Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:28:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine  (Read 578441 times)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 03:26:30 AM

okay, so I have the daemon running, but all it does is keep outputing "accept block header", then it'll pause at "finalize node", and then some other text...

I've cut my cryptocurrency chops in Monero, and I have no idea how bitcoin-style CLI works.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
igatcha

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 10:30:52 AM

Yea there seems to be a bunch of problems surrounding this project, the main developer AWOL and not much of a community. However, the technology does work pretty good, considering that it has been running for over a year and (with a bit of luck) one can have it up and running, fully synced, within half an hour. Impressive!
In comparison to the actual working concept, the bugs and problems appear pretty minor.

Yeah, I wish I knew enough of the code to understand how portable this is to bitcoin. I know the blockchain mechanisms were somewhat modified to an account-style system, but essentially how difficult would it be for bitcoin to integrate whats been done here? I mean, thats been the concern with alt coins built from bitcoin (well, speculative concern). But I don't know how much has been changed and if it would be possible to merge... upstream?
I dont think that would be possible, there are some pretty heavy changes from the original Bitcoin code. Not 100% sure though.

That finalize node thing sound like the 7-days behind problem. The best solution seems to be to delete all but the config and wallet file, and run it again. Try starting it with cryptonited, then close it, then run the cryptonite-qt instead.

The QT dependencies:

Code:
apt-get install libqt4-dev libqtgui4
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 12:03:44 PM

Yea there seems to be a bunch of problems surrounding this project, the main developer AWOL and not much of a community. However, the technology does work pretty good, considering that it has been running for over a year and (with a bit of luck) one can have it up and running, fully synced, within half an hour. Impressive!
In comparison to the actual working concept, the bugs and problems appear pretty minor.

Yeah, I wish I knew enough of the code to understand how portable this is to bitcoin. I know the blockchain mechanisms were somewhat modified to an account-style system, but essentially how difficult would it be for bitcoin to integrate whats been done here? I mean, thats been the concern with alt coins built from bitcoin (well, speculative concern). But I don't know how much has been changed and if it would be possible to merge... upstream?
I dont think that would be possible, there are some pretty heavy changes from the original Bitcoin code. Not 100% sure though.

That finalize node thing sound like the 7-days behind problem. The best solution seems to be to delete all but the config and wallet file, and run it again. Try starting it with cryptonited, then close it, then run the cryptonite-qt instead.

The QT dependencies:

Code:
apt-get install libqt4-dev libqtgui4

thanks for the advice. I don't seem to have the cryptonite-qt binaries. I'm running headless, so there's that... qt is the GUI, right?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
igatcha

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 04:10:02 PM

Hehe yea, Im also pretty novice when it comes to linux tbh.

Yes, QT is the GUI. It has some benefits, you can follow the syncing process much easier.

If you install the right dependencies you should be able to run the program with simply ./cryptonite-qt (I renamed the file to cryptonite-qt for convenience)
Download can be found here: http://cryptonite.info/?page=download
myriadcoin

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 05:06:00 AM

Any chance of forking to multi-algo? Would love to see a multi-algo cryptonote...

Myriad: the ORIGINAL and fairest distribution 5 algo coin, which I did not develop.
http://myriadcoin.org
NOT the Myriad developer. Just a fan.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2016, 03:18:50 PM

Any chance of forking to multi-algo? Would love to see a multi-algo cryptonote...

this isnt a cryptonote

myriadcoin

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2016, 03:22:09 PM

this isnt a cryptonote

I'm sorry. Well that's... confusing.

Myriad: the ORIGINAL and fairest distribution 5 algo coin, which I did not develop.
http://myriadcoin.org
NOT the Myriad developer. Just a fan.
gnasirator

Activity: 175
Merit: 113

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 06:53:43 PM

Does anyone have any news regarding bitcoin's plans on how to circumvent its limitations (ever growing blockchain & limited to ~ 7 transactions per second)?
If they still don't have a solution for that, it would be good news for cryptonite. How nice would it be if cryptonite took over the place of bitcoin simply because bitcoin dies of its flaws Smiley

XCN: CJSECkHi7tTTTA1ze9qYRkkUCKfFiF8EEG
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 01:44:34 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2016, 01:56:09 PM by bitfreak!

Hello guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while, been spending most of my waking hours working on another project, but that is pretty much finished now, and at least I gained quite a bit of C++ experience from it. I will now try to focus the majority of my time on improving Cryptonite and try to get the web wallet released some time soon.

I saw that the market cap for XCN climbed back into the top 100 a couple of weeks ago so that has given me some motivation to keep this coin alive if I can. But like I said my abilities are still quite limited and if there is any team willing to take over this project so that it's not left alone when I'm not around, that would probably be for the best.

I also cannot keep funding the explorer and other services forever unless we can figure out some sort of funding scheme. At this point it seems to me, if mining pools want XCN to stay alive, one or more of the pools should participate in an agreement to fund development of Cryptonite by diverting a fraction of their XCN profits to that cause.

Now let me attempt to answer some of your technical questions, although it's been a while since I brushed up on my cryptocoin knowledge. Bitcoin did adopt a sort of limited pruning system not too long after Cryptonite was released but there are some critical differences which make Cryptonite more scalable, that's why it syncs so fast if you manage to make it sync correctly.

The main difference really comes down to the fact the Bitcoin uses transaction scripting but Cryptonite doesn't. When you sync with Bitcoin you need to download the full blockchain in order to validate it and calculate your wallet balance because the inputs and outputs link the transactions together, which makes it difficult to prune old transactions.

For that same reason it can be slow to import a new private key into a bitcoind-based wallet because it needs to rescan the blockchain to recalculate the wallet balance. And that is why you simply cannot get the balance of any address which isn't in your wallet using bitcoind. However I think they've also recently remedied this problem a little bit with watch only addresses.

But I believe bitcoind still needs to perform a rescan after importing a watch only address in order to calculate the address balance, and I believe a Bitcoin wallet with pruning enabled wouldn't be able to perform those rescans because it wouldn't have the entire transaction history required to calculate the balances, because it has pruned that data.

The release notes for Bitcoin Core 0.11.0 stated that "Block pruning is currently incompatible with running a wallet due to the fact that block data is used for rescanning the wallet and importing keys or addresses (which require a rescan.)", and I'm uncertain if the situation has improved since then but they had plans for it.

I think I read some where not too long ago that they wanted to use a hash tree structure to store the unspent outputs and maybe even balances, some what similar to the "account tree" in Cryptonite, however I believe that would still require the full blockchain to be downloaded and scanned so the tree could be built, so syncing would still be very slow.

The main advantage with Cryptonite is that transactions don't link together, so all of them can safely be forgotten after a certain period of time. Instead of having to download the full blockchain, nodes only have to download a recent portion of the blockchain along with the account tree / balance sheet, with which they can become a full node.

The real trick is that the nodes share the account tree between themselves and they're able to use data embedded into the blockchain in order to verify the validity of their copy of the account tree. When a new block is accepted, transactions in the block will cause balances in the tree to be updated among all nodes so they all have the same copy of the balance sheet.

So when a transaction is being made, there is no need to reference what may be a very old transaction like with Bitcoin, instead the inputs and outputs of a transaction will simply reference address nodes in the account tree. It's a more purely mathematical approach without all the scripting on top, closer to how a normal banking system would work.

The consequences of this approach is that the balance of any address can be cheaply computed simply by looking up the balance of that address in the account tree, which all synced nodes will have an up-to-date copy of. It also means block pruning is completely compatible with using a wallet because blockchain rescans are not necessary.

Most importantly, it means that the time required for a new node to sync is vastly reduced, because instead of needing to download every transaction which has ever occurred, they only need to download transactions from the last week or so, along with the account tree which nodes are programmed to share, and they've got all they need to be a full node.

They will never have to worry about not having some old transaction which has been pruned from their disk because those transactions will never have to be referenced again. The account tree is a self contained balance sheet which tells a node essentially everything it needs to know in order to check balances and validate transactions.

Of course there are a lot of little finicky details like the inversion database which is required for undoing changes made to the account tree in the case of forking, and I would suggest reading the Cryptonite wiki if you want a deeper understanding of how it works. I tried to keep this explanation relatively simple so that it wasn't too hard to understand.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

Thank you for the explanation of the underlying tech. I still only kind of get it, but thats ok. Unfortunately I can never get my node to sync (ubuntu 14.0x)

It is really a shame that their is both such limited interest in developing this coin by others, and  that funding is scarce.

Considering that there is such a large amount of XCN out there, and it is relatively cheap to obtain, having funding mechanisms seems like something that could spur development. I mean, this blockchain design is the *only* blockchain design that doesn't bloat with either time or heavy usage. So, if I could ever get my damn node to sync, I could plop it onto a raspberry pi with some internal storage and possibly leave it running forever with no concern that it will run out of space.

What this means, in essence, is that this blockchain has the highest probability of existing 5, 20, 100 years from now.

Which means that the XCN received today has the highest probability of existing 5, 20, 100 years from now.

Of course, quantum fractal 5-dimensional storage media may obviate the concern of blockchain storage for conventional ledger-type blockchains, but bird in the hand and all that.

e6ug

Activity: 773
Merit: 508

Bitcore (BTX) - The Future is Now

View Profile
April 02, 2016, 04:41:10 PM

Hello guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while, been spending most of my waking hours working on another project, but that is pretty much finished now, and at least I gained quite a bit of C++ experience from it. I will now try to focus the majority of my time on improving Cryptonite and try to get the web wallet released some time soon.

I saw that the market cap for XCN climbed back into the top 100 a couple of weeks ago so that has given me some motivation to keep this coin alive if I can. But like I said my abilities are still quite limited and if there is any team willing to take over this project so that it's not left alone when I'm not around, that would probably be for the best.

I also cannot keep funding the explorer and other services forever unless we can figure out some sort of funding scheme. At this point it seems to me, if mining pools want XCN to stay alive, one or more of the pools should participate in an agreement to fund development of Cryptonite by diverting a fraction of their XCN profits to that cause.

Now let me attempt to answer some of your technical questions, although it's been a while since I brushed up on my cryptocoin knowledge. Bitcoin did adopt a sort of limited pruning system not too long after Cryptonite was released but there are some critical differences which make Cryptonite more scalable, that's why it syncs so fast if you manage to make it sync correctly.

The main difference really comes down to the fact the Bitcoin uses transaction scripting but Cryptonite doesn't. When you sync with Bitcoin you need to download the full blockchain in order to validate it and calculate your wallet balance because the inputs and outputs link the transactions together, which makes it difficult to prune old transactions.

For that same reason it can be slow to import a new private key into a bitcoind-based wallet because it needs to rescan the blockchain to recalculate the wallet balance. And that is why you simply cannot get the balance of any address which isn't in your wallet using bitcoind. However I think they've also recently remedied this problem a little bit with watch only addresses.

But I believe bitcoind still needs to perform a rescan after importing a watch only address in order to calculate the address balance, and I believe a Bitcoin wallet with pruning enabled wouldn't be able to perform those rescans because it wouldn't have the entire transaction history required to calculate the balances, because it has pruned that data.

The release notes for Bitcoin Core 0.11.0 stated that "Block pruning is currently incompatible with running a wallet due to the fact that block data is used for rescanning the wallet and importing keys or addresses (which require a rescan.)", and I'm uncertain if the situation has improved since then but they had plans for it.

I think I read some where not too long ago that they wanted to use a hash tree structure to store the unspent outputs and maybe even balances, some what similar to the "account tree" in Cryptonite, however I believe that would still require the full blockchain to be downloaded and scanned so the tree could be built, so syncing would still be very slow.

The main advantage with Cryptonite is that transactions don't link together, so all of them can safely be forgotten after a certain period of time. Instead of having to download the full blockchain, nodes only have to download a recent portion of the blockchain along with the account tree / balance sheet, with which they can become a full node.

The real trick is that the nodes share the account tree between themselves and they're able to use data embedded into the blockchain in order to verify the validity of their copy of the account tree. When a new block is accepted, transactions in the block will cause balances in the tree to be updated among all nodes so they all have the same copy of the balance sheet.

So when a transaction is being made, there is no need to reference what may be a very old transaction like with Bitcoin, instead the inputs and outputs of a transaction will simply reference address nodes in the account tree. It's a more purely mathematical approach without all the scripting on top, closer to how a normal banking system would work.

The consequences of this approach is that the balance of any address can be cheaply computed simply by looking up the balance of that address in the account tree, which all synced nodes will have an up-to-date copy of. It also means block pruning is completely compatible with using a wallet because blockchain rescans are not necessary.

Most importantly, it means that the time required for a new node to sync is vastly reduced, because instead of needing to download every transaction which has ever occurred, they only need to download transactions from the last week or so, along with the account tree which nodes are programmed to share, and they've got all they need to be a full node.

They will never have to worry about not having some old transaction which has been pruned from their disk because those transactions will never have to be referenced again. The account tree is a self contained balance sheet which tells a node essentially everything it needs to know in order to check balances and validate transactions.

Of course there are a lot of little finicky details like the inversion database which is required for undoing changes made to the account tree in the case of forking, and I would suggest reading the Cryptonite wiki if you want a deeper understanding of how it works. I tried to keep this explanation relatively simple so that it wasn't too hard to understand.

I held true to XCN for almost 2 years before cashing out last week  Cry    Anyways, glad to see you are back from the dead.

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2016, 12:34:34 AM

It is really a shame that their is both such limited interest in developing this coin by others, and  that funding is scarce.
Yeah well even when I had lots of funding for development it still took a very long time to find a developer willing and capable to work on this project.

Of course, quantum fractal 5-dimensional storage media may obviate the concern of blockchain storage for conventional ledger-type blockchains, but bird in the hand and all that.
Infinite storage devices still wouldn't alleviate the time required to download the blockchain, and that's just as much an issue as the space required.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2016, 12:37:04 AM

I held true to XCN for almost 2 years before cashing out last week  Cry    Anyways, glad to see you are back from the dead.
Sorry bud, at least you got out while it was at a high. Can always buy back in at a lower price.  Grin

MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 12:45:33 AM

I will now try to focus the majority of my time on improving Cryptonite and try to get the web wallet released some time soon.

Awesome bitfreak! , great news Smiley

XCN is one of my all time favorite coins!
MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 02:35:01 AM

It is really a shame that their is both such limited interest in developing this coin by others, and  that funding is scarce.
Yeah well even when I had lots of funding for development it still took a very long time to find a developer willing and capable to work on this project.

have you asked smooth?
valth

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 05:56:33 AM

anyone having problem with xcn.1gh.com?
I haven't received a single payment for 2 days. The usual payment is twice hourly.
e6ug

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 07:31:43 AM

I haven't received a single payment for 2 days. The usual payment is twice hourly.

Same here. I started mining again 6 hours ago and no payout.

e6ug

View Profile
April 03, 2016, 07:34:25 AM

Same here. I started mining again 6 hours ago and no payout.

* sent them an email, hopefully they will get it fixed.

e6ug

View Profile
April 04, 2016, 06:46:25 PM

1GH seems to be working now.

RushNY

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

PogChamp

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 01:32:38 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2016, 01:44:24 PM by RushNY

Definitely need a new windows build with assertion errors fixed and working nodes out of the box instead of having users search the thread for the working ones.  There's pretty much no turn key way of getting started with XCN unless you use an exchange wallet.  Was unable to run the wallet on W10, a W7 VM, or building in Linux.

HOdlCoin - HKuon6NNgAB3CbME8H7iwXs4XKshovnaWh
Pages: « 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 »
  Print  

Jump to: