Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:46:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42311 times)
Skinnyman

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:53:20 PM

Here is a very simple and secure way
Do you know what any of those words mean?

So many people have lost bitcoins because they tried to roll their own overly-complex cold storage.

I guess there is such a thing as being too safe. I think people do go overboard on the ridiculously long passwords that they cant remember.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:01:29 PM

It downloads whole blockchain right?
It talks to bitcoind, which does download the entire blockchain.

Ok thanks. Was looking for another client to use, as I want to start another wallet to split up some BTC
abercrombie
Legendary

Activity: 1159

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:36:09 PM

Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue

If these were Bitcoins that I'm not going to spend any time soon it would go into an offline paper wallet(s), with Bip-38 password encryption on the public key.

Probably not all in 1 paper wallet because I'd probably break off pieces as the years go by to spend or provide to family members.

Public/Private Keys can be etched or engraved on metal and placed in a fire safe for safety from heat and water damage.

Lastly, if you're comfortable with multiple levels of encryption, a PDF or screen shot of the wallet keys can be PGP encrypted, and/or placed in a True Crypt container then uploaded to the cloud.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:38:28 PM

Couple of paper wallets. Maybe with the keys encrypted and split to redundant pieces (n of m) and store them at various locations. That should be the safest option.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 03:57:01 PM

Armory.

I would store it in armory. It support cold too. Splitting them by multiple of 5 into addresses. So that nobody knows how much addresses I have, thus can't know my holdings. Making many wallets and making many addresses are same. Making one or two paper wallet would be great too.

Kindly,
      MZ

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

65 percent would be in cold storage on some sort of mobile device.  The rest would be on multiple accounts on Blockchain.info and other sites I trust to put my coins for safe keeping also 10 percent of the total would be in physical form, for example Cassius coins and paper wallets. 
Darude Sandstorm

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 04:10:06 PM

I don't really trust paper wallets for a number of reasons. I'd just keep them in offline wallet.dat files stored on usbs and maybe some dvdrs or whatnot.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:12:38 PM

I don't really trust paper wallets for a number of reasons. I'd just keep them in offline wallet.dat files stored on usbs and maybe some dvdrs or whatnot.

Good luck. The US Library of Congress has been looking for a medium for storing information for some time now. They've yet to find any digital solution more durable over time than paper.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 04:35:13 PM

I actually just went and bought a Trezor Smiley   First time that I have spent any BTC in awhile...  I just reloaded the same amount back...I like to make a habit of keeping the same balances...

So now I will be using that to store some, obviously...
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 04:41:31 PM

Trezors up for general sale now (until now, only preorders were sent):

https://www.buytrezor.com/

That is the best solution if you don't have a,  or don't want to shell out the cash for a used PC to set up as airgapped cold storage machine.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:23:00 PM

That is the best solution if you ... don't want to shell out the cash for a used PC to set up as airgapped cold storage machine.

My airgapped PC (a refurb lenovo C2D notebook) cost about the same as a Trezor. Works for me. YMMV.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Sophokles

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 05:40:10 PM

That is the best solution if you ... don't want to shell out the cash for a used PC to set up as airgapped cold storage machine.

My airgapped PC (a refurb lenovo C2D notebook) cost about the same as a Trezor. Works for me. YMMV.

Yeah, works for me too at the moment. But the Trezor is smaller and looks cooler.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

100 freaking Bitcoins?Huh I'd put them in a paper wallet where they're safe! Definitely not on some online exchange or anything. That's an amount of money I'd trust no one with! Not even Satoshi!

Sophokles

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2014, 05:48:48 PM

100 freaking Bitcoins?Huh I'd put them in a paper wallet where they're safe! Definitely not on some online exchange or anything. That's an amount of money I'd trust no one with! Not even Satoshi!

Trezor is not an online wallet, if you meant to imply that. It's a hardware device to sign transactions on computers (which do not even have to be trusted). Only you are in possesion of the private key(s). In case of losing the device, the wallet can be reconstructed from a 12 - word passphrase.

Think I'm going to order one now, just because the concept is so cool.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
▬▬▬▬▬
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 05:49:57 PM

Cold storage.
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:15:10 PM

Cold storage.

Let me expand:

Download bitaddress.org webpage

Open it offline

Generate a few addresses

Write all the information down

Send bitcoins to the wallets

When you want to use the coins just enter the private key section of the wallet into blockchain.info's wallet and send ALL the coins to a new wallet.
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:28:51 PM

I generated a thousand random keys on an offline computer and made a thousand 2-of-3 multisigs with them, with the keys of my brain wallet hashed a million times, a newly generated key in my bitcoin-qt app on my online computer, and the new random key generated by the computer.  I then bip38'd the private keys for all the random generated keys, and pgp-encrypted the combo of bip38+redeemscript for the key and then have the multisig address as the comment for the pgp data.

Now I just have a file on my online computer with a bunch of PGP messages with multisig keys as the comment, and the only time the private key or the whole redeem script will be known is when I'm getting ready to spend them.  And since each address has less than a bitcoin, I'll find out pretty quickly that my machine is compromised, without losing too much, when I try to spend some of them.  (I always send the multisig back to myself in my QT wallet first, and I do each multisig one at a time.)

(The PGP messages and my encrypted bitcoin-qt wallet are also backed up various places.)

So when I want to spend them, I decrypt and import the one key into my qt-wallet, and then that key plus the key already in my wallet are enough to spend it.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 06:42:15 PM

I generated a thousand random keys on an offline computer and made a thousand 2-of-3 multisigs with them, with the keys of my brain wallet hashed a million times, a newly generated key in my bitcoin-qt app on my online computer, and the new random key generated by the computer.  I then bip38'd the private keys for all the random generated keys, and pgp-encrypted the combo of bip38+redeemscript for the key and then have the multisig address as the comment for the pgp data.

i hope this is a joke  Undecided

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:35:30 PM

Now I just have a file on my online computer with a bunch of PGP messages with multisig keys as the comment, and the only time the private key or the whole redeem script will be known is when I'm getting ready to spend them.  And since each address has less than a bitcoin, I'll find out pretty quickly that my machine is compromised, without losing too much, when I try to spend some of them.  (I always send the multisig back to myself in my QT wallet first, and I do each multisig one at a time.)

(The PGP messages and my encrypted bitcoin-qt wallet are also backed up various places.)

So when I want to spend them, I decrypt and import the one key into my qt-wallet, and then that key plus the key already in my wallet are enough to spend it.

Great design! I also thought about storing less than 1 bitcoin per address but that is too much hassle. BTW, if my plane is going to crash, how would I tell my relatives to get the coins I stored?

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:37:20 PM

cold storage but 10 copies of it.... encrypted
that would do the job for every danger
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: