slush's pool, but don't know where to start from there.  S3+ is powered on and connected to the network.  I've logged into the settings and set the correct date and time and location but don't really know where to go from there on setting for hashing.  Any links or setup guides (after the hardware)?  Should I upgrade to the newest CGMiner 4.6.1?  Is so, how?  Thanks in advance.

Follow the instructions for this guide. When it gets to put in your miner details, register with one of the mining pools below (or with slushes if you really want). I've got the information you need to enter for those pools as a quick reference guide already there, so you might want to use those.

Sorry, but which "mining pools below"?  I don't see any, do you mean in the guide?  Thanks.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2014, 03:47:14 PM

Is there a link to a newbie guide on how to get started once you've got the hardware up and running?  I've got a S3+ that's powered on and I've got a blockchain account.  Want to try Slush's pool, but don't know where to start from there.  S3+ is powered on and connected to the network.  I've logged into the settings and set the correct date and time and location but don't really know where to go from there on setting for hashing.  Any links or setup guides (after the hardware)?  Should I upgrade to the newest CGMiner 4.6.1?  Is so, how?  Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but which "mining pools below"?  I don't see any, do you mean in the guide?  Thanks.

Yes, in the guide

Roey

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:47:51 PM

Unfortunately I upgraded the firmware and have gotten the same result.  System won't boot.  Red light blinks every second and green light on ethernet blinks in bursts.  Factory reset did nothing.  Neither did moving the cables..which was a long shot.  I think the firmware update bricked the unit.

Did you get any support from Bitmain?  I send couple of emails and nothing.
Oh, by no connection you mean you can't connect to the S3 at all? Can't find it with an ip scanner? Checked the common subnets?

Hi all!

Anyone have any luck with this?  I have exactly the same issue - no fans, no ethernet connection, just the red blinking light.
Did you guys hear back from Bitmain?

Got a reply from Bitmain and it was agreed that it was a faulty controller board.  Got a replacement board sent out, fitted it and all is good!
bellasage

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 11:26:54 PM

Hello,

So I am trying to set up my machine and under configuration where you say ...

Using a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.99 - this goes to the S3's configuration page

.. I click to navigate there and I keep getting webpage is not available ..

now what? advice is needed , I was hoping to get this up and running

Thanks Smiley
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 11:48:43 PM

Hello,

Using a browser, navigate to 192.168.1.99 - this goes to the S3's configuration page

Thanks Smiley

Is it a second hand S3 or new? Go to your router and see if you can find what IP its been assigned if its on the right subdomain.

bellasage

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 11:55:11 PM

Hello,

Thanks Smiley

Is it a second hand S3 or new? Go to your router and see if you can find what IP its been assigned if its on the right subdomain.

Its a brand new S4 .. when i first plugged it in my router recognized it .. now it doesn't it just disappeared
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:10:23 AM

Hello,

Thanks Smiley

Its a brand new S4 .. when i first plugged it in my router recognized it .. now it doesn't it just disappeared

S4 or S3?

What have you done since that point?

bellasage

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:18:43 AM

Hello,

Thanks Smiley

S4 or S3?

What have you done since that point?

S4 ... since plugging it in earlier this afternoon .. here is what happened...

plugged in ..
router recognized it .. went to 192.168.1.99 .. was able to log into antminer page while trying to set up my miner , put in pool url  ect .. followed your instructions..

and clicked "save" the page just hung there .. then never loaded and I got " webpage is not available"
Went back to my router and now the antminer S4 isn't even showing up in the list now

Then I tried your alternate subnet change .. same thing .. tried to have ports detect device .. nothing .. now my pc isn't reading it at all

I'm guessing its a setting but I'm not sure what and I can't even get the configuration page to load

Thoughts?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:36:33 AM

plugged in ..
router recognized it .. went to 192.168.1.99 .. was able to log into antminer page while trying to set up my miner , put in pool url  ect .. followed your instructions..

and clicked "save" the page just hung there .. then never loaded and I got " webpage is not available"
Went back to my router and now the antminer S4 isn't even showing up in the list now

Then I tried your alternate subnet change .. same thing .. tried to have ports detect device .. nothing .. now my pc isn't reading it at all

I'm guessing its a setting but I'm not sure what and I can't even get the configuration page to load

Thoughts?

You've posted in the S3 thread. If its an S4, then look what IP address has been assigned on the LCD.

bellasage

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:45:41 AM

plugged in ..

Thoughts?

You've posted in the S3 thread. If its an S4, then look what IP address has been assigned on the LCD.

I realized that , and my apologies , twice now I've clicked the S4 and keeps taking me back here , I will try again should I continue this on the S4 or are you able to move this over there? .. and I did go by the IP on the LCD as well .. same result.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 01:16:48 AM

I realized that , and my apologies , twice now I've clicked the S4 and keeps taking me back here , I will try again should I continue this on the S4 or are you able to move this over there? .. and I did go by the IP on the LCD as well .. same result.

What is the IP on the LCD?

bellasage

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:33:42 AM

127.0.0.1 is on the LCD
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 01:50:21 AM

127.0.0.1 is on the LCD

Thats an error essentially. See the last question in the FAQ to reset the miner to default and try again.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=813417.0#post_section5

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: