Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:16:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42320 times)
erez_yakir

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 10:37:33 AM

use a private disk for every wallet store it at home 3 copies each 5 btc each
Capradina

Activity: 756
Merit: 520

View Profile
March 08, 2017, 10:50:48 AM

Of course you need to store it in your cold wallet, or big exchanges, but it is more dangerous than your local wallet. Website can run away, like mtgox, mintal, cryptsy.

A very narrow thinking. If indeed we have many bitcoin then it will definitely save that in various places, bitcoin so that the overall number of security and also could secure when there is one of the storage places are exposed to hacking. You need to know that mtgox is not a site like you say, they did find a struck all its customers and to the detriment of mtgox does not at all take money customers. Think carefully

passivebesiege

Activity: 854
Merit: 502

CTO & Spokesman

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2017, 10:58:17 AM

Send them to me, I will keep them in a safe place.  PM me for an address to send them to  Grin
This is the best suggestion I ever heard  Grin. By the way if I'm the one who have it.  I will create two wallet that I have the private key and store them both with  40 btc and then use 20 btc for trading purposes so I still have money to exchange to Fiat when needed without touching  my stored btc.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 07:15:45 PM

Of course you need to store it in your cold wallet, or big exchanges, but it is more dangerous than your local wallet. Website can run away, like mtgox, mintal, cryptsy.

Big Exchanges - No
Cold Wallet - Sort of.

You can't have one cold wallet, well you shouldn't. At least create multiple backups in safe locations as well but not an amount that increases a risk factor of it being an object of theft. In order to store these amounts safely, paper wallets should be made but with small amounts compared to the large lump sum being stored. This allows for something like rededuncy, similiar to something out of a RAID(just not that inexpensive) array.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Cryptonite310

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:06:08 PM

I like this if I have 100 bitcoin Im really rich. I would rather cashout my 50 btc into fiat to enjoy my life, Id like to travel around the world and complete my bucketlist. So, I would like to restore my 50 btc into 5wallets to ensure that it is secured with 2FA for security purposes.
So, you're going to retire and travel the world on $50,000 roughly about that. Doesn't sound like enough to retire off of.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1507

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 08:15:58 PM

100 bitcoins is rich and I wish I have that much bitcoin some day in future. But to answer your question, I would say, diversification is the key to keep your bitcoins safe. Definitely a hardware wallet is needed because this is considered to be the best wallet for keeping your biotin secret.

But I would suggest to have more than one wallet. Have some online wallet as well where you can keep a minor portion of your bitcoins. You can use a good mix of online wallets. In trusted and time-tested online wallets, you can keep a good amount of bitcoin and in new wallets, you can keep a small amount. The more wallets you will use, the safer your bitcoins will be.

megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:13:39 PM

I like this if I have 100 bitcoin Im really rich. I would rather cashout my 50 btc into fiat to enjoy my life, Id like to travel around the world and complete my bucketlist. So, I would like to restore my 50 btc into 5wallets to ensure that it is secured with 2FA for security purposes.
So, you're going to retire and travel the world on $50,000 roughly about that. Doesn't sound like enough to retire off of.

Precisely, that seems so little for a global travel budget. It's nice to have 50BTC but I think you can do well to grow it before you embark on your travel expedition.
ekoice

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:00:00 PM

Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue
I will store 20 BTC each in 5 different wallets.It would be convenient for me.Hope i too would become that much rich in future to follow such precautious methods.
positivezero

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:04:41 PM

1 wallet. I'm a lazy guy..

well actually i have the same way as you. I only have one wallet to store my bitcoins, small bitcoins rather but it doesn't mean that we are lazy bro  Grin .. In my opinion, why should i create many wallets store bitcoins if i only have small amount to store or keep, and also one wallet is enough for me in keeping my bitcoins safe. Even i have more bitcoins to collect, i rather to have one only wallet to store it.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 08:37:16 PM

I would put the majority in cold storage on a hardware wallet like a trezor.   One that you are very comfortable in using the recovery methods if need be.   I would only keep 1 or 2 BTC in hot wallets for spending money, unless you transact more heavily than that with BTC.

Given the price of BTC right now 1-2 in a hot wallet should be sufficient money to be able to purchase anything that you would most likely be buying with BTC.   Worst case scenario and you get somehow hacked...you lose money, but not life shattering money.

100+ BTC I would spread across multiple hardware wallets.
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 09:36:07 PM

Cold wallet,  strictly offline storage. Make a copy of your wallet.dat file on a USB stick and put it in a bank vault.

Hot wallet with 5% of your coins, protected by e-mail, 2FA and secret question.

NEVER send anything from cold wallet to anywhere else besides to the hot wallet. Never use cold wallet for anything else besides communication with hot wallet. Never keep cold wallet on line more then 2 minutes you need to make your transaction.

That should do it.

Would you rather simply keep a wallet.dat on a USB stick in a bank vault, or what would seem like a more secure solution being one of a 2-of-3 multisig wallet keys?
ActiveP

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 09:40:28 PM

Don't keep them on a website. When you do that, you are giving someone else control over your money. The vast majority of stolen coins were from someone else's website.

Control your own coins on your own secured hardware using Bitcoin Core, Armory, Bitcoin Wallet for Android, or offline paper wallets for savings.
GMPoison

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 09:59:40 PM

Don't keep them on a website. When you do that, you are giving someone else control over your money. The vast majority of stolen coins were from someone else's website.

Control your own coins on your own secured hardware using Bitcoin Core, Armory, Bitcoin Wallet for Android, or offline paper wallets for savings.

Yeah that's definitely rule #1.
lecongnhan123

Activity: 288

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 02:53:58 AM

> 100 BTC? It seems like impossible to me, because I am earning a ltiile Bitcoin so that I think it is impossible to earn 100 BTC Sad
Happydd

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 03:58:43 AM

Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue

It would be great if I own 100 bits of it at the moment, it's enough for me to live in happiness, I can use it to do a lot of other things, and business is a good job if I Having a large amount of capital, I will get a profit easily.
Happydd

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:00:15 AM

> 100 BTC? It seems like impossible to me, because I am earning a ltiile Bitcoin so that I think it is impossible to earn 100 BTC Sad

Yeah, it's really impossible for us all, it's too hard to achieve. We participate in signature campaigns and earn small amounts of money, which is difficult to implement.
hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:12:04 AM

I will simply opt for one wallet and one address to store all my bitcoin because it will make my work easier instead of switching to various wallets I will have all my digital asset in a single wallet and then i have just tap and send that's it. Various option Like paper wallet cold storage seems burden for me simple web wallet Luke blockchain suits my needs better. It allows to access my wallet anytime any where and with the easy to use mobile wallet just asks for pin to get into the world of bitcoin transactions. And even i had plan to store 100 btc for longer then also I will opt of web wallet only because if its simplicity and easy to use feature and paper wallets cold storage creates hassles for me and I don't like those type if wallets. Blockchain suits my need Better and i like the wallet because  it's official version and have no plan to scam with our money.
babsalt1975

Activity: 526

View Profile
June 11, 2017, 04:21:13 AM

More than 100 btc?. That would burst my wallet Grin I would split that into several wallets both on and offline for security purposes. Also at the moment, you can not risk to keep everything in bitcoin because you don't know what is going to happen next. You might wake up one day and find that price has dropped to $10 and stay there for good. What will you with your <100 btc? Throw away?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 02:09:05 AM

With 100+ Bitcoins, I would probably only keep between 3-5 coins spread across multiple hot wallets so that I can ShapeShift into several different alt-coins easily without having to pull them from cold storage.

The other 95 or so I would spread across several hardware wallets. I definitely wouldn't want to keep them all in one hardware wallet in case it got stolen or my house burned down or something like that.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3460
Merit: 4425

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 02:24:03 AM

I would store those 100 coins on my Trezor.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: