Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:30:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anita Sarkeesian - Feminist Frequency - Donating in Bitcoin  (Read 39018 times)
tjohej (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:28:24 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2015, 04:15:07 PM by tjohej

I would like to be able to donate in Bitcoin to Anita Sarkeesian or one of her projects that's called Feminist Frequency(which succeeded splendingly on kickstarter.com) which she is very famous for. Feminist Frequency is currently only accepting PayPay which is a shame.
Through Feminist Frequency she is making an analysis of gender stereotypes in video games. Today there's hardly a person who doesn't know about her which is a person who also cares about the internet in a genuine sort of way. Her videos are free to download on youtube and she has only done the work through donations.

To my knowledge she has never received money in any way through Bitcoin, and finding references on Bitcoin and Anita Sarkeesian has ended up on Bitcoin talk on a thread with a topic not even about her nor about Feminist Frequency or any other of her projects.

This thread is dedicated to if it's possible to give donations to Feminist Frequency to support the cause, what the community here feels about it, if it's just 'ok', indifference or if it would be great. Maybe there will be much interest or little.
The world needs a little more love and Bitcoin certainly needs it too. I may ask her if she would like to start accepting it, maybe or maybe not depending on how the thread goes what the community thinks of her work.

Flattr has written a few things about Anita(before they started accepting Bitcoin 5 months afterwards) in light of "Gender, Technology, Diversity and Creativity" http://blog.flattr.net/2013/02/gender-technology-diversity-and-creativity/ writing about her in a very positive light.

------------------------
I have a hard time finding any arguments backed by sources. Anita Sarkeesian, among others, has/have transcripts of what she says in her videos. If you wanna back your argumentation and not just spam with stuff you think she might have said, then quote stuff she has said in the transcripts(example transcript) of a specific video.

UPDATE: I had a summary here, but after seeing the evolution of the thread I think we are on a more creative and productive path as the first pages may be an indication of how to approach the subject. But...
If you came here to spread hate and misinformation you are not welcome.

UPDATE 2: This new summary is on the progress of whether Feminist Frequency will accept Bitcoin as a donation option:
Page1-Page7 From constructive, neutral and hostile(including Ad Hominems) interaction with the Bitcoin community.

Page8 post #160 with a tweet asking @femfreq if she knows how Bitcoin works and if she likes Cryptography.
Page9 post #168 with a tweet to @femfreq about How Bitcoin Works, Cryptographic checksums(she has talked about Bittorrent before), briefly mentioning Digital Signatures and Public-key Cryptography.

Page11 post #217 generally about Women in Bitcoin. Transcript of "Q&A with Andreas Antonopoulos - Bitcoin in 2015 and beyond" but only translated the part related to Women and Bitcoin.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:51:08 AM

I would like to be able to donate in Bitcoin to Anita Sarkeesian...

Anita is sexist against men to an absolute extreme, and one of the biggest hypocrite you can find on the internet. She says that if a man is saving a woman in a video game, then it must mean that the woman is portrayed as totally helpless. She also says that if a woman is the hero and sacrificing her safety to save others, then the game is promoting violence towards women. Nothing that Anita says ever holds true across any of her claims. No matter what happens in a game, it is always portraying women badly from her warped perspective. It is the classic "have your cake and eat it too" example of a hypocrite. Sorry, you just can't have it both ways, ever.

You seem to have fallen for the neo-liberal fallacy, in that, because there exist 50% women in the population, that all jobs, hobbies, and sports should consist of 50% women. By your logic, 50% of Alaskan crab fishing should be female, 50% of bodybuilders should be female, and 50% of preschool teachers should be male. What you fail to understand is that men and women are measurably different. Men are physically stronger, taller, and cannot give birth. There are a multitude of factors that go into the gender imbalance throughout all jobs, hobbies, and sports. If you cannot acknowledge basic reality, then please don't go around spreading your illogical nonsense.

There is no worldwide conspiracy or some unspoken code that men who use bitcoin live by in order to keep women out. Women are the reason that there are not more women bitcoiners. When they see that it can benefit them, more women will join the cause. That is where you come in. Instead of running around and pointing your hateful fingers at every man in the world, how about you actually do something positive and help get more women involved? Or do you just want to spread hatred like Anita?
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 03:58:13 PM

Anita is sexist against men to an absolute extreme, and one of the biggest hypocrite you can find on the internet. She says that if a man is saving a woman in a video game, then it must mean that the woman is portrayed as totally helpless. She also says that if a woman is the hero and sacrificing her safety to save others, then the game is promoting violence towards women. Nothing that Anita says ever holds true across any of her claims. No matter what happens in a game, it is always portraying women badly from her warped perspective. It is the classic "have your cake and eat it too" example of a hypocrite. Sorry, you just can't have it both ways, ever.

You seem to have fallen for the neo-liberal fallacy, in that, because there exist 50% women in the population, that all jobs, hobbies, and sports should consist of 50% women. By your logic, 50% of Alaskan crab fishing should be female, 50% of bodybuilders should be female, and 50% of preschool teachers should be male. What you fail to understand is that men and women are measurably different. Men are physically stronger, taller, and cannot give birth. There are a multitude of factors that go into the gender imbalance throughout all jobs, hobbies, and sports. If you cannot acknowledge basic reality, then please don't go around spreading your illogical nonsense.

There is no worldwide conspiracy or some unspoken code that men who use bitcoin live by in order to keep women out. Women are the reason that there are not more women bitcoiners. When they see that it can benefit them, more women will join the cause. That is where you come in. Instead of running around and pointing your hateful fingers at every man in the world, how about you actually do something positive and help get more women involved? Or do you just want to spread hatred like Anita?

These are some good points. I think the 50% selection is not good, you simply need good people for the job - or to let people do what they want. I do not think we need more feminism now in todays society - rather we need to be ourselves and understand woman and men are different.

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 06:18:53 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 08:59:49 AM by tjohej

Online discussion of sexism or misogyny quickly results in disproportionate displays of sexism and misogyny

"Anita's Irony"

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:18:17 AM

It is obvious you are speaking out of rage and not reason.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:43:26 PM

This thread has escalated quickly!   Tongue

But in all seriousness, I see no need to donate my money whatsoever  Lips sealed
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:48:08 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2014, 10:01:20 AM by tjohej

This thread has escalated quickly!   Tongue

But in all seriousness, I see no need to donate my money whatsoever  Lips sealed
It's not about donating your money, but if you see a need, or a wish to be interested in the project. If you think it is worthwhile or just a wasted effort. Like do you agree like CoinMode that Anita is evil, or you think she is good, or maybe you are neutral about this or don't care?

Obviously lots of people have donated lots in kickstarter(the money donations escalated after the hate campaign she received). Kickstarter is not a Bitcoin friendly platform, but I wanted to see if there's an interest from this community, except me in donating to Anita Sarkeesian or her Feminist Frequency project. There are some people who think she has made everything up or they don't care to listen to her arguments because they already disagreed with one and it was too much for them.

A "I think this project is worthwhile but I wouldn't like the project to accept Bitcoin because I think there are other projects much more worth my attention"
B "I think she has made the industry a worse place. I'm glad she does not accept Bitcoin and I hope she never does"
C "I don't care" but then why did you post in the thread?

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 01:34:47 PM

Online discussion of sexism or misogyny quickly results in disproportionate displays of sexism and misogyny

Grasping sexual dimorphism and the subsequent gender roles is not "sexism and misogyny".
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 04:24:03 PM

Anybody else seen Anita Sarkeesian's work in Feminist Frequency and liked it? (or disliked it)

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 01:44:26 PM

Nothing that Anita says ever holds true across any of her claims.
That women are treated as sexual objects in video games?

Have you watched any of her videos?
You can find them here https://www.youtube.com/user/feministfrequency/videos

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 02:52:52 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2014, 03:05:51 PM by Snail2

Nothing that Anita says ever holds true across any of her claims.
That women are treated as sexual objects in video games?

Of course they are.  Video games are based on the most stereotypical gender models, mainly provided and promoted by the media for the masses. Let's see what kinds of widely available female gender models you can see in the media:

- rich women/heiresses with the most scandalous lifestyle possible
- pop stars/actresses with same press friendly lifestyle
- bone collections (aka supermodels) with different mental problems
- someone who's being fucked by a famous someone else
- naives and some tree hugging hippies with innocent wondering eyes

...so mostly stupid bitches (or at least portrayed as stupid bitches). As these are the most well recognized female archetypes today, game makers will naturally use the same ready to use schemes. Go and complain for change at the tabloid media.

BTW IMO this topic should be moved into the Politics and Society subforum.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 03:41:17 PM

BTW IMO this topic should be moved into the Politics and Society subforum.
This thread is about if people in the Bitcoin community would like to be able to donate money to Anita Sarkeesian.

To keep being on-topic, let me ask you this. Do you think her project "Feminist Frequency" is a worthwhile project to donate Bitcoin to? Maybe a neutral stance or you don't care?

darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:53:56 PM

You're right. Anita is an idiot beyond reasoning, probably stems from environmental factors from growing up or mental illness.... her points contradict each other greatly.
CoinMode

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:30:45 PM

It is obvious you are speaking out of rage and not reason.

It is obvious that you have no argument and chose to attack the arguer, me, with an ad hominem. This is a clear window into your lack of logical reasoning, which is ironic since you projected onto me that exact flaw. I made an argument that you cannot possibly refute, that Anita Sarkeesian is a con artist who prays on the guilty emotions of credulous individuals such as yourself and has made a small fortune doing so. She adds nothing of value to any conversation in society, and she makes feminists look like a bunch of hypocritical liars.

If you want to help women and feminism, then you need to stay far, far away from that horrible person.
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:39:10 PM

Regardless of your opinions on modern feminism/sexism/bigotry, you cannot deny that she has lied extensively and continues to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6a57MjmpoI

She's a con artist. I'm sure she'll be happy to take your bitcoins.

CoinMode

View Profile
August 15, 2014, 04:46:55 PM

Like do you agree like CoinMode that Anita is evil, or you think she is good, or maybe you are neutral about this or don't care?

You already know what my vote is but I sincerely urge you to look more deeply into the case of this con artist. She says things that she knows will offend people online, and then uses anonymous comments as proof that the world is wrong and she is the perfect person to help fix it. She starts online fights, fuels the fire the entire time, and then claims victim status just like all the succubi that came before.

Anita doesn't even play the games that she rants about, and the footage she uses was taken from other sources. You see her in front of stacks of games and people like you say, "Oh, look at all those Call of Duty and Battlefield games she plays. I bet she is one of the most hardcore gamers ever!" Then youtubers find clips from her videos in other people's "Let's Play" videos, matched frame for frame, and it is revealed the truth is Anita just buys or borrows games so she can take misleading pictures with them. Meanwhile, AVGN, Jon Tron, and several other niche videogame critics and commenters play through the entire game, often on the original console that it was designed for, so that they have the full context of what the game is about before they ever say a word about it. Jon Tron even beat Takeshi's Challenge [edit: he played it on the original Nintendo Famicon system that was imported from Japan], one of the hardest games ever made because of the hang-gliding section and no continues. Spoony spent over $6000 on a Commodore 64 set-up that included the tape drive just so he could review Big Trouble in Little China.

On the one hand, you have honest, hard-working people who truly love games enough to give them due credit. And on the other hand, you have an online "feminist" who doesn't even play games and doesn't understand any of the context about what she speaks. She is willfully ignorant, and a misleading liar to boot. I really hope you check this information out a little more before you get conned again.
CoinMode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 08:06:06 PM

You are going to answer every single point that I have made in this thread with a truthful response that is not misleading in any way, or I am going to make sure nobody ever goes to this message board again and doesn't instantly realize Anita Sarkeesian is a con artist of the highest order. Your choice. Be weak and run away, or be strong and admit that you were easily defeated and are now no longer choosing to believe a false narrative.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:26:16 PM

You are going to answer every single point that I have made in this thread with a truthful response that is not misleading in any way<snip>
Cool it down. Have you overlooked the option to try to respect me?

Do you know that those who harassed Anita Sarkeesian had a hostile attitude? Even going as far as distributing her personal address information.
That's not a good or a nice way to get more people interested in Bitcoin, rather it looks like a good way to shoo away people from Bitcoin.
Keep it civil, folks.  Cool

Regardless of your opinions on modern feminism/sexism/bigotry, you cannot deny that she has lied extensively and continues to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6a57MjmpoI

She's a con artist. I'm sure she'll be happy to take your bitcoins.
The video you posted shows Anita Sarkeesian saying she is not a fan of video games, does that somehow extend to all her future views that she'll have in her life? If you hold an opinion today, is that the same one you will hold in 2 years?

Anyway, the youtube video you posted, there she says the following:
clip1
Anita Sarkeesian "I've been playing video games since I was about 5 years old"

clip2 from Santa Monica College, California, 2010
Anita Sarkeesian says “I’m going to show you a remix that I just finished this weekend and no one else has seen [pause] One person has seen it … It’s a soundtrack of one song except I’m doing video games. So it’s not exactly a fandom, I’m not a fan of video games. I actually had to learn a lot about video games in the process of making this…”

Bitcoins101, is anything conflicting in the above statements?
You did not explain why she is a "con artist". Also a con artist is somebody who gains your trust and whom you give money to while you trust that you will get the money back(or even get more money back than you originally gave to the con/confidence artist)

Somebody giving money in a kickstarter.com doesn't expect the money to be given back to them. They expect the money to be invested in the project they gave the money to. So this "con artist"...you want to develop that any further?

Since you are so concerned to look for Anita Sarkeesian's past why not take a look at http://vimeo.com/13216801
"Anita Sarkeesian Visits Professor Melanie Klein's class_Part 1" and take it from the beginning until Part 3?

I would rather go to something more modern and serious though like her "Tropes vs Women in Video Games", specifically "Damsel in Distress: Part 1 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games"
That video lasts 23 minutes and 34 seconds. Can't you rain critisicm on that specific video and explain to me where she lacks, then provide citations so it doesn't end up in just ramblings on how terrible she is. I would rather you say why and provide references and sources. Then say she said this and that at that minute and second.

Real example for the Part 1 video: 0:39-0:52 "This series will include critical analysis of many beloved games and characters, but remember that it is both possible (and even necessary) to simultaneously enjoy media while also being critical of it’s more problematic or pernicious aspects."

This is an example of a comment to the above quote: "She says that we should enjoy games but also be aware of some problems like that women may be portrayed in a negative way"

Your turn? If you wanna link to another video do it, but also provide the minutes and seconds, what she said and then what your comment is on it.

CoinMode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:45:33 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2014, 12:00:27 AM by CoinMode

That quote represents everything you said that has any value. You accidentally admitted that Anita does start internet fights in order to gain victim status. Side-stepping the issue by saying that the response she got was hostile does not make it okay to purposefully start fights in order to gain pity money.

As far as helping bitcoin, we are doing a good job in this thread by pointing out an extremely solid case of a con artist.

Your twisting of language is extremely obvious. Saying that you have been playing games since you were 5 years old means two things; You have been playing them since you were 5, and you are an huge fan of games. Anita has zero integrity, and now you are showing us exactly how much integrity you have when you can't even keep your words straight.

CoinMode

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:46:43 PM

Here is a video explaining why Anita Sarkeesian is a con artist and why you will follow her like a religious zealot no matter what she does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJCCnued6c
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: