Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 12:26:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42320 times)
soccosocco

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:14:25 PM

If i had 100 btc more
I will fill in 1 BTC for each address and some I will keep it in wallet offline
For offline wallet I prefer multibit and electrum
claimore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:35:39 PM

If i had 100 btc more
I will fill in 1 BTC for each address and some I will keep it in wallet offline
For offline wallet I prefer multibit and electrum

This is a pain in the ass. They should come up with a better way. Sometimes I think Monero is the future.
Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:37:40 PM

I will never store 100 bitcoins in digital form, I will exchange to cash as soon as possible, too much risk.
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:45:58 PM

I will never store 100 bitcoins in digital form, I will exchange to cash as soon as possible, too much risk.

Not so fearless. :-)
elebit

Activity: 441

View Profile
August 22, 2014, 06:47:01 PM

Is the question how I would store it, or is it what the proper way to store it is?

They're not necessarily the same thing  Tongue . Lots of people store 100 btc at various exchanges. That's not a good idea, but people are lazy.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 02:51:08 AM

Put a paper wallet inside a vacuum sealed bag and store it inside a full colostomy bag at your grandmothers nursing home.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 07:05:21 AM

Offline Armory on tiny computer among a pile of PC junk in the house, m-of-n paper backup stored in different physical locations, all coins split among many addresses in the wallet to hide total wallet amount.
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 11:13:34 AM

Just get a Trezor. Does it get any better than this for offline hard storage?

dKingston

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 12:00:47 PM

Paper Wallet stored in a very secure place Smiley
It will be almost impossible to get you BTC on a paper wallet.
(I'm really waiting for hardware wallets )

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
MightyStorm

Activity: 602

God is with us

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 12:30:15 PM

Paper Wallet stored in a very secure place Smiley
Under the colder side of your pillow?

D E P O ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DEPOSITORY NETWORK | WP   :   ENG   CN   RUS
FOLLOW US: ► TELEGRAM    ► TWITTER                                  The World’s   F i r s t   D e c e n t r a l i z e d
                                                ► LINKEDIN      ► FACEBOOK        BUY DEPO         M u l t i - P l a t f o r m   Collateral   I n f r a s t r u c t u r e
khornate

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 01:53:14 PM

Paper wallet in bank safe deposit box
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2014, 01:58:20 PM

lol

under patriot act the govt can look and remove your safe deposit box and not even notify you

On storing 100+ btc , depends on your personal/familiy situation and how /when you need to use the btc again but sounds like mosts of the others told you what to do .....

Why in the world would you trust digital money for so high amount? I will exchange 95% of my coins into bank then..

Banks have good security measure, you can store your USB key in their storage box, like twins did

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2014, 02:22:06 PM

Use multiple paper wallets.  Have maybe at most 5 BTC in each.  Make sure there is atleast 2 copies of each wallet.
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 12:34:47 AM

I'd split between coinbase, bter, and bitfinex.

I'd also store maybe about 20% in hard wallet on my computer/usb. I consider this, personally to be my biggest risk as I'm much more likely to lose my computer/usb stick to something stupid than something going on online.

That's just me though.
These are all very bad places to keep your bitcoin. If you kept your money in any of the above places you would be trusting that a third party would not run away with your bitcoin. This is against the principles of bitcoin and keeping your bitcoin safe. The whole point of using the network as a ledger is that you do not have to trust some other person to keep track of your balance or how much money you have.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 01:37:47 AM

I'd also store maybe about 20% in hard wallet on my computer/usb. I consider this, personally to be my biggest risk as I'm much more likely to lose my computer/usb stick to something stupid than something going on online.

That's just me though.
These are all very bad places to keep your bitcoin. If you kept your money in any of the above places you would be trusting that a third party would not run away with your bitcoin. This is against the principles of bitcoin and keeping your bitcoin safe. The whole point of using the network as a ledger is that you do not have to trust some other person to keep track of your balance or how much money you have.

Agreed.

Bitcoin allows you the opportunity to exercise personal responsibility for your money.  If you entrust your BTC with a third-party service provider -- even if it's a well-established entity such as Coinbase, Blockchain.info, etc. -- and you lose your money, you can only blame yourself at that point.
betterangels

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 02:46:49 AM

Many paper wallets.
Maybe with the keys encrypted and split to redundant pieces (n of m) and store them at various locations.
That should be the safest option, IMHO.
 Smiley
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 03:25:58 AM

That's just me though.

Agreed.

Bitcoin allows you the opportunity to exercise personal responsibility for your money.  If you entrust your BTC with a third-party service provider -- even if it's a well-established entity such as Coinbase, Blockchain.info, etc. -- and you lose your money, you can only blame yourself at that point.
IMO blockchain.info is not the same as a site like coinbase. Blockchain's wallet allows the user to be in control of the private keys. The generating of the keys is done on the client side (on the user's computer). The keys are stored in encrypted form on blockchain's servers but only the user is able to decrypt the keys. If a user were to choose to do so they could easily import their keys into another client and be able to spend their coins freely.
wasserman99

Activity: 476

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:38:31 AM

That's just me though.

Agreed.

Bitcoin allows you the opportunity to exercise personal responsibility for your money.  If you entrust your BTC with a third-party service provider -- even if it's a well-established entity such as Coinbase, Blockchain.info, etc. -- and you lose your money, you can only blame yourself at that point.
I think it is interesting how so many of these posts are advocating to somehow have more control over the private keys, and leave so much less to chance, while this one is the only one that advocates giving control to a 3rd party.

I do admit that there are some advantages to giving your coins to a 3rd party. All of these entities likely have a much larger security budget then what you or I will have so there will be more money fighting off attackers (although you would have a number of additional risks that you must face by trusting your 100 BTC to a 3rd party).

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 05:01:34 AM

A paper wallet inside a metal cigar tube and stuffed inside this woman's vagina. Ain't no one gettin in there without a fight.

Hasher99

Activity: 66

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 05:29:37 AM

I will store 100 bitcoins in online wallet[I am not afraid] with a 2 step authentication enabled..

My pc has tight security too..
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: