Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:28:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you store >100 Bitcoins?  (Read 42311 times)
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:13:48 AM

If I were a millionaire, I'd put it all into bitcoin, and use Coinbase's vault, with an extremely tough password and all levels of verification.

why not cold storage?
Depending on your technical expertise the coinbase vault would be a much better option for someone. If someone does not have the technical skills to be able to properly create a cold storage address, be able to send BTC to it and be able to spend the coins without compromising he cold storage then they should not be attempting to do this.

Assuming that your coins are safe at coinbase (they will not get hacked/run away with your money) then coinbase vault is a secure way to hold your BTC. They force you to wait at least 48 hours prior to releasing your money. So if you were to get hacked then you would need to recover access to your account within this time.

TimeWatch

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:30:03 AM

If I were a millionaire, I'd put it all into bitcoin, and use Coinbase's vault, with an extremely tough password and all levels of verification.

why not cold storage?
Depending on your technical expertise the coinbase vault would be a much better option for someone. If someone does not have the technical skills to be able to properly create a cold storage address, be able to send BTC to it and be able to spend the coins without compromising he cold storage then they should not be attempting to do this.

Assuming that your coins are safe at coinbase (they will not get hacked/run away with your money) then coinbase vault is a secure way to hold your BTC. They force you to wait at least 48 hours prior to releasing your money. So if you were to get hacked then you would need to recover access to your account within this time.
I wouldn't trust any third party to keep so high amount of mine..if they get hacked or something like it happened to mtgox..

Cold wallets are far better.
FFrost

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 09:44:13 AM

Split it into 10 wallets and buy a smartphone which has never been connected to the Internet and store them on there.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 11:17:51 AM

I would convert the Bitcoin to dollars then deposit them in my FDIC insured account.
At some point in time in the very near future, FDIC insurance would not cover the value of 100 BTC.
unpure

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:05:04 PM

Split it into 10 wallets and buy a smartphone which has never been connected to the Internet and store them on there.

Cheaper to buy 10 Trezor cold storage wallet and store them in 10 different locations.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122438.0
thecast

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 12:52:06 PM

On a safe storage box inside a usb and hd backup.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 01:01:43 PM

Hmm... at today's exchange rate, BTC100 is equal to $51,500.

So there is no harm in spending up to $500 (1%) to store it. Let me explore the options.

Step 1: Buy a cheap laptop, with minimal features and a cheap printer. Also buy 3 new USB drives.

Step 2: Create a paper wallet and take 3 backups (print).

Step 3: Create a further 3 online backups and transfer them to a USB drive.

Step 4: Store the paper / USB backups in 3 different locations.

Step 5: Destroy the printer.

Step 6: Destroy the hard drive of the laptop.
wasserman99

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:08:32 PM

why not cold storage?

I wouldn't trust any third party to keep so high amount of mine..if they get hacked or something like it happened to mtgox..

Cold wallets are far better.
I agree that cold wallets are better if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing then you could potentially lose access to your money or expose your wallet to the public, making it more vulnerable then keeping your wallet on your computer with nothing more then antivirus software.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2014, 05:16:20 PM

Hmm... at today's exchange rate, BTC100 is equal to $51,500.
So there is no harm in spending up to $500 (1%) to store it. Let me explore the options.

Step 1: Buy a cheap laptop, with minimal features and a cheap printer. Also buy 3 new USB drives.
Step 2: Create a paper wallet and take 3 backups (print).
Step 3: Create a further 3 online backups and transfer them to a USB drive.

Step 4: Store the paper / USB backups in 3 different locations.
Step 5: Destroy the printer.
Step 6: Destroy the hard drive of the laptop.
Well this seems like a good plan to me actually. I always thought that the device that was used to put Bitcoins into cold storage needs to be destroyed completely afterwards.
Why destroy the printer though?
People should be less greedy and start using their money to secure it. There would be a lot less hacks/thefts if they paid attention to security.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
MightyBTC

Activity: 87

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 05:28:19 PM

I would rather keep most of my bitcoins in an offline wallet or cold wallet. Keeping them online makes me feel at risk always...
Legions36

Activity: 103

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 02:24:04 AM

If u were to choose to buy trezor or use armory which would u rather have? Not to worried about the purchase of trezor as I like the concept. I also have a comp for armory too. If something went bad with trezors company does that mean u lose your bitcoins or can u still get them?
itsAj

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:12:25 AM

I'd prefer to sell them, I would be too worried to lose them all making some mistakes using cold storage wallets.

Although not trying to solicit any sort of business (just trying to gauge how people are thinking) do you think if someone were to offer you a service to "help you to do cold storage" with M of N addresses (i.e. that needed say 2 of 3 sigs) would that change your mind?

I think a better solution would be to simply hand over your BTC to someone extremely trusted who you believe will not be going anywhere for the term of your sentence and will only return your BTC upon receipt of a very specific password sent at very specific circumstances (that would be easy to replicate, hard to forget, and hard to guess).  
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:51:10 AM

If u were to choose to buy trezor or use armory which would u rather have? Not to worried about the purchase of trezor as I like the concept. I also have a comp for armory too. If something went bad with trezors company does that mean u lose your bitcoins or can u still get them?

The most important thing is to have your seed. All the major wallets are open source and anyone can see how private keys are derived from the later. AFAIK, Trezor uses BIP-32 which is a open standard. Worst case Trezor goes out of business and somehow deletes all their code from the web. I'm sure someone will have kept a copy of the code and will be able to help you out.

Trezor is like Armory or Electrum offline computer on a chip. There is still an online part that you need to install on a regular computer but Trezor removes the need to do a USB key dance. Personally, I don't mind the USB transfer because I rarely have to spend from cold storage since I keep a hot wallet too.

Zawamiya

Activity: 526

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:03:24 AM

Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue

I would put some in blockchain, some in wallet and some in cold storage.
lyth0s (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 07:20:50 AM

Not that I have that many (I wish!), but how would you store >100 Bitcoins? The easy answer is just to say "create 1 offline/cold wallet and put them all in". But what about risk management? IE how do you store a very large value of coins while managing risk against hackers, forgetting passwords, the obvious need for at least 1 hot wallet, portability, easy of use, house fires, EMP bomb's (lol), or if a foreigner had to flee a country while taking no assets etc etc.

I'm looking for real responses and ideas. Please keep the trolling to a minimum Tongue

I would put some in blockchain, some in wallet and some in cold storage.

Yeah I think this is honestly the most logical way of doing it. I may add a trezor on there for an easier version of cold storage too.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 07:57:39 AM

I'd prefer to sell them, I would be too worried to lose them all making some mistakes using cold storage wallets.

Although not trying to solicit any sort of business (just trying to gauge how people are thinking) do you think if someone were to offer you a service to "help you to do cold storage" with M of N addresses (i.e. that needed say 2 of 3 sigs) would that change your mind?

I think a better solution would be to simply hand over your BTC to someone extremely trusted who you believe will not be going anywhere for the term of your sentence and will only return your BTC upon receipt of a very specific password sent at very specific circumstances (that would be easy to replicate, hard to forget, and hard to guess).  

I'm currently holding some btc for a sister-in-law because it's too technical for her, and she doesn't know how to manage wallets and backup. The cruxes of bitcoin for the old generation or the non technical savvy crowd.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:01:28 AM

I hear Mark Karpeles is offering bitcoin storage solutions but you have to lock your coins in for 2 years and cost of storage is around 75%.  Better to do this then lose 100% via someone hacking you or wallet failure accident. 
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:15:04 AM

I hear Mark Karpeles is offering bitcoin storage solutions but you have to lock your coins in for 2 years and cost of storage is around 75%.  Better to do this then lose 100% via someone hacking you or wallet failure accident. 

Nice joke, you forgot to mention that those coins will be held in escrow by governments around the world while a lawsuit and hunt for him occurs in case of any incidents  Wink

gelar24

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:27:50 AM

I would not dare to save a lot of bitcoin wallet afraid of something that is not desirable, it is better to exchange real currency is more useful for a lot of people Smiley
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 08:42:41 AM

I think the best choice is subdivide 100 btc  in 100 addresses different , 1 btc in each address . I suggest also to use electrum is easy ,strong  and secure.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: